BN TV

Oil Spillage: Niger Delta King Drags Royal Dutch Shell before UK Court

BellaNaija.com

HRH Emere Godwin Bebe Okpabi, the King of Ogale in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers state, is in a London court with complaints against oil giant Royal Dutch Shell.

The Niger Delta region has generated billions of dollars for oil companies over the past 60 years. However, in 2011 the United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP) exposed massive levels of pollution caused by oil spills from pipelines in the region.

The communities are now fighting back.

WATCH:

1. S

November 23, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I’m so proud of this King. And he’s quite eloquent too. I hope he gets justice for his people. The havoc that these oil companies have created in the Niger Delta would not have been allowed in any Western country. If the Nigerian government can’t take them to task then it’s definitely more than time to sue them in the West. I wish him success.

• mujer

November 24, 2016 at 3:17 am

Not in Eleme language!! Okunbor, you dey hear? Na Anglais oh, no be eleme in case una wan talk say na issue of no comprende!

• mujer

November 24, 2016 at 3:19 am

And I hope nobody tries to kidnap this king or say some misfortune befell him. E no dey hard make people wey dey fight shell begin experience uncommon misfortune…..and sometimes in the hands of their kin who have eaten apple of eve. Make I run from Bella..

2. about time

November 23, 2016 at 2:15 pm

This is extremely good news and I hope something good comes out of this

3. EC

November 23, 2016 at 2:28 pm

yes. drag them. this cannot continue to happen. poor healthcare and water will impact generations to come

4. Tony

November 23, 2016 at 5:01 pm

We Africans need to wake up. This people have no conscience and are out to enslave us. Worst thing is our own leaders cornive with them for selfish gains. Preach king Preach . A good leader should fight for his community.

5. Anonymous

November 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Bella please correct the Address. He is the King of Ogale in Eleme Local Government Area of River State. I’m from Eleme and this is my first time Commenting. (I love Bellanaija)

6. Tee

November 23, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Idayi laro, tarugbo sunkun omo. I guess the chiefs on salary all these years will do a refund to their people too. Una son wey suppose help clean una domot sef no send una. Awon ‘our oil’ generation. Epele, Ekabo sori eto yi.

• Ijebujesha

November 24, 2016 at 3:36 am

@ Tee , for your comment, you should be extremely ashamed of yourself. With Yoruba land now so filled with many parasitic minds like you,Awo’s legacy of education as tool to liberate the mind has been rendered ineffective. All the degrees haven’t helped. Hausa/Fulanis are no longer the sole claimant of the title ‘parasite’ in the Nigerian union. I am Yoruba but truth be told, Yorubas are now parasites too. Otherwise, this stupid boy like many other yorubas will not be making enemies of ND people over their (ND’s) God given resource.

7. tunmi

November 24, 2016 at 1:25 am

BN please keep us updated