News

Skin bleaching can cause kidney disorders, diabetes, hypertension…over 60% of Nigerian adults bleach – National Hospital Dermatologist

NAN

Admitted bleacher - Kenyan Vera Sidika

Admitted bleacher – Kenyan vixen, Vera Sidika

Dr Olanrewaju Falodun, a Consultant Dermatologist at the National Hospital says about 70 per cent Nigerians who bleach are at risk of ailments like kidney disorder, diabetes and hypertension.

Falodun, who disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Abuja, said that no fewer than 60 to 70 per cent Nigerian adults bleach.

He described bleaching of the skin indulged by Nigerians as a big problem, adding that “some self inflicted skin disorders are associated with toning of the skin.’”

The consultant, who described the skin as the eye of the body, also noted that poor hygiene, malnutrition, HIV infection were among factors responsible for skin disorders.

He advised Nigerians against disregarding the manifestation skin disorders, adding that such manifestation if not properly addressed could lead to death or deformity.

Falodun blamed the prevalence of skin disorders in the country on ignorance of the necessity of seeing a dermatologist in the event of such disorders.

The consultant further noted that a lot of people who were aware of their skin challenges could not afford treatment due to financial problems.

Falodun also urged government as well as other stakeholders to bring healthcare services to the door step of the less privileged to forestall the prevalence of skin disorders.

“We have a lot of skin disorders in Nigeria; quite a number of skin infections like ring worm, skin infestations, scabies, eczema are the most known disorders.
We have problems due to drug use and skin bleaching. Not less than 60 to 70 per cent of Nigerian adults documented in some selected studies bleach.
Skin infestation and infection caused by poor hygiene, malnutrition and also HIV infection can show on the skin.
There are some things you see on the skin of an individual that will tell you that such person is an HIV patient and it will need you to do further test.
The most important thing is that the public should take urgent measures by consulting a dermatologist in the event of any skin reaction or disorder because a lot of people have poor attitude to skin care.”

NAN

1. Ms. M

July 19, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Life without sdk sucks….bt I still luff u Bellanaija.

• Duchess of Isolo

July 19, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Please ooooo, what happened to her blog?! I’m beginning to have withdrawal symptoms. Somebody should help me and ask Stella where her blog went!

• King Bae

July 19, 2016 at 9:12 pm

LMAO me too… i am soooo having withdrawal symptoms. Hahaha 😀 the fact, we all are ranting about SDK on bellanaija… so vain!
      Bellanaija we still love you <3

• Rer

July 19, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Awww so much luv for sdk.

• Judgejudyjudy

July 19, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Hahahahaha!
      So you all are also SDK Bvs?
      I was surprised at how annoyed I felt that it still wasn’t coming up- I honestly didn’t realise SDK had become a part of my life- when did this happen?!

• Vanessa

July 20, 2016 at 12:10 am

Me toooo. Been refreshing her page lol.

• Seriously

July 19, 2016 at 10:19 pm

There’s advanced safe bleaching now. Hydroquoinone used to be the dangerous chemical not to use on your skin. Now, many people don’t use over the counter or beauty store creams anymore. They use pills and injection which seems to be safer and won’t cause extreme side effect.
      I’m still curious to know how this women do it where their new skin is so clear and bright. It’s crazy. You can change your skin, eye color, hair, gender etc this world is something else.

• Haha

July 19, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Thank God I don’t have SDK issues. I don’t mind Bellanaija’s according to SDK reports. ?.

2. Disguised

July 19, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Without being told sef, one should know there will be side effects.

3. ada

July 19, 2016 at 9:13 pm

@ Ms M, i tell you. just wonder what happened to SDK today.
    PS: bleach wisely

4. semesee

July 19, 2016 at 9:27 pm

will they listen!

5. Judgejudyjudy

July 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm

BTW, I know there’s so much info about bleaching causing skin ailments and but I wonder if that only pertains to people who don’t do it properly? I mean, I’ve seen elderly ladies with HORRIBLY damaged skin- courtesy of the tube bleaching creams from back in the day BUT with the type of flawless skin I see these days and the kind of money people spend to get this beautiful, fair skin, I feel like this “after effect” spoken about here wouldn’t bother these ones.

• Simples

July 19, 2016 at 10:24 pm

For every action there is a reaction. Eat too much even if it’s a low fat diet you get fat. Use waist trainer you look good but the fat still remains and it’s deadly if one doesn’t exercise properly. Tone/bleach skin you might have flawless skin but the effects of having less pigment protection can be deadly too. Its left to everyone to make the right choice as something must kill a man. Simples

• Leah

July 20, 2016 at 2:53 am

When you say “flawless”, you mean IG photo shopped and filters? You should see them in real life. Even that madam with her “no dark spot” product, her skin is bleach raw, smoked like a roasted pig and her knuckles and joints are still dark. Don’t believe the hype.

• GBOA

July 20, 2016 at 8:36 am

@leah, Its true o, a friend of mine wen she makes up, come see skin, the day i saw her without make up, i almost fainted, hmmm, she herself is regretting cos she has to have on make up all the time

6. ATL's finest

July 19, 2016 at 10:07 pm

My people no go hear jare smh end of story.

7. BleacherOrNot

July 19, 2016 at 10:34 pm

So i started using a specific kind of Vitamin C topically about 1 year ago (one with small molecules that actually penetrate the layer of the skin – i’m a chemical engineer with a double major in chemistry so i know a thing or two about “chemicals”) Anyway i noticed after consistent use that my skin started to get lighter and i don’t tan anymore when i’m out in the sun.
    Now my question is, am i “bleaching” or am i enriching my skin??

Lol whatever your answer to this question is doesn’t matter tho because i will not stop achieving this flawlessly lighter skin i now have. And if Vitamin C now has side effects, so be it! Na one thing go kill person lmao.

• Babygeh

July 19, 2016 at 11:28 pm

@bleachornot, Biko where do U get ur Vitamin C stuff from?

• Baby gurl

July 19, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Vitamin C serums are literally skin gold. Along with retool and vitamin E, it has rejuvenated my once dull skin. I’m a self proclaimed #cosmetichoarder so I can confidently say the best vitamin c serums for our skin type and climate are Skinceutical’s C E Ferulic (quite expensive) and Serumtologie’s C Serum 22. A less expensive alternative to the Skinceutical (they have exactly the same composition) is Skin Solutions C+E with ferulic acid. I don’t know what Nigerian stores carry them but Sephora,Amazon etc do worldwide delivery. Peace.

• Baby gurl

July 19, 2016 at 11:51 pm

*Retinol not retool oops

8. Anonymous

July 19, 2016 at 10:40 pm

These new smoother bleaching types are… New(so we can’t tell what side effects there are). It’s likely there will be side effects as you can’t cheat nature, but to each his own. No matter how “well” it was done, you can almost always tell, so I wonder what the point is. Maybe when Wizkid and co stop singing songs about Caro and Folake but put yellow girls in the video, and all the actresses and MBGNs and rich men’s wives and mistresses, and marketing and media jobs go to yellow girls, then we shall see a lower percentage of bleachers.

9. mouth mouth

July 19, 2016 at 11:43 pm

NIGERIANS LOVE TO BLEACH SO MUCH , ALSO MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS WOULD PREFARE TO MARRY OYIBO. MOST NIGERIANS ARE ALL MARRIED TO OYIBO . LIKE OYIBO IS THE BEST THING IN LIFE TO HAVE SO THEY BLEACH HEAVY

• Curious

July 20, 2016 at 2:38 am

Please do you have the right statistics of Nigerian /Oyinbo wedding? I am curious

10. Baby gurl

July 20, 2016 at 12:12 am

I don’t know why some of these so called experts won’t do their preaching well. Make I school ya. Skin bleaching and whitening are quite touchy subjects. One can easily lighten, brighten or even their skin as long as safety is put first. What the dermatologist should do is inform the general public of harmful chemicals in some “bleaching” or “whitening” products. Hydroquinone is recognized as the most effective bleaching agent and is even recognized by the USA’s FDA but my dears I would say run away from any product with hydroquinone. Some dermatologists even say you can use it but not more than 2-4%. I won’t hear that because this thing gets into your bloodstream and does nonsense. Also, avoid like a plague, products that contain parabens, mercury and steroids. There are safer and more wholesome skin lightening ingredients like licorice, mulberry extract, kojic acid, vitamins c and e in high concentrations and along with ferulic acid to activate, etc There is nothing wrong with lightening your dark spots and sunburns or treating your hyperpigmentation as long as safety is put first. Remember, what goes on your skin goes into your body. Ciao.

11. Sara

July 20, 2016 at 3:18 am

Really cause kidney disorders? In July of 2015. it was discovered that I got type 2 diabetes, By the end of the July month. I was given a prescription for the Metformin, I stated with the ADA diet and followed it completely for several weeks but was unable to get my blood sugar below 140, Without results to how for my hard work. I really panicked and called my doctor. His response?? Deal with it yourself, I started to feel that something wasn’t right and do my own research, Then I found Rachel’s great blog (google ” HOW I FREED MYSELF FROM THE DIABETES ” ) .. I read it from cover to cover and I started with the diet and by the next morning. my blood sugar was 100, Since then. I get a fasting reading between the mid 70s and 80s, My doctor was very surprised at the results that. the next week. he took me off the Metformin drug, I lost 30 pounds in my first month and lost more than 6 inches off my waist and I’m able to work out twice a day while still having lots of energy. The truth is that we can get off the drugs and help myself by trying natural methods..

12. ebonygal

July 20, 2016 at 8:25 am

Proudly black, anytime anyday!

13. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

July 20, 2016 at 10:59 am

And Nigerian women are too beautiful, biko.

14. m

December 20, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Terrible …What is wrong with west africa?? Nothing…… 70% of people have skin ailments??? Its the same everywhere esle . acne,excema,this things are common place. Nigerians are as pretty as any other group of humans…the problems are either health related not enough fruits,veg or bad pollution or not enough cardio exercise. HIV SHOULD not be an issue if proper education is given i.e protect yourself or stop sleeping around.