Scoop

“I had planned my life right from when I was growing up” – Mercy Johnson-Okojie talks Child Spacing + Juggling Motherhood & her Career

Mercy Johnson Okojie Family Photos BellaNaija (2)In a new interview with Punch, Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson-Okojie talks about the fact that she decided to have her three kids quickly before coming back to refocus on her blooming career.

She also talks about how she has been able to juggle motherhood and her career.

See excerpts below.

On child spacing she says: I feel that when you haven’t gone through life and you don’t have a bearing in life, that’s when you see certain decisions as unreasonable. Most of these people who make these statements have not even realised what they want to do with their lives yet. I had planned my life right from when I was growing up. I arranged my life the way I wanted it to go. And that is why even when I was at the peak of my career and marriage came, I grabbed it because I know age keeps going and time waits for no one. It means that I can have all of my four kids and then still get back to shape and come back to what I love to do. So I am not going to say things like, ‘I don’t want to have kids yet’ or ‘I am not going to get married and I want to keep acting because the young shall always grow’, you are not going to be number one forever. That is why when it is time for you to do something, you do it. Yoruba will always say in their prayers that when the time for a child to talk has come, by the grace of God, she will talk. When it’s time to go to school, he will go to school. That’s what I’m trying to do. I want to define my life in a way my daughter will want to define her own life.

On how she’s juggling her career and motherhood she says: I think what has got me this far is placing my decisions on a scale of preference. I love what I do, I adore my husband, I adore my kids, so every time I have to make a decision, I pick which is more important, and I start from there. I understand the home front is more important so I manage my home and create time to do what I have to do. I think that has helped me get this far.

Read more here.

1. Exactly

August 20, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Do you ojare. That’s exactly my same reason, I planned my life even up to their birth month . I am lucky God has allowed every major milestone ive planned come to pass and I’m grateful. Everyone should mind their business. I got my life together and Im not feeling bad about it. Space your child the way you want.

• Damilola

August 20, 2016 at 8:54 pm

It’s not a matter of planning your life well. I think the backlash was more of a concern for your health. Spacing a child allows your body to heal properly not just physically but internally as well. And also there’s more time to spend with each child before another one comes. My aunt had her six children one year after the other. I mean, she’s doing fine. But I’m sure she survived that with help from family and nannies In Nigeria. Here, it’s a whole lot of work raising one child, so they advise you to space it out.

2. Marlvina

August 20, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I love you my dear. You are level-headed. Focus on your dreams. Don’t let anything or anyone limit your achievements in life.

3. Me

August 20, 2016 at 7:49 pm

If we could plan our lives, wouldn’t we all be at the place we want to be in life? Gods MERCY blessed you and not your plans.

• MissyKissy

August 22, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I support u ? foreal cuz left to me alone I for pass Dangote, Bill Gates and Zuckerberg dem ooo??? But fortunately He is the Author and the Finisher of our Faith…Be thankful if ur own Betta pass oda Sister Mercy☺️

4. mee

August 20, 2016 at 8:55 pm

You planned to take someones husband from a very young age you mean??? Okay na, enjoy and when Karma comes, embrace it. You born four no mean say them no go collect am as you sef take collect am. Just like a football match, keep passing the ball

5. Baby gurl

August 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Wow haters abound in their numbers ?. Mercy congrats jare.May God continue to enlarge ur territory as your heart requests.

• Ijebujesha

August 20, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Nigerians can call God to anything however evil and ridiculous. Someone broke a home and you are here calling God as if she remembered God while doing her evil. Let her continue…….Karma awaits her at the other end of the tunnel.

6. Leah

August 20, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Na wa for this kind god that endorse, supports and plans on a man abandoning his two innocent children, and publicly disowning them. All so he can hook up and start another family with some lady on tv with saggy boobs. I wish some day someone would ask this woman if that jobless husband of hers is paying child support for his older kids.

7. Nana

August 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm

U guys shud stop calling her out. Prince’s marriage to the first lady was as good as dead. They were already separated, the lady had relocated to another country. That goes out to other ladies too, respect your man and play your wifely duties. Or at least don’t cry wolf when he gets peace and respect in the arms of another woman.

• Panda

August 21, 2016 at 11:08 pm

“Respect your man and pay your wifely duties”, the old victim blaming ploy I see. Justifying adultery (not referring to this case since I know nothing) because of that crap, I hope you think women can do the same too? If your husband ain’t showing you respect or his ” husbandly duties “, cheat on him with another man.

8. Awiase

August 21, 2016 at 12:21 am

@Nana,who says his ex wife was disrespectful?Look from personal experience every marriage goes through downs and lows.If you decide to have an affair during this period and choose not to mend the problems in the marriage,that’s also up to you and God who would give you your due.You could be good in bed,respectful,good cook but all these do not guarantee your man would stick to you.I also learnt a lot about this mercy Johnson wedding brouhaha and concluded at the end that between Mercy,Prince and Lovely someone or some of them are lying as certain things do not add up.I don’t know but I believed Prince lied somehow when he said he was never married to the lady and his family did the traditional rites but he didn’t attend and that should tell us something,Unless that guy is an idiot/moron why allow your family to do marriage rites in your behalf when you know you don’t love the person?Is traditional marriage not marriage?So why deny too.Maybe I may be wrong but as I say Jehovah God sees everything and he would give us what we all deserve.Its only time that would tell ,maybe Mj n hubby are right,maybe not its only time.Eventually each would reap what he or she sewed.

• ugo

August 22, 2016 at 1:04 am

some people like taking drugs in another person’s headache … de funniest thing is, she might not see ur rubish comments.. u guys should stop envying her and try to concentrate on ur personal life dats if u have one.. Idle mind…ride on Mercy..lots of love

9. MadamPepper

August 21, 2016 at 12:41 am

Every other week, this one will update us about her wonderfull life with an unemployed man with no education. A grown man that calls himself Prince. My dear chill and wait for your karma to hit. Meanwhile buy him a toothbrush.

• Awiase

August 21, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Ei MadamPepper,”Buy him a toothbrush”?Ei!!!I think your name should be Madam PepperMouth instead.Lol.????

10. punch is not to be trusted

August 21, 2016 at 1:11 am

First of all, I don’t trust punch because of the recent interviews of some actresses and them(Uche Jimbo and Queen Nwokoye)coming out to say they didn’t grant such or their words were twisted. That aside, if this interview is anything to go by, you guys should allow mercy some fresh air especially those calling her out. Someone said she broke a home, the man who knows he already had a home and allows it to be broken nko?? Is he not to be blamed also?? It takes to tango. Whatever goes wrong with man and woman,they are quick blame the woman. Quit with the blaming and shaming of Mercy Johnson.
    She is still better than half of nollywood actors in terms of acting and what she has achieved.

11. Uda

August 21, 2016 at 7:38 am

Nana waa mercy Johnson. U wouldnt see now but, u will see later when the boobs are sagging and the behind is falling then he will show u pepper. Where are u rushing to. Plsssss. Keep planning ur life lol.

12. sammie

August 21, 2016 at 9:54 am

Nigerians are the biggest hypocrites ever, u ppl dat r judging Mercy, how u na life be, some of u r either aristos, or dating married men, for God sake, must u ppl always have something nasty to say?, She is way better than all of u packed into one and u guys dey drink sumatriptan for migrane wey no even dey thr. Nobody knows wat really happened between Mercy’s hubby and his ex-wife, we whr not thr. So jumping into d big conclusion dat Mercy took someone’s hubby is just plain stupid. Abeg we Nigerians r too negative jor, dats d reason we r still d way we r in this country.

13. Baymax

August 21, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Nice interview, Mercy. However i have a problem with her statements about planning life.

It seems to insinuate that those ladies who are in their 30s or 40s and are unmarried didnot plan their lives and that is very unfair.

Take me for example. When i was younger, i planned that i’ll graduate from school at 21, finish NYSC by 22, get a job at 23, be married by 24 and finish having my 2 or 3 kids before 30.

But you see, LIFE happened. The guy i was dating ended the relationship, strike and delay in sending my name to NYSC delayed my plans by 2 years. At 24, i was still searching for a job and no bro in the horizon. I’m 27 now and not even dating anyone, not to talk of planning marriage. If this continues till i enter my 30s, someone will now tell me i didn’t plan my life well?

Or what about my aunty who got married when she planned to get married but for 10 years now has no child? Shey she didn’t plan her life well?

My point is, a lot of people make plans, but life happens and things do not go according to plans. And this is irrespective of whether we lived a wayward life or not because i have lived a morally clean life, so have my aunt even before she got married but i have seen girls who lived wayward lives and things seemingly go according to plans for them. Someone i knew in school who didn’t like me for my morals as i tried advising her about how she was living her life back then when we were in school called me a while back to find out about my life and when i told her i was still single, she made certain remarks and boasted about her now being married with a son.

I’ve learnt this past few years that living your life by God’s standards is NOT a guarantee that things will always go according to YOUR plans. This helped me really examine my heart if i was doing good because i was expecting a reward from God or because i love Him and wanted to do His will.

When things go according to your plans, it’s not because you are better than others or you made plans and others did not. Just accept it as God’s grace and be grateful.

14. Moi

August 22, 2016 at 2:08 pm

@Baymax, your point is so on point joor. See hen! as i get older, i try to be more understanding of people’s situations.

Like you, i planned to get married by 25 and be done with having kids by 30. Lol! see me now, at 32, not married, don’t know when. Just holding on to God.

If it seems your life turned out as planned/hoped, na God o! Na the mercy of God dey keep person.