Scoop

DStv yanks “I Am Cait” after Complaints from Nigerians

I Am Cait
For the second time, MultiChoice Nigeria has removed a transgender-themed show from DStv and GOtv. Last year, it was “I Am Jazz“, a docuseries on a transgender teen and now it is Caitlyn Jenner‘s show “I Am Cait“.

Popular reality television programme, “I am Cait” which aires on the E! Channel will no longer show in Nigeria following complaints by Nigerians.

The top television company succumbed to pressure from the Nigerian market, adding that the docu-series had been removed from the DSTV channel 124 and GOtv channel 24.

The company assured viewers that they review client’s complaints and ensure that their interests were given priority.

According to their official statement, “The company also reminds their subscribers that Dstv and Gotv decoders are encrypted with the parental control feature that empowers parents with ultimate control over what young viewers can watch. The company also encourages parents to make use of this feature as much as possible to ensure that their children only watch what their parents deem appropriate.”

1. Author Unknown

May 26, 2016 at 5:14 am

Awon ode. Ignorant bunch. Wish they could complain about corruption and lack of infrastructure in the same manner.

• Ano

May 26, 2016 at 8:35 am

The thing is, we never really hear these complaints until the said shows are “yanked” off the DSTV

• Bola

May 26, 2016 at 7:48 pm

It wasnt a great show so. Happy to see it go. I’m sorry but bruce is grosse

• ME

May 26, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Now you know Nigerians complain EVERY blessed day about the corruption and lack of infrastructure. I mean every day. If you do not know this singular fact, then you are truly the ignorant one.

2. Udegbunam Chukwudi

May 26, 2016 at 6:34 am

Bloody – hypocrites. Long live torrents.. If na the depravities wey dey Big Brother franchise, una go sign up one time. Mscheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

3. o

May 26, 2016 at 6:54 am

Do something about your pricing, since you claim to “review client’s complaints and ensure that their interests were given priority”

4. badsharpguy

May 26, 2016 at 7:10 am

way to go I love E but that show makes me sick as in literally wanna puke

5. suzie

May 26, 2016 at 7:14 am

better…..

6. anonymous

May 26, 2016 at 8:35 am

Nigerians are just the biggest hypocrites ever, you don’t have to watch it if you don’t like it, you have the option of switching channels, what of others that want to watch? Dstv are cowards for bending to these people’s senseless demands, no gay or transgender person is forcing their lifestyle down anybodies throat in Nigeria, whether una like am or there would still be LGBQT people around and you guys will have to deal.

• anonymous

May 26, 2016 at 8:36 am

“like am or not”

7. Ariere

May 26, 2016 at 9:18 am

If u dont like the show, then don’t watch it. Its that’s simple. I don’t care for the show, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its audience. Its serving a purpose which is to educate and enlighten and remove the viel of stigma about Trans culture.

Why should parents even allow their children to watch E!. Nd isn’t the purpose of decoder’s parental control feature to block inappropriate visuals from the sight of children?

What’s the sole purpose of parenting? Isn’t it to prepare ur child for the world as it presents itself. Life isn’t pretty. It wasn’t meant to be. Gays and Trans live amongs us. They have a community and its growing stronger everyday. Dont u watch the US presidential election? Every candedate must have a plan for them in his running years. Kids need to know and respect them as a people. What happens then if u child becomes an employee or tenant of a Trans? They exist!

Nigerians and their pseudo hypocrisy. SMH

8. keke driver

May 26, 2016 at 9:28 am

Decoders are encrypted with the parental control, IF you’re not comfortable watching a programme, kindly block or move to the next one….shuuuu?

9. Haddy

May 26, 2016 at 9:46 am

Na wa o. Nigerians and their misplaced priorities. I do not care for that show but there are people who do. If you don’t like it, wakapass is always an option. Wish we had the sense to be able to recall erring senators or tackle unpopular government policies this way. What a shame.

10. Princess..

May 26, 2016 at 9:53 am

I’m glad they finally had to remove this off their cable..
    Like seriously what do we stand to gain watching this man all the damn time?
    Nothing! .

Thumbs up Dstv.

11. reni

May 26, 2016 at 9:58 am

Its times like this that i am reminded that whatever the challenges I love my country. We just dont have time for ‘iranu’…lol. No hatred against Bruce Jenner as a person o….but just dont come and put junk on our screens, abeg, Parental control or not. Will we use parental control when a guy decides he is now a ldy and wants to share our rest rooms…abeg leave trash for LAWMA…LOLs
    Long live Nigeria….Bless

• ME

May 26, 2016 at 9:45 pm

amen reni, amen. lol

12. www.thelmathinks.com

May 26, 2016 at 10:07 am

DSTV you are a bunch of liars! I don’t care about Bruce Jenner but do not freaking lie that you listen to viewers’ complaints. We have been complaining about your rates forever and the only thing you do is keep increasing them. Even when you were taken to court and given an injunction, your lawyers (bloody sell outs IMHO) found a way around it and trust our judicial system, nothing was done after that. Ok fine, lets say you can’t reduce your rates, why cant we operate a pay as you go system for those who would rather use that? On days it rains nobody can watch for a single thing for a whole day or several days on end, yet we pay for it. There’s no light and you’re not using TV, you still pay. Anyhow, please stop lying that you listen to viewers’ complaints.

Ps, like someone said above, we only hear about these complaints after the show has been pulled.

13. Gistme

May 26, 2016 at 10:09 am

So DSTV can listen to complain and actually act on it, biko hw far with all dis complain abt high subscription rates, pay by channel etc. yeye wich Nigerians complained? those dat dnt lik it dont watch it, who has dat tym

14. nnenne

May 26, 2016 at 10:33 am

How could DSTV even think about a program like that for Nigeria?
    What nerve?

15. kema

May 26, 2016 at 10:39 am

dstv u guys r jobless. so reduce price una no fit. just becos some people complained abt i am cait and u guys yanked it off. pls there are other channels. if u dont like it kindly watch another channel. pls dstv sld be on pay as u go hoha

16. Bey

May 26, 2016 at 11:08 am

Good news.

17. Pat

May 26, 2016 at 11:17 am

Not removed as at last night ooooooo

18. bella

May 26, 2016 at 1:05 pm

all of you claiming hypocrisy are the hypocrites. You Are the pll who accept the LGBT community but claim its a sin the bible . says guard your heart. i was one of the ppl who filled a complaint for for the jazz thing show. this are just measures because subconsciously you start accepting these things. waka pass ko!

19. Laila

May 26, 2016 at 5:59 pm

We got what we wanted.Call us hypocrites, that’s your problem. Ask yourself was the show popular is Naija? Hell no! All around the world,It’s the audience that determines what is shown on tv. We complain about corruption everyday, and FYI that includes what is shown on tv. Hypocrisy is keeping an unpopular immoral show on tv just so that you are perceived as liberal.

20. ME

May 26, 2016 at 9:37 pm

‘Nigerians are hypocrites’. Really? The only thing worse than being a ‘hypocrite’ is being a ‘confused hypocrite’ tossed about by any mentality the latest trends present. Would you buy a bicycle for the price of the latest Toyota just because the dealer tells you that “this bicycle is a car”. ..? “I am Cait” is basically a show about a man who has to be seen and accepted as a woman. That is mind twisting in a very disturbing way.
    He is Bruce Jenner not Caitlyn.
    But if you will accept such rewriting of history before your eyes, I suggest you read George Orwell’s ‘Nineteen Eighty-Four’ to get an illustration of what that type of life would be like where blue is pink, red is black and you have to accept this or be ‘evaporated’. In other words, you never ever existed and even your own family will accept this as the absolute truth.
    Chill. I know we are not in that type of dispensation….yet (and we don’t have to go there) but I hope people are able to see just how dangerous this whole idea is. This one is more than entertainment or being a bigot or a hypocrite.

• hian

May 26, 2016 at 10:04 pm

abeg abeg not everyone is that impressionable.
      not everyone is a christian and nigeria is a secular country. Imagine if they banned all shows where womens hair arent covered because muslims reported. Truly nigerians are christians and bullies. Yet you guys can watch empire and scandal where people commit adultery and fornicate. RUBBISH HYPOCRISY

21. BlueEyed

May 26, 2016 at 9:48 pm

See how Nigerian parents have misplaced priorities and very foolish parenting, the irony is just funny to me, this same parents scamper up and down to send their children to this same western world where this “people” are in the system and are gaining grounds and recognition from their government, pray tell me which world you are shielding your child from? The one you will still hurriedly send them to all in the name of having a better life? Or the inadequate one that they are already seeing here in Nigeria?

22. marvellous

May 27, 2016 at 10:01 am

i clap for myself.i clap for all who complained. abeg if u change your sex,who does it concern? and they dont really really have sense in that their house so I know they wont really have much to say. ve seen some of it too- they have Nothing. say all u want,complain all u want the show is garbage. i wanted to be a man too once, but would I go to the TV and start talking on and on? NO. if u change ur sex,na ur concern, what do you nah need support for? Seems like weakness to me. And Dude who said gay pple would always be around, who told you? films are getting to you.

23. marvellous

May 27, 2016 at 10:42 am

Look when the homosexual law was being bought up, I was arguing against it. I said bcos this wasnt a religious country,they had no right. But then I found out; laws arent just bought out of our religion, the culture of a people determines its laws too. so I change my sex,so? I dont need to teach my child anything about them. If you tell me you changed ur inner and outer body things…Good for you, you have the money, you have time… Why a TV show please? where u start adding jara and nonsense to make the show more interesting and tough and where we sit unconsciously taking it in. its not really that popular in the US sef. infact, do you want us to be like them? They commit suicide like hell. Read their books, watch their movies, watch them, they dont even know who they are! I was reading modernization theories in school and from US of course, they said before a country could be modern it had to do away with its culture. But all other theories antagonized that theory. Look at Korea, look at China; culture and modernization in a hand. Please if you want to spoil Naija, let me die first. And am still young,so you ll be waiting for a while. it takes only a minute for everything to change, let’s know this. little shits add up together. I know girls these days have sex more than their grandmothers did combined. Oju ti la. People fornicate and commit adultery. We see movies and read books where these happen but what I dont like is when you talking about these things or writing about them and you re trying to manipulate me into accepting what isnt write. Say this is shit you are doing, dont tell me to smile at a gay dude and say welldone because hes crying or doesnt have friends or wants tp he accepted for who he is. Who told you that who he is? Who told you that’s who you are? We are all more than that. Dont try to manipulate me, so after all my education and reading am supposed to just follow every trend? These same people, see them when another trend comes up. Life is what we make of it. Please lets do it well. I dont care for Jenner, its our thinking I want us to watch. we are the future abeg.

24. Turning Tide.

May 27, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Thank You JESUS! Hallelujah!

25. SouthAfrica

June 7, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Well we are sick of you nigerians telling us what we can watch in south africa. By the way we are also sick of you complaining about subscribtions as a result of your complaints we have to pay more and subsidize you so to speak. If you dont like dstv just get another service provider