Relationships

As she counts down to her “On Becoming” Book Launch, See Toke Makinwa at “The Wedding Party” Premiere + her Interview with Guardian Life

BellaNaija.com

Toke Makinwa will be launching her debut book “On Becoming” tonight!

Last night, she was at the premiere of “The Wedding Party”. She rocked a jumpsuit from Frock it Rock it popularly known as FnR.

toke-makinwa-the-wedding-party-1

toke-makinwa-the-wedding-party-2

In an interview with Guardian Life Magazine, she reveals the inspiration behind the book and more.
Click to read the full interview.

toke-makinwa-becoming-guardian-lifeLook out for photos and scoop from tonight’s event on BellaNaija.

Inspiration behind the book
It is important to tell your story or else the world will tell it for you. There was a lot of mystery around the Toke Makinwa brand and last year I had my life thrown into a storm that shook my very core. My journey to healing and getting my life back in order was not an easy one, In my pain, I found purpose and the message of “On Becoming” was conceived. My faith was questioned but looking back now I see that it has all worked out the way God ordained that it would.

In the fire I had a peace I could not explain and that could only come from God, I knew somehow that there was a message in all of the mess and when the word came to write a book, I was weary, confused, unsure, scared but I thought about the million and one women out there and men who are currently or at some point have dealt with a setback of some sort and it made me feel like i had a mission to spread the word, to share their pain and make see reason to get up and fight the urge to give up! It is very easyto let go, there is a lot of pain in the world today we need more successful stories of survival to encourage everyone who reads ‘On Becoming’.

Marital challenge as a propeller
The thought of writing a book never crossed my mind, I wish I could take credit for it all but a book was the last thing on my mind. I thought maybe when I am old and about to retire, I didn’t think my life was interesting enough. At the start of every year I usually talk to God about the past year and my plans in the New Year and in 2015 it was no different. I heard the word to write a book but I quickly dismissed it. I would meet people who would mention the idea of a book and I knew it was no coincidence. It would make me toy with the idea but I wasn’t sure still what the idea was and then June came and everything changed. While i was trying to find my way out of the murky waters, writing became a way out and I would document how I felt everyday. On Becoming was a message from God and sometimes all has to fall apart so things could come together again so beautifully, so it had to happen.

Rising above Controversies
When you find your purpose, you are pretty determined to pursue it like your life depends on it and on that journey, it is a special journey (walking in purpose), you drown out the noise and stay focused on becoming more. I am so passionate about my platform and how It can inspire a lot of people out there, I don’t dwell on the negativity. It comes with the territory so I don’t lose sleep over it.

The Movement “On Becoming”
Every woman should get ready for some honesty, I shared to encourage you to also get the courage to speak up, I hope the book encourages you to take a chance. The movement of ‘On Becoming’ is only just beginning, 2017 is looking like a very busy year already and I am ready. The 6 months tour will take ‘On Becoming’ to different countries and I cannot wait to meet so many people and hear their stories too.

1. Darius

November 27, 2016 at 11:59 am

This woman is a wonder: succeeding against overwhelming odds. She does her thing, and she doesn’t give a hoot what anyone thinks. She keeps proving her detractors wrong, and she keeps going from grace to grace. She has single-handedly turned her name into a brand. How many people can do that? This is the type of person we need counsel from( Some people might disagree. Toke has her inadequacies, but hey, it cannot be gainsaid that she is a go-getter and a success story), not some weirdo parading himself as the saviour of the down-trodden. Feel free to disagree, but I won’t take a word of insult. Try me and see!

• Busola I

November 27, 2016 at 12:11 pm

True wonder! Not sitting around, loafing, complaining, beefing but choosing to do something different with her life. Now that’s inspirational. Well done Toke!

• Olori

November 27, 2016 at 12:59 pm

“Try me and see”?! On the internet u are asking who to try u? Pple u don’t know from Adam and can’t see, smell, touch or punch. My dear please don’t kill yourself over the web. It’s not this serious I promise you.

• Darius

November 27, 2016 at 1:32 pm

@Olori, You are such a genius! “try me and see” means I’m going to unleash angry vituperations on anyone who insults me. Do I have to spell it out? Gosh!

• Binam

November 27, 2016 at 3:18 pm

#olori, Sabi sabi! I too know! what will it cost you to mind your business? Most you giive a literal interpretation to everything you read. I don’t even know why Derius is explaining it to you.

• Authentic Sunshine

November 27, 2016 at 1:03 pm

At the start, I was indifferent about this girl. Then she started irritating me. But now, this lady commands nothing but admiration from me. Ok. She’s got her quirks, but who hasn’t. With her wits and enviable sense of humour. I mean she laughs at herself. My girl you are a dream girl. Inspiration to women. Turning pain into gain and giving God the glory.. Not waiting on handout from men and drumming up pity party. My only advice girl is to hold on to tight, real friends. Those with sound reasoning. They will keep you sane and grounded when it gets tricky. And my!!!! your command of English shows your degree did not go to waste. Here is a hug and kiss from me. Keep soaring high. Xoxo.

• 'Celebrity'

November 27, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Bless you @Authentic Sunshine. I also like the fact that she doesn’t overuse the term ‘hater’ like many of our ‘celebrities’

• nene

November 27, 2016 at 4:47 pm

try you and see what?

• Loki

November 27, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Pepper…or some other condiment. Maybe you should try him so that we can see….

2. bruno

November 27, 2016 at 12:17 pm

GOD this God that. after writing a spiteful book full of hatred and malice u still have the nerve to call God. typical nigerian. anything they are doing they will alway include God even when what they are doing is wrong and can damage lives.

u are showing off on instagram and u caption the picture “na baba God or my God is good” abeg stop that nonsense. u are fooling anyone.

toke u wrote tgis book to make money of ur divorce or breakup and get back at ur ex and his baby mama so pls there’s no need to be calling God into the matter.

• FasholasLover

November 27, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Ain’t nothing wrong at getting back at a jerk of a husband/ex-husband. If l make money doing it the batter. Good for you Toke. The girl jut refuses to stay down. Now, that is some balls.

• FasholasLover

November 27, 2016 at 12:45 pm

“With”
      Na wah for me sef o.

• Teju TJ

November 27, 2016 at 6:30 pm

I know right. Who has time to waste getting back at someone when it is not adding monetary value. This is the life Toke. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting back at a sorry excuse of a husband and cashing in on it too. I would be saying the same if the husband was getting back at a sorry excuse of a wife.

• Authentic Sunshine

November 27, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Maybe referring to God at every stance in a tad much. I mean God doesn’t text her or anybody else to confirm what he’s done. But there’s no doubt her reference to God allows her to preach. That said, Bruno put on your objective thinking hat and respect this woman. She could have sat down and cried. I mean bawled and allowed her life go to waste. She has good enough reasons to. Go on FIN, read wonders and be shocked. If I got ten quid for very miserable relationship I know of………..No this woman stood up and transformed herself. Toke and beautiful can now be used in the same sentence. Her makeup game alone has a heartbeat of its own. Her bank account is fat and she’s generous. She threw her mum (adoptive mum) a party. Come on….lets applaud this lady and call her out when needed.

• John

November 27, 2016 at 1:57 pm

@fashola lover there is nothing wrong in getting back at ur ex..if it was a man doing it ,would u say that nonsense..I swear, the hypocrisy of women is retarded in a way..hope u remember that statement when a man decides to get back at his ex whether releasing a sextape or pouring acid or just continusly stalking her month after month .there is nothing wrong in it

• FasholasLover

November 27, 2016 at 3:27 pm

@Uncle John, stay in your lane o. This is my church mind responding to you today. When someone strikes you down Pls. Remain down forever you hear. Wail, roll in d mud and die unannounced inugo? The world will not miss you. What has gender got to do with my submission? Whether male or female, if life throws u a lemon, you had better make lemonade/Fanta plus chapman. Mind yoursef l am not always this nice.

• Dayo

November 27, 2016 at 3:31 pm

How can you equate writing a book about your truth to poring acid, stalking and releasing sex tapes. Those are criminal offences. I bet you think it’s fair to rape a woman that walks around in mini skirt. Brother John, fear God. I hope you don’t have a sister so that she doesn’t meet a man like you.

• John

November 27, 2016 at 7:58 pm

@fashola lover ..go and sit down my friend, who give a toss about niceness, ho and hug a transformer, some people just dey threaten and forming super power for this internet with thier small data bundle and cheap phones. .like the similar idiot above who said somebody shouldn’t try her or else..all na keyboard warriors..u women just dey live inside una delusional bubble

• Loki

November 28, 2016 at 12:08 am

John, it hurts me to say this to you, knowing how heart broken it will make you, but Darius is a man. Yeah, I’m sorry…

• Keyyna

November 27, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I agree with you @Bruno.

In addition, ”Rom 12: 19 says; Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord”.

It is best to write a motivational book that will highlight your trials in a specific institution or area of life without feeding your audience with spiteful messages against someone that wanted to damage your life.

One of the sufferings bible acknowledges is SUFFERING FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS SAKE as explained in 1 Peter 3:9 which read ”DO NOT REPAY EVIL FOR EVIL, OR REVILING FOR REVILING, but on the contrary, BLESS, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

1 Peter 3:14-16 which reads ”But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defence to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with GENTLENESS AND RESPECT, having a GOOD CONSCIENCE, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

• seyi

November 27, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Hello make..

• Delta geh

November 27, 2016 at 9:00 pm

But do you even get the point of what Bruno is saying? Don’t call God when you’re trying to get back at people that hurt you. God and sin don’t mix. Granted her husband hurt her deeply but getting back at him is not Godly. Bible said ‘vengeance is mine saith the Lord, I will recompense’. No be me talk am na Bible. Let everyone that calls the name of God depart from iniquity.
      All this one you people are talkin is human being / sinful mentality. It’s the same Bible that most believe that says love your enemy, do good to those who hate you. Here you guys are hailing, Saying she’s getting back at him.

• Tru

November 28, 2016 at 10:08 am

But have you read the book?

3. chi

November 27, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Toke baby,may God heal ur pain.i love u and it is well wit u.Amen.strong woman u r.i cant wait to buy ur book.

4. hadiza

November 27, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I lost all respect for this hypocrite. Dishing out senseless advice that she doesn’t adhere to. As least, she’s smart, even though she has low self esteem.

• Ari.

November 27, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Toke? Toke? ANYbody “”has low self-esteem””, coming from YOU???

When everyone know you and @a fake Nigerian and @natu are the top examples of self-esteem and self-hate issues. YOU? Saying someone else is “”a hypocrite””??? You??? saying someone else is “”senseless””???

Your case is really, truly that BAD. You really, truly, absolutely cannot see yourself. You really, truly have NO idea, do you?

God help you.

He’s the only One qualified.

• A Real Nigerian

November 27, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Look at this confused, deranged hypocrite.
      Infact, you are a BIG FOOL for mentioning me. Congratulations, you are the 7th name on my BLACK LIST. I have noted your name and avatar and I will be coming for you. Watch your back, you dumbf%#k b*%ch.

• Bia

November 27, 2016 at 4:56 pm

But she said @a fake nigerian. Sooo, you are fake? Kwakwakwakwa. You recognize yourself????loooooooooooooool

• Anon

November 27, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I wonder why people say this. She should dish out the advice if anyone should because she has been there, done that and knows better because she knows the consequences. Just admit that you don’t like her and keep it moving, you people making up paltry reasons actually makes the babe look even better

5. Mystique

November 27, 2016 at 2:22 pm

BN, all I want to know is “will Toke pay for all the mileage you’ve given her?” Are you getting a cut from the book deal? If you’re not, you should consider sending her an invoice cos with your publicity, haters gon buy the book just for the “juice” in it and Toke would be smiling to the bank.

• She paid

November 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

There is something called influencing. Toke paid for this I’m sure. Blogs have a price for this

• Anonymous

November 27, 2016 at 4:03 pm

NAH BN should give her everything for free because most of their comments are from Bn commenters insulting toke for breathing. This is actually cyber bullying that used to take place. They should give her free advert jarey wasn’t it them that fuelled the toke hatred campaign with the comments they used to permit on their blog

6. Marlvina

November 27, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Not a fan of Toke. But after hearing her story and difficulties she faced; yes even the mistakes she had made, the wrong choices et al. I see her to be very strong, bold, confident, redeemed and focus. Something not every woman can do. She has of course learned a thing or two about life, rather than wallow in self pity due to the circumstances she found herself in. Most times we face certain challenges not because we deserve them but for us to sit back and have a self evaluation of our life and take on a new path. Her book is definitely a must read, surely looking forward to it. From the highlights in the book based on what I’ve seen on instagram, hmm, it wld be interesting tho.

7. Tee

November 27, 2016 at 2:59 pm

All this makeup makes her look like an alien ? sometimes. Now from all the bits I’ve read from this her book she was given all the signs as in this man was sleeping with other girls haba what kind of love did she love him like that. Some people used to follow Tokes relationship advice vlog I never watched it,now she’s writing to the contrary. We welcome any and everything in Nigeria! i still don’t know what she does, but she’s written a book so yes Author ?

8. GirlBye

November 27, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Toke red bottom shoes, latest fashion and Brazilian hair or writing a book doesn’t mean you won. In retrospect you actually lost. You lost ten years and gave nothing to show for it. Continue to chase fame, ten years from now you will come back with book titled woulda coulda shoulda. Your lifestyle and social media show off is not the most important thing in life.

I don’t care for maje either but even if he walked away today, you Toke still lost. Anita won.

I wish for the day Anita will tell her side of the story. I respect her for keeping quiet in all this while. she’s concentrating on more important things such as raising her son (that’s the winning price) someday she’ll tell her story cos there tokes side, majes side, Anita’s side and the truth. Toke you should never have mentioned Anita’s name in your book. The issue you have is you and maje.

This book was not written to help anyone. It was written for Toke to make money to buy more shoes and clothes to pose (yet still a Renter as she wears her house on her feet) . When Stephanie okereke was cheated on and deceived by ex and also got into car accident and all the attrocities that followed she didn’t write a book. She left everything to God (and till this day most don’t know the whole story what she went thru). At the end of the day years later God wiped her tears and restored her the most gorgeous wedding in all of Naija celebrities history to a nice man. I respect Stephanie for this.

You Toke are a narcissistic person and if maje was my brother i wouldn’t want him to marry you too. Marry your socialite life.

• Baymax

November 28, 2016 at 7:45 am

You have a wicked heart.

So in your mind, Anita won because she has a baby and maybe Maje? A woman who was sleeping with another woman’s husband? Maje, a cheater who played two women for years is a PRIZE to be won? Olorun maje

In your mind, only women who love clothes and social media get cheated on?

Shebi you are a woman. One day, your husband will cheat on you and impregnate another woman in the process, then you will learn not to pass judgment on others.

9. nene

November 27, 2016 at 4:46 pm

the book was from God? God has suffered in the hands of Nigerians.

• Honestina

November 27, 2016 at 6:21 pm

I tell you . God has indeed suffered in the hands of Nigerians plus the rest of the world. I think the devil too has cos every rapist, robber , even drug traffickers dey blame him too.

• Manny

November 28, 2016 at 4:05 am

Honestly GOD has suffered in the hands of Nigerians.

10. tunmi

November 27, 2016 at 5:05 pm

She is actively taking charge of her life not just letting it happen to her. But the way everyone stays calling god tho… Even armed robber dey pray

11. Marian

November 27, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Anyways..we sang this in church today and i’m dedicating it to everyone out there feeling low. God loves you and wants the best for you. The best way to get to know Him is by reading the bible. Everything you need is in there. If you are ever confused about Love, it’s all In there too.

12. Marian

November 27, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Amazing grace
    How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me
    I once was lost, but now I’m found
    Was blind, but now I see

‘Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
    And grace my fears relieved
    How precious did that grace appear
    The hour I first believed

My chains are gone
    I’ve been set free
    My God, my Savior has ransomed me
    And like a flood His mercy reigns
    Unending love, amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me
    His word my hope secures
    He will my shield and portion be
    As long as life endures

[2x]
    My chains are gone
    I’ve been set free
    My God, my Savior has ransomed me
    And like a flood His mercy reigns
    Unending love, amazing grace

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
    The sun forbear to shine
    But God, Who called me here below,
    Will be forever mine.
    Will be forever mine.
    You are forever mine.

13. truthie

November 27, 2016 at 6:50 pm

From her first days in the limelight till now, this has been her look. Fairwhite, with plenty makeup, with a love for publicity. I don’t like makeup and fame but she does, she craves it. Let her live out her dreams. I follow her on Insta & snapchat, and she does love beauty: appearing flawless and perfect, giving advice/counsel. Even her marriage with Maje before the betrayal was sold to us as perfect couple, while she was going through hell.. yes, some people r like that.. they need social validation. Let them. People hv talked but she hasn’t stopped, proof that she dun’t care. Truth is, whoever her future hubby is should simply accept & love her this way, and not hope for her to change anything. Accept the skin color, the makeup, the publicity. Biko accept everything. If not, don’t marry her, period.

Of course the book is from God, lol. Toke apart, it is a Nigerian thing to godify success. Maybe for acceptance, but Sometimes its irritatingly selfish. ‘My God’ did it..hashtag blessed. Even thieving governors, yahoo boys, ritual pastors attribute their success to God. hashtag I’m highly favored. me me me.. Ever wonder why we don’t hv a truthful, sincere, investigative biography about any great Nigerian? They will never give you their keys to success. The strategies, the ideas, the hardwork.. lielie. It’s always, ‘na God, na God do am’. Once they are caught, it becomes ‘the devil’.. cos the devil will not get a lawyer, or show up in court to defend himself.

• Keyyna