News

“Left Behind” Series and “Why You Act the Way You Do” Author Tim LaHaye Dies at 90

Dr. Tim LaHaye

Dr. Tim LaHaye

The death has been announced of a Christian author and Evangelical leader Dr. Tim LaHaye.

The family announced the death on the Facebook page of the ministry he founded – Tim Lahaye Ministries.

“Thrilled as I am that he is where he has always wanted to be, his departure leaves a void in my soul I don’t expect to fill until I see him again,” Jenkins said of his co-author’s passing.

The statement said that he died in a San Diego area hospital, just days after suffering a stroke.

LaHaye co-authored the “Left Behind” series with Jerry Jenkins. The 16-books bestselling fiction novels were written between 1995 and 2007 and were set in the pre-rapture, rapture, and post-rapture era.

The series alone sold more than 80 million copies and topped the best-selling lists of The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Christian Booksellers Association.

LaHaye also penned 60 different titles that sold about 14 million copies in as many as 32 languages.

Lahaye was born on April 27 1926 and was an Air Force veteran.

In addition to his wife, Dr. LaHaye is survived by four children; nine grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; a brother, Richard LaHaye; and a sister, Margaret White.

Photo Credit: Facebook: Tim LaHaye Ministries

1. Marlvina

July 25, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Oh sad! I remember back in school reading each one of the Left Behind books. RIP Tim LaHaye.

2. AA

July 25, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Aww RIP Tim…

3. BIbie

July 25, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Wow! What a prolific writer!

4. lacey

July 26, 2016 at 12:29 am

Great writer!It was one of its books that I read about the 4 types of temperament !Please I need to. Read the book again! Choleric,,Phlegmatic,Melancholic and Sanguine! He was a great Man of God!Who says we cannot glorify God with our talents!RIP!!!

5. Kayla

July 26, 2016 at 1:08 am

And he left smiling, knowing that he has blessed so many lives.

6. Cindy

July 26, 2016 at 1:23 am

I mean, I’ve decided to name my sons Ryan and Lionel because of his ‘Left Behind’ series. That’s how much impact those books made on me lol. Learnt temperaments from him too. Now, this is what I call a fulfilled life. God help me achieve that. RIP sir.

7. Ruth

July 26, 2016 at 1:47 am

Your books helped me understand the concept of rapture and why I act the way I do. Thank you for sharing those wonderful thoughts with me. Rest in peace.

• Ibiza

July 26, 2016 at 9:15 am

It was a wrong interpretation of rapture. Merely to tease and appeal to the imaginative mind of the reader. Definitely not based on proper escapology.
      He was a good writer, yes. Did his books interprete scripture? NO.

• Ibiza

July 26, 2016 at 9:17 am

*escathology

8. gh_mikie

July 26, 2016 at 2:43 am

RIP!!

9. D

July 26, 2016 at 5:29 am

Rest in peace sir. Your work changed lives, including mine.

10. Californiabawlar

July 26, 2016 at 5:37 am

God will not allow somebody to lose their salvation in this country. You guys should see the horrible comments I’ve been seeing on threads. Folks are literally doing the samba on his grave!? The nasty things being typed?! And the comments will now have like 2k likes! You’d think he was the devil himself…just because he wrote about the things of God and rapture.
    Anyways Jesus should do and come…the world has lost its mind.

11. Baby gurl

July 26, 2016 at 7:49 am

Oh my I hardly ever finished any book while in high school. But it was only Tim Lahaye’s “left behind” series that could hold me spellbound till the very end. I was always frightened, shouting or crying while turning the pages. That series formed my life from my teenage years into adulthood and has shaped my thoughts and actions since then. I am such a huge fan. RIP Sir, heaven has just gained a master wordsmith.

12. issy

July 26, 2016 at 7:52 am

Rest in peace

13. Miwa

July 26, 2016 at 7:52 am

RIP Sir, your books impacted me richly.

14. ardnas

July 26, 2016 at 8:02 am

U will be greatly missed sir! RIPP!

15. DAME

July 26, 2016 at 8:31 am

As a stutterer i read books a lot and your books, both co-authored and all were books i devoured to keeo the taunting out. God bless you sir, you did well. Now say Hello to my mummy in heaven, she loved you too and wish her happy 3rd bday in heaven

16. Bennie

July 26, 2016 at 9:12 am

Rest in perfect peace

17. Eti

July 26, 2016 at 9:42 am

In as Much as many misinterprete ur writeups and teachings,There are many more whom still Value your great talent.Your Books taught both young and old,Rich and poor.Am a great Fan and have learnt alot from your teachings.May Your Gentle Soul and the Souls of all the Faithful Departed Rest In Peace.Amen.

18. LL

July 26, 2016 at 10:35 am

Great work done on earth. Left Behind was a series of books that erased my fear of The Rapture and made me understand the power of salvation. Thank you for doing what God sent you to do Tim LaHaye. Hope to see you in Heaven when the time comes.

19. Tru

July 26, 2016 at 11:55 am

RIP. Thank you for the gift of your lovely books and teachings.