Relationships

“This is a Once-in-a-Lifetime Woman” – Israel Houghton & Adrienne Bailon share their Engagement Story, Fighting the Media Storm & More

Don’t you just love love?

It’s so cute how Adrienne Bailon and Israel Houghton were friends for years before they ever contemplated dating, and even then they had to be very sure before they took the plunge.

adrienne-bailon-800

In a chat with People Magazine, the couple talks about how their journey from friends to soon-to-be married happened.

Adrienne says

“When he got officially divorced and started dating again, I immediately started to set him up with my friends. He didn’t think they’d want to go out with him but I told him, ‘Don’t be silly. You have a great smile, you’re successful, you’re kind, super witty, funny and smart. Of course they’ll go out with you.’ After one of the dates, I asked my friend, ‘What do you think?’ And she was, like, ‘He’s just not my type’. I was so offended. I was like, ‘What do you mean he’s not your type? He’s got dimples! He’s got the best smile, brows of a god, his skin basically glows and he plays mad instruments. It doesn’t get any better than that!’ Her response was, ‘Why don’t you date him?!’ A while later, we were sitting in the corner together at a party and a friend of ours came up and said, ‘You guys have old love.'”

Israel adds “We both heard that, and it had impact on us. That was such a special choice of words, and I felt it was correct. I felt a connection to her that I still can’t define.”

According to Adrienne, “My friend told me, ‘You have to kiss him. You can just be friends, but you’ll know if it’s meant to be more the moment you kiss him,’ and now we’re getting married, so you can see how that kiss went.”

adrienne-bailon-2800

Talking about the media storm they had to weather so early in their relationship, Israel says, “We were in Mexico and she got the call that the paparazzi had photos of us together. It turned into a day and a half of us deleting comments and blocking people on Instagram. There were multiple times I turned to her and said, ‘You can walk away if this isn’t worth it to you.’”

They also shared their engagement story.

Watch below.

Photo Credit: People Magazine

1. YMB

September 13, 2016 at 12:00 pm

only God knows. cant help to think that what would he have classified his wife of almost 2 decades as?

2. beebe

September 13, 2016 at 12:04 pm

all she saw was dimples, successful, play drums etc. and nothing of, he is kind, helps me get closer to God. When Samson’s parents asked him why he wanted to marry Delilah so bad he responded and said because “she pleases my eyes” and nothing of the Godly characters and look where it ended him. Not saying they will end like that but gives me something to think of.
    yes I am blessed by his songs but does he sing for money and Christianity is only used as a covering or is he really converted?
    who am I to judge? I ask forgiveness everyday.

• Marlvina

September 13, 2016 at 12:22 pm

@ beebe, My thoughts exactly. It baffles me how people plunge into marriages without focusing on more than just the physical. Well, good they’re engaged so they truly get to learn a thing or two about each other.

• Lacey

September 13, 2016 at 2:28 pm

@Bebe see Judges 14:1-4 KJV
      [1] And Samson went down to Timnath, and saw a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines. [2] And he came up, and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines: now therefore get her for me to wife. [3] Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well. [4] But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the Lord , that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.
      Please see verse 4, to corroborate what I have to say we are very careful about what we say about other people’s life which is really none of our business as we all have personal walk with God! For me I am not interested in their life, they should stay out of social media!

• Angel

September 13, 2016 at 6:05 pm

That was her description of him to a friend and not how she feels about him now. You guys should take it easy. Lol
      Is she supposed to tell her friend “date him, he will take you closer to God”?
      Above she also used words such as kind, smart, etc
      According to the stories, he cheated (very wrong) and his wife couldn’t bring herself to forgive him (which is understandable). Unfortunately, it led to a breakdown of their marriage. They have parted ways. Let them live. Israel has scores to settle with God alone.
      And maybe they should stop flaunting this love in the media out of consideration for the ex wife’s feelings.

• Amaka

September 13, 2016 at 9:41 pm

His action (infidelity) extremely horrible and heart breaking but love in marriage covers a multitude of sins and I know it is hard but I can count a number of women who have had to forgive. Eg (Hillary) .Sometimes it is hard to continue with someone who won’t forgive you, you feel condemned everyday especially if you are repentant. I feel so sad, 20years is a lot. Years before the divorce, I had watched a video of the worship session in South Africa where he expressed his love to his beautiful wife, she was so wao to behold, long hair, pony tail, very pretty. I leave it all to God.

3. Awiase

September 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Oh Adrienne how I wish you had not aired this on The Show again.?.Well……

4. Naijatalk

September 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Very Cute story, anyone would love this and congratulations once again. Now please guys go live the rest of your lives away from social media. May God help you build a good home, and to Israels ex-wife, may Christ give you genuine love again and the opportunity to live the rest of your life in happiness.

5. Omoté

September 13, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I hope you get it right this time around! 20 years n u should know what to do and what not to do.?

6. ATL's finest

September 13, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I’m happy for them both. Matters of the heart isn’t what everyone will understand. Sometimes, I get confused as of I don’t know what to make of these two. Hmmm I wish them ALL the best. After all, who am I to judge anyone living?? I’m just a sinner in need of a savior, covered in Grace & spared by Mercy ???. Good luck to them.

• curios

September 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm

would u guys be this lenient, if this guy was Nigerian, and he ditched his wife of 20years to run after one cute 27year old fresh Lagos girl???? was hoping to see all the Nigeria men are bad sisters talk some sense into this guy’s head.
      Israel use to be a former mentor…but to say I am disappointed is n understatement… he messed up big time. 20yrs??? if my wife of 20yrs who I have been loyal too ditches me…honestly I cant say what would happen!

• Fashionista

September 13, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Obviously you need some background info. Israel cheated on his wife (of 20 years, as you’ve been drumming it), NOT WITH ADRIENNE oh, with whoever else. He begged her and went on to spend the five years after that making amends and trying to heal the rift he had caused in his marriage.
      Unfortunately his actions weren’t enough to heal the wounds/the wife couldn’t get past it/etc and the marriage ended, five years + after the affair he had. So there was no “ditching for a fresh 27 yr old”.

So please what should he now do next?! I 100% get your sentiment oh, FULLY! But what would you then have him do?! Beg for the rest of his life? He had to count his losses and move on now. My only grouse is, enough with the we are so in love all over social media, tell eachother in your private moment and stop giving interviews out of courtesy to his ex wife and also for privacy.
      Other than that, I’m with ATL finests, even the worst of us deserve second chances and really who are we to judge. Life is a real roller coaster ride abeg.

7. Anon

September 13, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Isn’t she the one who dated Rob. K? Good for her that she has moved on…

8. Tee

September 13, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Foluke Daramola’s voice “heaven sent! It was ordained”. Their likes will concur.

9. slice

September 13, 2016 at 1:54 pm

If you don’t want to forgive a cheating spouse, thsts fine. In fact in many cases you probably should let them go. But that doesn’t mean God doesn’t love them and it sure doesnt mean they are not supposed to find love again.

10. OnPoint

September 13, 2016 at 2:04 pm

God bless you @beebe. The foundation determines the strength of any structure. No one is infallible, myself inclusive

11. Daisy

September 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Ugh! These two again

12. tunmi

September 13, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I’m happy for them. Life is too short to be unhappy. They found love, I hope it works out for them.

13. Bey

September 13, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Love is a confusing thing that only the two people involved understand.
    It is a language sometimes that d outside world won’t understand, but only d two ppl understand their love language.
    I do feel pity for the ex wife. But if they are truthful about starting a relationship after d divorce, then everyone deserves a 2nd chance at love.
    I hope the ex-wife also finds someone to love and be happy.
    Wetin I go talk again ???

14. Lacey

September 13, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Whoever it was that refused to post the word of God,as this Bella Naija is becoming something else!Judges 14:1-4 KJV
    My main reference is verse 4,if you like don’t post it! Please do not question anyone’s walk with God! Walk your own!

15. Xoxo

September 13, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Fashionista where you in the marriage with them that you know that he really spent the next five years trying to mend things and heal the rift?? Aren’t you commenting based on what you heard?? Please don’t talk like you were in the relationship with them.

• Candygurl

September 14, 2016 at 5:41 pm

@xoxo well don’t talk like you were in the relationship either. No one knows for sure if he spent five years trying to make things right or continually offending his wife. Truth is, it doesn’t matter now. Wish the couple good luck and pray his wife finds love again too.
      P.S: I’m ecstatic for Adrienne. She’s a wonderful person to believe that Israel could do better if given a second chance, and I hope that he WILL do better in this marriage.

16. felinda

September 13, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Union blessed by the DEVIL and doom to fail.
    Cursed Couple of Life Adrienne and Israel
    It will never work. NEVER EVER!!!!
    You have failed before you even begun.

17. J. I, Okeke

September 13, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Actually infidelity has been a very big conundrum in marriage, because its very difficult to conquer such a temptation (infidelity), unless we embrace God. Isreal made a mistake that breached his matrimonial home, thats indeed the devils strategy to destroy lovely and happy homes, getting another wife will not solve the problem but being under obligation to be sincere and faithfull ever will do. The only way to be commited with your obligation is embracing God. Because we all know that Adreinne Bailon will not sincerely forgive infidelity from Isreal . Conclusively isreal and bailon needs to pray earnestly before endeavoring in nuptiality.

18. Lacey

September 13, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Judges 14:1-4 KJV

19. Sherlie Holmes

September 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm

His music has been such a blessing to me…I hope he continues to be a worshipper. May the Lord guide them according to His will.

20. Great Lady

September 13, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Unfortunately I can’t look at Israel the same way again.

• Yebo

September 14, 2016 at 7:24 am

Thats a problem!!! You shouldn’t look unto men, always look unto God, Man will fail you as we ain’t perfect but God is always sure. Please cut Israel some slack and look unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.

21. nissme

September 14, 2016 at 8:09 am

Adrienne was probably 11/12 when when he married his ex-wife

Now he calls Adrienne his “once in a lifetime woman”. this just breaks my heart… its none of my business but it totally breaks my heart hearing such.

So what is his wife of 20 years ?