Music

“Let me tell you about why black girls/women are so angry” Solange Knowles shares her Racist Encounter at a Concert in New Orleans

solange-knowles-twitter-picture-key-to-new-orleans bellanaija may2016

Stylish singer and art lover Solange Knowles had an uncomfortable racist encounter at a concert with her family in New Orleans.

The 30-year-old took to Twitter to explain how she was personally attacked while attending a rock concert with her 11-year-old son, Julez and her husband Alan Ferguson. The singer/songwriter explains that the incident is a prime example of why black women and girls don’t feel safe in “white spaces.” See her series of tweets below;

Which her son later confirmed was a lime

…Thinking of that famous elevator incident…

The petty concert goes probably weren’t aware that Solange here has a key to the city of New Orleans… Rock on girl!

Source: Twitter | @solangeknowles

1. xplorenollywood.com

September 11, 2016 at 7:33 am

Maybe, just maybe, you were in there way and blocking their view?

• Fashionista

September 11, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Blocking their view ke??!!! At a concert?!!! Then you stand up! I saw Beyonce July 2nd at Wembley Stadium (it was everything and more), and I was standing THROUGHOUT even though I paid for a seat and was in a seated area.
      It wasn’t just me EVERYONE else was standing. So you couldn’t dare to yell at me to seat down when everyone else in front of me is standing – ITS A FREAKING CONCERT!!!!. If your view is obscured, you do what….. You stand up as well. And you know what, there were times my knees hurt and I had to seat down but not once did I even think to say to anyone to seat down. Those women were out of line and then they threw something at her again?! Come on! and they are supposedly older, Awon agbayas!

• nwa nna

September 11, 2016 at 1:47 pm

For crying out, she was at a damn electronic/dance concert! If I was there, I would freaking stand up and dance & have a f’ing great time!!
      If you want to sit down at a dance concert while others dance and have a great time, that’s your prerogative but you shouldn’t interfere with others having a blast!
      And there are other ways to politely ask or make someone aware that they are blocking your view without being rude or stink about it or throwing stuff!
      Trust me, I ain’t going to a rock, dance, hip hop, techno or any freaking dance concert to sit down.. Obviously, you & the folks liking your comment sound like you’ve either never been to a dance concert or you’re part of those that sit down through a great show without moving, again your prerogative!

• Manny

September 11, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Older white people do not know how to enjoy music. General statement but hey it it true. Their damn clapping along grinds on my nerves. I mean Femi Kuti is singing, his dancers are gyrating in tune and these people are bloody sitting down and clapping along out of synchrony with the music. It is annoooying

• Bokun

September 11, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Really! It wasn’t the cinema it was a dance concert. Not opera o! Shey you know the difference. Na the people when come pay to sitdon at a dance music concert wey get problem ni. Abi people dey sitdon for Glastonbury. That like asking people to turn down music at owambe party. Turndown for wat! . You are free to get up and leave. Yeye fowl idiot people dem think say dem still get the right to relegate people to back of the bus. I like the way sista Solange continue to dance and ignore Agbaya. After them go call people the N word meanwhile their trashy behaviour is the true definition of N word.

2. chichi

September 11, 2016 at 7:58 am

She was blocking their view but it was their initial approach and behavior that sparked her reaction. She can sit down and obey them even though their attitude was stink, or defend herself and actions. Being the type of concert it was, its perfectly reasonable to want to stand and dance,most people do. Don’t know why those people were petty. But when black people get upset and confrontational in white spaces we are always the problem and of course we stick out so the aggressor who happen to be white looks way innocent.
    The only time I don’t think about looking like or being perceived as an angry black woman is when I’m in Nigeria.

Anyway glad she didn’t have a elevator moment with her son watching.

3. Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 11, 2016 at 8:08 am

I’m still wondering what this has to do with race, that could have been done to her by anyone. Thought she was going to talk about how one of them made a racist statement.
    Dear black people, if a white person offends you, it doesn’t automatically translate to racism, white people offend white people, black people offend black people. You don’t expect people to treat you nice just because you’re black, maybe they just assholes in general. If a black person had told you to sit down you won’t be on Twitter talking bs. Girl bye

• Soji

September 11, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Racist ain’t pretty and polite, it’s rude and irrational . The police that gun down black folk could also be unprofessional, aggressive and rude not racist. Tell me what makes them racist? They were other people from the description given more whites than blacks. . I’m sure some were also dancing However this black girl and her kid were yelled at to Sit down. It was a concert with plenty of leg room. How come they couldn’t move and perhaps yell at some other white people to sit down. I’ll tell you why, it’s because as whites, attacking blacks is easy Peasy picking. They feel entitled and know they have an unfair advantage over blacks. So let’s not be afraid to call it by its name and then deal with it.

• Anon

September 11, 2016 at 11:26 pm

@wanderlust pray riddle me this, JAME Qwestion??o how do you tell if a white person is just being an asshole or is being a racist with an ASSitude .?Bare in mind these rednecks kinda smart these daze they don’t come out and call you the N word to ya face but at any given opportunity theyll try to undermine you and put you in your PLACE.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 12, 2016 at 9:36 am

So you think it’s ok to call a white person redneck but don’t want others to call you nigger? Riddle me that shit right there cause i don’t know how your brain works. You my friend are the problem. If you can’t tell if they are racists or assholes then treat them like assholes not everything had to bear down to race I meet black assholes all the time here in the US, matter of fact I know more black racists than white but for some reason they feel they’ve earned the right to be racist but not a white person. Rubbish

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 12, 2016 at 11:34 am

How about you riddle me this s***, you can call a white person redneck without being racist but they can’t call you nigger? How does that work exactly? You my friend are part of the problem. If you can’t tell if they’re racists or just plain nasty then I suggest you pick the latter. I know more black racists than white but for some reason they seem to think they have earned the right to be racist just cause they’re black. Fix yourselves, nobody owes you special treatment.

• Atlanta

September 12, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Racist can be assholes and assholes can be racist wonderlust. You got to be in the situation to be able to make the assessment on what you are actually dealing with. Imagine dealing with Ballant racism at the work place reporting it to your superior only to have them under estimate the severity of the situation. You can choose to deal with racism by claiming it does not exist but it happens everyday. It’s best not to undermine a situation you were not directly involved in.

4. Chris

September 11, 2016 at 8:24 am

If they were at a conference or some other formal gathering, then I’d understand she was obstructing their view. But it was a CONCERT! You don’t go to a concert to sit down and look like you are at the movies. It’s okay if you don’t want to dance, but you have no right to stop someone else from dancing – that’s so wrong. And the had to throw something at her? SMH
    chrisodogwu.com/

5. Nene

September 11, 2016 at 9:11 am

Solange has anger issues. She needs to check herself. Mschew. This is not why black women are angry

• Bokun

September 11, 2016 at 6:33 pm

She’s a strong woman. If she get anger issue she for turn right round and knock those idiots the fuck out. Just because of one incident with her brother in law she got to be labelled that’s not cool.

6. Hello World

September 11, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Hello world, black girls/women are not angry. Anger resides with every tribe, race and people. Thank you. In short I need to write a java program for this :

public class MySmartCoolSister {

public static void main(String [] args) {
    System.out.println(“Hello World , black girls/women are not angry. Anger resides with every tribe, race and people. Thank you”);
    }
    }

7. Kmt

September 11, 2016 at 2:28 pm

If that was at a cinema I’ll be yelling at her too!. But it was a CONCERT. Who goes to a concert expecting people to be sat down? . Did they think they’d come to see Lion King The production or Phatom of the Opera. KMT. . Yep they were mad as hell that lil black girl was showing them how it’s done. Probably hated the fact their men were wishing they could get off their assess and shake some booty. Yep totally agree an angry PERSON is responding to a stimulus. We don’t roll outta bed mad as hell. Love how she kept her cool and wasn’t going to be intimidated by those PSYCO ANGRY HATERS. LOVE THE WAY SHE ROCKS HER KEY TO THE CITY. I was in down town New Orleans recently mehnnn that place dodged the American Dream bullet. and let me add black people have always been put in boxes and labelled. Anger issues is one such box that most are put into. The fact is anyone dealing with unfair illogical judgement and prejudice behaviour on a regular bases will become angry. It’s a natural response to negative stimulus even Christ reacted angrily once. WHAT SO BECAUSE WE BLACK WE NOW DONT HAVE THE FREEDOM TO BECOME ANGRY WHEN PROVOKED.? THATS NOW AN EXCLUSIVE RIGHT OF WHITE PEOPLE?. Hence people saying she got anger issues missed the Missile throwing white folk attacking a women with her kid DANCING AT A CONCERT – They don’t have MEGA anger / other issues abi? That right there is prejudice .

8. Wise

September 11, 2016 at 3:19 pm

@wanderlust_trekeffect, please chop knuckle! Everything with African Americans is racism, whereas sometimes people, both black and white, are just bad-mannered assholes!

• Kina

September 11, 2016 at 7:28 pm

You wouldn’t say that if you were African American and lived with the horrible reality of racism day in and day out.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 12, 2016 at 9:42 am

Honey I’m black!(1/4th Caucasian) and I’ve lived in US and Canada most of my life! So I sure as hell can say my fellow black folks like to scream racism at every chance they get as long as it’s a black and white person involved. Why can’t it just be two people having a quarrel? This is why there is so much tension, everyone scared of talking so they are not accused of racism and it’s killing the society faster than the so called racism. We need to use our brains and be objective sometimes.

9. www.williamsjay.blogspot.com

September 11, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Thiz might be quiet a misunderstanding, i dont know y racism is termed on Americans but i think its really a global phenomenon.

10. www.williamsjay.blogspot.com

September 11, 2016 at 4:33 pm

i only know racism has been stagnant btwn Afro – Americans

Visit my blog biko!

williamsjay.blogspot.com

11. seemesee

September 11, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Hello! Speak for yourself!

12. Anon

September 12, 2016 at 1:23 pm

At wanderlust with a drop of white blood. No need to get angry no one invited you on the black lives matter bandwagon. In your reality racism does not exist in the USA/Canada that’s why you with your drop of white blood is categorised as BLACK with no regards for the drop or quant of white blood you got. #Go figure You sound like you got issues. I’ll be angry too if the constitution of a country I love puts me into a box labelled black whilst I scream out to all who can listen even randomly on blogs “I got 1/4 white blood in me”. I’ll also be mad if the said country endorsed someone like Trump to run for presidency. Still it’s revealing that you had the need to mention that rather random fact on an NIGERIAN Blog site may have scored you some brownie points here , not so in the Americas though. I myself do not see the need to mention my race because bad is bad no matter what perspective it’s looked at from. Do you know how hard it is to prove racism? It’s a feeling honey that people are being prejudiced because of the COLOUR of your skin not because they are got no manners. Go and ask the parents of Trayvon Martin and the many others who have been victims of what you call bad mannered assholes.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 12, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Lol you seem upset about my one drop of white blood. I see how you keep going round and round without actually making any reasonable point, I see how you also went around the fact that you called white people redneck, uber racist. So because racism is difficult to prove that means we can throw the word around when there is a conflict between people of two races? I never mentioned that racism didn’t exist in US, you did, so I won’t even address that gibberish. I love every piece of me, black or otherwise, wonder if you can say the same for yourself, let go of the bitterness, it’ll only hold you down.

• Anon

September 12, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Wanderlust familiarise yourself with the US constitute then let’s talk. Redneck is actually a term coined by rich white folk to describe po illiterate white folk working the land till dem neck red . I could equally have said cracker or hillbilly. I assumed youd know this fact since you live in the Americas and oh yeah you got precisely 1/4 white in you. Loooool. Doesnt add up to much intelligence does [email protected]” No your right no be curse.” Oh I liked all your comments to save you the monopoly of liking them all by your sweet self.?. In real life I’ll not have much to say to a person who uses explicit to express themselves. . Im calling it ! Dead tread! zombie alert! I’m done!

13. Sitta Luvz

September 12, 2016 at 7:30 pm

You don’t know what racism is until you experience it first hand…I lived in the South, a.k.a Bible Belt, its a real thing. Even if Solange was seated, minding her business, these old winches would have found something to get angry about. I have made a lot of people mad by being black and happy. There is no excuse for their hate.

p.s Check me out on my blog, and on YouTube. xx

• Tosin

September 12, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Stay black and happy, Babe.

14. artklub

September 13, 2016 at 10:20 am

racism is institutional, within power structures: legal, financial, governmental structures. prejudice is person to person. for clarification.

15. artklub

September 13, 2016 at 10:30 am

if a person throws a lime at you – period, what would you assume? who does that? i mean it could be a black person throwing the lime, then i would not assume its racist. well that person is insulting you and looking for your trouble whether na concert or dinner party. you would try to pinpoint the motive bah? then you think about the context and the intent….i would not twist my mind around – in this context i would take it offensively regardless of what that persons issue is. as a black person in a white space i would assume its racial, sorry the person did not tell me what exactly it was about, other than sit down you are blocking my view. throwing an item at someone is offensive and looking for trouble. we are just going to have to go with this grils story. let the lime thrower come and explain why they would throw a lime and how the offense is not based on racial prejudice. its some kind of hate though….could be jealousy whatever…..but until that person talks we would have to assume….there is not need to give people passes for bad behavior – white or black. i am glad she wrote of her experience. gotta call out the guilty. i am sure the guilty party is feeling lucky right about now. maybe in they future they will catch fear before throwing things at black people – or people in general.

16. artklub

September 13, 2016 at 10:44 am

whitespace. the concept is very important. but simply put, if a stranger/foreigner/guest comes into your space, normal custom is to welcome them and be gracious, as far as the guest is respectful of host and follows local protocol. white people are welcomed into most spaces around the world: black space, asian space, arab space, indian space, latin space etc….they are welcomed and regaled everywhere they go. there are few exceptions. white people are often hostile with foreigners in their space. why is that? yet they have the freedom to go everywhere. for fear of hostility black people avoid a lot of white spaces. here this girl is trying to extend herself and go outside her comfort zone and go into white spaces, where she should be welcomed as a guest. and she gets a lime thrown at her. was she disrespecting the host or the local protocol? if so, how else could she have been informed without being insulted like that? please do not defend bad behavior. if this world is really free and we are all equal and white people want to continue to freely move around they too gotta open up themselves and stop being hypocrites. they want all access yet deny others access – as part of their supremacy complex.