News

Nigeria’s Jonathan Akinyemi out of Canoe Slalom at #RioOlympics2016

NAN

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that his time was just a few seconds better than the 107.49 he recorded in his first run.

However, it was not just enough as the best 15 in the event advanced to the semi-finals.

Italy’s Giovanni De Gennar won the heat with a time of 86.85, recorded in his first run.

NAN reports that Akinyemi was the only African in the competition.

At the 2012 Summer Olympics he competed in the K-1 event, finishing 21st in the heats, and failing to qualify for the semi-finals.

1. Busola I

August 10, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Watched this sport for the first time yest and mehn! It is hard. Well done to all competitors. Ko easy rara

2. Rebecca Abisola Alabi

August 10, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Our guys are really trying at RIO

3. Solomon Akinboyewa Olawale

August 10, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I hope we come home with gold medals

• Janet

August 10, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Why should they bother, when the government refuses to pay common plane ticket fair?! Nigerian government need to start showing the athletes some respect!!!!

4. Baby gurl

August 10, 2016 at 11:30 pm

I just want to cry rn. Faliure sucks big time. After all his hardwork and self funding issues. I remember him from 2012 Olympics too. Such a determined young man. I really hope he does not give up. Trying is also as good as success. I hope he sees this setback as a stepping stone to trying again and not as a reason to stop. God bless u Jonathan! A medal for Nigeria in this year’s Olympics will be like a friggin miracle. After all the yeye from the presidency and budgeting people.

5. lola

August 10, 2016 at 11:38 pm

“Jonathan Akinyemi failed to make a mark in slalom canoeing on Wednesday at the Rio Olympics after placing 20th in a field of 21.

The UK-based 27-year-old Nigerian could only record a time of 104.59 in his second run in the men’s kayak singles event.”

—–> is it just me or is the tone of the reporting way off? we should be celebrating his effort not condemning (IMO the words used in this piece suggests this sorry X_X) him for placing 20th 🙁 the fact we even had someone competing for us in this event (and a foreign based athlete at that) is an achievement period (with all the riverine areas in Niaj you’d think we’d have more for this event). Nigeria needs to do more for her athletes. I’m not liking this trend of athletes emigrating to the middle east to rep those countries. we need to do better sigh

• FasholasLover

August 11, 2016 at 12:07 am

Thot as much too. The tone of the reportage is dismissive. Not cool at all. I watched it. I actually stumbled on it. You need a lot of muscle power and luck to win this particular one.

• Dee one

August 11, 2016 at 4:32 am

I agree with you Lola you just spoke my mind, we should be celebrating him for even attempting cos I never thought I’d see the day Nigeria will be represented in any water sports plus he could easily have chosen to represent another country.

6. Prince