News

“I want my life back” – Nigel Farage Resigns as UKip’s Leader | Watch

Nigel Farage is stepping down as leader of UK Independence Party (Ukip), saying he has done his bit for the cause of Britain leaving the EU.

“During the the referendum I said I wanted my country back … now I want my life back,” he said at a press conference on Monday.

“I now feel that I’ve done my bit, that I couldn’t possibly achieve more…. I won’t be changing my mind again, I assure you.

I have decided to stand aside as leader of Ukip. The victory for the Leave side in the referendum means that my political ambition has been achieved. I came into this business because I wanted us to be a self-governing nation, not to become a career politician.

Ukip is in a good position and will continue, with my full support to attract a significant vote. Whilst we will now leave the European Union the terms of our withdrawal are unclear. If there is too much backsliding by the Government and with the Labour Party detached from many of its voters then Ukip’s best days may yet to come,” he added.

Watch below:

Farage’s announcement is coming 4 days after Boris Johnson, one of the leading voices in the Brexit campaign considered to be the favorite to replace outgoing Prime Minister David Cameron, announced that he didn’t want the job.

1. Mo

July 4, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Hmm…. Na wa. This guy stirred the pot well and is now smugly congratulating himself and going to rest while uncertainty reigns in the political and economic arena. C’est la vie. The saga continues….

2. Mama Lo

July 4, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Indeed he did. Not to mention his “incorrect ” estimates for NHS saving hmm. I’m pretty sure many people based their vote on these so called incorrect estimates. Oh gosh

• BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Farage is not an MP, he has no influence in Westminster, to say he quoted figure just shows how thick ppl can be.
      Remainers are only looking at the short term, in the long term the EU project is unsustainable, even if Brexit is not achieved, Brexit has definitely shaken up the system and will hopefully trigger much needed EU reforms

3. Ephi

July 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Ahhhh after getting the country into a mess, these guys are now leaving us in a lurch, Boris Johnson first and now Farage? Issorai.

4. Anon

July 4, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Marmite! Who will replace him – Douglas Carswell or Mark Reckless?

5. Iris

July 4, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Wow! These guys are real pieces of work. First Boris, now this.

6. Hmm

July 4, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Where is lala by the way?
    Economy has tanked, job cuts looming as companies move roles to other EU countries, rise in racism, loss of access to the single market. Is this what Leave campaigners anticipated as the outcome of their votes? Immigrants supporting an anti-immigrant campaign, this is how it always ends up – it boomerangs. And in any case, is it not when there are enough jobs to go round that you can benefit from not having Eastern europeans around to take the jobs? Well, na here we dey.

7. Hadee

July 4, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Lmao! He’s running away from the mess he created. The consequences of his actions will bite him the ass later on. Silly man.

• BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 7:58 pm

You need to be at least intelligent to understand the complexities of the EU and UK Politics, until then go and watch RHOA

8. Ethio

July 4, 2016 at 1:18 pm

biafrans have alot to learn from this drama, divided you fall… as in, you damage

• lacey

July 5, 2016 at 6:43 am

Biafrans got nothing to learn silly!Its the migrants from the EU that want to take over Britain!the media is over playing it!The FTSE 100 has bounced back,the UK want quality people in their country! The British people do not live in London!The people marching are EU immigrants who have been free loading on the British welfare system,who do not have voting rights on the matter!

9. Niola

July 4, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Politics, a trickster’s game………..Tony Blair did say there is a possibility Brexit may not happen in his words ‘the people have right to change their will’. Lol.. How this story ends we shall never know.

10. Felinda

July 4, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Well Don police arel. THANK YOU SIR. I SALUTE YOU. YOU HAVE DONE WAY TOO MUCH AND WORKED TOO HARD.

I truly respect all your hard work and blowing the whistle on all the beaureaucrats in Brussels and the fact that you were the only brave person to stand up to them face to face and tell them like it is. Without your whistle blowing many of us will be in the dark and not even know what is really going on.

I understand it’s timeto step ddown as your family come first and the fact that the death threats have increased on you and your teenage daughters. You draw the line when they start threatening your kids. You should not die for great Britain. You have done enough. Many idiotsddon’t see the good you have done. But I do and I want to say a bug thank you.

Someday they will remember you and understand by then it’ll be too late.

British police give war criminals like Tony Blair 24/7 protection and he’s still walking the streets for free yet they will not give you protection when you are getting daily threats of your daughters being raped or you being killed.

11. Felinda

July 4, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Lala don’t respond to any one. Don’t waste your time. they should sit there and just rant. Go back and join E. U. Continue sending 350 million pounds to the beaureaucrats. Refuse to face facts and what’s going on in Brussels, as ashown in the documentary ” Brexit The Movie” on youtube and refuse to discuss all the issues raised. Be sitting there concentrating on this immediate effect on the economy and the worse to happen if we continue to stay.

We can all agree to disagree. I will vote Leave a million times over cos unlike u I researched all the facts and this was our best option looking at Britain twenty years from now still in this cult called EU. . I didn’t just concentrate on immigration or that my teenage child can’t travel to EU without visa. I used my common sense to search deeper. And my mind was made up the minute that old senile hag called Jean Claude Junker on Wednesday 22nd June said with his on mouth there will be no reforms whatsoever. I was not going to vote remain after watching Brexit the Movie on youtube (coupled with the many other research I did) and this old hag still tells me the Day before voting there WILL NEVER BE Any chance of any future reforms of the beaureaucracy and 419 they are doing in Brussels. Junker helped me with my final decision before voting.

There is more to this. But only the intelligent 17 million British voter’s will understand.

• BlueEyed

July 4, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Girl Bye…..??

• BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm

• Why not?

July 4, 2016 at 3:27 pm

“But only the intelligent 17 million British voter’s will understand.”

To start with, you sound really deluded. So only those who voted Leave are intelligent? hehehe, indeed they are! It’s just unfortunate everyone is going to suffer the consequences together.

And why shouldn’t Lala respond? She wrote epistles upon epistles on why Nigerians in the UK (note Nigerians) should vote Leave and probably managed to convince some. It is only fair that she should be back to give her thoughts on the current situation and outcome. Se fini.

• Leadsom for PM

July 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm

What’s wrong with Nigerian’s voting leave? When I first came education was free, you even got a free grant, you could get on the housing register easily, you weren’t asked for papers every nook & corner, mortgages were more affordable. When they expanded the eu all that went out of the window, fees went up from £1k, £3k to £9k because of the excessive demand from EU students (coupled with labours educationx3). A welfare state with uncontrolled immigration is simply unsustainable &the cost was tuition fees. In some boroughs, housing registers even housing associations have been permanently closed for years for general public unless you’re yaba left worthy or an asylum seeker.

The EU protectionist policies (CAP) are very damaging to us & other africans agriculturally, we have loads of fertile land but we can’t compete with levels of subsidies given to eu farmers, to make matters worse, they then dump their excess on us driving more farmers out of business. But they’re ok loading us with more loans. An independent UK is now freer to trade with us and help us to prosper through trade instead aid.

• Ndi

July 4, 2016 at 8:15 pm

If you think UK leaving EU means they will now start trade agreements with Africa, you are on a looooong thing. The outside EU markets they are interested in are China, Australia etc, you better don’t dull yourself.

• Leadsom for PM

July 4, 2016 at 10:00 pm

@Ndi, don’t talk down your country, that so remain thinking…
      The opportunity is there should Nigeria wish to take it, Nigeria needs to be proactive and not wait for UK to approach them. Ghana is already looking to renegiate terms with an independent UK. Sit there be looking stupid.
      citifmonline.com/2016/06/25/ghana-to-renegotiate-trade-deals-with-uk-over-brexit/

• Why not?

July 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Old hag?
      You comfortably refer to someone as an old senile hag yet you go ahead to write “we can all agree to disagree”. Anyway, they’ve already started shouting at people on the streets to “go back home”, it won’t be long before someone shouts “old hag” at you on the streets.

12. FinchleysFinest

July 4, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Where is the Ngozi that voted “Leave” the last time?

The likes of Farage and Boris should be beaten…

• BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm

• FinchleysFinest

July 5, 2016 at 1:27 pm

@BlackandVotedLeave
      If you need to ask anyone to be intelligent..then talk to yourself and never ever come for me . I repeat never ever come for me .

I don’t care if you’re black and voted leave, You are entitled to the right to vote leave. I only have concerns about the promises made by Farage ,Gove and Boris and to think most people voted because of that. Do you really think we(British)n can have control over our immigration? Do you really think we can get a better negotiation with the EU? I won’t throw silly shades like you did but ask myself …while this uncertainties is/are flying over… from now till article 50 is triggered for the negotiation begins, do you know how many innocent people will loose jobs and be made redundant ? Are kidding me ?

How do you think its possible to have access to the single market without givin up our borders?
      or do you think there won’t be other access that UK will need and will have to forfeit this said 350 million pounds them Farage was promising will go to the NHS weekly?

After Brexit… last week.. i saw there wasn’t any concrete plans after all the campaign for leave … and there you go talking about you being black and you voted leave…

Like I said…NEVER …EVER COME for me … I dont even know what RHOA is and won’t bother looking it up….

13. Baby gurl

July 4, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Was in the UK at the time this baga was running his mouth and making bogus claims. Now that he has created a mess he wants a normal life it’s too disgusting I can’t even believe his reason. Anyway Uncle Jeremy we are waiting for you too o.

• BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 7:56 pm

14. Leadsom for PM

July 4, 2016 at 4:01 pm

UKIP started as a pressure group which then became a party but nonetheless has mainly been a single issue movement, those with some political understanding know that such don’t really seek power to run the country. Nigel never meant to run for ‘office’, he isn’t running away to let others handle the fallout – he’s not an MP, holds no government office so has so say in the direction of things. His work is done. His aim was to take UK out of the EU and with his help we have. YAY!
    With both labour and conservatives in disarray, UKIP, under new leader is ripe for picking up loads of votes in the labour north & tory south who may have been put off by Farage, he did become quite toxic to the brand. I think with brexit, a possible labour split & support for bremain, UKIP could be on course to become the major opposition party come general election. If someone like the lovely Gisela Stuart were to switch to UKIP then the other two parties would really be in trouble, especially if Corbyn stays. I hope he does.

15. FasholasLover

July 4, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I voted Brexit. Like l said when the discussion was raging here, l was undecided for a very long time. I am a very decisive person but, on this occasion l was very much undecided. One of my reasons then being that as an immigrant myself (being British is not enough. If you ain’t English then…) should l be voting Brexit? For weeks, my postal vote sat on my coffee table. It looked at me and l looked at it back. I spoke to friends, family, and acquaintances. read up as much as l could. I finally handed in my vote on the 23rd at my local council. Just like in all situations where the change mantra has been bellowed, there is bound to be uncertainty. There will be panic merchants, there will be volatility in the financial market and most certainly there will be yobs asking all migrants to go back home. It is expected. Britain is not pulling out of the EU tomorrow. There will be negotiations and there will be a lot of give and take. Never has a people been so divided. Bottom line is when voting is concerned, every learned person votes according to their convictions. The consequences will be paid for somehow. So, chill guys and lets wait. It wasn’t as if the leaders who wanted Bremain weren’t looking for some change regarding the union. Nobody was totally happy with the hand the union dealt the UK. We have some time to wait before article50 is invoked. And even then, there is a lot of work to be done. Do not be deceived. Whether Brexit or Bremain, the owners of the country will not watch Britain go down. This ain’t Greece.

• missnk

July 4, 2016 at 5:44 pm

who are the owners of the country? The old population who majorly voted to leave? The politicians who are all backing down? The young population who mainly wanted to remain? You think when the immigrants are kicked out, the proud british people will fill up the job vacuum? They are already shouting on the streets for people to go home. When the immigrants leave, the young ones leave for work purposes, who go come remain?

16. concerned9a

July 4, 2016 at 4:37 pm

When we made our points people shut us down with big theories and galloping into the sunset,..now you know Politicians can never be trusted…it’s okay shouting and being the rebel leader…but it takes someone really special to turn a country around…
    Boris and Farage suddenly noticed there’s a huge task ahead and also having to fulfill certain promises but never had the liver to see it through…

Here’s a racist attack on a British Born Presenter
    bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-36683083

17. BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I voted leave cos I don’t want to leave in the United state of Europe
    I voted leave because I don’t want my tax to continue to fund 10,000 plus EU employees that earn more than David Cameron
    I voted leave cos, I’m sick and tired of waiting ages to see my GP
    I voted leave because i’m firking sick and tired of racist Eastern Europeans
    I voted leave because, I will rather see the Queen spend my tax and not some alcoholic, nazi fatcat in Brussels
    I voted leave because the EU is stripping European nations of their identity and something has to be done
    I voted leave because I am anti-establishment – those firkers need telling
    I voted leave because the EU is a sinking ship – it’s only a matter of time
    I could go on……

• FinchleysFinest

July 5, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Good reasons up there…. I see why you’re so knowledgable about Brexit, EU and all the rules… Clap for your self OgaBlack VotedLeave

• Paul Thomas

July 5, 2016 at 6:25 pm

You can’t be serious .. your tirade is a disgrace and you ought to get real, stop your racist comments and think about the younger generation and what they will lose by leaving the EU. Unfortunately, it’s selfish people like you who have got us into this unholy mess .. Johnson and Farage obviously aren’t able to handle the mess they have unleashed. and are leaving the country in the lurch. Get real ..

• FinchleysFinest

July 5, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Thank you Paul Thomas for talking some sense into Mr or Mrs Black…….

Another point is : we told Scotland couple of years ago that we’re better together…and now we’re taking this guys out of the EU Against their wish because of selfish people with annoying reasons to leave the EU…. I can imagine someone like BLACK AND VOTED LEAVE got his citizenship by marrying someone in/from the EU with an arranged wedding.. they become citizen and they start to misbehave ….. enough said…

See who wants to see his/her GP quickly… dont we have over 55,000 EU nationals – NHS staffs . Why did he leave the EU nationals contributing heavily to the economy ?

BlackandVotedLeave….are you aware we so many EU guys and girls paying taxes too and so many Brits working somewhere in the EU?

• Finchley Dullest

July 5, 2016 at 9:05 pm

@Finchley you are unnecessarily full of urself. Argue ur points you can’t. Yet you are concerned about how someone got their citizenship. Shame on you dulladinho your mates are arguing u are talking nonsense. How did you get your citizenship? Idiot 1 of BN. Gbeke feeling funky. You don’t know what RHOA is.

18. BlackandVotedLeave

July 4, 2016 at 7:55 pm

*live*

• FinchleysFinest

July 6, 2016 at 8:08 am

@FinchleyDullest

You need epp… if all I have said here is no enough then I guess you should go and sleep… idiAt

19. Zero

July 4, 2016 at 10:49 pm

End time tinz…

20. Paul Thomas

July 5, 2016 at 6:18 pm

About time Farage and those very nasty, unpleasant people like him went .. I want my sanity back ….