Style

BN Style: Read all about it! Latasha and AboutThatCurvyLife.com Take New York for Full Figure Fashion Week & CurvyCon 2016

BellaNaija Style

Latasha Ngwube, a lifestyle journalist, has a brand new venture called AboutThatCurvyLife.com, a website dedicated to fashion, beauty, lifestyle and empowerment of the African curvy community. In this post, she’ll be sharing her experience in New York at Full Figure Fashion Week and CurvyCon 2016, read all about it!

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016IMG_9518_

It has been quite possibly the most hectic yet rewarding week of my life and I am so grateful for the opportunity to walk confidently in the direction of my dreams. This New York trip was so long in the planning and I must admit there were times I thought it would not come to pass but God is so faithful and before I knew it, my team and I were headed to the Big Apple (New York) to cover Full Figure Fashion Week and CurvyCon.

Between all the events, parties and networking opportunities, I barely had a moment to myself; but one thing I will never compromise on regardless of time or how busy I am, is how good I look. Join me as I walk you through the best week of my life and all the outfits that went with it.

Note: #BuyNigerianGrowTheNaira is not just another cutesy hashtag, it’s a lifestyle.

Tuesday 14th June

We got into the city after a 24-hour trip through Paris but we had to hit the ground running. With the current economic situation, immigration lines were significantly shorter and we weren’t sure if the joke was on them or on us which strengthened our resolve to make this trip as successful and fruitful as possible. With steel in our backs and grit in our eyes, we hopped into the first cab we saw and headed to the apartment of our wonderful host Toyosi Phillips in the painfully hipster neighbourhood of Williamsburg – where you’re always a stone’s throw away from a coffee shop or a guy with a perm.
We had a catch-up lunch at Sage which quickly became a firm favourite and strategized for the coming week. With barely enough time to catch our breath we changed quickly and headed to the Fruit of the Loom: Fit For Me Event hosted by celebrity stylist Denise Caldwell.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016Tuesday_

I wore a gorgeous Couture by Makioba dress with a unique print and on-trend fringing. I accessorized with my trusty Chloe sunglasses and after a day of travelling and some seriously cramped feet, I decided to with a cute pair of lace up flats from Topshop.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016Tuesday 3_

Latasha with Frankie Tavares, Rosie Mercado and Cheyenne Russell

As with any Fashion Week, in the midst of the chaos, trying to hail a cab, we bumped into plus size models Frankie Tavares, Rosie Mercado and Cheyenne Russell who were hurrying between rehearsals. You never know who you will bump into on a street corner in NYC so we made sure we captured with moment with a group photo.

Wednesday 15th June

With a first night in New York officially in the bag, the next day was all systems go as we headed down to the exclusive Blogger Brunch with plus-size retail giant, Avenue. I decided to go smart casual for the day in a classic black Lane Bryant jumpsuit, a statement Emmy Kasbit blazer and Tejuosho market’s finest tennis shoes.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016Wednesday 1_

The event was titled ‘Feel The Love’ and we were definitely treated with love, welcomed with warm smiles and it seemed they had been expecting us. ‘You must be the ladies from Nigeria, Africa that we have been expecting’, said the brand manager Erica and we laughed. It seems AboutThatCurvyLife.com had made already made its presence known through the blogosphere well before our arrival and it felt good.
After the presentation we had bants with Gwen Devo who officially invited us as her guests to the famous All White Curves at Sea Cruise later on that day. We also reconnected with our dear friend, Madeline Jones Editor of Plus Model Magazine who was pleasantly surprised to see us back at FFFWeek (Full Figure Fashion Week) once more.
We ate delicious Panera paninis, sipped on orange juice and caught up with our favourite blogger friends including Amanda Monty from Huffpost, the stunning Nicole Simone from Curves on a Budget and TLC’s ‘Big Women; Big Love ‘star, Sabrina Servance.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016Wednesday 2_

After brunch, we took to the streets for a quick photoshoot before before dropping in to talk to Buyer, Bijou at Lord and Taylor and confirm our attendance for the VIP Lunch the following day.
Having managed to squeeze some free time in-between events, we headed to a taping of ‘The Daily Show with Trevor Noah’ and were treated to a bit of South African wit, right here in NY. Trevor is even more gorgeous in person but that’s beside the point. The show was brilliant, we were impressed by their preparedness and laughed till tears rolled down our cheeks as expected.

After the taping, we headed to a dinner meeting with AJ and Esosa of brand recognition app, Co-Sign. We met them at Max Brennans, a chocolatier/ restaurant and we were treated to a sumptuous meal, so much so, there was no room for dessert.

Thursday 16th June

Today, I went all out casual and rocked my favourite Orange Culture ‘Etched Journey’ sweatshirt with a Zara hi-lo skirt and Nike trainers. I accessorized with a Rockus London necklace, a Neiman Marcus clutch and once again, my trusty Chloe shades.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016THURSDAY Orange Culture 1_latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016THURSDAY Orange Culture 2_latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016THURSDAY orange culture3_

Our first event was the Celebrate my Size Expo sponsored by Plus Model Mag where we met with representatives from Lane Bryant, Ashley Stewart and Fruit of the Loom. There were an array of vendors selling clothing, accessories and shoes all catering to the curvy community and we discovered some new talent including fashion brand ‘Yona’.latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016THURSDAY EVENING_

Ene Maya Turban

Ene Maya Turban

After Celebrate my Size, we had to rush back to Tosfa’s apartment and do a quick change for the highly anticipated Legends Runway Show featuring veteran plus-size models, women who paved the way for the models we know and love today.

Friday 17th June

Today was to be the most jam packed day with a VIP reception and presentation at Lord and Taylor and the legendary masquerade ball. I wore a voluminous Sally Bawa two-piece outfit, paired with IllestEva sunglasses, a statement emoji clutch and my gold Michael Kors sandals.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016FRIDAY_

For the first time all week, we were not late having now figured out the New York traffic situation, which Lagos doesn’t even hold a candle to, (Lagos 1- New York- 0). As we took pictures inside the department store, like a vision in white, Hayet Rida ascended the escalator and stepped off with a sunny smile and greeted us warmly to which we responded ‘Akwaaba Hayet’ because we’re Pan-African like that. She posed for some pictures with us and we caught up on how our respective fashion weeks were going.

Hayet

Latasha with Hayet Rida

The presentation itself was informative and very well styled with relevant and interesting commentary. They presented Melissa McCarthy, Mynt 1792, Michael Kors, Jessica Simpson and Ralph Lauren all in plus sizes. Not many people know these designer brands do plus sizes so it was eye opening all around. The evening event was a masquerade ball which was preceded by a fruitless, goose chase through Party City in Union square and ended up in a DIY situation but read all about that on AboutThatCurvyLife.com (ATCL).

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016IMG_20160618_161743_

We had to dash home for a quick change and I put on my one-of-a-kind Couture by Makioba lace insert/cold-shoulder dress, the material of which was intended for my brother’s traditional wedding. I was sadly missing the wedding but I decided to honour the nuptials all the way from here by wearing his material prom style and rocking it at The Mercury Ballroom of the New York Hilton Midtown. We hooked up with Nigerian plus-size designer Tosfa and popular plus-size model Wema Enofe who both looked like visions in Tosfa designs. The Nigerians were definitely in the building.

Saturday 18th June

Saturday was the culmination of Full Figure Fashion week and CurvyCon and therefore our busiest day yet. The team split up in a bid to cover every event and get all the content we need. My second in command went to CurvyCon to get some street style shots and get some soundbites from the event.
After dressing up all week, for the finale show on Saturday, I decided to flip the script and chose a Couture by Maki Oba monochrome graffiti jumpsuit with fringe detailing. I accessorised with a blue leather statement necklace and a gold cuff.
Jumpsuits are such a great alternative to dresses because I planned on being super busy and wanted something chic and practical.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016SATURDAY_ latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016SATURDAY 2_

We were treated to an award show which honoured the wonderful women who have contributed positively to the plus size industry. This was followed by a runway show from a range of plus-size designers including GatsbyLady, Ashley Stewart and Iyana Couture.
I must really commend Ms. Gwen DeVoe the founder and organiser of FFFWeek for putting together such a necessary and important event which seeks only to support and provide a positive and empowering platform for plus-size women.

Sunday 19th June

Sunday was somewhat a day of rest for us as we had a chance to have a breather and really explore the culinary offerings of the city. For this adventure, I had to dress light and easy. The concept of “Sunday best” in Williamsburg is really a different idea from what one is used to in Nigeria however one must draw the line somewhere and I refused to compromise on colour. I had to make my statement regardless and I did in a gorgeous Camilla caftan scored from DesignersClub Lagos.

latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016SUNDAY 2_ latasha curvycon full figure fashion week new york bellanaija june 2016SUNDAY_

I felt like a rare bird with exotic plumage, egged on by my Anna Karin Karlson ‘MagPie’ sunglasses. After the food went down, we spent the day planning future ATCL activities while catching up with the rest of the team in Lagos. It was a good day.

For more information:
Website: AboutThatCurvyLife.com
Twitter: @latashangwube
Instagram: @atclstreetstyle@aboutthatcurvylife, @latashalagos

1. osa

June 24, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Latasha momo. Be decieving urself and making you feel better by describing urself as curvy. Kontinu.

• Ogo

June 24, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Stay there and be hating

• tamunotonye

June 24, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Bitter soul

• Nahum

June 24, 2016 at 8:33 pm

You are very evil Osa. Latasha is extremely beautiful and I must confess that I am very jealous of her right now. I wish I could rock my curves and love my shape like she does. She is so fierce!!!

• Corolla

June 24, 2016 at 8:36 pm

I am not a fan of Latasha, but guess what Osa, she is living her life, loving herself and looking darn good. Why spew unnecessarily hate? If calling herself curvy or any other label makes her feel good, who are you to try to drag her down and ruin her confidence? I mean, did that comment make you feel good? Yet, you will go to church on Sunday praying for a blessing, but not remembering how unkind you were to a fellow human. People who spew unwarranted negativity disgust me! Osa you disgust me.

• Corolla

June 25, 2016 at 12:22 am

*unnecessary

• lacey

June 25, 2016 at 1:18 am

My dear,nor be everybody wan be lepa shandy! She looks great and fabulous! If you have got the curves,rock it! That is how some ladies will loose weight and start looking gaunt, the man wey even dey deceive them to slim down,go leave them go marry orobo!

• osa

June 25, 2016 at 1:44 am

You people are just liars. Its nice to let others around us be fat so we look ‘slim’. Truth hurts i know.

Its the same way people get jealous and can’t handle the fact when an obese/fat /overweight person loses weight. See the evil comments lepacious bose recieved over her weight loss journey.

People will start saying to them ‘you look nicer fat’ etc but secretly wishing they themselves could lose that much weight. By definition lataasha looks obese and should lose weight but no some liars here will tell her she is beautiful and al good. What of health concerns? See her thighs for cyring ou loud!
      Fact is that she is too too fat! Shikena

See whether she will not flaunt pics on social media if she loses as little as some weight. She herself deep down in her mind would want to lose weight.

• Me

July 1, 2016 at 8:27 am

Osa the only way you can determine if someone is obese is by calculating their BMI so unless you have done that don’t go insulting people

• Judith

October 31, 2016 at 7:29 am

Jealously is really ugly. Trying to pull another person down is just despicable. Only insecure people go out of their to express such feelings…On a very brighter note- well done Latasha! You go girl!!!

2. Sade

June 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Latasha stop deceiving yourself and get healthy

• sisi eko

June 24, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I am sure you must be her personal physician.

stop hating! she slayed each and every day.

• Nahum

June 24, 2016 at 8:34 pm

You wey you slim, you sure say you go pass check up? Hateful being. Don’t go and find your source of joy o, continue trying to destroy someone else’s. God does not like hateful people, just so you know.

• AdaM

June 24, 2016 at 8:48 pm

My dear Sade, being her size doesn’t mean she isn’t healthy. Being stick thin also doesn’t mean you are healthy either. People be comfortable in your skin. It will shock you she can do way more than any skinny person you see on the street. If that is her choice,let her be. That is why we have the freedom to CHOOSE. The next person can choose to be skinny,and it’s their perogative.We can never all look the same,that is why there is difference in Colour, Body type,Hair texture, etc. This is life. She slayed in every way possible. So run along and spread love.

• ATL's finest

June 24, 2016 at 9:56 pm

@ Sade not all skinny bitch looks cute. I have seeing a lot of skinny folks with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, & some are diabetic. So FYI, she’s beautiful, bold, cute & she slayed all thru. Who says u have to be skinny to look cute & healthy? So cut the BS out & let her live her life. Abeg Sade what’s your Social media name? I wanna see how skinny you look since your can open your rotten mouth to talk about Latasha.

3. maymay

June 24, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Hehehe na wa o..everybody wanna b noticed.anyway,i love ur courage shaaa, whether fat or curvy pls lols, pass me d popcorn

4. Ocean Beauty

June 24, 2016 at 5:49 pm

The amount of hate on this blog keeps increasing. Why???????

5. Nne Umu Boys!

June 24, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Keep up the good work darling!! At least you will restore the confidence of plus size women as they journey on (hopefully) to healthier weights. Because the honest truth is that no matter how much anyone tries to make being over weight fancy, it comes with a lot of health risks.

Well done girl, you are one stylish plus size woman!

6. mrs chidukane

June 24, 2016 at 6:17 pm

@Osa, that’s a very mean thing to say. If she’s deceiving herself, it’s her funeral not yours. To think that’s all you could say after her article. You should check your attitude.

7. Life

June 24, 2016 at 6:52 pm

So much hate, two things that can never be satisfied the grave and our eyes. If
    you are slim or shapely you are wearing a waist trainer, if you are light skinned

u are bleaching, if you are fat or heavy you are unhealthy, if you are dark you are ugly, if you are rich you are a thief. You MFkers are never satisfied how many of
    you have a blog not to talk about a sense of style. How many of you have been t
    To New York or out of the country. Keep hating as you point a finger at her four fingers are pointing at your useless self.

8. Wanderlust _Trekeffect

June 24, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Pls can someone give me Info on where to draw the line between curvy and plain obese? I see some really obese people(not Latasha) in the pictures, in the background of the first photo.

• Bisi

June 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

? the lady in red, curvy ain’t even in her list. That’s the issue with things like things, same way modeling agencies can’t seem to draw a line between slim and anorexic.

• Mr. Egghead

June 24, 2016 at 8:58 pm

“christian mother” arms and legs are a good delineator

• Peace

June 25, 2016 at 5:02 am

Abi. The word ‘curvy’ has been so abused these days, so does it mean slim people are not curvy? The word has now become a euphemism to console fat people.

• Judith

October 31, 2016 at 7:40 am

Latasha carries herself with elegance and style. Curvy is knowing how to dress to suit your body type. Ignorant people believe that everybody was born to be thin. Not so. There are a lot of supposedly fat people that are healthier than their thin counterparts. Obese? Is excessive unhealthy weight. It can be seen in ones carriage, skin and constant tiredness….nothing like curvy.

9. el patron

June 24, 2016 at 7:05 pm

she is really sexy to me..there”s just something about her.
    hmmmmm beautiful woman.

10. tunmi

June 24, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Well done!!!!! I love the different styles I’m seeing. I always fear heels so it was really nice to see you in flats and tennis shoes. I’m proud of you and your team, keep it up oh

11. i no send

June 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm

i think she’s sassy and stylish..

12. Sammie

June 24, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Real.men love curvy women jare! All these bicycle frames that the media chokes us with. That Frankie Tavares in pic 2 make sense abeg!

13. The Bull

June 24, 2016 at 8:49 pm

what is the difference between Curvy, thick and obese?

• Alloy

June 25, 2016 at 4:44 am

The difference is your social status. If you’re an “ordinary” person, you are fat/obese/overweight. But once you are s celebrity/public figure you become “curvy”. Ta ha

14. AdaM

June 24, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Btw I love where she referred to her Tejuosho finest tennis shoes, hahahaha. Some for lie say na Gucci/Chanel/Givenchy/Versace/Yves Saint Laurent/Jimmy Choo/Brian Atwood (combined oo) tennis shoes.

15. Fifi

June 24, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I actually like all her outfits this is someone who dresses to suit her body type,everything look comfortable for her,nice 1 Tash, but u still need to loose some weight, cant be good for your knees carrying all that weight

16. Kenny Jossy

June 24, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I’ve nothing against fat women, as a matter of fact, i use to like them not until i tried slimmer ladies, i realize the difference when it comes to bedroom appointment. Slimmer women are easier to maneuver compare to fat slash curve chic. fat/curve is not healthy at all lets not begin to encourage obesity as curve this women need to hit the gym to keep fit.

17. Kiki

June 24, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Love all the outfits!

18. editor

June 25, 2016 at 4:48 am

Sigh. I wish I knew how she always looked so put together? She is quite big yet you see no rolls. Is it just picking clothes that fit? But when i try, to see no rolls, i have to go so big it is baggy. Is it body magic? The ones i wear still give me rolls. Please if anyone knows her secret- share with me. She is definitely very stylish and knows how to dress her body well!

• Tee

June 25, 2016 at 10:39 am

Actually dear she is one of those with a very good waist line- call her curvy or not she doesn’t have those folds or big stomach.

I know for sure she doesn’t wear body magic.

• Ivie

July 1, 2016 at 1:30 pm

She wears body magic almost everyday.

19. lantern

June 25, 2016 at 5:36 am

There is something that has bothered for a while. Why do so many people think it is unhealthy or such a bad thing to be on the big side? There is beauty in diversity, God made some really tall, average height and some short. Some light skinned, really dark skin and some in between, different boob and bum size , shape and location, hair colour and length and so many body parameters differs. why is so hard to imagine he made some sllm and some big. We all have our life challenges. Marital challenges, health challenges whether we are big or small in size though uniquely different but generally similar.

20. Ewa

June 25, 2016 at 8:35 am

Well done Latasha, I loved the article and dig your style.. You’ve given me some ideas. going to your website now.. Cheers

21. Olori