Style

Made In Nigeria Designer Bag – Morin O. Luxury’s Latest Collection Is For The Chic About Town!

Richard Akuson

Licari-3080

Set in a cosmopolitan city, Morin O. Luxury’s Spring/Summer 2016 campaign is about the city girl with a million and one functions to attend; be it a gala, date with her girlfriends, fashion show or just some good ‘ol benefit gala, she always has a place to go to and a purse that is equal to the task.

Regardless of her profession or daily itinerary, one thing the brand’s target woman has is an impeccable taste for good purses made out of the finest leathers.

Although a  spotless campaign, we’d have loved to see a more practical campaign for the made in Nigeria brand. Perhaps a girl about town themed campaign in Lagos or Abuja would have brought the message a little closer to home.

But only a little more!

Licari-3142

Licari-3210

Licari-3218(1)

Licari-3218

Licari-3231

Licari-3258

Licari-3396

Licari-3425(1)

Licari-3425

Licari-3471

Licari-3010

Licari-3585(1)Licari-3010

Website: www.morin-o.com         Instagram: @Morin.O

Richard Akuson is founder at The PR Boy a boutique media and press relations agency for fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands with a specialty in raising the overall awareness of a brand, product or image of a company or person. Richard is also a weekly columnist at Bellanaija.com ('On The Catwalk' and 'Collection Conversations'), he's also a party host at The Front Row and a vlogger at Get Pink with Richard .Want to reach out? Follow @richardakuson on Instagram and @richardakuson on Twitter or send an email to [email protected]

1. michy

May 5, 2016 at 3:51 pm

hermes birkin wannabe

2. Flipping heck!

May 5, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I wish the Hermes “tribute” wasn’t so obvious in one of these bags.

It distracted me and made me wonder who else she’s erm…embodied in her brand.

Richard I agree with your comment, no issues with making it an international brand but a little bit of the Naija girl about the Naija town wouldn’t have hurt no one.

All in all, I am uninspired.

3. Girl interrupted!

May 5, 2016 at 4:42 pm

But these bags are made in Jakande art and craft market naa….

4. j'suis belle

May 5, 2016 at 4:53 pm

i encourage the designer but i wish you would have done it differently,because i join the other commenters to say it is toooooooo hermes like,sorry! try something else

5. Redcarpetexperience

May 5, 2016 at 5:00 pm

This is good work, I really don’t know why Nigerians can’t give kudos for clean work. Too much internet trolls.

Richard sure you are right about the campaign being spotless and more international themed.
    Perhaps the designer can take a cue and work with some of our best hands her at home to get the best.
    Sometimes driving quality campaigns in Nigeria can be a Herculean tasks.

Overall, I love the neatness of the bags.

6. john naphtali

May 5, 2016 at 5:13 pm

the bags are really awesome !

7. Onye

May 5, 2016 at 5:14 pm

But if it is made in naija, why dod she use only foreigners for ads? O ga oooo

8. SugaMama

May 5, 2016 at 5:32 pm

My first thought was “made in Nigeria, but you took them out of Nigeria to be pictured to come back to sell to Nigerians that it was made in Nigeria? Ok”
    I came here to comment about the fact that it was made in Nigeria, but the campaign isn’t made in Nigeria, so I’m glad you addressed that. Are we even sure these were made in Nigeria?

• Ahem!

May 5, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Onye and SugaMama,

Its about time someone exported Nigerian goods. Made in Nigeria, bought by the world. Its better than someone coming into your shop and starting to price your goods down to 5k or some other silly price because they don’t think its ‘original’ enough. No one complains when Nigerians including (Nigerian designers) are dressed head to toe in foreign goods and think that its ok. Lets stop spending our money on foreign goods and boost our own economy. So tired of the backwardness! Then you will say support our own.

9. Nancy4show

May 5, 2016 at 5:34 pm

1. I love the collection no be lie

2. There nothing wrong in drawing inspiration from anywhere.

3. In bag fashion I know the Hermes Birkin has been an inspirational prototype for bags brands from inception, there is no hiding the ingenuity used in diverse ways by other brands, it’s like the iconic designs of fashion designers like ….. in designing the……,as long as it is done in the brands own creative design.

4. Here, what I see are a designers creative work.

Biko

10. Ese Osagie

May 5, 2016 at 5:35 pm

SUPER PROUD OF YOU MORIN O! BIRK-WHO? MORIN O IS THE FUTURE,HECK Empire wants the bags.

11. Fashiongirl

May 5, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Nice concept, nice flow.

12. Kemi

May 5, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I really don’t understand some peoples argument.

Made in Nigeria Yes. Perhaps the target and aim is to export, does that not come into reasoning, that perhaps the bag maker also has dreams of going global.

• Tunmi

May 5, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Then don’t advertise on a Nigerian brand that caters primarily to Nigeria. Even the brands that serve as inspiration targeted their own first

• ITK

May 5, 2016 at 6:50 pm

How do you know she advertised? Bellanaija is a content curator. It’s not everything you see here that is advertisement especially if it doesn’t have sponsored content at the end.

• forbisi

May 5, 2016 at 8:18 pm

I wanted to reply ITK’s comment, but mistakenly loved it twice! Sweetheart, this is an advert campaign, she may not have paid Bella to post it but this is an ad campaign using foreign models. So the person that called it an advert is still right. Cos u don’t see sponsored content doesn’t mean its not an advert, she did a photo shoot for the campaign, bella just chose to use it. Gorrit?

• More representation...

May 6, 2016 at 12:34 pm

When the west wants to export is to us, do they use black models? Has their using white models stopped us from buying their merchandise? So why should we make compromises because we want to target a certain market. When will black people learn to celebrate their own? No wonder our race continues to feel inferior. Always looking for acceptance.

13. Nervy

May 5, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I know Morin.O and her bags are really good. Besides if you follow them on Instagram. You would see more of their local Content.

Maybe seen different themes from her PR Campaings, besides I think everyone has a vision for their business. Either going global or whatnot.

I love their work. #buynigerian

14. Belle

May 5, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I like the Fashion editor, who has an eye for good work. I don’t see anything wrong with the collection.

Kudos Morin.O

15. Shollyp

May 5, 2016 at 7:20 pm

The Morin.O I know also caters for Nigerian market. I have seen them at AFWN.
    They have people like Joke Silva patronizing them, what the heck. Bella naija commenters sha.

16. Barbiezee

May 5, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Some people just like to be first to comment sha. Good job Richard.

17. LabelQueen

May 5, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Made in Nigeria, but its obvious ur complex is inferior hence u had to get foreign looking models to validate ur products….which arent even authentic to begin with.

Thumbs down from me.

18. Girlygrl

May 5, 2016 at 9:06 pm

So which is the problem sef, that the designer used foreign models or what I don’t get, people should learn to stop commenting for commenting sake.

Is it a good campaign? Yes

Are the designs nice? Yes

Can the designer match international and local quality? Yes

Did the designers Ad Campaign meet local intent? Maybe not

Perhaps the designer has gotten the message and has taken pointers, but downright putting off someone hardwork and efforts is just a lousy excuse at appreciating quality.

Let’s learn to discourse intelligibly.

• Think!

May 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm

The question is, do you even have to tell a white designer to use white models? If an African designer has to be told before they include models of their own race, then something is wrong.

19. Commenter

May 5, 2016 at 9:25 pm

LabelQueen, it’s obvious you are a hater, why would do you think she made a lookbook, with foreign models to get validation. Can you please define authentic. These bags are 100% Original just so you know.

Thumbs down from you, but customers are already buying the bags. ????

If you can’t critic fashion, ask the experts.

Phew!!!!!

20. Blessing

May 5, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I really love Morin O products but I personally do not find appealing her choice of models for the campaign. Using a white model and a black girl who is fair skinned is TOO obvious and sends the wrong messages. But I feel she’s still trying to find her target market. Bella Naija is a Nigerian brand and is also well known globally.

21. Amh

May 5, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Beautiful bags. Kindly use Nigerian models in Nigerian background .you can have both looks. Then you cater for your Nigerian market and global as well. Honestly. The topic drew me to the post. U lost interest immediately I saw foreign models. Adjust please and market locally. Awesome job. Kudos.

22. Cheekie

May 5, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Nice bags,nice she’s showcasing her work outside Nigeria..I just wish she had at least used 1 black lady to also model the bags…..

23. Way to go

May 6, 2016 at 12:30 am

The other day see me trying to prevent my coins from dropping out of my designer wallet that had torn a little around the zip, looking up I saw this white girl making payment out of her ankara purse, gosh it looked so strong like it would last forever! I must get an ankara wallet or purse.made in naija, made to last.

• maknisy

May 7, 2016 at 2:22 am

try @MakNisy you will find us on instagram you will not go wrong with buying handmade bags or purses made in Abuja Nigeria..

lovely bag Morin O, people don’t understand the hardwork that goes into making these bags in Nigeria.

24. Lucyw

May 6, 2016 at 3:56 am

Hahaaaa

25. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

May 6, 2016 at 5:18 am

Shes Selling!!!

26. nystyle

May 7, 2016 at 11:59 am

Finally a classy made in nigeria bag i can carry ..not a fan of all those ankara bags..i love these and since they are leather,i can keep them for years.