News

Gospel Filmmaker Mike Bamiloye takes a Stand against Comedy in Church Meetings

BellaNaija.com

Mike Bamiloye

Mike Bamiloye

President of Mount Zion Faith Ministries International – a Christian Film & Drama organisation – Mike Bamiloye has voiced his opinion on the invitation of comedians to church meetings and events.

Bamiloye shared his thoughts on Facebook.

He said that he decided to share his opinion after receiving a message on Whatsapp.

Read what he wrote below:

As per COMEDY in Church Meetings and Events!!

I want to address Christians – ALL denominations – this morning without prejudice!

For a long while I have questioned the inclusion of COMEDY in Church events. What do I question? The fact that the comedians brought in are allowed to make jokes of scriptures, the Blood of Jesus, speaking in tongues, the throne of grace etc.’ AND WE SIT THERE LAUGHING!

What are we laughing at? What is funny? Mocking God and Christ and the Holy Spirit and the Word is funny????

We hear of other religions where they are obsessed with protecting the image of their Leader and we gleefully allow people to MOCK our Leader JESUS CHRIST and the Holy Spirit and thereby indirectly MOCKING GOD!!! They look at us with disdain because we are BAD AMBASSADORS of our faith!

Lukewarmness and cynicism has crept slowly into the life of Christians. We pull ourselves down publicly, abuse leaders of the gospel will glee, mock certain commandments of God. YET when we run into trouble who do we call upon???

Bible has already stated that towards the end times there will be mockers of the gospel and preachers doing wrong. WHY ARE YOU ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE ONE OF THEM???

We come into Facebook and spew out curses and abuses – mock the commandments especially when it comes to forgiveness issues and honour of parents etc and we go to church and lift up hands and voices to WHO??? HE who we MOCK with DISOBEDIENCE? We quickly mouth monotonous words – God is in control! Amen! It is well! Praise God etc but do we HONOUR HIM with our words and actions??? We are humans and not perfect but SHOULD WE MOCK THE CORE COMPONENTS OF OUR FAITH???

I was thinking of all these since Friday when a comedian was allowed in the stage at the EXPERIENCE to use a scripture in the Old Testament as foundation for his jokes! I LAUGHED also but later felt badly convicted and I said I will speak out – then this morning I received the message below in my whatsapp and I said ‘somebody feels the same way I do’. It is long but worth reading –

FROM ANONYMOUS (Originally written by Onayinka Olusegun)

I was brought up under very rigid church atmosphere, to humor during a sermon was almost Like a sin,,
Then came “knowledge” we felt we had been too religious, somewhat and somehow, we threw away the baby with the bath water..

We introduced fun into services, From dance steps to many other things,

“to the pure all things are pure,” we must have quoted.

What we failed to see is the side effects of entertainment:

– Lightness
– Looseness
– Loquaciousness
– The spirit of lasciviousness prevailed .

Then the latest miasma…

COMEDY

Sad enough, recently I found myself laugh at one of such instances, and quickly I Checked myself ” are you losing your mind,” I asked myself.

Comical jokes and ridiculous jokes poked at scripturally awed activities!!!!!!

– Jokes about casting out demons (when fewer believers actually cast out Demons)
– Mockery about tongues (called a communication with the Father )
– Gifts of the spirit used as comedy and to generate hilarity (whereas fewer believers walk in the gifts)
– Ministry of angels used as comical relief
– Judgment seat of Christ made to look like theatre too.
– Most vitally, preachers of the gospels in humor mannequin for laughs and fun.

The list goes on.

What exactly is happening???

The Yorubas say “it’s a bastard who uses his left hand to describe his fathers house”

We mustn’t be so behaved.

We should know the importance of the above activities, things Christ purchased (made available) with His blood, found only in His spirit.

They can’t be used for drama and comedy to laugh and jeer or cheer!!!

IT MUST STOP!

1 Timothy 3:15 KJV
[15] But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

A fellow told me: “laughter is medicine for the soul”
I said, “the laughter needed, Is it referring to laughing from a joke, or joy in the Holy Ghost?

There is joy in the Holy Ghost.

Jesus demonstrated it, the church in Acts, Paul and the apostles taught it and they weren’t referring to making a mockery of spiritual things .

Nothing wrong in humor but keep away things of the faith and verity.

Like paul admonished –
Ephesians 5:4 KJV
[4] Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Let’s have the consecration of the old timers and behave ourselves in the house!

If your church members are carnal, no need feeding their carnality, feed them spiritual realities.

Those of us here who believe these jesters and comedians are desecrating the altar of God should rise and oppose this when they are brought to your church.

Go meet the leadership in office and express your mind. Once we don’t create an atmosphere of seriousness and worship, what right do we have to expect the manifestation of God’s glory in our midst?

Jesters and mockers can go to wedding receptions and wherever.

Yet if you mock or despise holy things, you can still come under God’s judgment.
They joke about the blood of Jesus, the name of Jesus, choruses etc. When they are in trouble and need the blood or the Name, how can it work for them?

So there it is: what is the stance you will take??? Join the revelers or stand against MOCKERY in the name of COMEDY in Church activities and events???

I have said my own!

Laila St. Matthew-Daniel
#IStandAgainstReligiousComedyInChurch
#HonourAndRespectForChrist

1. Thatgidigirl

December 12, 2016 at 4:02 pm

This is dicey…. I was thinking to myself the other day while driving down lekki-epe expressway. There’s an assortment of new generation churches springing up at every round about on that axis, with large billboards ADVERTISING one preacher, speaker,singer or comedian every other week. Why do the pastors of these churches feel the need to keep their flock “entertained” in order for them to remain? If you have a guest speaker every week, or a conference every month, when do you actually mount the pulpit to preach? Do churches even care about the great commission anymore or they are more interested in retainership? Have churches taken customer service to another level that even telecom companies cannot rival?
    career conference, finance convention, singles conference, this and that artist, laugh for Christ etc fun kini now??? Lets take it easy. It is not by power or by might, or by comedians……Its by the spirit of God. If you get them through entertainment, you would have to keep them through entertainment. Why should people’s tithe be used to pay comedians…..one that isn’t a believer at that?
    Christianity means “Christ like”, can we take a moment to ponder over that. This take take mentality we have as christians is what has kept us in this mess. God is not a magician, He has instructed in Matt 6:33 seek ye first the kingdom and every other thing shall be added….including job, marriage, money, etc…..but first you must seek him. Instead we would rather hold all night breakthrough service, finance conference, singles seminar etc with special apperances from comedians and guest speakers where church members are made to believe that they can cut corners to get what they want from God. God is not mocked…..
    Finally, I am not against conferences and and guest speakers but if a church has to do a “special programme” every week, month or every 2 months then i have to question what the motives are. Do you know how much it takes to do publicity for each of these programmes? How many orphanages have they built ?(take example from the catholic churches), how have they really impacted the people in their vicinity and beyond through charity? Jor o!
    phew! (got my panties up in a bunch for a minute there)

• Idomagirl

December 12, 2016 at 4:48 pm

My biggest issue- this need to entertain and be entertained will not be our downfall.
      Bogus miracles, comedic skits, funny choreographies, singing secular songs – the lines keep getting blurrier and blurrier.
      Churches are permitting all sorts these days to keep the congregation coming, for the sake of money.
      God help us all.

• Anon Today

December 12, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Well-said Thatgidigirl,
      I watched the comedians that came on The Experience. I believe Mike Bamiloye was referring to MC Abbey. Why they call him a christian comedian is what I’ll still understand someday. He cited a verse from the book of Exodus that had the word “mess” and kept repeating the word in a manner he thought was funny. But it was not, not to me. Akpororo, on the other hand, made me laugh but his opening lines were just as vain. He looked at the crowd and said he imagined himself as a pastor with such large congregation. Insinuating he would have made a lot of money. It’s interesting that the blasphemy or disrespect is lost on us while the entertainment lasts. We all laugh and call it fun. Yet, we know it was not so from the beginning. If the early christians were this unserious, I wonder what sort of christianity they would have passed to us.
      As a boy I listened to a number of recordings of people who said they were delivered from the powers of darkness. I remember one who said she worked closely with the devil. She said the devil warned them to be very serious with their works because the Righteous One (Jesus Christ) whom they opposed was always serious. That the bible has no record of where Jesus smiled but records that He wept (John 11: 35).
      That was supposed to be a message from hell, noting that Our saviour did not consider the work of the kingdom a plaything. But we who are called christians have no idea how sacrosanct some subjects are. We want to funkify everything. Matter of fact: some of us will actually find this post annoying.
      This goes beyond the caricature of important features of christianity by christians. It should make us ponder on how people redefine christianity according to their tastes and ‘honestly’ believe it is acceptable before heaven. Some of us think that the apex of knowledge and courage is that place where matters of faith are subjected to ridicule. How ignorant!
      My point is not that there is no room for laughter in a church. I’ve watched some ‘just far laugh’ programmes on TBN that didn’t seem carnal. Mine is: if you want to entertain in a church or similar gathering, know your boundaries and choose your words carefully.
      Yes, nobody holy pass. We all live by His Grace. But the Gracious, Merciful God is also the God judgement. Certain things are not to be played with.

• Anon Today

December 12, 2016 at 6:31 pm

God of judgement*

• peter

December 13, 2016 at 11:31 am

Well spoken dear. The Lord will continue to uphold you in his righteous hand. You don’t have to be quiet when one sees the evil that has silently crept into the church today in the name of entertainment. Can they try this in any mosque? what is good laughter while mocking God in the process? Harvester church on the Lekki-axis area is number on the list of the so-called new generation churches that delight in bringing in comedians to the podium on a weekly basis. May God deliver them from gross ignorance.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

December 13, 2016 at 3:42 pm

And have you also noticed that a lot of people now tend to refer to their church Altar as “the stage”?

It was something that started becoming perceptible to me recently… you know how you’re attending an event in church and someone’s talking about inviting a guest gospel artiste or minister to climb the podium and they say something like, “Now coming up to the stage is…”.

Hearing that term continuously has made me wonder about a few thing because it’s rather telling, isn’t it? A subconscious reference to the singing or preaching actually being a performance… for our sole entertainment and nothing more.

You’ve raised very valid points, @ThatGidiGirl. May God help us to keep the Holy Things truly Holy, and even including our hearts (which is the primary house He wants to dwell in).

2. Sean

December 12, 2016 at 4:31 pm

@thatgidigirl – hmmm Very Well Said

3. Luqman

December 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm

I actually agree with him because God is not a jester. Bible even says that there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. That is why his word is called admonition so that we won’t repeat the same mistakes that had been made by the people before us. Even as a Muslim, I loved to listen to Obadare and Ayo Nio program in those days cos someone could easily relate with them. What is the essence of hearing a word of God if someone cannot feel sober so that the word can sink into the system?
    If God is a jester, he wouldn’t keep sending prophets upon prophets to deliver his messages

• Blackbeauty

December 12, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I agree with you Luqman. These days one doesn’t go to church and feel sober anymore. Nothing said from the pulpit causes you to pause and reflect. The prophetic declarations are fine but we also need to be reminded that he’ll is real and Jesus will return soon.
      Too many people in churches are dying and going to hell.

• mela

December 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I thought is only me. Seriously am tried! God help HIS Church.
      Discipleship meetings by Peace house/house of refuge is still my refreshing point.

• Sean

December 12, 2016 at 9:24 pm

I frankly agree with everyone who supports the motion that churches should not be turned into comedy Arena.

But according to Psalm 2:4 – “He that sitteth in heaven laugheth, The Lord hath them in derision.” If God in heaven laughs, who are we not to laugh?

Once in a while when church is having a lighter events, it’s not a bad idea to bring little comic session into the event.. I mean really mature and biblical jokes. Not the type we have in Nigeria where they bring secular comedians to come crack jokes in church to attract people to event.

When we were young, the church alters were seen as a scred place where any kinda person can not just stand to play around or minister. Because alter is seen as a holy place where God’s word is ministered. Fast-forward to present time, the respect we used to accord church alters is no longer there based on the kind of people pastors bring to their alters to minister.

This is a wake-up call to churches

• Phoebe

December 13, 2016 at 12:57 am

Okay but you took psalm 2:4 totally out of context, please read verses 3 and 5. This is why most people miss the point of the bible’s message.

4. Idomagirl

December 12, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I actually agree.
    Completely.
    100%.

I was watching that comedian and it wasn’t even funny.
    He like so many other so-called Christian comedians make jokes with things that should be sacred to us, the Word, Speaking in Tongues and even worse, the name of Jesus.
    If we don’t take our articles of faith seriously, how do we expect non-Christians to respect them?

Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, indigenous religions and various others – do any of the adherents of these faiths mock, make jest and treat their beliefs as casually as Christians do?

I’m guilty of engaging in some of this in the past, but lately I find myself thinking more and more about it.
    God help us.

• seyi

December 12, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Honestly!! My pastor always says if you jest with or about the scriptures, the day you need it to work for you, why should it work?? How can there be nothing else to jest about but the Word of God? God please help us.

5. Ruth

December 12, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I completely agree with you Pastor as I have always had reservations about comedy in church especially jokes that has to do one way or the other with incidents that takes place in church or prayer or music ministrations. They mock even men of God. It’s really pathetic some things that we let slide when it comes to our quest to make people comfortable in church as if that it the main goal of the gospel. No to comedy in church gathering and programs. I stand with you sir.

6. Ima

December 12, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I’ve thought about this sometimes especially when the joke is way too offensive for Scriptures and indeed the church but I don’t know……sometimes it’s funny and harmless while some other times it is too much, if the comedians can’t keep it harmless, I feel it should be stopped although I can’t lie, I enjoy some.. ..such a dicey subject

7. naya

December 12, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Dis reminds me of d day a German came to see my dad for some work related issue, he told my dad dat after visiting two churches in naija, dat it is just an entertainment center..
    Someone will say wats wrong with joke, isn’t it God dat gave dem d talent…….. Now wat is wrong is d fact dat dey make jokes out of SACRED things, Jesus,d holy spirit, d Bible, pastors, people praying to God, d worship……. lets be sincere to ourselves it is very wrong, cos grace abides doesn’t mean we should take it for granted and lets not forget dat comedy is mostly lies, like d one akpororo was giving, he was lying, lying tobe funny dats not right
    But then its already in our Bible, in d last days there would be a lot of evil, lets just face God squarely and our Bible to be free from evil cos from d look of things ehn even pastor cannot guide u right again dis days
    God will help us…….. Amen

8. kemi

December 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm

We can all stand against it and say no more comedy time in our churches/ christian gatherings. I also felt bad watching that during EXPERIENCE.

9. Busola I

December 12, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Well said @pastor Bamiloye and previous commenters. Im also guilty in this regard.May God enable me reverence His word in spirit and truth.

I imagine if Jesus was a jester and entertainer in his days, He would have been so popular in His days but no, he was hated and despised because his message was not attractive to the world which loves to demean and neutralise the truth.

• Michael

December 12, 2016 at 9:27 pm

People must remember Jesus came to save men from their sins, and he also died to make that happened. They’re no jokes nor laughing matter in the word of God.

10. horpsy

December 12, 2016 at 6:13 pm

God bless you sir about time some did this. I hope the church takes this up. Enough is enough. We are not in CHURCH to be entertained period!

11. Jo Enigie

December 12, 2016 at 6:16 pm

I totally agree with this article. I have always found it very offensive when the so called comedians make a mockery of my Jesus and Christianity. The bible says that we will account for every word we speak and we cannot tell the Angels that it was a mistake. Please beware!

12. Seriously

December 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Very refreshing piece. And he wrote from an insightful and clear perspective. I agree with the pastor and other commenters.

13. Anonymous

December 12, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Hmmm going by Bamiloye’s rationale, that will mean I’ve been in the wrong church for the last two years and I diasagree!! My pastor is a clown/comedian turned pastor. Sometimes i feel like he was born a comedian, but somewhere down the road God was like Naaaaah, i need you to preach. The way he interpretes the word of God with humor, yet with enough power to convict your spirit and bring you to your knees. I don’t even know how to explain it, you have to experience it. You go laugh die!! I look forward to every weekend because I get to hear the word of God and laugh.
    Interestingly enough, I found this church after I had given up on God. After having several terrible experiences with “very prayerful and God fearing” people and pastors, I had made up my mind to become an aethist. This good God I had been hearing about clearly was not good, if his spirit is actually what lives in these people. I was going to live a good life; be good to my fellow man and do the right thing to the best of my ability. But no God, prayer, church for me. I was done. Then a friend of mine told me to give her one last shot. Follow her to this church. Come and see how I sat down with attitude inside. But that day, that pastor changed my life. How could preaching feel like I was at Comedy Central, yet I was being convicted in my spirit. In tears, I rededicated my life to Christ and I haven’t looked back since.

• Hector

December 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Please, what church is this? Sounds like a church I would love to attend. The Bible has said it that a joyful heart is merriment to the bones. Jesse Duplantis once climbed the stage to preach but said the Holy Spirit instructed him to crack jokes. At the end, he said he was instructed by God to do that and that people were receiving divine healing, from laughing. God is not static. He is dynamic. The only thing that doesn’t change is His laws but His acts change. The way God moved 10 years ago is not the same way she will move now. Once upon a time, playing musical instruments in churches were deemed worldly. I do not feel like God is rigid. Having a comedian does not negate the glory of God. Our unfounded zealousness should not become a hindrance to other people receiving edification, just because it doesn’t fit your mold.

• Hector

December 12, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Same way He will move. I don’t know why autocorrect changed it to she

• A Real Nigerian

December 13, 2016 at 12:52 am

Autocorrect is an angry feminist.

• Toyin

December 13, 2016 at 6:15 am

Please don’t go saying God is dynamic. It bothers on blasphemy. He is the same, yesterday and forever. His standard remains the same. Now we can ‘hide’ under grace since Christ came to die for us and reconcile us to God. Our perception of Grace is what has changed churches and Christian services/gathering. As humans, we are always looking for ways to help God – the worldly worship, entertainment, comedy. Even the language is bordering on worldly (the word ‘performance’ is often bandied about even by pastors who should know better). The focus should be on God, and not how we are thrilled or whether we enjoy the service or sermon. If the bible is truly our standard, we should seek to act and worship God as laid down in the bible.

Apostle Paul said we should be followers of him – the question is, will the Apostle run churches the way we run churches today? He planted a number of churches yet the practices were the same – simple, reverential and the focus was on God. To worship Him in truth and in spirit – our calling as Christians. We have taken human instrumentality to another level. We devise new ways to ‘bring’ them him. We seek to help God but we are only called to preach the word – reason with people.

Those churches don’t exist today – minus the passage of time, read Revelation for the letter to the churches and you will see why churches diminish. Did they allowed the world to dictate how they will serve and worship God, possibly.

On a final note, the children of Israel (symbolic first church of Christ before the new testament) wanted a more interesting mode of worship with no restraint and bound by their own rules. They wanted a religion like that of the Egyptians (representing the world today). In the same way, the churches still want to worship like they do in the world (Egypt). This is not a case of rigidity. Worship and Christian gathering call for decorum and reverence. Bible says, come out from among them and be ye separate,

• kess babay

December 13, 2016 at 8:53 am

i’m pretty sure. its davids christain center in amuwo odofin or the branch near meadow hall, elegushi. the pastor is amazing

• Jade Edo babe

December 13, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Preaching the word of God with humor but the pastor is focused on her/his message is different than making jest/jokes out of the word of God. My pastor is the same way, he keeps it simple with some humor that after laughing your heart still feels convicted.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

December 13, 2016 at 3:49 pm

I also worship in a House of God that’s pastored by an amazing man, who has a gift of speaking into people’s hearts. And he sometimes cracks us up with recounts of his past and the mistakes he’s made or even just general humour about current world events.

However, he never makes fun of God or anything to do with God and that’s the very essential difference between a lot of the comedic performances starting to spring up in the church and a person who’s focused on preaching The Word and sometimes using the benefit of light-hearted humour to do it.

• mz_danielz

December 14, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I don’t think the challenge is with the jokes but with the seeming lack of reverence for God.

To me, it is really a spiritual thing, if you are to minister in any way; song, dance comedy, preaching etc. you need to be humble enough and ask the holyspirit to use you to minister,

I once attended a camp meeting where a fellowship group danced to the remix of I believe I can fly and people started speaking in tongues and giving their lives to Christ.

When we stand before God’s people, we need to be willing for him to use us and that involves preparing ourselves in prayer and in his presence.

God gave gifts to men and wants to use them for his glory through us.

It’s a heart thing

14. Chris Daniel

December 12, 2016 at 7:03 pm

All these nonsense are coming up because when artists were mocking the Name of JESUS in various home movies, we never say anything. When they were making jest of the gift of speaking in tongues, we felt entertained and bought their CDs. When they were using the Name of Jehovah our God in. Vain, we celebrated them and gave them awards. When they were making joke of our. Faith, believe and repentance in their home movies, we did nothing to show our displeasure.. Now they have grown wings, and have decided to enter the house of God to complete their mission of desecration. Yes, it is good for Pastors to stop this madness but, the most important question must be answered first, and that is, how many pastors are really called by God? This will really be difficult to answer and, because of this, all Christians of like mind, that are against all these forms of unholy activities in various churches need to stop attending such services. With prayer and consistency, God will gradually increase the number of members that will stop attending such services and, it will die. I love Baba Bamiloye and all that are against this nonsense in the house of God. God bless you all.

15. Thatgidigirl

December 12, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Thank God for your testimony, but this is way different. Your pastor is a minister of God and a teacher with a good sense of humour. His main objective was/is to win souls for Christ which was why there was an altar call at the end of the sermon, which was also why you were convicted and saved. Where a church goes out of its way to keep booking comedians and the likes just to keep the congregation entertained is what I do not understand. When Nathaniel Bassey and some other gospel musicians sing, you feel the presence of God and it is biblical to worship God in songs. Pray tell how some of these comedians glorify God or change lives through their mockery of the faith?

16. NG

December 12, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I think the issue here is comedy during service. It can distract and detract from the sombre atmosphere ideal for communion between man and God.
    That said, i think churches offer entertainment to members as a way of life balance act. If Christianity is a complete way of life, many don’t have life outside church (is this good or bad? I don’t know) and so church serves as spiritual, social, educational etc centre for them.

17. LEE

December 12, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I have been educated today

Have learnt alot from you all

18. Roma

December 12, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Yes, I support you Sir. Bamiloye. Comedy in churches should be stopped.
    It’s not funny to me and I refused to laugh at any joke about Christ, priests, pastors, evangelists etc…

Go to some Churches, you’ll hear the choir master/mistress saying, dance makosa for God, Azonto for Christ or whatever they call it. They want to make everything about entertainment. The Church should be a sober place.
    Shall we continue in sin that grace may abide? God forbid.

19. Babym

December 12, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Hmmm I actually don’t agree at all. I mean I get what Pastor Bamiloye is saying but I just feel like we keep putting God in a box! Who says that church must be only uptight? I really do believe God has a sense of humour. He is sooooo incredible that He is the all powerful King of Kings that we will tremble at His name and yet He is as gentle and tender and believe it or not I’m sure He likes us to laugh too.

Comedy can actually be a gift from God. If God has blessed somebody with the ability to make people laugh, that person cld also very well be called to be a pastor. So because the person is a pastor they shld hide their comedic gifts??

I get it. We must reverence God and not make a mockery of His Word. But we are also allowed to have a sense of humor. No matter who or what we are we must praise God with the gifts he has given us.

• olapeju

December 12, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Nope. You still don’t get it. Please read the above article again. Thank you

• Olori

December 12, 2016 at 10:00 pm

As usual Babym you did not read the article you always say rubbish for waaaay too long sisturr

• Babym

December 12, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Buhahahaha ? Olori ur comment actually made me laugh. Ngwa no vex I shall keep kwayet ?

• Toyin

December 13, 2016 at 6:25 am

Cain did the same – he gave a sacrifice he thought was right by his own standard. God rejected it and him. Worship is not about us but about God. The use of our mind and heart – focus is on God not on ourselves. We always want to worship God and nourish our flesh.

20. I_I

December 12, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I had a similar experience a few months back, when I felt my childhood church was tailoring too many of its messages towards people above the age of 50. I tried a very popular church on the Mainland, and I was aghast: it felt more like a concert than a church service; the sermon was brief , pre-recorded, and played back to the congregation (thing is same sermon was replayed to other services held that day), and the atmosphere in the church – lets just say it wasn’t one of somber reflection. I left church that day wondering on the future of christainity for so many of the young people that are fanatical devotees of the church. It felt like ‘diet coke christainity’ – wanting all of the sweetness, and none of the calories.

21. Bimbo

December 12, 2016 at 9:39 pm

There is absolutely nothing to be done about the tide of churches turning hip / trendy . The world is moving away from religion and turning more towards humanism and spirituality. The “entertainment” provided in pentecostal churches is the main reason why hordes of youth left the old school Baptist, Anglican, Catholic etc churches – how many times can you study one book for 52 Sundays years in year out ? Off course entertainment is necessary !

• Lulu

December 12, 2016 at 10:01 pm

lol see you in hell

• Marlvina

December 12, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Are you joining her? When you say “see you”…

22. Amina

December 12, 2016 at 9:59 pm

I felt the same way whilst watching ‘The Experience’, the jokes were in bad taste to me. I actually felt the jokes should have been screened before the event, because it was downright embarrassing at some point. Ultimately, God cannot be mocked and if a number of us feel the same way it could be that a revival is upon us, we may not recognize it but slowly and surely the Lord is setting our hearts on fire for Him, glory be to Jesus! Against all odds, the Lord continues to win!

23. Anonymous

December 12, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I attend one of the “G8” churches on the mainland. while on my way to church 2 services back I knew this was right time to change my church; I needed a good atmosphere of prayer and worship ( life isn’t all funware), needed a remorseful environment to grow spiritually, etc

I thought of going back to my childhood church, yes they may have gay bishops, but they have values, character, listen to constructive Criticism, they do not justify the need for human egocentric wants (jets, luxury life styles), But I couldn’t because of …….

24. Choc!

December 13, 2016 at 12:05 am

Aunty Bimbo! Please take it easy… The Word of God is not to be compared with books! No go chop curse because you want your comment to appeal to the lukewarm

25. OA

December 13, 2016 at 12:29 am

Me sef, I have learned a lot today and I am going to have to adhere to these wise instructions. I agree it is good to laugh once in a while in church and that laughter is a good medicine, but there’s also a reminder in Proverbs 14:13 that Laughter can conceal a heavy heart, but when the laughter ends, the grief remains. Soright. To each his own, but it’s true too many comedians in church these days. A lot of comedians have come to my church for example and I will be honest, at times, I cringe at the jokes because they can be extreme. Like one time Akpororo came and was shaking abi “jerking” his waist in one kain fashion while doing his thing. I felt rather uncomfortable oh. I had one of those “look to the left and right with some bulging eyes” as if eennhh…in the house of God?!

Also, my pastor himself is a real comedian but he does not make fun of people. Rather it’s when he’s talking about his childhood experiences such as walking several miles to deliver chicken to someone at age 9, or just generally about his mother and his upbringing and his translation of some conk Yoruba proverbs into English that he will have you rolling. I really like my church.

26. LemmeRant

December 13, 2016 at 5:18 am

Maybe I’m too late for this one.

A lot has been said about pastors, comedians, churches. Very few has been said about the congregation.
    Pastors and churches are not the problem, the congregation is. Churches prioritize entertainment because that is what the people want. (I’m not justifying their action, but that is the reality)

I attend an orthodox church. I can tell you for a fact that people (especially youths) yearn to be entertained. People want to be led by a cool pastor who drives the latest cars, rocks the latest shoes, tailored in the best suits. I know this for a fact.
    I have seen my chapel President and the executives struggle to gain the attention of youths. They never come early to service, they hardly want to participate. They want everything to be hip and trendy. They want a church that will adjust to their lifestyle. Haven’t you wondered the church all these useless and corrupt politicians attend? How does someone steal and ruin lives Monday-Friday and then go to church on Sunday to pay tithes and give offering and everything is okay. Our churches are primarily becoming profit making organizations, and it is the people who are seeking out this churches. How else will they be doing so well?
    I’ve once had a girl acknowledge she only changed church cause the pastor of their new church is a fresh man, and their fine boys there. That’s it, no other reason.

There was a day in church when we sat discussing on how to move the church forward and how to get the attention of the youths and I remember thinking if our President was driving a G-wagon to church things won’t be so difficult. If the executives (at least majority) where rocking designers all round, they’d command greater respect. It’s sad, but its true. I told them if we change majority of our teachings to: Financial Prosperity, relationships and marriage, Carriers, How to make money etc. our congregation would double, I mean, who doesn’t want to serve the God that blesses his workers with G-wagon.

We can’t have it both ways. I dare say if Apostle Paul or John the Baptist were to open a church, very few people will attend cause they won’t be interested in the messages. There a lot of churches in Nigeria that don’t joke with God’s word, that are not all about tithes and offering, but these are the churches that go unnoticed, they’re usually not the cool, trendy ones where you get to meet big-boys and big-girls.
    At the end of the day you just have to decide what suits you more: a sophisticated lie or a simple truth.

• Toyin

December 13, 2016 at 6:18 am

Well said. Please see my previous post.

• Hector

December 13, 2016 at 6:34 am

Toyin. The glory cloud of God that He gave to the children of Israel did not rest at just one spot. It kept moving. Every time David went out to battle, he enquired of God and God gave him a different instruction. Even Jesus, when He was speaking to the woman at the well told her that your forefathers used to worship in temples and argue about Jerusalem and Samaria but that God is seeking worshippers that will worship Him in spirit and truth. This is the basis for my statement that said God is dynamic. The way and manner in which He touched lives yesterday will not be the same today. I said that what does not change about God are His laws… He can choose to touch through the most unconventional means. Peter saw a vision of animals that he called unclean and was chastised by God not to call what He had created unclean. Being led of the spirit is the only guarantee to know how He chooses to move. Comedy in church could have its place if so ordained by God. That is my point.

• Anon Today

December 13, 2016 at 10:43 am

@LemmeRant, it’s true that the congregation is part of the problem but most of the responsibilities rest on the shoulders of the churches and those who run them. The church should not prioritise that sort of entertainment because that is what the people want; rather, the people should desire less of such carnal, blasphemous entertainment because that is not what the church wants. God does not bend, He doesn’t repent, cannot repent. But man must repent and abide by God’s precepts if he wants to worship Him. We all know that the church of 21st century cannot be exactly same with that of the 1st century but the changes should not include bringing a secular comedian to stand on the altar make comments that may impugn the gospel.
      The church can entertain without subjecting what is sacred to ridicule. Some pastors are funny, some drama groups really entertain, etc. And they don’t appear worldly or disrespectful to the church. You can go to a robbers house where he displayed all his tools because you want to convert him. But you don’t encourage him, after the the conversion, to bring his tools along to church because that’s what he wants.
      If you have a calling you should abide by the manual. If you deviate in order to conform to the world you would probably have more questions to answer than the world would.
      At the gate of some MFM branches there are billboards with pictures and instructions on how not to dress before passing that gate. They make it clear they don’t want to negotiate on that. And that same MFM has more members than most of the so-called trendy churches. The G.O preaches repentance and deliverance mostly but the members are stuck. Deeper Life is another example. So, there are many Christians in Nigeria who do not subscribe to messages of prosperity as the sole focus of the church. Such Christians want to be successful as well. They pray about success and prosperity, and they do succeed.

• mz_danielz

December 14, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I’m not sure I agree. While youths want a trendy church, the USP of the church (unique selling point) is the fact that it is a place where people meet with God and have their spiritual needs met. If this happens and you are entertained in the process, fine. The truth is, if all a church does is entertain, they will spend a lot entertaining but if the church meets spiritual needs, people will come and stay. And it doesn’t have to be one or the other, we can strike a balance; be trendy and still be spiritual. God himself is creative and colorful.

We should not be like Ephraim who God described as a cake not turned. We need balance. Prosper, be in health, even as our souls also prosper.

27. Mo'Diva

December 13, 2016 at 9:41 am

Oh my pastor! He once said something concerning comedy and that was, “whatever God says is not taken with levity, God doesn’t say a mere say. His words comes with power” He said let there be light and so it was. God doesn’t joke with words. He doesn’t say oh this one is for joke oo, just to make you laugh, No! As xtians our words are supposed to be backed up with power, whatever utterances should have grounding effect. Now imagine if our tongues are seasoned with power, should we still talk carefreely???? NO!

28. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

December 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

It wasn’t the feel good message that got me saved, it was the fire and brimestone message that did it. That said I was at a dinner the other day and the comedian was telling church jokes, in a secular gathering. honestly to me it was not funny one bit. Using church and it activities as a joke to me shows signs of lack of creativity and respect for what is holy. That said I have seen night vigils of some churches that invite comedians that are questionable to perform. I ask my self must you hold a night vigil if that is what it is about. Night vigils are for prayers and supplications not a time to have fun. Good laughter is good once in a while but the church should not be turned to a circus.

29. peter

December 13, 2016 at 11:33 am

30. Yy

December 13, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I totally agree with what pastor Mike is saying. The church is swiftly drifting from the command of God ”Go, preach and win souls” May God help us all amen

31. Oncolor

December 13, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Religion itself is a scam. At least the comedians are making a legitimate living, can’t say the same for you.

• Oyinade

December 29, 2016 at 11:38 am

My dear, God loves you. I honestly believe that God will reveal His truth to you. Please come back and testify, when you understand the truth.

32. Kenniebaba

December 14, 2016 at 10:33 am

GOD KNOWS NO JOKE, THOUGH I AM A COMEDIAN, ON A DAILY BASIS I PRAY TO GOD FOR GUIDANCE BECAUSE I AM NOT PERFECT. I ACCEPT OFFERS TO PERFORM IN THE CHURCH MANY TIMES BUT I WATCH OUT WHAT COMES OUT OF MY MOUTH IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD.
    I SUBSCRIBED TO WHAT EVANGELIST BAMILOYE HAS BEEN ABLE TO SHARE, IT’S THE GOSPEL TRUTH AND IT”S NOT BY FORCE, FOR THOSE WHO OPPOSED IT BASED ON THEIR OWN BELIEVE OR THE WAY THEY UNDERSTAND THE SCRIPTURES. LET THEM KNOW THIS SAME GOD MADE THEM WHAT THEY ARE TODAY, LET THEM REMEMBER HOW HUMBLE THEY WERE WHEN THEY WERE SEEKING THE GOODNESS EYES OF THE LORD TO MAKE IT TO LIMELIGHT. MAY ALMIGHTY FORGIVE US ALL. WHO DO WE SERVE? PASTORS, FANS,MONEY OR STARDOM?

33. newbie

December 14, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Hey missy…..can I just say that I always pay attention to your posts. I feel like I can always count on you to articulate a balanced view to pretty much anything. Keep it up.

• newbie

December 14, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Oops that was for Mz Socially Awks?

34. Moxie

December 14, 2016 at 10:14 pm

To this I say SELAH. The bible preaches sobriety. No we want to laugh in Church and treat the sacred like a normal thing. SELAH

35. Chiomah

December 16, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Cracking jokes is ok but it’s the kind of jokes that are the problem! I watched experience and I was very uneasy in my spirit as the first comedian “performed” … How can you joke about the Holy Spirit.? I’m not against making people laugh but something’s should be off limits … Haba! My spirit was vexed with that particular segment of the Experience and if you noticed some of the pastors looked a bit uncomfortable even though they laughed. I pray that going forward Christian comedians learn what they can joke about and what they can not joke about. Some comics almost make mockery of our faith and it’s very sad. Mik Bamiloye ??

36. Oyegbade Tunde Isaac

December 16, 2016 at 2:41 pm

May God help us all and have mercy on us all…

..2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. 3 Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. 4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. :-James 3:2-6

37. Okanlawon Abayomi

December 22, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Thanks to the Holy Ghost who has convicted the church of this evil by causing the required chain reaction through this medium. May this conviction deepens more until the entire Body of Christ is purged of this plague in Jesus name.

38. Jeremiah

January 3, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Feeding Sheep or Amusing Goats?
    Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    (1834-1892)

An evil is in the professed camp of the Lord, so gross in its impudence, that the most shortsighted can hardly fail to notice it during the past few years. It has developed at an abnormal rate, even for evil. It has worked like leaven until the whole lump ferments. The devil has seldom done a cleverer thing than hinting to the church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the people, with a view to winning them.