News

Michelle Obama’s Stirring Speech Brought the Democratic National Convention to Tears

PHILADELPHIA, PA - JULY 25: First lady Michelle Obama acknowledges the crowd after delivering remarks on the first day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. An estimated 50,000 people are expected in Philadelphia, including hundreds of protesters and members of the media. The four-day Democratic National Convention kicked off July 25. (Photo by Aaron P. Bernstein/Getty Images)

PHILADELPHIA, PA – JULY 25: First lady Michelle Obama acknowledges the crowd after delivering remarks on the first day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. An estimated 50,000 people are expected in Philadelphia, including hundreds of protesters and members of the media. The four-day Democratic National Convention kicked off July 25. (Photo by Aaron P. Bernstein/Getty Images)

Michelle Obama, the first black first lady in American history, gave a profound 15-minute address to the Democratic National Convention that drew cheers, left some delegates openly weeping and went a long way to uniting and firing up the party for November’s presidential election.

PHILADELPHIA, PA - JULY 25: Former U.S. President Bill Clinton (R) claps during first lady Michelle Obama's speech on the first day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. An estimated 50,000 people are expected in Philadelphia, including hundreds of protesters and members of the media. The four-day Democratic National Convention kicked off July 25. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

PHILADELPHIA, PA – JULY 25: Former U.S. President Bill Clinton (R) claps during first lady Michelle Obama’s speech on the first day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. An estimated 50,000 people are expected in Philadelphia, including hundreds of protesters and members of the media. The four-day Democratic National Convention kicked off July 25. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Former president Bill Clinton was also in the audience on Monday – caught on camera mouthing the word “wow” as Michelle Obama delivered one of the most passionate speeches of election year. On Twitter, President Barack Obama wrote: “Incredible speech by an incredible woman.”

She made reference to a speech made by Hillary Clinton when she conceded defeat to Barack Obama in 2008, saying:

“We weren’t able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time” after a bruising primary campaign.

Clinton “has the grace and the guts to keep coming back and put cracks in that highest and hardest glass ceiling until she finally breaks through, lifting all of us with her, that is the story of this country. The story that has brought me to this stage tonight.”

“The story of generations of people who have felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation but who kept on striving and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves and I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House lawn.”

PHILADELPHIA, PA - JULY 25: First lady Michelle Obama delivers remarks on the first day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. An estimated 50,000 people are expected in Philadelphia, including hundreds of protesters and members of the media. The four-day Democratic National Convention kicked off July 25. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

PHILADELPHIA, PA – JULY 25: First lady Michelle Obama delivers remarks on the first day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. An estimated 50,000 people are expected in Philadelphia, including hundreds of protesters and members of the media. The four-day Democratic National Convention kicked off July 25. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Her voice cracking with emotion, she continued:

“And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters, and all our sons and daughters, now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States.”

Veteran civil rights activists John Lewis and Jesse Jackson were present. Some delegates could be seen wiping away tears.

“So don’t let anyone ever tell you this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again because this right now is the greatest country on earth,” she said.

She went on to say:

“And as my daughters prepare to set out into the world, I want a leader who is worthy of that truth, a leader who is worthy of my girls’ promise and all our kids’ promise. A leader who will be guided every day by the love and hope and impossibly big dreams that we all have for our children.”

After a rocky start to the convention, with supporters of Bernie Sanders rebelling over leaked emails, she also urged Democrats to get to work and recapture the spirit of the past two elections when she was such a force for her husband.

“So in this election we cannot sit back and hope that everything works out for the best. We cannot afford to be tired or frustrated or cynical. No, hear me: between now and November, we need to do what we did eight years ago and four years ago.”

I want a leader who is worthy of my girls’ promise and all our kids’ promise.

Michelle Obama said of her and Barack’s advice to her daughters: ‘When someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level.’

She spoke of the young black boy who looked up at the president and asked:

“Is my hair like yours? And make no mistake about it, this November when we go to the polls, that is what we’re deciding. Not Democrat or Republican, not left or right, no – this election and every election is about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives.”

The one person she trusts, she said, is Hillary Clinton.

“What I admire most about Hillary is that she never buckles under pressure. She never takes the easy way out. And Hillary Clinton has never quit on anything in her life. And when I think about the kind of president I want for my girls and all our children, that’s what I want.

“I want someone with the proven strength to persevere. Someone who knows this job and takes it seriously. Someone who understands that the issues a president faces are not black and white and cannot be boiled down to 140 characters.”

“Because when you have the nuclear codes at your fingertips and the military in your command, you can’t make snap decisions. You can’t have a thin skin or tendency to lash out. You need to be steady and measured and well informed.”

Watch the moving speech here:

Photo Credit: Getty Images/ Alex Wong/ Win McNamee/ Aaron P. Bernstein

1. Oma

July 26, 2016 at 9:15 am

Michelle, i love you! I was not there but just reading this snippets brought tears to my eyes. Such intelligence, such eloquence, such beauty. I don’t live in the States (in fact i have never been) but i will miss you as FLOTUS! Not even Bill Clinton would come close (yeah, Bill will be FLOTUS, if Hilary wins, right?
    Anyway, my take home from this speech for my Naija people, “Come 2019 when we go to the polls, that is what we’re deciding. Not PDP or APC, not this party or that party, no – that election and every election is about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives.” (paraphrased)

• Naijatalk

July 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I have a dream, that come 2019, Nigerians will vote with their brains. But then I remember that it took quite sometime before MLK Jr.’s dream became reality

2. shior

July 26, 2016 at 9:21 am

exceptional ! Michelle is one of a kind and Obama is a very lucky man, a perfect example of marrying right

• ATL's finest

July 27, 2016 at 7:11 am

@ Shior U are very right. She’s that beat & that brain behind that White house. She’s been holding him down FOREVER. Once a pro always a pro ( Mrs. Trump take note) & if u like, steal this for later /raining days. this how how u bring down the house. The former lawyer/senator/2nd FLOTUS isn’t playing. She’s got mad GAMES like her strong guns (muscles)????. I still wish she ran for white house right after her hubby. Oh well, she does need a break from the headache & I bet she can’t wait to head back to Chicago & enjoy life. The Obama’s did the work & they made History ( first black FAM at the white house twice) if just can’t get better than THAT.. ?? They will be missed greatly come Nov & I’m so Rooting for Clinton. She just helped Hillary & her campaign 100% better.#HatsOFFtoMichelle#.

3. teee

July 26, 2016 at 9:21 am

The last 2 paragraphs did it for me. Twitter finger president. God forbid.

4. Blog Visitor

July 26, 2016 at 9:23 am

And make no mistake about it, in 2019 when we go to the polls, that is what we’re deciding. Not PDP or APC or POWA or APGA, not left or right, no – this election and every election is about who will have the power to shape EVERY NIGERIAN for the next four or eight years of OUR lives.” This right here is the truth

5. Sweets

July 26, 2016 at 9:30 am

This is what i call a speech..No name calling no use of foul language just clear,poise and intelligence speaking all the way..Michelle Obama AKA Flotus you just got 100.10% Respect…

6. stephanie

July 26, 2016 at 9:34 am

this woman is just an exceptional and good woman,and she does not even seem overly political,i love her persona obama wud be proud

7. Victor Adegoke

July 26, 2016 at 10:02 am

Nice speech by a Remarkable Woman( Michelle Obama FLOTUS). She has paved the way for a former First lady, Hillary Clinton to become the First Female President of United States. Back to Business. You can buy 5 plots of Land at Havilla Gardens in Ibeju- Lekki and Get ONE free. Contact us on 08052467442 for more details.

8. Mum

July 26, 2016 at 10:17 am

All the Nigeria that did not understand the meaning of change n voted Buhari in, watch this you will truelly understand what CHange is.
    Change is electing the first black president (making history) , change is when a woman might possibly be the next president of the USA (another history).
    Change is not electing a party becos the previous “party” did not perform.
    change is not electing a power thirty person who creates havoc when he lost the previous elections befor he finally became a president.
    Change is a lot more, but definitely not Buhari, APC , PDP, or Jonathan.

• nnenne

July 26, 2016 at 10:44 am

+ Mum…..
      Thank You.

• damilola

July 26, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Michelle Obama is a phenomenal woman. The finest first lady to go down history in terms of educated, relatable, down to earth, fashionista and fought for a great cause childhood obesity. I satute you, FLOTUS.
      Her speech didn’t move me to vote for Hilary though. This election is a difficult one. Trump is evil, Hilary is corrupt which way America? I voted for Bernie Sanders.

I mean, Nigerians didn’t have better option. Nigeria certainly couldn’t continue with how Jonathan was running his administration and the country. He needed to be voted out. It’s not about being sentimental, I’m speaking from political standpoint.
      Unfortunately, the other option left was to vote for Buhari.
      Buhari seem like the hope at that time. No need to regret, Buhari is already in power. Just take notes of his administration. The power is in your hands of Nigerians in four years.

• Tosin

July 27, 2016 at 6:17 am

Since you asked, PLEASE vote Hillary. Thank you.

9. Blizjoan

July 26, 2016 at 10:18 am

Michelle, Michelle, Michelle…… m speechless… An exceptional speech. God Bless You….

10. keke driver

July 26, 2016 at 10:23 am

That’s an educated First Lady, not all these ones tying wrapper and wearing hijab with near empty skulls….#NotSayingTheresAnythingWrongInTyingWrapper

11. sugar

July 26, 2016 at 10:27 am

There’s always a moment of sober reflection when you watch this lady and her husband speak. A great family worthy of emulation. Very inspiring ma’am. Thank you

12. Prince

July 26, 2016 at 10:46 am

Amazing woman, thought provoking speech. No one does it like her. you’re one the greatest blessing God gave Barack Obama.

13. bruno

July 26, 2016 at 10:48 am

michelle obama encouraging americans to vote for a crook called hillary Clinton, how nice of her.

it has been proven time after time that the Clintons are shady fraudulent people. bernie sanders is a complete disappointment and a sell put for endorsing hillary Clinton. im glad his supporters have turned on him. he begged them not to proest at the convention, they did. he urged them to vote hillary Clinton, many of them have vowed never to vote hillary Clinton. some are even moving over to donald trump. hillary Clinton is such a liar and a cheat. she cheated bernie to get this nomination. donald trump is leading her with recent polls.

many of u who are hillary supporters are supporting her just because she’s a woman and u believe she is the lesser of two evils. but she is worse than donald trump. she tells lies. she is corrupt and bought and paid for by the big cooperations. what are her policies, u can not mention 1. she changes her views every 5 minites. she is a career politician and americans are tired of career politicians.

• Naijatalk

July 26, 2016 at 1:19 pm

So Donald Trump is the Saint that people who are disillusioned with Hilary should vote for. Please give us the details of Hilary’s fraudulent activities.

• ATL's finest

July 27, 2016 at 7:17 am

@ Bruno if U aren’t living here or have the right to vote, PLS Keep it Moving. Ain’t nobody got time to read /listen to BS from you. I thought u went on exile? Oh well apparently not cuz u surfaced again like an Ant. Go ahead since Clinton isn’t good enough for you, I guess Trump is. Do I trust Clinton 100% No but will I choose her over Trump Hell yes! Any day, anytime, & all day LONG.

• Funms

July 27, 2016 at 2:24 pm

@ATL’s finest. True talk! Herein lies the reason why Nigerians voted APC/Buhari. Whether we liked it or not, we NEEDED TO CHANGE!! The choices were completely imperfect but we still picked the one closer to “perfection”. For this I respect Nigerians.

14. Didi

July 26, 2016 at 11:24 am

Michelle Obama is BAE!!

15. Anon

July 26, 2016 at 11:29 am

Trump has kept quiet about her speech. She totally owned him. He bashed Warren and Sanders but kept mute on FLOTUS. Says a lot about the cheating ogre.

• Mr. Egghead

July 26, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Trump has everything to lose and nothing to gain if he attacks Michelle. The speech was just about her history and family and not a direct attack on the Donald
      It is not that he didn’t know what to say

• Anon

July 26, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Did you watch the convention last night and/or have you listened to/read the speech? She attacked him without calling his name.

“Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country is not great. That somehow we need to make it great again. Because this right now is the greatest country on Earth.
      The kind of president that I want for my girls and all children… someone who understands that the issues a president faces are not black and white and cannot be boiled down to 140 characters.” Plus the part about the nuclear buttons..

• Naijatalk

July 26, 2016 at 1:21 pm

It will be political suicide for Trump to tweet about her speech (not that his base would care anyway, they are certified idiots)
      The media will take his wife and her speech apart again

16. Tru

July 26, 2016 at 11:54 am

oh Michelle, if only YOU were the one running for President…
    Are you taking notes, Mrs Trump??? #FutureDubbing

• ATL's finest

July 27, 2016 at 7:12 am

Lmwo! Future dubbing but more like current/ future hot mess.

17. True Talk

July 26, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I haven’t cried this much in ages! Michelle is a once in a lifetime woman!

18. Ewa

July 26, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Sorry o, I have been seeing some “Tears to my Eyes / Crying Comments”. I wonder why you are crying for the speech. Have you cried for Nigeria today??

• Oma

July 26, 2016 at 7:12 pm

LMAO! I actually had tears in my eyes too but your comment made me laugh! No, i haven’t cried for Nigeria today, reason = “our case don pass cry”

• Peaches77

July 27, 2016 at 2:34 pm

??????

19. Iris

July 26, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Damn. I was thinking ‘O now I’ll vote for Hilary. I didn’t like her before but I do NOW’ before I remembered I can’t even vote because I am neither resident nor citizen of America. Damn, Michelle.

• Engoz

July 26, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Lollll.

20. Oloye

July 26, 2016 at 2:39 pm

You are who you married!