News

Police Commissioner Says Paying for Bail is as a Result of Impatience

BellaNaija.com

Peace Ibekwe-Abdallah

CP Peace Ibekwe-Abdallah

The Commissioner of Police in Ebonyi, Peace Ibekwe-Abdallah, says paying for bail is caused by impatience as nobody wants to go through the normal legal process.

Ibekwe-Abdallah made the remark during inauguration of Change Begins with Me campaign and the police Public Complaints Rapid Response Unit in Abakaliki on Thursday.

She said, however, that bail was not being given at gunpoint.

According to her, money collected by officers when bailing a suspect forms most of the complaints received by the police.

“People complain that since bail is free, police still collect money before releasing suspects, but I ask whether they were forced to give money at gunpoint. The cause of payment for bail is impatience as nobody wants to go through the normal legal process to get bail. Individuals keep complaining about this development and in most cases when the law takes its course, the same people would beg for justice to be tempered with mercy,” she said.

The commissioner warned her officers and citizens of the state against indulging in corrupt practices and other vices, noting that there must be consequences for wrong steps taken against the law.

“The command frowns against corrupt practices as there will be no mercy for anyone found guilty of giving, receiving of bribes or any other form of gratification. Individuals who have complaints against our officers should be sure of the facts they present because it has been discovered that people use complaints to intimidate others”, she said.

The Senior Special Assistant to Governor David Umahi on Internal Security, Dr. Kenneth Ugballa, commended the synergy between the police and the state government, to achieve peace.

“My office would continue to liaise with the state police command to ensure that security of lives and property is ensured during and after the yuletide,” he said.

1. esther

December 16, 2016 at 11:35 am

As in really!!!

2. Sultana

December 16, 2016 at 11:55 am

Why is she lying??? I work with law related organizations and I know what I go through to secure bail even in court. I have clients in kirikiri because they have refused to grease the hands of court registrars AND most especially police prosecutors.

I need to do an expose on this but don’t know how to go about it. It’s disgusting and cuts accross every COURT! wither Nigeria???

Lemme not start with police bail!! Disgusting!!!

• tunmi

December 16, 2016 at 2:58 pm

This is Ebonyi state. Not Lagos

• tunmi

December 16, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Please do that expose. Create a blog to do it in the event other blogs are paid not to post it. Use twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Then send it to news outlets and the specific offices

3. o

December 16, 2016 at 11:59 am

What is the normal legal process ma’am?? Where someone will be purposely delayed all in the name of legal process just because he/she refused to pay…. Abeg leave story

4. Ronke

December 16, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Nobody has the patience? Seriously, I don’t understand why we Nigerians can’t be honest with ourselves. Please me, go to Kirikiri prison and ask over half their inmates why they are there. Most of the inmates are there because they committed petty crimes and could not pay bail. Tell me how impatience is being in prison for years without a court hearing.

5. tunmi

December 16, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I really wish she had explained more about how to go about getting bail in her state and how to report officers who are collecting the illegal bail money.

Ebonyi state not Lagos.

6. Frank teacher

December 16, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Seeing her for the first time. I think she’s gorgeous, and she’s all the way up there

7. Ada

December 17, 2016 at 12:37 am

Hi. Esther.
    Why have you chosen to belittle yourself and beg like a nobody? Why have you chosen this path of shame and disgust? You are almost on every post, this means that you are rich enough to purchase unlimited data. Girl pick your self up and get a life! Am a 24 year old single mother and my daughter is six years old. I have single handledly paid her bills from her time of birth till now, i do every thing possible including working overtime. I do not have a degree to get a proper job but am working towards that. Begging should be the answer to your problems.