News

Nigeria’s Dream Team VI to Leave Atlanta for Rio Olympics after Several Delays

The Nigeria U-23 team, Dream Team VI is scheduled to leave Atlanta for Manaus Thursday morning ahead of their first game in the 2016 Olympics in Rio, Brazil.

The footballers are expected to leave Atlanta, where they have been training, by 7AM (12PM Nigerian time) on Thursday.

They were supposed to have left for the Olympics since last Friday, but encountered many delays ranging from flight payment, small aircraft, and improper planning by the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) & Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

According to a tweet by the team’s media officer, Timi Ebikagboro, they will be flying on a Delta Airline flight – an all VIP aircraft – so that they can be “comfortable and refreshed “all through the 7-hour journey.

They will arrive barely hours before their first game against Japan in the tournament.

The team is scheduled to play Japan on Thursday evening by 9PM (2AM Friday Nigerian time).

Dream Team Leaving Dream Team Leaving2 Dream Team Leaving3

1. mua

August 4, 2016 at 11:09 am

Finally! after much ado. This is extremely pathetic i must say.

2. Iris

August 4, 2016 at 11:36 am

Naij…but of course…steadily disgracing somebody since 1869. Ordinary itinerary they cannot plan. Tufiakwa. Our own is like a spiritual disease of the soul.

3. Marian

August 4, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Just read the full report on CNN. Delta and atlanta airport actually sponsored their flight, if not they would have been stranded in atlanta and likely missed the game.
    Things like this can make a sistah wanna deny naija.

4. Engoz

August 4, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Bunch of incompetent fools.

I went to the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) Website. Here are the names of the incompetent and disgraceful leadership:

Engr. Habu Ahmed Gumel,President; Chief Solomon Ogba, 1st Vice President; Mr. Babatunde Fatayi-Williams, 2nd Vice President; Mallam Tijani Umar, 3rd Vice President; Hon. Tunde Popoola
    Secretary-General; Major General John Hamakim, Deputy Secretary-Gen; Hon. Bappa Misau Aliyu, Treasurer; Mr. Tony Ubani, Public Relations Officer

List of the incompetent and deplorable Management Staff;

Ekeoma Ogazi, Finance & Accounts; Oluwakemi Obidahunsi, Youth Programmes / Women in Sports; Abdulmalik Ibrahim, Projects & Maintenance; Samuel Fadele, Games & Technology; Emmanuel Nweri, Policy, Planning & Strategy; Augustine Odijie, Administration & Logistics; Deborah Chidobi, Office Administration; Dano Garba, Executive Assistant

I searched the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) dead website and couldn’t find anything on leadership or management staff. Amaju Pinnick should be ashamed of himself!

Heads need to roll for this consistent abysmal failure from Nigerian government staff. Why is it the most incompetent, wicked and extremely rude that get to do these jobs? President Buhari needs to tackle the LACK OF DISCIPLINE in these sets of Nigerians, not only corruption. Our people are undisciplined. All the beatings we got as kids did absolutely nothing in instilling competence and discipline. The other day there was a ruckus at the consulate in New York. I also have my own experience with these sets of failures. I called the Atlanta consulate, called each members line I culled from their dead website for days, and nobody picked up. I reached out to their facebook page, nobody replied. What does it take to employ someone who would respond to people’s questions? WTH does it take? I’m pretty sure someone was employed but is a TOTAL FAILURE at his/her job. I had to send my passport in with prayers and fasting. My partner informed me that at the London embassy he saw a staff using a chewing stick on the job and threatening not to answer someone because this person didn’t greet him. Very rude staff…no courtesy whatsoever. The NOC and NFF must be questioned and audited on this incompetence. Heads should roll.

5. marlvina

August 4, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I watched it on CNN. How they narrated the Nigerian team stranded for days. I closed my eyes and ears. Total embarassment. So no money for flight, they had to be sponsored?

6. Chi

August 4, 2016 at 6:47 pm

And the wife of the President is carrying a 32million naira bag! Why didn’t she just sell it to pay for their flight?

7. 2xboo

August 4, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Yeah right! In ATL for training indeed!! I listened to NPR yesterday morning and they said the Nigerian team heading to Rio Olympics was currently stranded in Atlanta due to unpaid bills. We just can ‘t seem to be in the news for the right reasons….smh

8. Clementine Iweh

August 4, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Let them go answer roll call