BN TV

BN TV: Do You Know What Your Nigerian Name Means? BattaBox Wants to Know

BN TV

In Nigeria, a person’s name is particularly important, not just because you’re stuck with it, whether you like it or not, but because the meaning of the particular name given to the baby says a lot about the child. Therefore, it is not unusual for parents and even grandparents, to have chosen a name for their new family member before he or she is even conceived, let alone born!

You can usually tell what tribe a Nigerian is from, whether they are Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba just from his/her name.

Take the name Adaeze for example, which means princess/senior daughter of the king. A foreigner may think ‘What a nice name’ but just from those 6 letters, a Nigerian will be able to tell that:

• Adaeze is Igbo, and
  • She is the first daughter born to that family.

Here’s another example… You meet a young Yoruba man with the name Taiwo. A non-Nigerian might think…’What an interesting name’ but a Nigerian would not only assume that Taiwo has a twin but they would be certain that his twin is named Kehinde.

Why? Because those two names are usually given to Yoruba twins – Taiwo being the older twin, and Kehinde being the younger twin.

Do you know what YOUR name means?

BattaBox‘s Odunayo hit the busy Lagos streets to find out if people know what their name means and if that meaning, accurately matches their personality. Here are some of the answers she received…

“Adeniyi means there is value for crown,” one gentleman states.

“What does Favour mean?” Odunayo asks a young lady.
“I don’t know…favour or good luck,” the lady answers.

What does YOUR name mean?

Watch the Video

1. Ify

December 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm

My name means good thing. I prefer it to my English name. Some people ask me why. I answer why not?

• Tosin

December 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm

It’s a beautiful name, Ifeoma. Beautiful.

• Ify

December 12, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Thank you. I love your name too ?

2. Say what

December 12, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Did the presenter say ”what does it MEANS?????
    Enjoyed the video although presenter was blowing fuse yay!!!!

• Ec

December 12, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Please they should find a better presenter. MEANS? No no this is terrible. At Primary 4 we knew this. I thought it was a mistake but she said it throughout the video. ‘What does your name means’

3. Enitan

December 12, 2016 at 5:58 pm

This is so concerning to watch. Young people with smart phones, never been curious enough about your name to Google the meaning? Even if you don’t have parents / family to ask the meaning ?

Taiwo is an almagamation of ‘tun aye wo’ so the first of the set of twins came to check the world out / the lay of the land so to speak.

Kehinde come after ‘ko eyin de’ meaning came behind (came behind taiwo)

Mine means someone with a story/history/tale. Alludes to the circumstances around my birth.

• Blah

December 12, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Taiwo breakdown is “to aiye wo” (direct translation: taste the world). Kehinde’s breakdown is “ko ehin de” (direct translation: took last/came last). The “to” in Taiwo has accent under the o, so basically like o for ogede. Taiwo is stated to come first to check if the world is “sweet”, as instructed by his/her Kehinde. Kehinde is always praised as “a kehinde gba egbon (gbegbon)” , i.e. the leader who sent his Taiwo out first but came last. In Yoruba if you are in last position in class or any circumstance, you will be stated to have “kehin”, e.g. “o kehin Charles”, i.e. he is in a position below/after Charles or he is Charles’ brother.

4. Anonymous

December 12, 2016 at 6:00 pm

The person asking questions is shelling

5. Otinkpu

December 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Favour that is not the name your father gave you… tell the truth, You gave your self that name when you moved to Lagos from the village.

6. Alpha Male

December 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm

My name is Ehiwariornortoyelua;
    meaning: We are begging God that he lives longer.

• Darius

December 12, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Kai, kai, kai…. your name is a mouthful. Lolzzz.. nice name.

7. Roma

December 12, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Look at young Nigerians who don’t know the meaning of their names. What a shame!
    But they know the latest phone model and trending news.

8. MurderSheWrote

December 12, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Elakeche – Do not worry about the (problems of the) world
    Ehikowoicho – Gift from God

• A Real Nigerian

December 12, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Idoma girl.

9. Nneka

December 12, 2016 at 9:17 pm

My name is Nneka which means “mother is great”… I love my name scarra

10. Banke

December 12, 2016 at 9:53 pm

My name’s Olabanke. It means ‘wealth should look after me’ ?. I love my name ’cause I think it’s not as common as the cliche yoruba names and I love its meaning.

11. Chinenye udeagbala

December 12, 2016 at 9:58 pm

My name is Chinenyenwa, it means God gives children. I luv my name

12. Fifi aka Iya Ibeji

December 12, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Alero first daughter, i softened the way(ground), grace and good things to follow

• Lovely name

December 13, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Itsekiri sister!

I love that name 🙂

13. Anonymous

December 12, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Tamunomieokum- God gave me something that is good

14. Cocolette

December 12, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I’m weak! For the presenter that has got her tenses confused, and for the respondents who don’t know the meaning of their names…how on earth do you not know the meaning of Favour and you’ve been carrying the name around for more than 20 years?!!!

15. emerald

December 12, 2016 at 10:38 pm

I love my name….Adebanke…take care of the crowd.my grea grandt mun named me TENIOlA-wealth expander.

16. emerald

December 12, 2016 at 10:54 pm

My name is beautiful n unique…..as the first great grand daughter (paternal) my grand dad named me ADEBANKE….as losing six of his blood brothers to obaship.d only heir of his fada.TENIOLA (WEALTH EXPANDER) by my great grand mum (maternal) .I was born d day my uncle got his visa 27 + years ago

17. Nene'sMa

December 12, 2016 at 11:10 pm

My name is Idafurosiya, it literally means my father’s tummy is not bad.

18. Tutu

December 12, 2016 at 11:11 pm

“What does it means!” Shame!

19. nwa nna

December 13, 2016 at 1:11 am

OK, luv batter box but the continuous use of “what does it means” by the presenter was quite distracting.
    Batter box ,please take note abeg because your channel is being viewed globally!

20. JerseyGirl

December 13, 2016 at 2:41 am

I’m more disturbed that the producers, editors, directors, camera men and the entire rest of the crew for this production could not correct the grammatical error before putting this out.

Battabox has been around for a while and would have done better by now had they invested more in educating their presenters.

This is such an embarrassment, I cringed and can’t even share. God help Nigeria.

Excellence is vital at the smallest level.

21. Noni

December 13, 2016 at 7:00 am

Lwkmd!! The way Lagosians murdered English in this interview sha; even the Interviewer, she no try at all! “What does it means?”

22. Xoxo

December 13, 2016 at 10:30 am

What does your name means?..
    Ow?…
    Does your name defines your personality??..
    Oh dear Lord??… It was rather annoying to hear all these gramatical errors especially from a presenter. Someone should have corrected her na.
    Anyway its weird when people don’t know what their names mean.
    Mine is Fiyinfoluwa which means praise the Lord…. So Praise the Lord somebody ??… I love the name my grandma gave me, Adunni. It means sweetheart or one that is sweet to have.

23. Ayodele

December 13, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Ayodele meaning joy has come home.?