News

Lagos Court Dissolves 21-year-old Marriage over Wife’s Inability to Cook

NAN

Illustrative Photo

Illustrative Photo

A 46-year-old woman, Aisha, on Wednesday lost her 21-year-old marriage to her husband, Ashimiyu, over poor cooking.

The petitioner, Ashimiyu, 54, approached the court and asked it to dissolve the marriage over his wife’s alleged poor cooking.

“My wife does not know how to cook, her food was always tasteless. Anytime she cooks and I complain about it, she will tell me to cook myself.

I started cooking my food because if I had continued to eat her food, I might have fallen sick.

My wife was very dirty; she will not wash or sweep the house. Everywhere in the house used to smell.

She kept packing used plates for four days or more without washing them and I was always doing the cleaning.

Aisha will go out every Friday and return on Sunday evening. During weekdays, she will leave home by 7AM. and returned at midnight and I dared not query her.

Aisha has turned my children against me, they no longer respect me and she will not allow me to correct them whenever they erred.

On several occasions, my wife and my first son tore my clothes in the public when I wanted to beat him for his wrong doing,” he said.

Ashimiyu said his wife was lazy, adding that she ruined the shop he equipped for her on three occasions.

But Aisha, a launderer, said: “I do not know why my husband stopped eating my food. I tried my best to give him good food but he was always complaining that my food was tasteless. I was not dirty as I was always cleaning the house”.

Delivering his judgment, the President, Igando Customary Court, Adegboyega Omilola, said the petitioner was adamant despite all mediations from the court and family intervention to save the marriage.

“Since the petitioner has insisted on divorce after several interventions, the court has no choice than to dissolve the union despite the wife’s claim that she still loves her husband.

The court pronounced the marriage between Ashimiyu A. and Aisha A. dissolved today (Wednesday); both parties, henceforth, ceased to be husband and wife.

Both are free to go their separate ways without any hindrances or molestation,” Omilola ruled.

1. Mr. Egghead

July 27, 2016 at 4:02 pm

| Aisha urged the court not to grant her husband’s plea, saying “I still love him”.

Na love pesin go chop? ?
    Don’t worry, brother Noble is on the way

• FindOut

July 27, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Lols

2. trudy

July 27, 2016 at 4:02 pm

lol… you were able to wait for 21years? Kai!

• FasholasLover

July 27, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Don’t mind him. Guy man has found another that makes his blood hot. That was how a friends uncle almost divorced the wife of his youth because she does not cook tasty meals and not classy enough. When they travelled from naija to london, the poor woman would bring tin tomatoes, rice, garri etc from Nigeria so she could cook naija delicacies for the man on landing. She did not know guy man was not happy. He felt embarrassed. He sha did not succeed in divorcing her but ended up marrying a second wife that did not know what to do with green peas. Human beings can be insatiable especially when the heart is no longer committed.

3. Noms

July 27, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Know your man and what works for both of you. Team #wifenotcook una see this one now. Different strokes for different folks.

4. Californiabawlar

July 27, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Lmaoo! The man has simply found another woman! 21 years without food already….how many more years does he even have to live that he cannot manage it like that? ??

This is the special type of oshisko that eats guinea fowl eggs!

5. Niola

July 27, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Bella Naija!!!!!!! hmmmm, you lots and over sensationalising, I read the whole thing and there were several complaints amidst the not being able to cook one but because of this new wifenotcook business in the media, you guys decided to make this the headline and of course feature it as a story….

6. Sebastian

July 27, 2016 at 4:19 pm

But why wait for 21 years? When its not as if she enrolled for a two-decade doctorate degree cooking programme and you are waiting for her to finish to know whether she can now cook or not.

7. Chic

July 27, 2016 at 4:19 pm

#WifeNotCook…

8. Toluwalope

July 27, 2016 at 4:22 pm

When love is not just enough. Add valuable substance to your love.

9. Sad

July 27, 2016 at 4:32 pm

The woman should have done more to keep her home,women must respect their husbands even after years of marriage,taking a partner for granted breaks the level of tolerance in them.

• Panda

July 28, 2016 at 12:09 am

lmao! the guy found another woman jare! imagine after 21 years is when he brings this ish up. when people where suggesting the crazy reasons the jews where trying to divorce in the bible, i thought it was a lie, seemed to far fetched, but these are the same humans we have today, even if it is true (i doubt it) marriage is so trivial these days that we break our vows because of tasteless food?

10. keke driver

July 27, 2016 at 4:48 pm

CC: @NobleIgwe

11. LemmeRant

July 27, 2016 at 4:52 pm

The ladies are gonna go cray on this one.

12. word

July 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Side eye to Mr Noble. Guy, say the truth now o! Not after ‘everything’ has dropped (trust me, ‘they’ will) u begin to sing #Wife&Cook

• Miss Ghana

July 28, 2016 at 7:31 am

habah! you people should let noble rest. he said he wont let her be cooking anyhow, not that she cannot cook

13. nnenne

July 27, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Am so ashamed of some Nigerian women.
    Why drag Noble into this?
    This marriage broke because of disaffection, not just cooking.
    If Nobel has decided that he needs a partner and not a subservient woman, how is that your business?
    Allow the guy to enjoy his marriage.
    To each their own!
    This is 2016.
    If you choose to slave in the kitchen for your husband, while the world leaves you behind, God bless you.
    Don’t expect that from anyone else!

14. Naijatalk

July 28, 2016 at 12:14 am

The level of idiocy laced in some of the comments on here – EPIC. How did Noble ever imply his wife cannot cook. She is his WIFE first and not his COOK. How did Noble ever get dragged into this? BN has 12 year old visitors it appears.

And if some of you truly believe a 21 year marriage broke down irretrievably SOLELY because of the cooking inability of one partner, then you can believe anything.

15. Jagged

July 28, 2016 at 1:19 am

Clearly discussing Marriage is Nigeria’s favorite past time. We deserve the government we get. I read a post from 2014 and I wonder where all those open minded and intelligent readers have been chased to by the anti feminism and spirikoko commenters

16. o

July 28, 2016 at 2:22 am

BN had to make the cooking part the headline when there are other reasons for the breakdown of the marriage….

17. *curious*

July 28, 2016 at 3:10 am

Hmmm…BN of life…na wa oo…that headline misleading much? Lol