Style

So Pretty, So Vibrant! Celeb Stylist Ezinne Chinkata presents Zinkata’s debut Collection | Lookbook

Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 012
BN Stylistas you know how much we love colour and prints!

Celeb and personal stylist Ezinne Chinkata, who has worked with some of Nigeria’s biggest stars including Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde and Monalisa Chinda, presents us with Zinkata‘s debut 5 piece collection.

The collection made with love from African prints, features timeless figure flattering shapes and fun prints.

The collection will officially be launched at Zinkata’s annual Made in Africa shopping event. It will take place on Sunday 7th August 2016 at 13B Awori Road, Dolphin Estate, Lagos, Ngeria.

Just before you head to the event, check out the lookbook with descriptions by a Zinkata rep.
1. The Constance: It’s a dress inspired by the traditional blouse and double wrapper worn by African women. It is a very striking dress made from Original Dutch Wax (Vlisco).

Specially crafted to flatter all body types; the Constance has quite a strong stamp of the ethnic while maintaining a universal contemporary feel. Available in different complimentary and contrasting prints.

Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 01Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 02Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 013

2. The Print Pinafore and Shirt: One of our favourites and made from contrasting print fabrics, the high-waisted pinafores maintains a lady-like solemn shape whilst the vibrant prints, adds an intriguing fun twist to the entire ensemble.

Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 07Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 05Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 014Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 06

3. The Multi-Functional Sun Dress
This dress is quite a fun one with contrasting patch-work details on the belt. It would look great styled with a white shirt underneath, for those averse to showing their arms.
Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 03Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 04

4. The Classic Skirt-Suits
Round necked and nipped in waists gives these mixed print suits a vintage vibe whilst the Vlisco prints brings a new twist to traditional suiting.
Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 011Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 08

5. The Voluminous skirt and 80’s jacket: A very flattering and elegant piece. Nipped in high-waisted full skirt and a slightly cropped jacket makes for quite an arresting elegant piece.

Perfect party wear!
Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 09Ezinne Chinkata's Zinkata Collection - BN Style - BN - 010

Credits
Photography & Creative Direction: Ambavi Longe @ambavilongephotography
Styling: Ezinne Chinkata
Models: Oiza, Ifeoma, Aduke, Titi and Angela for Beth Models Africa
Make-up: Endowedlookspro

For more info, log on to zinkata.com

1. Tosin

August 5, 2016 at 11:14 am

Amazing fabrics and popping patterns. The designs are nice too just that personally I’m sick of dresses. Love the idea and merchandizing-wise I feel so strongly about the potential, like I was reading (on verysmartbros) about how the so-called dashiki is a thing now in the DC area, I feel like with a focused effort could use an agent to do like a DC or London market, a global Afrocentric market. In addition to reaching Naija of course.

2. toyin

August 5, 2016 at 11:56 am

I love the descriptions…for me .they are what sold the pieces…

3. Thelma

August 5, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I know fashion is subjective and all but I do not find any of these items appealing at all….the colors and forms seem very…..chaotic and unbalanced

4. hezekina pollutina

August 5, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I am a fan of Ezinne, and I like her style & shop. Good that she is getting into design. However, I am sick to death of these “ankara” (?) fabrics, they are over exposed and everyone just thinks they can call it African if they use these fabrics. However, I trust this girl’s eye for design so I am gonna hope that the cuts of these pieces are on point. I like the pinafore design for secondary school nostalgia things. i think someone as creative as she should take this to the next level and start designing her own prints. Thats the next level for designers who use “ankara” – experiment and make unique print pattern designs – one of a kind, to match and compliment your clothing designs. Of course that would be more expensive to produce but I think thats what people would pay for. Otherwise, I don’t see whats unique about this versus going to a tailor.

• Tosin

August 5, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Loving the designs and Re-loving the pinafore. it’s probably time to share this stuff with the world lol. Soon ?

5. Pra

August 5, 2016 at 4:59 pm

The whole usage of Ankara is getting too much! Everywhere nowadays, I see Ankara being worn by Akatas, Kwesi Obrunis, and Yaw/Eno Asians. And people refer to it as “African print” as if Africa has one way of dressing.

6. meeeeee

August 5, 2016 at 5:23 pm

We are getting tired of Ankara ( that is so unique and original to us) while foreigners are cashing in on the vibrancy and diversity of the Ankara. When foreign designers begin to showcase it we will claim its from us. Africans have always despised what is at their backyard till the White man lays his hands on them.
    To the designer, the whole collection is cute and beautiful. The first dress reminds me of one of deola sageo’s design (her version of wrapper and blouse). I equally love yours. All the best

7. cos I say so

August 6, 2016 at 6:54 am

Wetin be this

8. hezekina pollutina

August 6, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Yes I get what you are saying, but is Ankara even African? Isn’t that the Dutch and Indian printed stuff or am I mistaken? I think we have done the most with Ankara though. And made it our own, even though its really not. But also we take this fabric as an actual original thing while all the cuts are Western, no wonder its easy to “emulate.” People like Ezinne are gonna take us to the next level, but we have to let some of this stuff go and show we can stand out on our own. What is the next step with Ankara? Even with Dolce & Gabanna do it – its Boring!