Scoop

“If women can agree and accept that they are the weaker sex, then I’m sure more men will stand for them” – Uti Nwachukwu

BellaNaija.com

utiMaureen Chukwujekwu, event planner and wife of Nollywood actor Blossom Chukwujekwu, posted a photo on Instagram a couple of hours ago that showed three men sitting on a train and a woman sitting in between them on the floor. The caption read “Not all males are men”.

Taking to the comment section, media personality Uti Nwachukwu stated that the expectations women have of men can be “tiring and confusing”.

See his post below.

If Women Can Agree And Accept That They Are The Weaker Sex. Then I’m Sure More Men Will Stand For Them. But As Long As Yall Keep Saying You And Men Are The Same…If I Don’t Stand For My Fellow Man…Why Should I Stand For You? Are U Pregnant ? Old Or Feeble? No. Those Are The Only Reasons Why A Man Should Have Mercy On The Woman( Or Man! – Anybody) Sitting On The Floor. Women Should Decide Wat They Want ! This Is Tiring And Confusing

Do you agree with him?

1. Zinny

November 23, 2016 at 2:36 am

Uti I pray you have a baby girl and she marry a man who will not value her, then some how I will remind you this statement , cos you have no idea what it means being a woman. If they decide to rank shoulder with men they have every right. I lost a baby in the hospital yesterday due to many reasons I can not explain, while in the theater I wished my husband had witnessed the whole process, on leaving theater he came in promising heaven and earth on how to take care of me and I have been hearing that for years and I have been taking care of myself alone.. Women give birth, nurture kids , pay almost half of house bills lately through acquiring a job. Men gets home balance infront of tv or busy with news paper while same weaker sex as you call it continue their everlasting task in the kitchen,plus kids homework,…. Well I pray it gets better for me cos I’m already losing hope ….

• Madamsofo

November 23, 2016 at 3:16 am

It will get better for you by the grace of God. Please sit your husband down and discuss your feelings with him. I am sure he will be more helpful.

• kay

November 23, 2016 at 3:28 pm

how are you sure, you know him? just curious.

• Me

November 23, 2016 at 4:01 am

Shit like this makes me scared of getting married. We single people don’t really understand how much less wahala we’ve got going…. I don’t mean to sound selfish but I just can’t imagine a life like this. I pray God touches your husband when you talk to him as the earlier commenter adviced.

• wale

November 23, 2016 at 4:14 am

@zinny UTI go collect your husband, if u like loose gaurd

• Anon

November 23, 2016 at 4:41 am

The woman in the picture was old. Gender has noThing to do with this. Abroad you stand up for old people of all genders if you’re sitting and they have nowhere to sit. Surely an educated Uti couldn’t have intentionally missed the point. Maybe he and BN planned this

• ATL's finest

November 23, 2016 at 7:41 am

[email protected] Anon pls cut BN some slacks. They didn’t plan nothing :). Uti is been terrible and is not my favt. Person right now. C’mon now, even if my tire needs air at the gas station ( which I don’t know how to do) don’t laugh at Me sha, some dude ALWAYS volunteer to do it. Same applies to me getting up for an elderly person to seat or a pregnant woman. Now, ain’t NOT moving an inche for a dude sorry. But certain comments like this just make my nerves bad.

Dear Uti, bless your “delusional” heart. Cuz right about now, U’ve got more issues than Vogue Magazine & U’re too smart ( I’ll assume) to make such comment.

• ATL's finest

November 23, 2016 at 7:46 am

*sit*

• Damilola Adebayo

November 23, 2016 at 9:02 am

Sweetie Im really sorry for loss. May the good Lord comfort you and speak peace into your heart. As long as we have life, we have hope. It cant be dark forever, morning will definitely come, you and your family will experience all the joys that it will bring. Just hang in there sweetie, the morning will soon come : )

• Darius

November 23, 2016 at 9:02 am

@Z, That you husband only watches TV and reads paper all day doesn’t mean that all men are like that. Women like to be selective when it comes to equality. Even in the western world, the bastion of feminism, they understand, without a scintilla of doubt, that men and women are not equal. Do y’ll remember when Solanges viciously attacked Jay-Z in the elevator? Nobody batted an eyelid. The police didn’t even deem it necessary to launch an investigation into what happened and prosecute the lady. It would’ve been an entirely different case if Jay-Z had attacked Solanges like that. He would’ve been villified and demonized by everyone. It would’ve marked the end of his career. Women should stop trying to be men by fire by force. If you want to be a man, you must be ready to be treated like one in every given situation.

• Bimbo

November 23, 2016 at 9:28 am

Women and men are equal individuals !

• Mz_Danielz

November 23, 2016 at 9:05 am

Nne, I pray it gets better for you. Have you tried taking matters into your hands like leaving the house the way it is for a while and when he complains. Lovingly ask for his help. Telling the children in his presence things like ‘daddy has promised to get you ready for school and help with the assignment till you get into the next session’ then leave it to the kids to constantly remind him and no matter how worried you are, do not step in and praise all his efforts. Some times, you need to arm twist these men

• Chief

November 23, 2016 at 9:31 am

Real men don’t do that,it shows weakness.It’s only wimps and manginas give up their seats to women on public transport.Real men take care of themselves first.Complaining about manspreading in public transport is not only rude towards men but also hypocritical.Women complaining about men taking up too much space on public transport?……oh, the irony.Feminist are becoming a complete laughing stock of their making.Chivalry is not dead because men are rude,chivalry is dead because women killed it.Feminists, you made the bed and i say you should lie in it.The shaming language women use to refer to men as misogynists for not devoting to a unwarranted blind worship of feminism is just not going to work anymore.Feminism has caused the chasm between men and women to widen further,women have forgotten how to be a woman and men have lost what it is to be a man.Men will now let women earn their respect,it will no longer just be given for the pure fact that you have uterus.Women will be treated under the same cloud of scrutiny as men have been treated for the last few decades and rightfully,If hardened feminists want the same as men,what’s good for the goose is indeed good for the gander.I think men are re-evaluating what is good for them.It’s a paradigm from ego to self respect.Times have changed. Feminists are dishonest and disgustingly oppressive people in the world.Your cause is bullshit,your ideology is as retarded as Nazism and nobody with a rational mind or a semblance of sensibility supports your cause or want to marry you.You all are gross and insane.I feel sorry for men who are emasculated by some woven who considers themselves feminists and it’s supported by valueless women.

• Preciousgift

November 23, 2016 at 9:55 am

Ok.Ur write up shows ur level of chauvinism.You sound like a Brute too.

• Josephine

November 23, 2016 at 11:01 am

Zinny, I’m so sorry. you brought tears to my eyes. God bless you.

• Huh?

November 23, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I would have felt sympathy for you if you didn’t start by cursing an unborn child who doesn’t even know what it is up. It you have a problem with Uti go for him alone. If he has a daughter she will marry someone that values her IJN. You lost a child and you’re coming here to wish evil for another. Tufia

• adelegirl

November 23, 2016 at 12:55 pm

So sorry for your loss Zinny! Sending you prayers of peace and strength through this period. You will get through it and be stronger and better for it is my prayer for you. Losing a child is one of the most painful difficult things a mother has to bear. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• mujer

November 24, 2016 at 3:30 am

Oh Uti, just shutup before a curse follows you around. Just shush. Go away. Go and pose for a picture or something and leave these intellectual matters to people with the capacity for it.

• Linda

November 24, 2016 at 5:29 am

Zinny am so sorry to hear your loss
      It will get better, take heart

As for this Fag+got – errbody should ignore him. He is on his period i bet.
      BIg booty hole idiot

• Ma

November 24, 2016 at 4:23 pm

so so sorry Zinny on the loss of your baby. Please take heart. May you receive another blessing that will last.

2. ATL's finest

November 23, 2016 at 3:18 am

Utiiiiiiii as I LOVE U rich? See yarnings o. How dare u? How very dare U? What sort of rubbish are u talking about? I use to think u were one of those with brains, but it saddens me to know U think like an A***. Ok then your sisters, female cousins & others can accept that BS. We r in 2016 & nobody got time for that.

• Sandy

November 23, 2016 at 4:54 am

I know right! I admire him for his intellect/wisdom based on d articles he had written. This his recent statement I want to believe someone took his phone and typed that crap. Uti I don’t knw u personally but one thing I know is that u have a good heart. So behave yourself abeg.

3. Corolla

November 23, 2016 at 3:54 am

This man and his substandard brain are beneath me, so I am not even going to drop a lengthy comment. I just pray that God in his infinite mercy keeps me away from self entitled morons like Uti. #thatisall

4. EE

November 23, 2016 at 3:59 am

The first comments here are a clear example of most people only reading headlines. To give his words context:

1. An Instagram user posted a picture of a woman seating on the floor because men refused to stand for her, saying “Not all males are men”. The implication being if you don’t treat women specially, you’re not “a man”.

2. Uti being a feminist replies that “special treatment” is only accorded to weaker people, “Are U Pregnant ? Old Or Feeble?”.

3. The logic here is you can’t both be strong and weak, if you want the treatment accorded the weak, then accept you are. Men need to rest their legs too and we’re all equal, right??

I agree with his logical progression, we should treat everybody equally.

“If I Don’t Stand For My Fellow Man…Why Should I Stand For You?”

• BlueEyed

November 23, 2016 at 4:38 am

My real problem was with the initial post and whatever Maureen decided to say about it, I don’t understand how the same “equal men” are now “lesser men” because they decided not to stand up for another “equal human being” …..look at this foolish logic.

• Anon

November 23, 2016 at 4:39 am

The woman in the picture was old. Gender has nothing to do with this

• EE

November 23, 2016 at 6:10 am

Old keh??? We’re seeing different pictures, fat sure, but she’s in her 40’s tops. Prime of her life, man to her left is “old”.

• What an ass

November 23, 2016 at 6:11 am

She doesn’t look old though, just tired.

• What an ass

November 23, 2016 at 6:07 am

I totally agree with you, we can’t just choose to pick and merge the parts that favour us as feminists, its called eating your cake and having it.

If we are going to propagate a movement that rests on equal rights, then we have to say goodbye to chivalry. Your cannot call a man names just because he didn’t stand up for you, that is not equality. They do not have to stand up for anything, women in the past have gone to war and led revolution so I’m sure they can stand on their own two feet.
      And if they want men to stand then they should stand up as well for men.
      Feminism is a package you have to take the whole parcel as it comes.

• Anon

November 23, 2016 at 7:00 am

Don’t see the point of this epistle. Did feminists tell you they want to sit on the chair? Point to ONE feminist you saw that said women want to sit on the chair. People’s problem is the age of the woman. Women are fighting for serious things, who cares about who opens the door for them or stands up for them to sit down. If you give her the seat and she still has to go home after a long day of work to cook, clean, help with children’s homework while mr husband that is also coming back from work sits to watch tv, has that helped her? You people will imagine feminist reactions and bash them when they’ve not even said anything

• TeeS

November 23, 2016 at 9:33 am

I think at he end of the day. Women want to be treated like women. Equals. Yes but that doesn’t mean nice gestures are not appreciated .Whether we are equals or not , it’ll be nice to have someone open the door , give up the seat, not punch them because we are claiming equals. I know it seems like we are eating the cake and having it. Its just about being nice and polite . When someone is walking behind you, you hold the sore for them. You see an elderly person , you get your ass up and let them sit. When your wife /gf is cooking , clean the plates after. And if the husband cooked, wife/gf wash plates. If I as a woman saw an elderly man or someone who looked like they needed to sit, I’d give it up in a second. It’s just common sense mehn. Let’s not complicate this feminism thing. And ehn in terms of strength (physical) men and women were not created equal. Let’s not kid ourselves. Hence I won’t take a blow/slap from a man. Thats him obviously taking the piss and preying on the supposedly “weaker sex”
      Whether I’m the weaker sex or not, I’m making just as much money as your are, if not more, I’m contributing to society , I’m alive, I got a brain. So let’s chill on the weaker sex talk Biko. Before I call someone’s mama out

• Tru

November 23, 2016 at 10:21 am

Nne, you make absolute sense. High Five. ??

• LemmeRant

November 23, 2016 at 11:31 am

@TeeS
      It’ll also be nice to have someone cook for me. Someone nurse the crying baby, someone do the dishes.

But i guess we can’t all have everything we want.

• FasholasLover

November 23, 2016 at 12:53 pm

@EE Thank you for the sensible explanation. BN comments these days are so confusing. I believe a lot of people are confused wrt what feminism is all about. I agree with Uti very confusing indeed. Pick a struggle women. Everything nor be fight and name calling. The words misogynist/ narcissist when it comes to men matter are so over used and misused that both have lost their relevance/meaning on BN. By the way, ya’all wishing to build a bungalow under my comment seeing l excite you so much Pls. donate the funds towards a good cause.

• Anon

November 23, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I wish I can like a comment more than once. U really said it as it is

5. wale

November 23, 2016 at 4:11 am

What he said is true…white people sold lies to black women. If women said they are equal to men, when a man beats a woman, it should be considered a fight between equals, the law should not support one side. If women say men are superior, then the law needs to protect the subordinate.

But uti, why not leave the work of a woman satisfying a man sexually to women…why u go hail ur guys and dey pull pant for them to cum and give them blowjob…that is the natural job of a woman. If you man start behaving, acting and dressing as a woman, she will claim you are equal,because you are already doing things which are suppose to be for her.‎

• Sandy

November 23, 2016 at 4:59 am

What did u just type?

• Anonymous

November 23, 2016 at 5:51 am

It’s not a fight when it’s two people of unequal power, it becomes battery. Last time I checked, when the woman is the perpetrator, she also faces jail time. Which is why it’s illegal to beat your child, someone who works for you etc. When you condition a woman who is already physically weaker to be submissive to the point that people on this same BN advise women not to confront their adulterous husbands, how will she also fight back? Stop trying to seem logical. Post your “I’m a misogynist” and go. Leave the faux logical misogyny to mr egghead and lemmerant

• EE

November 23, 2016 at 6:17 am

“Illegal to beat your child” shows you and Mr Wale aren’t on the same page. I think he’s referring to the Nigerian situation.

• LemmeRant

November 23, 2016 at 11:40 am

Lol. How many times do people (an I mean men here) of EQUAL power fight. Big men fight with small men, tall guys fight with shorter ones, muscular guys fight with skinnies. The smaller guy just has to toughen up. And God forbid if there are girls watching.

Anyways hitting a girl has always been off the table for me. But you see at the core of it I know its because I’m giving preferential treatment to her cause she’s a woman. But you won’t complain about that one.

• EE

November 23, 2016 at 6:16 am

Dude, your views on sex dey one kain. Its mutually satisfactory, if you’re doing it right.

Ehm I dunno, maybe check back with the women you’ve done it with, might explain some things.

6. Shasha

November 23, 2016 at 4:22 am

You see Uti, i am also confused (and i am female), i have read so many articles on feminism and related issues and its quite mind boggling…I don’t know about all these feminism propaganda but I don’t mind being the weaker sex, I actually want someone who can take care of me and i can count on to always be there and also do the same for him, i hope we can move away from these self imposed rules and just love without restrictions and be kind to one another- male or female…

• mike

November 23, 2016 at 8:03 am

Best comment.. You are right

• bijouxthisbijouthat

November 23, 2016 at 10:57 am

I totally agree with you.. i love to be pampered and taken care of… i am a weaker sex physically and i am aware of my limitations.. BUT not in mind intellect

7. keechi

November 23, 2016 at 4:42 am

Blossom probably like “and this guy was my best man?”

8. Nahum

November 23, 2016 at 4:46 am

I am not the “weaker” sex, I don’t need men to stand for me, however that is an elderly woman in the picture. Any functioning adult should stand for pregnant women, the sick, disabled and elderly. Reminds me of a time when I was pregnant and one young man was balancing in his seat while I was standing. The funny thing is he knew he was wrong because he felt uncomfortable sitting down but he felt like making a point that day. I just laughed and continued standing until my business was done.

• jean

November 23, 2016 at 5:16 am

The guy that didn’t stand up for you didn’t get you pregnant. Do you know if he was very tired? That’s how the pregnant women in my work place expect you to do their jobs in an already short staffed team, and they will keep coming to work so that they earn salary.
      I’m all for helping out, but thinking someone is bad for not helping out is another thing all together, if i didn’t get you pregnant I shouldn’t be suffering fir your pregnancy biko…

• Ginger

November 23, 2016 at 5:45 am

I think that with gender and feminism, people intentionally miss the point. It’s almost like they know better but are so hell bent on maintaining the status quo (e.g. Men) or being approved of (e.g. Some women), that they try to find “logical” reasons to demean feminism. How people like Uti act oblivious to the obvious fact that women face discrimination and repressive treatment in all spheres of life. Educated Nigerian women act like it’s a given for them to be educated, in a country where people are still not educating their female children, cutting off their clitorides, and marrying them off early, and where women are seen purely in terms of marriageability or how much they are willing to tolerate in a marriage.

You’re not “supposed” to sit while an weaker person, such as the aged, a child, a pregnant or nursing mother is standing. The buses I used at uni made it compulsory that you stood up for such people, and Nigeria cares much more about reverence for elders, so how both Uti and Maureen arrived at gender is beyond me. Maureen may not even be a feminist anyway, as many Nigerian women aren’t. But yeah, let’s all bash feminism even when it has nothing to do with anything

• Brock

November 23, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Classic women mentality you think you’re entitled to his seat because you’re pregnant please did he impregnate you? Do you know what kind of day that he had that he decided not to give up his seat for you? Do you know if he was healthy at that point in time? Please women need to change this ” i am a woman so i am entitled to everything mentality.”

9. californiabawlar

November 23, 2016 at 6:22 am

All this mansplaining in the comment section for seating?? mschewww! Siddon o jere Uti…In fact uproot the chair when you’re done so that no woman can ever sit there again.
    I hold doors and get up for people that look weaker. And I refuse to sit if and when some random dude offers me their sit. What sense does it make to take another able-bodied persons sit?
    Anywhoozies, this is just another argue for argument’s sakes thing. There’s never a short supply of B-rated individuals trying to get sh*t popping off on BN….another day…another simpass dude seeking attention online. We will oblige you….slow news week.

• Explain Ya self

November 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Which one is mansplaining again in the comment section?
      “mansplain
      manˈspleɪn/
      (of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.”

Biko explain ya self…..

10. EE

November 23, 2016 at 6:23 am

To clarify, all you people making the “older person” excuse, where will it end??

Should Toddlers stand for teenagers? Teenagers for adults? A 40 year old for a 50 year old??

We all know what is meant when we talk about “elderly” and the woman in the picture is not it!

But, the logical twists are really interesting to observe.

Solution: Found an all female bus service and figure out the standing etiquette or pay more taxes for a special service.

• Anon

November 23, 2016 at 7:02 am

The woman is clearly old. Stop misyarning abeg. I know you and lemmerant and egghead like imagining situations that make you smart, but find another situation next time. This is an elderly woman. You even called her fat with your uncouth silly self.

• Express Ya self

November 23, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Anon please make your point logically and stop throwing accusations up and down.

• EE

November 23, 2016 at 9:40 am

Fat is a description, same as old and I dare you to call a woman that young looking “old” to her face.

Personally spared the “Not all males are men” commentary, I would have been on the side stating that standing up costs a fit man nothing. However the ideology that drove said commentary gets my hackles up, as does shoddy attempts, like yours trying to defend it.

But go on, explain your logic for determining her age. I’m sure its fascinating.

11. AceOfSpades

November 23, 2016 at 6:59 am

Religion has to do with this picture tho. Nahum I like you o but pls don’t paint someone bad because he didn’t stand for you while you are pregnant. What if he has some bad backbone condition or leg condition or whatever? You can survive while standing but he will have serious medical issues from standing so which is better?

When people mess up, I just try to make excuse for their action and pity them and go my way.

12. bruno

November 23, 2016 at 7:17 am

I like uti’s logic. dear women, u can’t eat ur cake and have it.

the sense of entitlement most nigerian women display is so mind blowing. just reading the comments alone u can tell.

and pls what is “not all males are men”
    who still promotes this kind of ideology that a male has to do certain things or act a certain way to be considered a man.
    its just like saying since a woman can’t cook she’s not a real woman.

13. john

November 23, 2016 at 7:43 am

women and thier hypocrisy has no rival even a so called online radical feminist is angry that a man didnt stand up for her bcos she is pregenant..is he the one that impregnated you,I am even suprised you alwayed a man to impregnate going by how much you hate men and spew nonsense on them with ur fake acounts like hadiza..u didn’t even care to know what the man is suffering from but even if he is as fit as a horse.it doesn’t give u the right to be this entitled. .hypocrisy everywhere and you wonder why the hate movement and trojan horse called feminism is regarded as a joke

• Loki

November 23, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Sorry John but you lack the required objectivity to call hypocrisy seeing as you generally have a low opinion of women. Before any story drops about male-female relationships, you’re ever ready with your club to bludgeon women to death; REGARDLESS of what the matter is. Is it that you just see women and you’re filled with disgust? It’s hard to comprehend.

14. tolu

November 23, 2016 at 8:08 am

Utis reply is for intelligent people not for everybody. If women accept to be weak people more than men, that is when men will be treating them better. But alas they flexing muscles to be equal. Yes why should i stand up for u when u are not an elderly person

15. Ewa Ali

November 23, 2016 at 8:14 am

Uti is gradually becoming the new “Daddy Freeze”??

• LemmeRant

November 23, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Then anybody that disagrees with you is “Daady Freeze”

16. Mo'Diva

November 23, 2016 at 8:41 am

Uti just attested to the fact that he’s a mere boy and not a MAN! Boys everywhere Smh

• Yinka

November 23, 2016 at 8:54 pm

So he is not a man because he didn’t fufil some preconceived. Notions in your head.and when someone says u are not a real woman because u can’t cook or clean,you will start making noise upandan.

17. Sade

November 23, 2016 at 9:18 am

Why does this man want to annoy me this morning

18. bruno

November 23, 2016 at 9:28 am

@john

actress and feminist lena dunham was angry that a black man didn’t pay her any attention when they sat together at the same table at an event.

I was so surprised bellanaija didn’t post this story.

I have been saying it feminists are not well people. Their logic is so twisted and they are biased as hell.

BN pls fix ur reply button.

• sharon

November 23, 2016 at 10:25 am

I don’t blame you Nigerians that think feminism is about physical strength. Your sisters grew up privileged to have had an education, they are privileged to get a job that pays them as well as their male counterparts. How dare you? Do you know there are places where women are not even allowed to drive? You disgusting bunch of entitled nigerian men!! That woman sitting didn’t ask for your sympathy. Hard working woman just trying to get home. Happens all the time in lagos when the brt is full, people don’t go scrambling to their feet to let women sit. I don’t know why this is even getting attention?

• Darius

November 23, 2016 at 11:50 am

@Sharon, the countries woman are not allowed to drive are certain muslim countries in the Middle East( Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, etc.). Go to these countries and preach to them. As far as I know, woman are allowed to drive pretty much anything in Nigeria. While I oppose cultural practices or polices that prevent women from living up to their true potentials, hell will have to freeze first before I accept that men and women are equal.

• Josephine

November 23, 2016 at 11:11 am

@Bruno, Lena Dunham is a feminist but she is also a woman with a complex. That comment she made showed her for who she really is. Because she is famous she expected as if it is her right, that the Odell would talk to her. When he didn’t, her complex ridden brain couldn’t see that it could be because he’s shy or simply not in the mood to talk. It had to because she is fat. Her issues are deep but they are to do with her self-image and maybe an assumption that every black man or athlete must want to toast anybody since they are felt to be promiscuous. Its a different issue from feminism.

• LemmeRant

November 23, 2016 at 12:55 pm

What if I said all feminist have a complex (hehehehe….)

• Mansplain Ya self

November 23, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I hear ya and I agree with ya but I am a tired and confused at to how, It is convenient for her to be a feminist when she does right but she has a complex when she deviates.

19. A Real Nigerian

November 23, 2016 at 10:00 am

“I know you and lemmerant and egghead like imagining situations that make you smart.”
    LOOOL! LemmeRant and “smart” in the same sentence?? ???

20. Miwa

November 23, 2016 at 10:26 am

I can only say do not judge a book by its cover. What of if the boy is the woman son and she asked him to sit on the chair while she seat on the floor? we should not always generalize and call people names cos of what we see or read online. As for Uti epistle I totally stand with him and am a woman, women were created by God as weaker sex out of a man and at that should respect men and be under a man, the fact that the society makes it ok for us women to labor and strive like men doesn’t mean we should expect we are men. Allow a man to be a man and then be a wonderful woman that God has created you to be. All this equality stuff is really tiring and to say we have bigger issues to deal with.

• sharon

November 23, 2016 at 11:00 am

It’s a “bigger” issue we have to deal with so I don’t know what you’re on about

21. SwaggyPrunningupthebudget

November 23, 2016 at 10:29 am

Please let us put things in perspective. This picture was most likely taken in some Middle Eastern/Islamic country, looking at faces of the men and as you can see she is wearing a Purdah. In most these countries, women have lesser rights. Women can not speakto or argue with a man (husband or not) directly or with authority, they are relegated to child bearing and domestic chores. So i won’t be surprised if this happened, its like a cultural thing. She’s probably being judged for leaving her home and venturing into the town. I read Malala Yousafzai’s book I Am Malala.

That being said, I am a man, and i do not believe women are the weaker sex, i also do not believe women have more responsibilities (child bearing and domestic chores) than men. I see us all as the same, hence, no cogent reason to “help” a woman. I will never just stand up for any woman to seat the same way i wont do for a fellow man.

For example, i carpool with my female colleague to and from work and people keep asking me why i allow her drive, since “i am the man”. If it was a matter of oh, let me help you because i’m sure the traffic is hard on you, fine, But do not tell me i should drive because “i am the man”, THAT IS RUBBISH. Also, Nigerian women feel super entitled and privileged, and i YES i am generalizing because majority of them are. In statistics you could infer a conclusion about a population from a sample of that population, They automatically believe it is their right to be “helped”.

This feminism thing really stresses me.

• Loki

November 23, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Actually it isn’t really feminism that is stressing you since it doesn’t “really” exist in Nigeria. Nigeria has very few true feminists; a lot of what we see here in truth are confused women who proclaim feminism but still somehow want the benefits of patriarchy. Personally I’m not sure Nigeria is ready for feminism. And by that, I’m referring to both men AND women.
      When the student is ready, the master will appear.

22. B

November 23, 2016 at 11:03 am

All these feminism arguments….look feminism has its advantages as it concerns limiting women from getting to their fullest potential just because they are women – now that is wrong.
    1. Feminism should be supported to the point that women can and are allowed to aspire to the greatest positions that exist.
    2. Women should get equal pay and consideration in professional circles. E.g. Don’t deny a woman promotion, simply because you feel a man will do better in the role, even though they are equally qualified.
    3. Don’t restrict girls to certain professions or aspirations as they grow up just because they are girls.
    This is the extent to which feminism should be supported.

However, when it comes to things like being polite and courteous to one another, no reason to drag feminism into it. Absolutely nothing wrong with men opening doors, assisting to lift heavy stuff for women etc., that just shows good breeding biko. If you don’t want to be a gentleman, that’s your choice.

Now, to the subject of feminism in marriage. There’s no such thing. Y’all should quit acting like marriage was your idea. The Creator of marriage has laid down very clear principles & guidelines on how to behave in marriage. There’s no such thing as equality in marriage. Now all you feminists go ahead & knock yourselves out, when you’re done, come back & listen.
    God created marriage and here’s what He has to say:
    Col 3:118-19
    Wives submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
    Husbands love your wives and be not bitter against them.
    Ephesians 5:23-24
    For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body.
    Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
    Vs 33
    Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself: and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Did y’all see the words ‘in every thing’ and ‘reverence’?

Do you guys now see why there are so many troubled marriages today? It is because a lot of us have departed from the core principles that guide marriage.
    If you’re a Christian woman out there, just pocket your feminism and do as The Lord says.

BUT, this applies in just marriage. The Bible didn’t say man is subject to woman. It says husband to wife. Please take note.
    For man-woman interaction, the Bible is also very clear.
    1 Peter 2:17
    Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.

Simple rules for living that the Creator Himself set that if adhered to, will help us all live rich and full lives.

Selah! BNers
    Selah! Feminists

P.S. I am female by the way.

• Darius

November 23, 2016 at 11:35 am

I’ve never seen or heard a woman speak with so much wisdom. You mama raised you well!

• Ro

November 23, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Nice one sis, I have been in a dilemma concerning this recently. I expect my husband to assist me and if he doesn’t I get angry not minding that he assists in his own way. I have mild OCD and always want things done the way I expect it to be done. He feels I don’t respect him a lot, I feel we are equal human beings. He is Yoruba I am not so different cultural expectations.

One day we were playing and he tried slapping me and his brushed his hand against my cheek, I quickly retaliated by slapping him and hitting his eyes, he was shocked that I slapped him and felt disrespected but let it go..

I feel the things read on feminism confuses me and as a strong willed person has further enabled me to be rebellious. I am a born again christian and I’m a bit confused as to the biblical way of marriage as a I feel what we have was created by the men of God who constantly want to stay in charge and not the express will of God. I have a good husband who is also a friend so I know I can get away with a lot of things but I do not want to push it. I still want him to feel like a king in his home, but he monkey on my shoulder whispers to me that if I overdo it he will take advantage of it. I just pray that the Holy Spirit helps me find a balance in this marriage journey.

Sorry for the long, unclear epistle, needed to vent, was just writing as it came to mind.

• O

November 23, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I get where you’re coming from dear. Reading and hearing all these feminist ideas can really affect one as a Christian wife.

Throw in the many sad stories of women being mistreated in their marriages and one just begins to have the I-can’t-let-that-happen-to-me mentality.

However, as B said, we didn’t create the marriage institution. God did. So if we want to make a success of our marriages, we had better do things his way.

From what you typed, I feel you believe you have a good man. Honey, enjoy that and keep feminism some place else away from your marriage. Because, for a Christian, there’s just one family head….and we know who that is.

God’s way has worked for many marriages over the years. Not those who seem happy to onlookers, but those who are truly happily married.

I pray you both make a success of your marriage.

Hugs.

• Vivadrew

November 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Madam but you skipped verses 25 – 31. It baffles me when Ephesians 5 is being quoted by virtually everyone…verses 25 – 31 are always left out. That Gospel is what is expected of all married men and women, not MARRIED MEN ONLY. The non completion of these verses is always what give rise to issues in the home where the man would want to exercise authority quoting 22 – 24 and leaving out 21, 25 – 31. The woman submits, the man loves (it takes 2 to tango) no dragging of power.

My 2cents

• Xoxo

November 24, 2016 at 3:54 pm

May God truly bless you. Its really annoying. If you’re going to quote the scriptures, quote the whole verses talking about said issue, don’t just quote a part. Most pastors are very guilty of this thing too. They will only quote the past of wives submitting to their husband’s leaving the verses saying wives and husband’s should submit to one other. And husbands should love and respect their wives.

23. Beard gang

November 23, 2016 at 11:03 am

the gender grievance on bellanaija sha…lol…
    if men and women are equal, why should one treat the other specially?
    the woman in the photo is not elderly plus how are we sure she paid for a seat?

24. Josephine

November 23, 2016 at 11:06 am

I believe the sexes are equal but we have different roles. I don’t want to be a man and a man shouldn’t want to be like me. Some girls at school used to blast boys who hold the door open for them that they are feminists so they can open the door themselves. Such people would blast a man who stands up and offers them a seat. As you have prayerful Muslims and you have ISIS is how you have feminists and militant feminazi. Extremes in any form show the person has a problem.

25. timmyblast

November 23, 2016 at 11:56 am

i go with Uti here. You want to be treated as equal, n u still want a guy to carry u on his back all around “what do u girls really want?”. my dear YOU CANT EAT YOUR CAKE AND HAVE IT. Even the western word that we tend to copy have not even accepted equality otherwise a woman should be the president of USA.

26. FinchleysFinest

November 23, 2016 at 12:11 pm

In as much as I want to agree with all ya comments.. I think Uti’s got some valid point.
    1. The woman in this picture is not old.(Nothing shows she’s pregnant or she’s unable to stand ) thats the standard thing on the train… we only give space for the disabled, pregnant or old people not unable to stand… Note some oldies prefer to stand

2. It has nothing to do with marriage ..the lady that lost her child…I am really sorry for what happened…Talk with your husband..

In general…if you want men to always stand up for you on the train..then accept we’re not all equal…i guess thats what Uncle Uti was trying to say.

• LemmeRant

November 23, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I really don’t understand how this woman is categorized as old.

27. Engoz

November 23, 2016 at 12:11 pm

No feminist will make this gaffe that Maureen Chukwujekwu made. The gaffe made here is typical of what Chimamanda calls the feminist lite. These are the kind of gaffes expected from the eat your cake and have it majority Nigerian female. No feminist believes a man should stand up for her or him on the premise of gender. It goes against the ideology we stand for and doesn’t make sense. Nevertheless in civilized societies, we give up our seats for the elderly, pregnant women, the disabled, children. Ethically, these population of people are considered vulnerable populations and society endeavors to protect them.

• LemmeRant

November 23, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Awon ti Chinamanda ti de.

• Nala

November 23, 2016 at 2:20 pm

@ Engoz: You have a brain. You have a working brain and you are emotionally intelligent. Your ability to analyze, decipher and call out the bullshit is next to none. You have left many comments here so I know.

I now underatand why us feminists don’t really like feminist lite – they ruin it for us. They don’t really understand what it’s about or they just feign ignorance. So they sway to the left or right. One minute they are feminists, the next they are not – depending on the crowd they’re rolling with.

It is all exhausting really!

28. Loki

November 23, 2016 at 12:16 pm

All I want to know at the end of the day is why the hackles of Nigerian men rise when they hear the word “equality”? It’s so confusing. How does someone else being elevated, diminish you in any way? Why does it make you feel more of a man if women accept being inferior? Can you exchange that acceptance for money at the bank?
    Can everybody just face their local government and stop having high BP about whether women feel equal to men? 4 billion women on the planet…and you’re busy creating an issue about whether they ALL are inferior to you, when you will never meet more than 0.1% of them in your lifetime….

• Hulk

November 23, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Nigerian men don’t like hearing equality because most Nigerian women choose equality when it is convenient and ditch it once its not. For a very long time, some women in Nigeria have played the gender card and damsel in distress role to get extra favors from society.

• EE

November 23, 2016 at 3:15 pm

We like being on top?????

Plus equality does not exist, there is always a head, we see equality as impugning our privilege, no human likes that. Look to the West, they clearly are in the process of being thoroughly demasculinised.

• tunmi

November 24, 2016 at 1:57 am

“The irony is Africans are generally more equal and tolerant of female authority compared to say the Asians or even the pre-feminism West.”
      They really are though which is what confuses me the most!!!

29. That-I-May-Fly

November 23, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Hmm…where do I even start? There are women who will be offended by the man getting up for them to have a sit because they don’t want to play to the weaker sex BS. Weak suggests inability or inferior, two things of which women are not. Men and women are EQUAL, but have differing abilities due to their biological and physiological make up. It doesn’t make one sex better than the other but, it makes a better society when each gender uses their differing abilities for the growth of the society as whole. Sadly, in an un-equitable world, this is hard to achieve.

While the larger society continue to debate how we can balance gender differences in the public realm, I think both men and women ought to grow thicker skin to such discourse. I personally, do not think that the men who refused to give up their sit for that women are not ‘real men’. They might as well be respecting her by not assuming she’s in need of the sit in the absence of an obvious need for it, e.g. age, tiredness, pregnancy, disability or carrying a child. Until we get to a place of balance, both men and women will have to learn to pick their gender battles on a day to day basis. Some things are just not worth getting offended about and this is one of them.

30. Ghostmode

November 23, 2016 at 1:00 pm

When i look at the picture i don’t see a men vs women issue, if I was there i would have given the lady my seat not because she is a woman but we can see she is elderly, if it was an elderly man i would have also given my seat. Not all issues have to be feminist vs non-feminist issue! Some are just morals and common sense!!

• EE

November 23, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I agree, wasn’t a man who turned into to a feminism issue though, sadly when the battle lines are drawn, you either fight or accept your cowardice.

31. Bugg

November 23, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Many people need to be educated about what feminism is and most importantly why feminism came about. Unfortunately it has been so demonized, its crazy – All women asked for is for social, political and economic equality with their male counterpart. A demand worth fighting for because at some point in history women were not allowed to vote because they were deemed less sensible than men, women unfortunately still get less pay for the same work men do regardless of qualifications. Women were not allowed to participate without their husband’s consent as though there were properties in different aspect that is so easily accessible to men.

As a human being, ask your conscience…is that too much to ask to be treated and giving equal opportunity as their male counterpart. If making one race superior to the other makes no sense to you why should you demonize or objectify gender equality….aren’t we all equal in the eyes of God?

As for the picture….I would not stand up for the woman because she is a woman, i would stand up for her out of respect, because is seems elderly…I would do the same for a man too….so this has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with humility and humanity. Using feminism as a counter attack to women because we tell you to recognize that we’ve been historically (and currently undermined as inferior to men) and change, is just stupid and makes absolutely no point except that you are part of the problem.

32. Pamela

November 23, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I am not the ‘weaker sex’ and that is a very wrong statement. Women and men are not built alike. Men are stronger physically but women influence men a lot and we are able to do things that men cannot do. There is no weaker sex. We are just different and meant to embrace our differences and our roles in life. The whole purpose of feminism, I think, came up because females were being treated as inferior to males ( still ongoing in Nigeria and many other places ). Chivalry is not dead and should not be allowed to die. I feel we should just respect each other and embrace our roles

33. Adeola

November 24, 2016 at 3:53 am

I am a woman and I agree 100% with Uti on this one. if we women want equal rights as they call it then you cant pick and choose. As for chimamanda’s view on the subject… too extreme… too tired to do a long type or offer any serious analysis. That i will do at another time….

34. juju

November 24, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Only God knows what happen. To think This elderly woman could have been offered a sit and she declined.. .. I’m a lady and I stand for true feminism any day anytime, to d lady whom uti replied drew d first sword although the picture paints a very obvious picture of male vs female, the real issue Wld have been the young vs old and the possibility of moral decline and respect for elders. This issue is world wide and I know countries where d sits in the trains or bus aren’t even Meant for the young fit or healthy in d first place, it is clearly specified or displayed by images that’s it’s meant for elderly, pregnant women or young children and see is place kept for those on ♿.. . So please let those who don’t understand feminism stop hijacking it at evrypoint and let those who often seem to act more enlightened. Attack feminism at evry Given opportunity , which intern would seem to be an attack on womanhood. Thanks

35. juju