News

No, I’m not an Atheist and I believe Religion is very Important – Mark Zuckerberg

BellaNaija.com

Mark Zuckerberg

If you follow Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg on the social networking platform, you’d have noticed that he replies to comments made on any of his posts himself.

Yesterday was no different. After he posted his Christmas message to his followers, some of them began to ask questions bordering on faith and family.

Zuckerberg had posted:

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah from Priscilla, Max, Beast and me!

Seeing the moments of joy and family shared on Facebook today is one of my favorite things about our community.

I hope you’re surrounded by friends and loved ones, and that you have a chance to reflect on all the meaningful things in your life.

May the light of your friendships continue to brighten your life and our entire world.

On whether he is an atheist, Zuckerberg replied: “No. I was raised Jewish and then I went through a period where I questioned things, but now I believe religion is very important.”

See the other comments below:

Prior to this statement, Zuckerberg was believed to have identified as an atheist.

1. ope

December 26, 2016 at 10:16 am

wow! I am so surprised.

• EE

December 26, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Why? Shockingly religion, Buddhism especially is big in Silicon valley. Atheists still remain a sliver of mankind, even smaller when you remove agnostics from their banner.

• Ian Cooper

December 26, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Pretty sad.

• Secular1

December 26, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Really? I’d consider the 1.2 billion atheists on planet Earth), a significant piece of the 7.2 billion pie.

• Nv

December 26, 2016 at 9:36 pm

@Ian Cooper, sad that there is a small % of atheist or that Buddhism is quite popular?

2. Moniker

December 26, 2016 at 10:46 am

I love the part he replied ‘you are not friends with Jesus on Facebook’

3. Ent

December 26, 2016 at 11:37 am

Can Mark share those questions with Nigerians? I’ll like to know

4. nnenne

December 26, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Love you and all that you have achieved in such a short time on earth and yet remain very humble! !!!

5. flourish

December 26, 2016 at 2:14 pm

who is Beast in the family?

• Mz Socially Awkward.....

December 26, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Very likely to be a pet and probably canine.

• adele

December 26, 2016 at 2:54 pm

their dog

6. LemmeRant

December 26, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Starting to sound like a politician.

You don’t have to appeal to everyone. Everybody doesn’t have to like you.

7. Ian Cooper

December 26, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Maybe Zuckerberg is considering a run for president. After all, if you want to be president, you have to believe in fairies and magic.

• Maybe he does believe in God/supernatural being and is not saying it to appeal to people. Sometimes atheist also sound like religious fanatics when they criticize someone for not being atheist. It’s okay if you do or don’t believe in God as far as you have critically considered your path. Mark Zuckerburg seems like he questioned his faith and came to the conclusion that “religion is very important”. He didn’t have to bash anyone for their non-religious views.

• JustSayingHiToMrCooper

December 26, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Ah Mr Cooper, welcome o. Do you have a Nigerian wife or are you looking for one? (asking for a friend).

• aj

December 26, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Haha!

8. matt

December 26, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I don’t get my news from a Nigerian online magazine. LOL

9. Dilip kumar

December 26, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Hi mak …….
    HAPPY Krismas…..
    Enjoy you &your family. ..

10. Secular1

December 26, 2016 at 7:41 pm

“I believe religion is very important”. Sure, but that doesn’t make one religious, or one not an atheist. Maybe Mark’s not educated in the term, or in theology. He’s stated in the past that he doesn’t believe in any gods.
    Perhaps he’s just being careful given that it was Christmas, and we live in a world with mostly theists, and religion gets undue respect.

11. Nv

December 26, 2016 at 9:37 pm

12. Me!

December 26, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Sad how some people may have become atheists because they thought he was an atheist and lost their lives. Yet he has retraced his steps.

Better to believe and be a fool in the afterlife if there is no God, than to not believe now and lose your soul in the afterlife.

13. Wayne Smith

December 27, 2016 at 5:12 am

I knew he was a dumbass. He stole the idea for facebook from a pair of Uni jocks so its no surprise he believes in magic.

14. molarah

December 27, 2016 at 10:30 am

Lol. BellaNaija sure knows the topic to bring all the atheists out of their woodwork, and on a religious celebration day at that.

This is what overt political correctness and herd thinking will do to our society. Why is it really a cause for anyone’s headache what Mark Zuckerberg chooses to believe (or not believe)? Tim Cook identified as a homosexual and Steve Jobs practiced Buddhism, but this did not stop and has not stopped folks from other religions/sexual orientations from purchasing Apple products. But apparently some folks don’t understand such liberties must also apply the other way round. Trying to force MZ to admit to atheism; same mindset that made them call for boycott of Chick Fil-A cause their owners subscribe to the traditional view of marriage. Its really nauseating and childish behaviour.

15. Susan

December 27, 2016 at 3:07 pm

What’s going on with the comment section? ????. New faces and names

16. Aso Oke

December 27, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I wish everyone will allow themselves to go through the period of questioning one’s faith rather than follow blindly. If you have never questioned your faith then your faith has never been tested. If we all questioned our faiths and religion, we wouldn’t have this much religious violence.

17. Nyami

December 27, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I myself had just been through a two year spell where after searching for some answers I ended up becoming atheist. Unfortunately I couldn’t wipe away from my memory all that I had seen of God’s hand in my life and that of my family. I eventually longed for the fullfillment and peace I had known in my life all the previous years of living as a believer and I decided to be a fool in the eyes of human beings( who don’t in anycase add value to my life) and live a fulfilling life than claim to be intelleligent and yet am a rambling lunatic who rages endlessly against a God I claim to not exist.

18. Ndidi

January 2, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Every time I see his picture, I keep wondering what I would do if I had all that money……..