News

Catholic Priest wants African Culture to be Incorporated in the Church’s Doctrine

BellaNaija.com

NAIROBI, KENYA - NOVEMBER 24: A detail of a vestment made for a priest ahead of Pope Francis' visit on November 24, 2015 in Nairobi, Kenya. Pope Francis makes his first visit to Kenya on a five day African tour that is scheduled to include Uganda and the Central African Republic. Africa is recognised as being crucial to the future of the Catholic Church with the continent's Catholic numbers growing faster than anywhere else in the world.  (Photo by Nichole Sobecki/Getty Images)

The priest of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Akwanga, Nasarawa state, Rev. Father Gabriel Ngbe has called on the church to incorporate the some aspects of the African culture into its parishes in the continent.

According to Vanguard, Ngbe disclosed this during the church’s Acculturation Mass, saying that the Church’s doctrine must be amended to accommodate every member.

Ngbe said that those who had more than one wife before accepting Christ should not be discriminated against in Church.

“It is better to have many wives at home than to have only one and yet have many girl friends and lovers outside,” the priest said.

“The Whiteman that brought Christianity to us mixed the religion with his culture and Africans just accepted it like that at the expense of our culture. If we do not incorporate parts of our culture into the way we worship God, our culture would in no distant time go into extinction,” he said.

Ngbe urged members of the church to use local outfits during weddings.

He also said that local foods should be used for Communion, and that local names should be given to people during Baptism and Confirmation as opposed to “English Names”.

The priest urged other tribes to emulate the Yorubas as he commended them for incorporating their culture in the way they practised Christianity and Islam.

Photo Credit: Nichole Sobecki/Getty Images

1. didi

December 12, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Y should men b allowed to marry many wives and women b made to accept it weda dey like it or not. Well, if married women will be forgiven for infidelity then it will be fair cos men of today will automatically send u parking.

• Amaka

December 12, 2016 at 8:54 pm

No. Tell me that I am dreaming. In the beginning it was Adam and Eve not Eves. Also, a leader must have one wife according to the old testament. The Bible instructs against fornication and adultery whether you are black or white so how is the Bible cultural.

2. BA

December 12, 2016 at 2:25 pm

This one is the Lord’s chosen. Really; Finally some sense in the way we should practice Christianity.

3. Dora

December 12, 2016 at 2:34 pm

4. esther

December 12, 2016 at 2:58 pm

What can I say! I can’t judge. I totally disagree with the priest saying a man marrying more than 1 wife than having many girlfriends with a wife. Why don’t we follow what the bible has been saying rather than add our own african culture to it. I’m yet to see a fashion designer who will make an african wedding dress turn heads, otherwise I still the oyibo’s wedding dress.

5. Ify

December 12, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Reminds me of Purple hibiscus when Kambili’s cousin, Amaka(??) refused to go through with her confirmation unless she could pick an Igbo name.

• Nv

December 16, 2016 at 4:18 pm

That was the first thing that came to my mind

6. Dora

December 12, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Bella nija, where is my comment please?

7. Dora

December 12, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Have you now started selective comment publishing? I can’t possibly type that whole thing again. Pls kindly post my comment before I stop reading your blog.

• A Real Nigerian

December 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm

“Pls kindly post my comment before I stop reading your blog.”
      Ooooo. That should scare them. ?

• Dora

December 12, 2016 at 4:54 pm

No it should scare your sorry head!!!lol

8. Dora

December 12, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Uncle, how many of our African cultures have been revised since they were made? How can we in the year 2016 still practice cultures that were made in the 18th century? Some if not most African customs are obsolete, disgusting and actually not relevant to the modern society. Reverend Father, I thought u would be more interested in using Ur position to bring about change to these stupid cultures which I don’t even know who invented them…. For instance, during my traditional marriage, I was expected to bring a list of things for a bunch of idiots I had never met in my life nor have ever impacted my life in any way. And when I protested, they said “it is the culture”. Who makes the culture. Is it not human beings abi gods? We hide our ignorance and stupidity behind the mask called culture. When an elder clearly misbehaves, he will shut the younger ones by saying its the culture. In my opinion, “african culture”should be scrapped the hell off. People should work with laws/legal frameworks, their common sense and conscience (if they have one, coz u can barely see people with a conscience in todays Nigeria)… No wonder the African continent is so backward, plagues with poverty, sickness of all sorts, corruption and mentally inferior people… Mtxhew. PS. I am reposting my comment a second time

9. Ginger

December 12, 2016 at 4:54 pm

And the white man will condescendingly say “This is all african men are good for, defending their egos, adultery and polygamy.” Fundamentalists shout “Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve” when homosexuality comes up, but suddenly turn quiet when adultery and bigamy become the case. Is it not “Adam and Eve” not “Adam, Ada and Eve”?

You couldn’t add essentials like us having our Nigerian names for baptism and confirmation, our having more beatified and canonised African saints, and recognising the ones we already have like Saint Bakhita, the Ugandan Saints, even St Augustine the Algerian that no one knows is actually African. Fight for Iwene Tansi to be canonised even after proof of miracles. Programs that rehabilitate Native practitioners who are willing to start a new leaf. Africans finally being allowed to keep the money we raise during harvests rather than send it to Rome and have to raise more money ourselves to build new churches and renovate new churches, programs to help women that are victims of rape, child marriage, being subject to vile practices when they are accused of killing their husbands. What of victims of the Osu caste system? What have you done to help people like that? What of martyrdom recognition for the priests that have been kidnapped and murdered in the North? Why not add sanctions to the church for men that beat their wives and commit adultery? And the women too. Established programs and scoladship schemes to help rehabilitate prostitutes and victims of child trafficking, but I guess your suggestion is that men should marry these women instead of empowering the women and protecting them from these men WHO ARE ALREADY MARRIED. But no, the African man has gotten away with adultery and domestic violence so long, rather than curb his excesses, let’s enable him some more.

• A Real Nigerian

December 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm

“Adam, Ada and Eve” ?

10. mr x

December 12, 2016 at 4:55 pm

change is coming to Africa gradually. I totally agree with the priest . To begin with Christianity/Islam was never our religion in the south west. . . It was forced on us.

11. Ismail

December 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm

That is the only way we can change Africa

12. meelikey

December 12, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Its good I daily have reminders that Jesus Is Coming Very Soon

13. Chy

December 12, 2016 at 10:09 pm

May God forgive this man for thinking that enabling more bad behaviors in African men is the solution to sins they commit against Christ Jesus who died for them. Devil is in the church doing mannequin challenge overtime. The God we serve does not approve of what this man is saying. If you are confused about it, read your bible, you will find the truth. It is very obvious that some big men with money suggested this to the priest and gave him money to clean mouth. This man has sold Jesus again. May his since be forgiven.