Style

BN Beauty presents the African Queens at Miss World 2016

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

With beautiful and talented women from over 100 countries, the Miss World 2016 competition has officially kicked off!

Miss World 2016, will be the 66th edition of the Miss World pageant, It will be held on 18 December 2016 at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland, United States just south of Washington, D.C.

119 contestants from all over the world will compete for the crown. This is the second time that the United States will host the pageant. Mireia Lalaguna of Spain will crown her successor at the end of the event.

As always BN will be bringing you all the updates from the competition but first, here’s a chance to meet ALL the African beauty queens who will be competing for the Miss World crown this year.

Things to note:

• Nigeria’s rep, Debbie Collins, Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria MBGN Universe 2015 was appointed to compete at Miss World 2016 by Silverbird Group, the license holder for Miss World in Nigeria after MBGN 2016 pageant was canceled because of the current economic recession. Debbie represented Ebonyi State at MBGN 2015 and was the 1st runner-up at the pageant.
  • Evelyn Njambi replaced Roshanara Ebrahim, Miss World Kenya 2016 after she was stripped of her title by Terry Muigai, the national director of Miss World Kenya pageant for the breach of code of conduct stipulated in her contract. Njambi represented Kiambu County at the Miss World Kenya 2016 and was crowned the 1st runner-up at the pageant.
  • Lebakile Mokhohlane the original winner of Miss Lesotho 2016 pageant declined to participate at Miss World 2016 pageant due to her study commitments hence Rethabile Tsosane was appointed to replace Mokhohlane. Tsosane was the 4th runner-up at Miss Lesotho 2016 pageant and had also won the Top Model award.
  • Julia Nguimfack, Miss Cameroon 2016 will not compete in this edition due to a visa problem.
  • Miss Gabon 2016 pageant was postponed due to the political turmoil and unrest in the country that followed after the general elections therefore there is no representative for this year.

***

Botswana
2016_botswana_1-x450 2016_botswana_2-x450Name:
Thata Kenosi
Age: 21
Bio: “On behalf of my people, I open my heart to you all as I welcome you to join me on this exiting journey in my life.”

Cote D’Ivoire
2016_cotedlvoire_5-x450 2016_cotedivoire_2-x450Name:
Esther Emmanuelle Memel
Age: 20
Bio: “Akwaba (Welcome) to my beloved country! I will try to show you all the wonders and treasures we have.”

DR Congo
2016_democraticrepublicofcongo_3-x450
Name:
Andrea Moloto
Age: 25
Bio: “Loleko, please come visit my page and through it see my country that I want to show you.”

Egypt
2016_egypt_4-x450 2016_egypt_8-x450Name
: Nadeen El-Sayed
Age: 18
Bio: “It’s my pleasure to extend a cheerful welcome to you all!”

Equatorial Guinea
2016_equatorialguinea_1-x450 2016_equatorialguinea_2-x450Name: Anunciacion Esono Nfono
Age: 21
Bio: “I love life and look to share it with you all.”

Ethiopia
2016_ethiopia_5-x450 2016_ethiopia_2-x450Name:
Soliyana Assefa
Age: 21
Bio: “Greetings from my country! I can’t wait to meet you all. Please follow my page!”

Ghana
2016_ghana_1-x450 2016_ghana_2-x450Name:
Anthoinette Delali Kemavor
Age: 20
Bio: “Akwaaba! My name is Anthoinette Delali Kemavor and the representative of an exotic coastal land. Please follow me on my page and thank you for your support!”

Guinea
2016_guinea_1-x450 2016_guinea_3-x450Name:
Safiatou Balde
Age: 21
Bio: “Hello my fans, I am Safiatou Balde! With your support I feel very confident to achieve my mission to win.”

Guinea-Bissau
2016_guineabissau_1-x450 2016_guineabissau_7-x450Name
: Sandra Marisa Araujo Monteiro
Age: 19
Bio:  “Hi I am Sandra – I’m dignifying women of Guinea-Bissau. Please follow my page!”

Kenya
2016_kenya_4-x450 2016_kenya_1-x450Name: Evelyn Njamba Thungu
Age: 22
Bio: “Hello and welcome to my page. My name is Evelyn Njambi representing my beautiful country!

Lesotho
2016_lesotho_1-x450 2016_lesotho_2-x450Name: Rethabile Anacletta Tsosane
Age: 21
Bio: “Kea le amohela. Please join me on my page”

Mauritius
2016_mauritius_1-x450 2016_mauritius_3-x450Name
: Veronica Allas
Age: 21
Bio: “Hello everyone, welcome to my contestant page! I hope that you will enjoy this wonderful journey with me!”

Madagascar
2016_madagascar_1-x450Name:
Rodriguez Samantha Todivelou
Age: 18
Bio: “Welcome to all and thanks for joining me in this wonderful adventure. I am so proud to represent my country. Please follow me on my page!”

Nigeria
2016_nigeria_1-x450 2016_nigeria_2-x450Name:
Debbie Collins-Ugochukwu
Age: 24
Bio: “How Una dey? Embark with me on a journey through the busy city streets of Africa’s giant to the peace and serenity of our cool beaches where every step is an adventure. Wonders to behold and memories to cherish!”

Rwanda
2016_rwanda_8-x450 2016_rwanda_5-x450Name: Jolly Mutesi
Age: 20
Bio: “Welcome to my page. Empower a woman and you impact the world, Beauty With a Purpose. Please follow me!”

Seychelles
2016_seychelles_33-x450 2016_seychelles_25-x450Name:
Christine Barbier
Age: 24
Bio: “Bonzour and welcome to my page! Come and experience the Beauty With a Purpose journey with me.”

Sierra Leone
2016_sierraleone_15-x450 2016_sierraleone_8-x450Name:
Aminata Adialin Bangura
Age: 22
Bio: “Hi everyone, welcome, I am Aminata. I humbly encourage you to learn more about me!”

South Africa
2016_southafrica_1-x450 2016_southafrica_3-x450Name:
Ntandoyenkosi Kunene
Age: 21
Bio: “As Maya Angelou once said in her poem called our Grandmothers. I come as 1 but I stand as 10000! I come as 1 South African but I stand with the Blessings and support of 53 million South Africans.”

South Sudan
2016_southsudan_5-x450 2016_southsudan_2-x450Name:
Akuany Ayuen Jongkuch
Age: 22
Bio:  “I am Akuany Ayuen, Welcome to my page!”

Tanzania
2016_tanzania_2-x450 2016_tanzania_1-x450Name
: Diana Lukumai
Age: 18
Bio: “I am Diana Edward, kindly follow me on my page and thank you for your support!”

Uganda
2016_uganda_3-x450 2016_uganda_2-x450Name
: Leah Kagasa
Age: 21
Bio: “This is your tropical duchess from the pearl of Africa – Welcome to my page!”

***

Photo Credit: www.missworld.com

1. A Real Nigerian

November 30, 2016 at 12:14 pm

TIL Dominican Republic is an African country.

• X

November 30, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Sigh…It says African Queens!! She’s Latina….she’s of African descent.

• Corolla

November 30, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Ok, but then, they should have kukuma included all contestant who are of African descent na. Ms Antigua, Cayman islands, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti etc. Even Ms France is black. This was just a slip up by whoever posted this. We know BN has been slacking these days.

• A Real Nigerian

November 30, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Huh?
      Not all Latinos are of African descent if that’s what you meant.
      And by your logic, the girls from France, Bahamas and Haiti should be on this list since they are all of African descent.

• b

November 30, 2016 at 1:28 pm

nope we are taking African queens hence African countries, she may be of African descent but is not representing an African country , hence should not be included in this list. also her picture was repeated twice under a different country and should be corrected.

• X

November 30, 2016 at 2:20 pm

@Corolla…they could have included the remaining 40 something African countries as well..you know! 🙂

• X

November 30, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Hey ARN…actually Latinos/Hispanics are of African descent…..they are a mix of the Tainos, Spaniards and Africans. Now, while Hispanics acknowledge their European heritage…Latinos acknowledge their African heritage

• A Real Nigerian

November 30, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Na aah. That’s incorrect. Only people of the Caribbeans are majorly of African descent. Other Latino regions consist of mostly whites, indigenous americans or a mix of both (mestizo if I remember correctly).

• X

November 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm

There you go…Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Haiti are all part of the Caribbean as well
      Furthermore….the whole of Latin America is full of descendants of Africa..don’t forget majority (more than 90%) of slaves were shipped to Latin America. It was through the mixes of the native tainos..the europeans…africans..that led to these groups (Latinos/Hispanics etc). Think about our similar cultures…food, religion..body features (broad nose..thick lips…hips…etc), dance. 🙂
      #wearebuilding

• A Real Nigerian

November 30, 2016 at 5:18 pm

No, it wasn’t through a mix of anything that led to the Latinos. “Latino” simply refers to someone from the Caribbean, Central or South America regardless of your race or ethnicity.
      Yes, you are right, the countries you mentioned are part of the Caribbean. But the Caribbean doesn’t even make up to 50% of the total Latino population. Barely even 25%.
      Because latin america is full of people of african descent doesnt mean they are the majority. They are nowhere near being the majority. The indigenous americans were the first people on that continent and they come through Eurasia, they were there before the white man and before the slave trade, hence the term “indigenous”. The continent already had millions of people living there before the slave trade introduced the black man.
      TL;DR: Latinos are not of African descent.

2. dee

November 30, 2016 at 12:16 pm

all I see is Ms Ghana

3. Sonia Paloma

November 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Ghana: She is very pretty
    Nigeria: I love her confidence and she is very well spoken
    Tanzania: Who did her eyebrows? Lol

4. CHINEDU OZULUMBA

November 30, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Great looking girls

5. Wawuu

November 30, 2016 at 1:00 pm

It’s like these people are not serious. I only like the reps of Botswana, Egypt and Nigeria

6. Martha

November 30, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Aminata – Miss Salone. ‘Di Mammy na Power’

7. Whatttttt?????

November 30, 2016 at 1:56 pm

These are the beauty queens from Africa?????

Many of them don’t look like they should be in this competition e.g.. South Sudan, South Africa, Sierra Loane, Rwanda, Madagascar, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau. Unless they are just not photogenic

The only fine girls here are Cote D’Ivoire, Equitorial Guinea, Ghana and Nigeria

• LemmeRant

November 30, 2016 at 3:33 pm

You mean because they didn’t bleach? Or over apply make up?

8. iyke

November 30, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I hope they have locked up Flavour – he shouldn’t be near any of these beauties lol

• Marlvina

November 30, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Buhahahaha ???

• ATL's finest

November 30, 2016 at 3:46 pm

@ Iyke ???????? ur head must be touching ??????

9. Olu

November 30, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Cote D’Ivoire …..Cote D’Ivoire……Cote D’Ivoire……Cote D’Ivoire…..Cote D’Ivoire

• True that

November 30, 2016 at 9:28 pm

My goodness!!! ? She is such a beauty!

10. EbonyFre

November 30, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Please o. Is Dominican republic in Africa? :s

11. NIRA

November 30, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Choi!! Who are these people and who did their makeup? Only Miss Ghana is pretty o!

12. LemmeRant

November 30, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Another light skinned Miss Nigeria that will not reach anywhere

• ATL's finest

November 30, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I so agree wuth. It baffles me how they think that’s the only way forward in this Mess. Agbani did it for the WORLD so is another dark skin lady that’s if they let the . The only god thing is that he make up was on POINT.

• Heck no

November 30, 2016 at 5:09 pm

A nigerian that knows nothing about nigeria.. who was raised in another country nd came to Nigeria solely to do this modelling thing.. I think countries should be more picky when it comes to their representatives.. I don’t see how u will choose someone who knows nothing about the country.I was embarrassed when I met this girl and she was nt familiar with her own country . at the time she wasnt even contesting.. tHis was about a year or so ago…. PS she is light skinned because she is of mixed heritage .. I believe her mom is biracial..

13. Nameoh

November 30, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Yassss, Nigeria, yassss!!!!
    Ms. South Sudan stands out as well

14. Nnechi Spicy.

November 30, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Is Michelle Obama an Ethiopian?
    Are the Mowry sisters from Seychelles?
    Their ‘baby sisters’ are beautiful!

15. naima

November 30, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Miss Tanzania hair and makeup no gal noooooo

16. FasholasLover

November 30, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Africa is not going anywhere this year. I see some who might be good models but l do not see any beauty queen material.

17. Louda

November 30, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Most of them look like sombodys wife like not for beauty pageant. Una well done sha. For the very first time I see something from Madagaskar. Never seen such a quiet country before.

18. Marlvina

November 30, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Miss Ghana might go far.

19. ciscs

November 30, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Ghana………she is so beautiful, cum see black …South Sudan she is so black

20. ciscs

November 30, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Which kind oyibo cum dey represent Nigeria…… It is well i can see we re nt ready

21. ciscs

November 30, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Ghana is d most beautiful

22. tamunotonye

December 1, 2016 at 12:41 am

Are these girls prepared? This is a beauty contest and they look basic, apart from Egypt n Nigeria.

23. Rose

December 1, 2016 at 1:12 am

Meh ?
    Miss Ghana is the only one who looks pageanty, the rest hmmmmm.
    And before someone jumps down my throat, it’s a BEAUTY competition and every year I just feel that Africa doesn’t bring it like the south American and Asian countries, not because we don’t have beautiful but with most of these African girls their choices are political- u just know someone’s daddy is a special adviser to the president or something.

24. Chukwudi

December 1, 2016 at 2:44 am

Gosh this is disgraceful

25. Abominable snow girl

December 1, 2016 at 10:42 am

Rooting for DR Congo, Ghana and South Sudan. And Zimbabwe withdrew due to “lack of quality contestants”?what does that even mean?

26. Abominable snow girl

December 1, 2016 at 10:50 am

As for Nigeria, is it just me or don’t you think we always come off a bit too worldly wise, rehearsed and plastic compared to other African countries, no offence to the contestant.
    Good luck.

27. Nana Abena

December 1, 2016 at 11:10 am

GO GHANA GO.. Chaleyy we are winning this..

28. Miss World 2016 contestant

December 30, 2016 at 5:16 am

Miss Nigeria is one of the beautiful ladies amongst all of them