News

No boy child was mobbed & burnt to death in Lagos – Police

The head of the Complaint Response Unit (CRU) of the Nigeria Police Force, ACP Abayomi Shogunle has said that no boy child was mobbed and burnt to death for allegedly stealing food stuff in Lagos.

On Tuesday, photos of a young man who was alleged to be 7-years old went viral on social media. He was beaten and burnt to death by an irate mob after he was accused of stealing.

Shogunle, in a 3-tweet statement, said that “a yet to be identified adult male corpse” was recovered in the Orile area of the state.

boy-mobbed-to-death

boy-mobbed-to-death

***

Whatever the case may be, jungle justice is a crime in itself and it MUST stop!

1. justince

November 17, 2016 at 1:19 pm

There are videos around. Please find the culprits and make an example of them. “speaking grammar” won’t help the majority of these uneducated nigerians understand that this is unacceptable. As brutally as Buhari taught people to queue up for busses, we need to do the same for jungle justice. gosh!

2. keke driver

November 17, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Is this a joke? I watched it on facebook nau….NOT PICTURES O….The video itself…

3. Engoz

November 17, 2016 at 4:29 pm

So who was in the video? Where did it happen? As the head of the Complaint Response Unit of the Nigeria Police Force, I hope your investigation did not just stop at “it’s not a boy, it’s a man”. What steps are the Lagos State government taking to address the social ill of Jungle Justice? I think one of the many downsides of colonization which was forcefully shoved down our throats was that it disconnected the ruling bodies from the people. The government is now an unreachable foreign body. In the old days when a social ill occurs, you find the leaders consulting the gods and sending out messages through their town criers to people on what to do to prevent such from happening again. What steps will Lagos state and all other states in Nigeria be taking to prevent jungle justice? A good step in the right direction is to sponsor advertisement which rejects jungle justice and strategically place them in markets, towns, villages, churches, mosques etc. You will also send in governmental agents into markets, towns, villages and educate and inform them of the consequences if caught taking the law in their hands. Practical steps are needed! Not 3 tweets. It is not hard, it can be done.

• Adaeze

November 17, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I keep thinking about it. I cannot wrap my head around it. When I was a teenager, I watched a 12 year old boy named Charles being burnt alive for stealing on channels tv. What are we turning into? For people to even stop and watch such, to allow such, to record such is beyond me! I was feeding my child and weeping at the same time when I read about it. This has to end! I have promised God, before He takes me away from this earth, I must make an Impact. Therefore I will start an advocacy group against jungle justice by Gods grace. This is really sickening!

• benosky

November 18, 2016 at 8:20 am

@Adeeze, i am praying for you to achieve your goal. I can see a heart of a mother in you. God bless you and your family.

• a

November 18, 2016 at 2:59 am

The man in the video was one of the boys terrorizing the area he stabbed a woman to death.