Music

Use Your Songs to Address the Nation Positively – Gospel Singer Frank Edwards tells Secular Artistes

BellaNaija.com

Frank Edwards

Gospel singer/producer, Frank Edwards has called on secular artistes to use their music to “address a nation positively”.

Frank made the remark via a series of Tweets on Monday.

“Remember that you will have children or already have. Will you actually let them listen and do all the things you said in that song?” the “You too dey bless me” singer quizzed.

See the tweets below:

1. Bennie

December 28, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Most make music solely for the gain and not to pass any useful message. Thumbs up for the real music makers, either secular or gospel.

2. Spunky

December 28, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I know. Think shake your bum bum, think dance…it’s the way most of us are wired…keep doing you bro.

3. Mo'Diva

December 28, 2016 at 2:00 pm

That’s my edwards

4. Cocoa

December 28, 2016 at 3:20 pm

This thing called music is killing a lot of souls. Nigerian music especially. Great catchy beats then they add lustful, sinful lyrics and we get up and dance (worship) to that????
    I’m so thankful to God for finally this year 2016 I got so close to Him, my spirit now has a natural DISGUST for unGodly music.
    So if you see me at your wedding and I’m sitting down…don’t be offended..I’m not try in to be a party pooper….It’s just that my prioties have changed and I can’t for the sake of worldly pleasures displease my God.
    There even a song that says ” sister Kate let us fornicate” how do you get up and dance to that if Satan has not gotten a hold of your legs and your heart???
    PANA ( with how great the beat is) starts of saying “for you I go go church o” next thing ” you say you like cassava.,,I get big cassava….you say you like wahahla…”

PLEASE LETS WAKE UP. THE devil IS A STRATEGIC FOOL. What you dance to and what uplifts your Spirit….is what you are WORSHIPING.
    Seek God’s strength and He will help you…I struggled with this for years even…But I kept telling God I wanted to be free…and praise God..what once excited me…DISGUSTS ME now!!! 🙂

• #Proudnigerian

December 28, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I just listen to some songs and I don’t get it? at my wedding I wish I could play just Christian songs or should I say I would love to play only Christian songs??

• Cindy

December 28, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Sorry I’m asking o, but how come you know these lyrics?

• Cocoa

December 28, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Unfortunately I can’t control what is played when I’m in public( and I dont mean clubs) so I hear the lyrics of all these songs. There is no escape..there are many songs I wish I could unhear looool

5. Nkechi

December 28, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Keep.it up my brother. Some people’s great grandchildren will be ashamed of them Wethersfield they have passed on or not.

6. seyi

December 28, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Honestly some lyrics are troubling o. Lil kesh’s lyrics trouble me the most these days.. *sigh*

7. Ven

December 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Shake your bumb*m is not wrong at all. It really saddens me to see that people think music should be done one way. Music is an Art. Art is supposed to come naturally. This kind of Christianity that condemns a person’s sexuality that was created by the same God this people claim to serve.
    Art is not supposed to be contained. Our sexuality has become something of secret.. Nobody calls him out for being a Gospel artist because his music comes fro! a place of holiness which I’m not against.. But the Shake ya bum*bum is shamed because our sexuality is involved..
    Do you know that art is expressed I’m different forms? And art is never really supposed to inspire the creator of that art more than the audience? Must I sing Heal the world if I’m inspired by How She Moves? People should become what they are not to inspire a nation and loose themselves?
    The video vixens that come on our screen to shake their bumb*um, do you know what that art of moving their body means to them? I am not against music that promotes the nation I’m that order, and I am not also against music that promotes sexuality. Please, do what You really love. Don’t be a Frank Edwards if your style is an M.J or a Lara George if your style is a Rihanna. Your talent is not meant to heal a nation or inspire good if it doesn’t come naturally. It is Your Style!!! Nobody else’s!!!

• abby

December 28, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Stop deceiving yourself…nobody is condemning anybody, just saying it As it! do something..take a sheet of paper write down the lyrics of some these meaningless obscene songs..now imagine your6year old singing it passionately..the songs sound okay till u hear a child sing them.

• Cocoa

December 28, 2016 at 11:24 pm

My brother or sister,
      We are not trying to condemn anyone…I truely wish you could see the place of LOVE these warnings are coming from.
      There is a common theme in all that you’ve listed and herein lies the issue…” the Art, the video vixens, the shake your bumbum, the inspired by the way she moves” all these points are channelled at the same unGodly thing….LUST.
      That issue is not trying to make everyone the same artist…their is beauty in variety that is why God Himself didnt any two alike..,.
      Let me give you an example..if Wizkids ‘ojuelegba’ or ‘mummy mi’ or’Ayo” comes on…you will see e on the dance floor bus to my moves…..But if “I want your body sleeping in my bed” by the same Wizkid comes right after that..begs believe I will plant my be him on a chair. Last I checked wiz is not a gospel artist….yet he can still express his art with songs like Ojuelegba.
      Lets not lie to ourselves…WE WERE MADE FOR GOD AND FOR HIS PLEASURE…if your lyrics in any way contradict my Bible you have lost me. …But of course To each his own. X

• Idomagirl

December 29, 2016 at 6:19 am

How is shouting “your bum-bum” repeatedly art?
      Even if you aren’t viewing this from a Christian POV, 99% of these song lyrics are trash & that’s a fact.

• Lender Marie Sellers

December 29, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Any thing got u doing or saying that’s not of God ,is the devil why do u want to do wat the devil say r do

8. Ven

December 28, 2016 at 5:31 pm

*In that order. Excuse the others… Lol

9. Chydee

December 29, 2016 at 4:31 am

Just yesterday I was out having lunch with my sister and friends at one of these fast food joints. They kept playing these music videos and then a particular music video started showing with barely clothed women all over the place. The family facing the TV directly was a mom and her 3kids with the youngest being about 3 and the oldest not more than 7. All the woman could tell her kids was, ‘don’t watch, don’t watch,’ hoping they won’t.
    Like someone rightly pointed out,you can control PG at home, but not outside. There are just too many lewd lyrics and images everywhere

• Idomagirl

December 29, 2016 at 6:13 am

That thing bothers me so much.
      I remember one day I was at a boutique, it was around 2 in the afternoon on a saturday and Soundcity was showing the uncensored version of Rihanna’s BBHM.
      This is a video that contains so much graphic violence & nudity, too graphic for even me an adult.
      I kept thinking, how many kids at different eateries across the country have been exposed to this filth?
      Isn’t this something that the NBC should be bothered about?

10. Victor Toks

December 29, 2016 at 9:57 am

Nigerian secular musicians are after their pockets and drive by their producers demanding order.Nigerian too are only interested in the sound beat and don’t border to study ,research the lyrics only to dance to meaningless lyrics.It’s secular a bi but Fela Anikulapo,king Sunny Ade,Olando Owo. Baba’Ken Okulolo,Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe,Ebenezer Obey,Oliver De Cowue,I.K Dario,Sonny Okosun,But sing rubbish ,does are Evergreens songs which made Nigeria proud globally.We should not quickly forget the early 90s too,Junior and Pretty,Remedies,Femi Kuti,Bright Chimezie,Daddy showkey,Onyeka Onwenu,Ras Kimonoand Majek Fashek etc Hummmm that was went music made sense!!!
    Nigerian secular musicians and social virus polluted the social and morality of the current generation.God help us!!!

11. Frank Jesse

April 3, 2017 at 10:27 am

I love frank’s song very much, especially “u dey do “

12. Daily Gospel Music

November 21, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Frank Edwards is on point.. The kind of music our youths listen to influences them a lot…..

Please let’s spread positive vibes through our music.
    Thanks.