News

“I just put my hands on her neck to scare her, but she stopped breathing,” says Man who allegedly Killed his Girlfriend

BellaNaija.com

The deceased, Okonikhere Joy

The deceased, Okonikhere Joy

A man who allegedly killed his girlfriend in a scuffle in the Orile area of Lagos state has told the police that he only put his hand on her neck to scare her.

“I just put my hands on her neck to scare her, but she stopped breathing,” he was quoted as saying.

The deceased, Joy Okonikhere, a 27-year-old graduate of Computer Science from Ambrose Alli University, and her boyfriend reportedly had a quarrel at the hotel where they were lodged on the night of December 4th.

Hotel workers discovered the lifeless body, and quickly alerted the police. A manhunt was launched as the boyfriend was nowhere to be found.

The workers recalled that there was a scuffle between the duo the night before.

PUNCH reports that the boyfriend and one other suspect have been arrested by the police. The report stated that the police obtained a CCTV video showing the suspect leaving the hotel.

A police source told PUNCH that a CCTV showed the suspect leaving the hotel.

One of the deceased’s friends, May Ebute, said, “I just spoke with her brother and he confirmed the news. The murderer is presently cooling off in a police cell. I wish l could find the words to express the anger l am feeling right now.”

The deceased was said to have graduated in 2014 and came to Lagos to look for a job.

The deceased’s father, Friday Okonikhere said:

I have never heard of the boy before. I think they must have met in Lagos. The police said they had acquired a CCTV footage that showed the perpetrator of the crime. But they have not shown it to me.

She told me she was working in Lagos. Joy came to Lagos in search of a job. Her mother died four years ago. My daughter’s life is like a total waste now. At the moment when her life would have started becoming a glory, she was wasted.

I feel very bitter and angry. I am looking at myself as a failure right now because I don’t know what I could have done to prevent my first daughter from being killed in such a way. I have been told there is going to be an autopsy soon. Once the autopsy is done, hopefully they would release the body to us.

The report was confirmed by the Lagos Police Public Relations Officer SP Dolapo Badmos.

1. Blueberry

December 10, 2016 at 7:53 am

What a silly excuse! You put your hands on her neck to scare her. Why would you want to scare her anyway? Then you will blame the devil for that!

2. EC

December 10, 2016 at 8:15 am

Jail him! You have removed this woman from this earth. Let him rot. Men cannot keep doing this

3. vora

December 10, 2016 at 8:29 am

My dear how can u say “men cannot keep doing this”,women re equally guilty..domestic voilence is wrong simple and short.RIP joy wat a painful death

4. Cee

December 10, 2016 at 8:52 am

You scared her alright, you scared the life out of her.

5. John

December 10, 2016 at 9:25 am

No problem, bros. Government will just put a noose round your neck ‘to scare you’.

6. Joke

December 10, 2016 at 9:27 am

In fact he didn’t even touch her. Murderer oshi.

7. bunmi1

December 10, 2016 at 9:51 am

Oga you didn’t put your hand on her neck to scare her but you strangled her!
    Ladies/Guys once you notice some sorts of violence in your relationship, please quit before it gets out of hand.

8. Spunky

December 10, 2016 at 10:05 am

Ÿou just put your hands on her neck to scare her but she stopped breathing. Hmmmmm! Tell us more…

9. Marian

December 10, 2016 at 10:31 am

I actually believe in his mind he thought he was just going to scare her. What he didn’t know was it really only takes a few second of his scare tactic to stop blood flow to her brain. It is just so sad.
    There is no excuse for you to choke someone unless it’s a mutual agreement or your life is at risk.
    Just walk away people!! Walk away!!!

• o

December 10, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Mutual agreement????? Who would agree to being strangled??

• Marian

December 10, 2016 at 9:48 pm

I said choke not strangled. Some people actually like to be choked during sex. People even pay for stuff like that.

10. Miss Fine

December 10, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Unless it’s a mutual agreement? Are you serious?!

11. Njoku Ngozi

December 11, 2016 at 2:13 pm

If actually he put his hand on her to scare her & she stopped breathing then why run away instead of asking for help immediateky . She would have been rushed to d hospital not daring to work away & abandon d lifeless body of someone u came to enjoy with