News

“People just drove around my car to move on”: Twitter User Narrates How She was Attacked While in Traffic in Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Chevron AttackA Twitter user, Olufunmilola (@funmijames), has narrated how she escaped being robbed in traffic in the Chevron area of Lekki, Lagos.

Although, none of her personal stuff was taken, she sustained injuries.

She lamented the fact that no one, apart from her husband who was two cars behind her, bothered to help or call for help. She said that the incident took occurred around 7AM on Tuesday.

She wrote on Twitter:

I got robbed this morning at 7am just after the Chevron toll gate heading towards the Chevron roundabout.

No I didn’t have anything in my car, my laptop and hand bag were in the trunk. My phone underneath the seat.

A guy walked up to my car, smashed the window on my side and stuck a knife in my face asking for my phone et al.

It was bright, there was traffic, people were in their cars no one bated an eyelid. Everyone looked away.

I fought the guy, I think that surprised him most of all. I fit the typical demographic for this pattern of attack.

But he was not expecting resistance. I was more angry than scared. Bad enough I am in traffic then you try to rob me.

Only one person came down to help me. And that was because it was my husband who was 2 cars behind me.

As soon as he saw he would not have it easy. The guy ran away. I have cuts & bruises but the satisfaction of not giving in.

When did we as people get to the place where we refuse to lend a helping hand to someone in need?

I am not saying come and fight the guy off. But if 2 people had gotten down from their cars, the guy would have given up.

It is this apathy that makes these touts able to rob with impunity in broad daylight. No one bothers to help.

If we don’t help each other out, next time it could be a wife, sister, daughter or friend in the situation I was in today.

I was bloody, bruised yet people just drove around my car to move on. I’m not asking anyone to be a hero but don’t stand by.

We say there’s safety in numbers. I was in traffic with cars all around, 7am. Yet I could have been alone at that spot.

All it would have taken was 2 maybe 3 people raisin an alarm, getting down from their cars. That tout would have run off.

1. Me

October 19, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Hey I weep for my country so sad.

• Fleur

October 19, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Sorry dear but among the rich, there is a reverence for living life free of cuts, hassles and bruises. You were in Lekki. None of your hoighty toighty neighbors would want to get their hands cut trying to fight for you. More importantly, you do not know if the robber was operating alone or in a group. What if someone comes out to help you and they die in the proces because the other members of the robbery team show up? You are also very reckless. Your iphone or whatever phone you have and the change in your purse means more than your life. Do you have children? Why would you fight someone who has nothing to lose for a few items that can be replaced as long as there is life? I can understand fighting if they were trying to kidnap you or your child because the stakes are higher. But for your damned purse?

• madman

October 19, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Well said. Well said.

• ifiii

October 19, 2016 at 4:44 pm

what does class have to do with helping someone in need? You just went HAM on this lady nawa o. No kind word or anything.

• Thatgidigirl

October 19, 2016 at 6:40 pm

What does living in lekki have to do with anything? My car window was smashed in lekki phase 1 roughly 3weeks ago very early in the morning, it was still dark. Someone chased the thief for me in his suit, he attracted so much attention that the few people around joined the chase and the guy was eventually caught, and taken to maroko police station. Two days after, one of the guys who had asked me for my number that day, called to check if I was ok…..these are lekki people!
      Please what do you expect this lady to do? Display her phones and money on her dash board to avoid being attacked? You are guilty of everything she has accused the drivers around for. She is suddenly the villain, doesn’t deserve to be helped because she lives in lekki, it’s her fault she got attacked in the first place. I pray you see people to help you when you’re in trouble.
      Ladies pls let’s be vigilante, learn to protect ourselves (pepper spray etc). When u’re in traffic and see strange characters hanging around your car just roll the car window down. Weigh your attacker and the environment before you fight back also.

• Not cool

October 19, 2016 at 7:00 pm

All I’m getting from this is that some people are upset that other people live in Lekki. If you want to live in Lekki that badly, get a better job and move down here.
      And in response to the robbery, the entire country of people have an ‘everyman for himself’ attitude. Its not just about robberies, its applies to every aspect of life in general. By any means necessary look out for your neighbour or your friend but only as long as you are not inconveniencing yourself. Thats the modus operandi of about 95% of the population.

• huhuhu

October 19, 2016 at 8:31 pm

What is this one saying? Oversabi. Please my sister Funmi we are with you. Scare the chicken and they will think twice next time

• Californiabawlar

October 19, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Hey @gidigirl…sorry you had to deal with all that drama! Glad he got caught….

• Wale

October 19, 2016 at 9:58 pm

If I lived in Naija and I drive myself around(‘cos it seems this happens mostly when there is only one person in the car), I will permanently have in my car a fake bag and one or two very cheap disposable phones with fake contacts(‘cos you don’t want them tracing back to your home).The bag will have disposable junk and the real stuff will be in my trunk. I will also have pepper spray like someone rightfully suggested. Ladies should remove their jewelry and put them on at their destinations. In traffic you are basically a sitting duck. Try to protect yourself and avoid making eye contact with these thugs so they are not drawn to you. This lady was very lucky. Next time if there is room to maneuver please drive over the persons toes or drag them a few distance to teach them a lesson.

• africhic

October 20, 2016 at 8:57 am

It happened to me in Ijora and no one helped as well. they made away with my bag, tablet.

• read and understand

October 20, 2016 at 11:57 am

What are you on about Fluer??? Geez.. Comprehension is not that difficult. She had her stuff in the trunk of her car!!!! what was he going to steal from her???

• Anny

October 20, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I live in lekki phase1 and am not hoighty toighty. Back to the issue, I was on my way to the airport and just on oshodi bridge I had 2guys banging on my windows, I wasn’t alone though I was with a friend and I just kept my hands on the horn just to attract attention. The one by my window pulled his T-shirt up to show me a gun, and the not so hoighty toighty mainland people drove past me. All I can say thank God cos they gave up and left after severally hitting the car windows, dude in the car beside me gave me a thumbs up like seriously you where watching me almost get robbed like it was a movie and all I got was a ? smh.

2. Lailatu

October 19, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I’m sorry about what happened to you. This kind of attitude seems worse in lagos. Thats why I never buy the “oh i would have helped but didnt want to get into trouble with the authorities line”. Either you helped or you didnt.

3. BA

October 19, 2016 at 3:33 pm

So sorry for the harassment and threat on your life. It is extra sad seeing as we have now evolved into a society that doesn’t bat an eyelid or lift a finger to help a neighbour in danger. One would expect that from a cold western city but alas, see otherwise warm folks like us in Lagos blanking out a citizen in danger. One hopes this attitude doesn’t become the norm.

4. Ada

October 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I disagree about cold western city my dear. The truth is, as hard as it is to say and as painful — Nigerians are not very nice. I lived in London and NY, financial capitals of cold western cities, and if I was on the subway trying to cart luggage down a flight of stairs, people always offered to help, same with a lot of things. Nigerians will see you with loads of luggage and even baby sef, and no one will even look your way. There is a bad spirit in our nation, and it festers among both rich and poor – worse with the poor.
    I too was robbed in my car years ago driving on that ikorodu rd from Gbagada to Magodo. I was wearing a gold chain, with my windows cranked down a bit because there was no gas and as usual fuel scarcity. My plumber and cleaner where behind – 2 males. Next thing I know, someone was delivering blows to my face and neck, I was like whats going on, it was later i realized he was after the chain. The 2 males in my car did nothing, except tell me epele later, the other passengers in their car did nothing. The guy ran way after he had wrenched the chain off my neck. If that plane were in Nigeria, it’d have crashed into the capitol well well. We have a culture of everybody answer your papa name, or OYO (on your own).

• Mr. Egghead

October 19, 2016 at 4:41 pm

On your last sentence,
      I guess the reason many people have this OYO attitude is because there is no cushion for anybody. You have to be ‘miserly’ with your life.
      If you try to play hero and get shot or stabbed, you have to pay out-of-pocket for hospital bills.
      See a person being lynched an try to intervene, the mob will descend on you
      The police who should help are not your friends.
      There was a story I read on Medium where a guy drowned in a pool and some people volunteered to take the corpse to a hospital. The matter became a police case and innocent people were detained for several days -tagged as accomplices to murder – just because they wanted to help.

So most times, if there’s anything even looks risky, na OYO

• Nelo

October 20, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I disagree with ur statement that Nigerians r not nice. People help where they can. Would u help someone being robbed? My house got burnt from a gas fire 2 years ago, people helped us quench d fire, got on d roof, did everything, got d fire service sef.

5. Ayishaa

October 19, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Thank God nothing happened to u. I was in a taxi when I was attacked. My handbag was stolen and boos I fought back the guy almost bit off my finger. Guess what this happened around 10am in CMS with a taxi driver looking and begging me not to fight back and after the incident other drivers asked me y I fought back. I think getting help from passerby depends on the area

6. Cynical

October 19, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I experienced this a few weeks back at chevron area in broad daylight at about 7am too. It wasn’t me, it was a lady like 3lanes away. I was so shocked that the car behind and beside just acted as if nothing was going on and this lasted for like 4 mins,they were 2 robbers ,they broke her glass on the driver and passengers side and after taking her bag started yanking off her ring and she was screaming…..I understand not wanting to put yourself in danger but if cars had honked, at least 2 or 3 guys had come out to shout, the robbers would have fled.
    Pls I think this is becoming rampant , so pls people especially ladies that take that route, put your stuff in the boot, be vigilant and maybe avoid the first lane, the one closer to the other side because they crossed over afterwards to a waiting Okada and fled.God help us all.

• Jennifer

October 21, 2016 at 9:15 pm

While the robbery was going on what did YOU do to help

7. Marian

October 19, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Unfortanately there are people who prey on the kind gestures of others. There was an old woman approaching our car begging for money, i had a few change so it was natural for me to roll down and give. Mehn!!! I was so scared the way everyone else in the car yelled at me like i was about to commit murder. Unfortanately they all had one or two stories to tell me about why my kind gesture could have been a trap. They all literally begged me to not do it. I brought the issue up with a different set of friends the next day hoping they will just tell me not to mind my other friends. Nope!! they all followed suit with different lectures on kind gestures that i’m no longer allowed to just freely partake in.

I blame Nigerians who have turned to crime and using the kindness of other Nigerians against them.

• curios

October 19, 2016 at 5:17 pm

My point exactly the fear of the unknown amongst us, prevents up from helping.

8. Prince

October 19, 2016 at 5:10 pm

That’s Lagos for you. Very bad attitude. Someone will be stealing from you and people will just look away that its not their business

9. bruno

October 19, 2016 at 5:20 pm

lady let me ask u, if someone close to u in traffic was getting robbed will u get down and help the person?

cause u are the princess of the world so people should put their lives at risk for u abi? if the person gets stabbed will u pay the hospital bills. is it not sorry u will tell the person.

@ada said it best. nigerians are wicked people period. good gestures are never appreciated in nigeria. nigerians will laugh at u for being good.

u got robbed sorry.

• madman

October 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm

What did you folks eat this morning?! LoooL

10. Missappleberry

October 19, 2016 at 5:30 pm

I felt really sad reading this lady’s story ? and I thought to myself if people can’t come down from their cars to help, how about driving into the car on the side the touts are located, not aggressively though but just enough to pin the attacker to the car without hurting the lady. Then maybe others can help after this happens as the attacker might still be in shock. Just an idea though that may not make sense to most people. At least a slightly bashed car can still be fixed after the attacker has been caught and handed to the police.
    @Ada, not all Nigerians are the way you described them. There are still many out there that are able to lend a helping hand where necessary. I am one of such. I can’t count the number of times I have helped people even without them asking and also when asked. Just that sometimes you can’t blame some people from not helping. Only in Nigeria u hear someone helped a stranger to carry her extra bag in Lagos and found themselves mysteriously in a shrine in Ogun state. I feel like people are just being extra cautious this days, doesn’t still mean that people don’t still go lengths to help sometimes.

11. ...just saying

October 19, 2016 at 5:33 pm

The question for the victim is, if it was a car in front of you, would you have come down to help?

12. Zella

October 19, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I wish I owned a gun…I will shoot to kill these robbers. I have been robbed in traffic before and it was the same thing. People looked the other way. Infact, the reason the robbers ran away was because of approaching police siren. When the police got there, i was screaming ‘Thief! Thief!’ They just told me ‘eiya’ and continued on their way. Honestly, i wasn’t expecting people to fight for me or anything…not sure I would have been able to forgive myself if any harm befell them. But the Police ehn! Their punishment is doing press up at Nembe!

13. john

October 19, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Only in Nigeria u hear someone helped a stranger to carryher extra bag in Lagos and found themselves mysteriously in a shrine in Ogun state……lol, u ma wins the comment for the day. .as Bruno says ,if it was the other way round, would she have xome down from her vehicle and help.. she sounds like an entitled human being living in lekki

• Foodie

October 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

And you sound like a hater!?

14. Manny

October 19, 2016 at 10:53 pm

If only she had pepper spray on her. It’s sad but I’m not sure I would have done anything to help either. And I find that sad.

15. lola

October 20, 2016 at 5:36 am

Just hunking of like 2 to 4 cars would have helped. Hit the double pointers immediately Or she shld act panicked hit the car in front of her..act panicked still and reverse , hitting the one behind her and scream throwing hands out . How are you so sure pple even saw what was happening. ..I would never had come down either, never! But I claim hunk fire there by raising alarm and I cld lock him up by driving closely to urs. . Just the bit I can do and not popping out of my car which equally exposes me

16. lola

October 20, 2016 at 5:38 am

Could

17. TITI

October 21, 2016 at 10:43 am

@Fleur, u have mid life crisis, u need to visit a [email protected], i applaud your effort. I will die first before i let any one steal from me. I wish i saw you, i would have helped even if i die in the process. I wonder why Nigerians value life this much, what is the essence of the life you live in when u do nothing with it, what is the essence of u living for 100 years, when u contributed zero to d country you live in, what is the essence of the stupid life u have when u cannot help anyone.
    Maybe i think differently because i loosed my folks at a very young age. But we need to wake up, living without having an impact for me, u are as good as dead.
    You have kids so what…. trust me they will survive without ur sorry weak ass.
    I live in lekki by the way and a female, and even the agbero in mushin will pause before he steal/harass me.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

October 22, 2016 at 9:41 am

Copy that…

It may be reckless, but I would have acted first and thought later. I wont allow anyone become a static before my very eyes, so help me God.

The Police would have been the last people I would have thought to call for. I would not have even occurred to me ask them for help even if they were parked right in from of me.

18. Coke

October 21, 2016 at 11:29 am

I had the same ordeal just pass Vgc Round about three weeks ago .I had to fight two boys off me, in the process hitting the car in front off me.
    With all the screams and cries no one came close except the Gala sellers shouting OLE! OLE! OLE!!!
    The truth remains that no one wants to die for anybody, but the POLICE SHOULD SORT FOR WAYS TO PROTECT PEOPLE IN TRAFFIC.