Scoop

“A family name will only get you so far” Temi Otedola of JTO Fashion features as Genevieve Magazine’s Fashion Focus this September

temi otedola jto fashion_GenevieveSeptember201648_bellanaija

Temi Otedola of JTO Fashion is on the Genevieve Magazine September issue blogger watch list as she features in the magazine’s Fashion Focus segment. “The 20 year olds blog is fast becoming an online destination with an average of 16,000 monthly visits.”

In her interview with the magazine, she speaks on her X factor and what makes JTO Fashion unique, her family name and how she deals with the negativity surrounding her blogger spotlight. See bit of the interview below.

On what is most unique about JTO

I like to see JTO Fashion as a reflection of who I am as a person. When it comes to my personal style I’m not afraid to try out different looks and I often go through phases. I feel like my website is unique in that it reflects the way my surroundings and style inspirations influence me.

temi otedola jto fashion_GenevieveSeptember201649_bellanaija

On how she plans to gain a larger group of followers who don’t have access to high end brands.

This question often interests me as the blogs with the biggest followings in the world – Song of Style, The Blonde Salad, Kayture, feature 80% high end or couture pieces. They still gain traction in the millions as people go to these blogs for fashion inspiration and not necessarily to buy what they bloggers are wearing.

I would say JTO Fashion features a more balanced mix of high end, high street and vintage. Day to day I wear high street brands and tag these on my social media, however I think people tend to assume I’m constantly wearing expensive clothes, which definitely isn’t the case.

On how she handles the negativity

In many ways the negativity has been a big factor in helping my blogging career and forming the person that I am today. A family name definitely helps to some extent and can be a good starting point however, it would never be the sole contributor to anyone’s success and I and well aware of this. I’ve has to work twice as hard to prove that many of my achievements have been earned on my own.

My motto is that: a family name will only get you so far. if you have nothing to back it up, then it will be very difficult to have a lasting career or be taken seriously. This is also why I aim to establish myself internationally. Many of the brands that approach me in Europe and America have no knowledge or desire of working with me based purely on my family name.

Source: Genevieve Magazine.

1. Spunky

September 14, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Indeed ” a family name will only get you so far”. Well done on all your achievement…

2. Yes Temi.

September 14, 2016 at 1:52 pm

There are people working harder than you, the only thing is they don’t have the family name to catapult them.
    So yes a family name can only get you so far. So, so far!

3. Zulu Obanor

September 14, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Kudos to her, she is trying to prove herself and it’s a good thing.

Kindly visit fashion and lifestyle blog http://zuluobanor.com for everyday fashspiration.

4. DatEnuguChic

September 14, 2016 at 2:15 pm

”it would never be the sole contributor to anyone’s success and I and well aware of this. I’ve has to work twice as hard to prove that many of my achievements have been earned on my own.”

wrong grammar or printer’s devil?

• yeye dey worry you

September 15, 2016 at 5:53 am

I hope you have something else occupying you other than getting glued to your device and looking out for errors.

5. The truth

September 14, 2016 at 2:40 pm

@ Dat Enugu Chic… Infact….. I thought i was the only one who noticed the wrong grammar.
    I doubt if Temi read this article before it was published.
    Attention to details is key o!! Its beyond taking photos. liitle details..!

6. Mee

September 14, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Stories that touch

7. Sonia Paloma

September 14, 2016 at 3:10 pm

“Many of the brands that approach me in Europe and America have no knowledge or desire of working with me based purely on my family name.”

*coughs*

• Sisi

September 14, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Nice one Temi. This point also caught my attention though, hmmmm not so sure about it. Any PR agent surely does their research even if it’s via your follower account alone which you have gained (majority of) as a result of your family name.

8. Big Tee

September 14, 2016 at 3:21 pm

True talk…. I respect her hustle…..stay blessed nne.

9. Nneka

September 14, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Dear Temi, like it or not, a family name like you have will take you far far far away from lots of hurdles in this country.

10. regina

September 14, 2016 at 3:47 pm

“Will only get you so far…” does she mean 1 step behind the finishing line while others are still crouched on the starting blocks? I hate to be cynical but few people starting out in fashion have the resources to spend on fashion (hence become a known big spender within the industry) the way she has. Her advantage is right massive.

11. MurderSheWrote

September 14, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Oh shattap please!

• truthservedhot

September 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Same thing I thought. I was like “what chu talking about lil’ girl?”
      She needs to stop trying to stage a struggle Olympics, she’s privileged and that’s that.

12. Oprah

September 14, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Dear Temi,

You are better off trying to establish something formidable. The people will tell others that…look at Temi and how talented she is and how successful she is. Look at how much she achieved and no, it wasn’t because of her family name!

Till then, keep hustling.

13. Kosi

September 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm

BN, if you guys know what’s good for you, fix the annoying pop up that’s been blocking my view. Or watch your traffic reduce drastically cos it’s really annoying. You guys are to big for that kind of advertising.

• D.K

September 15, 2016 at 9:26 pm

I thought it was just me. It is soooo annoying and how come it covers half of my screen? Please guys, fix it.

14. uncensored

September 14, 2016 at 8:42 pm

This pop up is so damn annoying.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can’t see

15. Oh please

September 14, 2016 at 9:33 pm

…but that “far” is soooo much further/farther than MOST people. I get that it might irk you that folks automatically conclude u aint working hard cos of your fathers name but pls own it…no shame in it. Its like Kendall beefing the wohle world that she got to where she is on her own and not cos of the Kardashian name…Tah!! While im sure she works hard, is she finer or more talented than other girls? I highly doubt it. The name puts uall way above others automatically!

16. Gem

September 14, 2016 at 9:51 pm

That “far” it could take you is all you need.
    I am not so understanding of rich kids making success so effortlessly attainable, hence, somewhat invalidating the average man’s day-to-day toil.
    In this world, That “family name” is the boat you need to cross the seas and oceans others from less privileged homes cant. Yes, everywhere in the world.

17. Ola

September 15, 2016 at 3:51 am

I think it’s time to STOP visiting this bellanaija because of the advertising pop up. I’m using iPhone 5s and it’s difficult to cancel the “x”…..fix it or people will look into alternative

• Isi Nne Mummy!

September 15, 2016 at 9:33 am

true o. really annoying

18. Bibs

September 15, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Upon all I can’t even see what the ad is about.