Style

Richard Akuson: See Why I Wore Bum Shorts Around Abuja For a Day!

Richard Akuson

richard akuson

Richard Akuson

I recently collaborated with photographer Istifanus Zamani, creative director Russell Solomon and designer Aisha Abu-bakr Luxury Designs (AALD) for this fun new challenge that allowed me do something I wouldn’t do on a normal day, such as; consciously allow myself be in front of a camera and wearing bum shorts. I always dread being in front of the camera because I know I don’t photograph well, and I don’t wear shorts at all because I fear my legs might not just be that great, but I put all those fears behind me for this challenge. So, understand when I say I really, really went out of my way to do this.

My everyday style is actually basic. A good pair of denim pants or chinos and usually slippers/sneakers paired with a nice long-sleeve shirt or tee. Wearing this matchy set was first of all a tad too far-reaching for me, I prefer breaking up the flow of outfits with something else (in this case the white tee), but Russell wouldn’t let me, he insisted I do the pair and spent the rest of the 2 hours that it took us to shoot the pictures re-assuring me about how amazing I looked, even though I wasn’t there yet.

As you can see, my look comprised of a pattern-on-pattern set—a huge menswear trend at the moment—and a brown suede oxford shoe I love to death. I switched it down with a white tee that took me through the rest of the day.

image

After the shoot, I had a concert sort-of-festival to go to and needed something to wear. Truth is, I’d spent the better part of the previous night playing with the possibility of wearing the bum shorts from the photoshoot to the festival, I had messaged nearly ten people (including the organiser) asking if it was okay to wear shorts to Jam Rock. Now, a lot of you that know what Abuja feels like will know what I was battling with. Abuja isn’t Lagos. Wearing this in Lagos wouldn’t be anything new, in fact, I’m assuming it might even be quite long for some daring hearts.

Once we were done, we left the shoot location for a late lunch at some bukka that Istifanus swore by. The bukka, a typical ‘garden’ set up with kaftan wearing middle-aged men, in company of women, eating mostly swallow. That has never been my ideal set up, but in the spirit of my challenge, I decided to sit still and order for a plate of semovita and okra soup that I didn’t end up eating.

We were there for quite awhile and all through that while I was quite uneasy. I became the centre of attention as everyone’s gaze was in my direction. I particularly felt self-aware for the better part of that day as I went from one point to the other taking meetings and what not. I noticed men and women probingly staring at me. I overheard remarks, I saw them point hands and make faces. I’d love to say I didn’t care, but I did.

The rest of the evening went by pretty much the same. I however started getting really comfortable in my shorts as the day went by. I met up with Russell and my new friend Rasheed joined us shortly at the festival. We all had something to drink; Russell a piña colada, Rasheed a beer, and I had chapman. And as luck would have it we all shared a table with two gorgeous law school students – Yvonne and Odochi who told me I’d “really hot legs for a man” and somehow, that one compliment made up for the day-long discomfort I’d to put up with. In fact, my hot legs got us talking, my hot shorts was the conversation starter and now, my bum shorts challenge got me two new beautiful friends that I didn’t know I needed.

How’s that for a challenging day?

Richard Akusonimageimage

More of my not so fabulous pictures? Check me out on Instagram: @richardakuson

Credits

Photography: Istifanus Zamani | @xamanistudios
Outfit: Aisha Abu-Bakr Luxury Designs | @AishaAbubakrLuxuryDesigns
Creative Director: Russell Gabriel Solomon | @russellsolomonhq

Richard Akuson is founder at The PR Boy a boutique media and press relations agency for fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands with a specialty in raising the overall awareness of a brand, product or image of a company or person. Richard is also a weekly columnist at Bellanaija.com ('On The Catwalk' and 'Collection Conversations'), he's also a party host at The Front Row and a vlogger at Get Pink with Richard .Want to reach out? Follow @richardakuson on Instagram and @richardakuson on Twitter or send an email to [email protected]

1. Ghen Ghen

May 14, 2016 at 10:58 am

I really cannot!
    I just can’t!

• JustMyComment

May 14, 2016 at 1:48 pm

For those with negative comments, he very obviously went out of his comfort zone to do/wear something that he knew wasn’t going to be 100% okay with others and would lead to some awkwardness for him. He tried something new and pushed the limit on fashion in a rather conservative city. For that, I think he should be commended. I’m not particularly into his style or the majority of articles he writes on BN, but I won’t knock someone for being different or eccentric. Hats off to you, Richard, for being yourself! It takes guts to be yourself in this world of overly judging and pessimistic people.

• Kadara

May 14, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Kudos to you for trying something new and don’t mind the nay says who don’t have the courage to try jack but always have a lot to say about other people.

• NaijaGuysOpinion

May 14, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Nothing daring about the look, styling was a mess to be honest!!! Nice outfit but wrong body. I love that shirt, Aisha i tunning to ur IG page for this outfit.

Those shoe, ughhhh, and the the socks, ewwww!!! Better shoes next time. Nigeria is hot enough and this look should sell a cool feeling and not stuck up look.

I wont knock u down cos u gat great legs for a guy but not sure if there is need to flaunt ur backside tho. The shorts were too tight in my opinion. A lil loose fit wulda helped ur look get a relaxed welcome from strangers! Northern men like homoerotic tins sha, so u r fine.

Ur Skin is 200% nice, but why the sweaty face?? I think if u smiled more, the pics wulda been better. The whole model face didnt work as u dont have a bony face structure.

• Tosin

August 8, 2016 at 2:58 am

what is a wrong body? lol. wrong face again? na wa o. why not tell baba God to make all people have this so-called right everything?
      i suspect you joo. 😀 😀

• keke driver

May 14, 2016 at 5:40 pm

His ass is to die for…………lmao

• Damilola

May 14, 2016 at 6:47 pm

But Richard could have showed his legs in a different outfit that’s more flattering. Why bum shorts and emphasis on his butt with his underpants showing? I hope this is not men’s new fashion trend. Is this courage or pushing agenda of gay fashion. Why do folks hide under not being confident, so because I’m not confident in my body and to get out of comfort zone I have to be outrageous. Let me take nude pics and post it.It doesn’t make sense. Let me wear a feminine outfit to show my legs.

• Shut The Closet Door.

May 14, 2016 at 10:30 pm

All this is very nauseating, please. What is all this agenda to feminise men’s fashion? what is all this homosexuality in fashion? And, what is this, please? Just WHAT is this? Why, WHAT is that close up of his bum? All the psycho-babble preamble about comfort zone blah, and “”challenge””; even if he, as a grown man with no gun to his head was ‘forced’ by his photographer friends to do this shoot and strike the poses, it wasn’t the photographer friend who selected and sent these particular poses/photos to BN. I remember, when this just beyond-words RIDICULOUS ‘fashion’ trend of saggy pants began, I researched its origins on the university of Google, and there were old-timers in prison in the US, who recalled that, apart from the trend being copied into mainstream fashion and culture from the sagging trousers of prisoners who were not given belts, so they couldn’t use them to hang themselves/commit suicide after lights outs in their cells, or, as weapons (including the metal buckles) against other prisoners, these old-timers said that the homosexual and bisexual prisoners used to pull down their trousers even more than they naturally sagged, and that that was a sign to other homosexual prisoners (and guards) that they were willing and available to be someone’s b–ch.

Freemasons, secret societies, all have their codes and signs by which they identify each other in full public, unknowing view of the uninitiated. When I see all these unnecessary so-called photo/’fashion’ shoots, be it the guy who used to be some editor of a (Nigerian) women’s magazine who resigned and then did some photo-shoot featured on BN, wearing/not wearing some ‘clothes’, semi-nude, showing chest and showing bare thighs and legs and then seated the bare thighs and legs apart, etc, or this one in these shorts, and THAT close-up/zoom-in on his posterior, to me it just looks like guys that everyone already guessed/suspected were homosexual/bisexual, and they’re sending out secret (they think) signals to others in the same lifestyle out there. These photos make me wonder if this guy is advertising (as a commenter said: “”market must move.””) himself to rich men in Abuja, homosexual and bisexual sugardaddies who are looking for a ‘sugarboy’.

This is not a good look. For ANY reason. This repels. This does not inspire respect.

• jade

May 14, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Na wa o for this kin fashion. Me I no say men bum shorts dey. Unless, Richard is gay this is just awkward for a straight man to wear. He doesn’t even look too happy for his bum shorts debut.

I’m sure, there are some men out there loving the bum shots

• seriously

May 15, 2016 at 4:04 am

Wait, is this the real Bruno? Richard, is most likely gay. Only a gay guy will feel comfortable wearing such shorts. I guess, this is fashion for gays to attract other men. However, you can still dress better as a gay person without feminizing your outfit.

• Tosin

August 8, 2016 at 3:03 am

people need to get out more: tennis, basketball, sporting uniforms for men used to be shorter. were they all gay?
      fashion changes. free your mind 🙂

2. DocDeola

May 14, 2016 at 10:58 am

You have beautiful chocolate skin.

3. Nice

May 14, 2016 at 11:06 am

You look cute Richard 🙂
    I love the fabric color, makes a good contrast with your skin

4. Tutu

May 14, 2016 at 11:38 am

I can see your panty line. Hahahahaha!

5. Abuja Bored Girl

May 14, 2016 at 11:57 am

Never try this again,except you’re gay.

May 14, 2016 at 5:35 pm

@Abuja Bored Girl, thank you. As in “”NEVER””. Because already, to be honest, even before this …

And another (or the same?) thing: a grown man, who is not gay (assuming) and allows himself to be called a woman’s name (no matter who she or ten billion joe publics say or think she is): Riri?

NEVER.

6. Olofofo

May 14, 2016 at 12:10 pm

What is this biko?

7. Prince

May 14, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Choice.

8. Oma

May 14, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Richard, i laughed, to be honest, i laughed, not because there is anything wrong with your outfit, it just struck me as funny for some reason, but that is a good outcome, right? it made me laugh.
    Hilarity aside, i honestly think you are a good looking dude. I never actually noticed it before until now. You have a great chocolatey colour and damn good legs. That colour looks great on you, keep the cuteness coming!

9. Sai sai

May 14, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Hahahahahaha…thank you Richard for making my morning ?

10. Lotus

May 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm

So not cute! Now I wonder if I should take your fashion advice seriously.

11. Anonymous

May 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Lol you slayed in those shorts!

12. o

May 14, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Buhahahaha……??? you’ve got guts mehnnnn!!! Never knew guys could show off ‘panty lines’ too…lol?

13. Ariere

May 14, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Richie my guy! Lolz. Don’t mind them jhor; U look cool. Lolz

14. Mercy

May 14, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Looool!think it would have looked better on a skinny dude!

15. king Bey

May 14, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Richie my blog boo u got me laughing so hard lol with your postures…I love your behind,its so cute+nice skin

16. Hanee

May 14, 2016 at 1:45 pm

All I see is your botty ???

17. Kiri

May 14, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Gay or not gay?

18. Fola Coco

May 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Sometimes it’s all in our head,Richard you do photograph well. Your legs are fine,the shorts looked good on you. Maybe some people stared at you,because they wished they had the courage to wear your outfit..And like Doc Deola said you a beautiful skin tone.
    Hopefully you will take more fashion risks out of your comfort zone.

19. Anon

May 14, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Channelling some Tyson Beckford.

Looks more like the hem of his shirt. Seems a bit low for a panty line.

20. Lagos Girl

May 14, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Ok Richard now let’s get in formation! You slay, we slay! Looolz. Well, as a fashion blogger, you are allowed. But that pic wey u dem come zoom in to your bum bum, hahaha, market must move. Ok na.

21. Spunky

May 14, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Nice try! I won’t.

22. Zee

May 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm

It’s a nice outfit without the shoes. The shoes took your look back to the 80’s. And the outline of your undies did no justice, a freer short would’ve been a hit. Hope you dont mind us criticizing dear? Its a for a better you. You look healthy, well fed, strong and dependable like i could just lean on you all day.

23. ikem

May 14, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Lol . Richard I understand. Abuja is way back when it comes to fashion. I paired flora ankara trouser with T.M lewin white shirt brown shoe and black school bag to work on friday. I highlighted at Aya from there to the office …. The kind stare wey I get…. OH Gawd!!!!!!!! People from their cars pointing and all, One woman almost called me to asked me what was I wearing. I gave her the look. She immediately took cover. I got to the office. My supervisor was like. ” Oh boy what the hell are you wearing, what of the shirt of the trouser” richard I have to defend that outfit to my all boss till one of my colleague that’s also a fashionista came in and help. In abuja is hard to rock what you have in mind. I hail yo For your courage. That’s what fashion is all about . COURAGE.

• Ephi

May 14, 2016 at 4:12 pm

“What of the shirt of the trouser” lmaoooo!
      Thank you for making my day, I could just picture the conversation.

24. Blackcoffee

May 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm

smh what is this???

25. www.thelmathinks.com

May 14, 2016 at 4:57 pm

You actually have a nice ‘bahind’ and nice legs.

26. me

May 14, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Batty

27. Laila

May 14, 2016 at 5:18 pm

You look like a little girl, is that the look you were going for?

28. Big Tee

May 14, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Richard…. you have allowed me to live my life through your risks; you and I have almost the same stature, I wouldn’t dress like this now, because you have given me a format of what I would look like if I wore bum shorts, so thanks, you have been very helpful……

29. Princess

May 14, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I happen to be one of those who gave you horrible stares. First and foremost those shorts were way too tight and you couldn’t sit down. You were wincing trying to sit. Oh well it was even more weird that your friend had your top on and you finally came In Like 2 hours later with the shorts… I kinda concluded that you guys were “together”. Your story explains the short however never forget that in Africa especially you dress the way you want to be addressed.

30. Suwa

May 14, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Bruno Bruno! Sannu fa.

31. charis

May 14, 2016 at 11:02 pm

You have beautiful skin?

32. Ewa

May 15, 2016 at 8:04 am

Hi Richard, I think you’re trying toooooooo hard.. Take it easy ehn. You will make your mark no doubt.

33. Tunmi

May 15, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Some folks can writer an entire dissertation sha. I like the pants. They just appeared too tight and uncomfortable.

34. Nunulicious

May 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Fashion confuses me at times.
    which full grown adult man would want to wear this? Isn’t fashion supposed to produce What can be worn?

also, What is courageous about doing something you’re not comfortable doing? Something that you know doesn’t appeal to even you personally not to talk of the community in which you belong?

35. Jennelle

May 15, 2016 at 5:48 pm

U too talk! And this for what???

36. hezekina pollutina

May 15, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Richard, its not lagos fashion week yet, wink-wink….

37. Mondela

May 16, 2016 at 5:43 pm

This is the gayest shit ever…smh

38. Atuba

May 31, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Mahn, this is crazy. I’d say you look exceptional. weird but cool. Yup!

39. aj

June 7, 2016 at 1:05 am

lmaoooo this is the article I was looking for! found it at last! you look ridiculous in your bum shorts with your big butt like Nicki Minaj! haha

40. Bill

August 31, 2017 at 6:11 pm

If someone else’s clothing creates weird feelings inside of you, someone else’s clothes are the least of your problems..

Try educating yourselves, and you’ll be happier.. Ignorance to the truth of the world is a choice.

Time for some to make a better one?