The Medicaid Cancer Foundation in collaboration with Kebbi state Ministry of Health and other partners has rolled out a series of activities to create awareness, build diagnostic capacity and raise funds for indigent cancer patients.
In the last decade, there has been little or no knowledge of cancer. But with modern medicine and research & technology, information has been updated as well as treatment. In Nigeria, it is important that we create awareness to reduce mortality rate.
The 8 year old foundation is an initiative of the Wife of the Kebbi state governor, Dr Zainab Shinkafi Bagudu. This year’s theme is ‘Promoting Early Detection of Cancer to Reduce Mortality Rate’
The Medicaid Cancer Foundation is particularly worried about the increasing practice of bringing very late and graphic cases to public attention, especially through media and wishes to promote skills that will make us detect cases earlier so that outcomes can be improved.
- Walk Against Cancer: Pink Hijab Walk- 8am, 7th October 2016. Kickoff is at Government House Birnin Kebbi
- Free Cervical and Breast Cancer screening for women. Target is 2000 women in 4 LGAs – Birnin Kebbi, Bunza, Arewa and Nagaski.
- Training exercise for 66 (2 per LGA) health workers across the state on Cervical Cancer screening using manual palpation with senso-gloves. To be held in Bunza General Hospital from 4th to 8th October.
- Setting up and donating start up materials to the 4 LGAs.
- Media chats and sensitization forum in Waziri Umar Polytechnic, Bunza, Ngaski and Arewa LGAs.
- Cancer awareness and fundraising evening in support of Cancer victims in the State.
- Free viewing and distribution of a specially commissioned Hausa drama titled ‘Yakin Abu’ starring MediCaid Cancer Foundation Ambassador Rahma Sadau. A drama about a woman’s battle with breast cancer that will target women and youth organizations. Other stars include Rabi’u Rikadawa, Jamila Nagudu and Alhassan Kwalle.
- Other artists expected to support with specially produced material on Cancer prevention include Hausa rapper Morell, Sadiq Zazzabi, Zakara and Voices for Girl Child.
Various committees have reached advanced stage of preparation. Look forward to future correspondence as there will be more activities that will take place in Abuja this month that will continue to engage the public.