Events

Church Unusual​ at This Present House

I was wondering what the fuss was on Admiralty Way when I heard a lot of bikes zoom past last Sunday heading to The Dome, This Present House, Freedom Way, Lekki phase 1. In a lot of excitement, I went along and was amazed at the number of bikes and bike riders already there in their full biker’s get up. So many different colors and brand of bikes ranging from Harley Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki (all 400CC and above)!

The energy was palpable and infectious as so many riders were pulling various stunts with their machines! To my surprise, I stumbled on Pastor Tony Rapu on his Suzuki Hayabusa called “Jehu” riding about comfortably.

When I asked how he came to ride bikes, he explained to me that it is one of his passions, motor bike riding…

“I started riding motorbikes in 1975 and in October last year at an event attended by a few bikers, I had taken one of the bikes a Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) for a ride and realized how much I missed riding. There is freedom that comes from riding a bike on the highway” he explained.

“Motor bikers are a sub culture of society and in the past few years there has been an increased number of bikers in Lagos. Motor bikers have a certain energy and outlook to life, they are risk takers who love to be free and unencumbered. The average church doesn’t really understand how they think, but as a rider myself, I do.   The Bible talks about becoming all things to all people… So we decided to have the ‘Bikers Thanksgiving Service’ to pray, talk about responsible riding and generally build a community of bikers.”

He also reiterated on the safety that should be associated with bike riding, asking “Who would go riding a sports bike without a helmet? Similarly, why would anyone embark on the “ride of life” without the helmet of salvation?”

It was astonishing to listen to Senior Pastor, Tony Rapu link an activity as exciting as bike riding to Christianity! Guess what? Another Biker’s Thanksgiving Service will be held soon so keep your ears close to the ground!

See photos from the event below:

1. onye

January 20, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Naija can like to overdo! But still you cannot be whiter than the white man.
    Keep church simple. Enough with the shenanigans!

• oludolapo

January 20, 2017 at 5:12 pm

You’re extremely ignorant.

• Anne

January 20, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Lovely. How nice. Many of them are being shown the love of God

• Shalewa

January 20, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Are you white? Are the white people complaining? Go to church and stop trying to bash people who are not hurting you in anyway

• Shamgar

January 20, 2017 at 9:56 pm

You are just a mumu, ode raised to power 2,are you a biker, have you heard the comments from the bikers communities? How the Thanksgiving Service helped them to kick start their biking year in the presence of God,you are fake guy without a gut, what’s overdo in the church providing the atmosphere for us bikers to offer thanks to God for riding our bikes, and to iterate the fact that safety is of the Lord?
      You are retarded ignoramus, so you think bikes are made for the white man Abi, you are confused, misinformed olodo

2. B.E

January 20, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Amazing initiative!! Why should we keep church simple? Christ hung out with prostitues, tax collectors etc. We as Christian’s should be able to reach out to everyone!

I love this! God bless you PT!!!

• LemmeRant

January 20, 2017 at 5:15 pm

So because Christ hung out with prostitutes, he wasn’t a simple man.

Better understand what simple means.

3. bijouxthisbijouthat

January 20, 2017 at 3:30 pm

LOOOOOLL…Guess this is a sponsored post things…
    It was a time to show off the expensive toys of church members because the scripture quoted to justify this….. someway…

• Shamgar

January 20, 2017 at 10:05 pm

So whats your point? Or because your fingers are scratching you to type some senseless stuff, for your information it’s a Bikers Thanksgiving service.

4. NG

January 20, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I thought i was going to see Okada riders.
    B.E. church was more effective and impactful when things were kept simple.
    The church is fast losing grounds as a result of superficiality at the expense of substances of faith.

But as i type, i wonder if it will ever be possible or even needful to revert to the past, wholesale. For instance, how can the big boys and gals in this church wind down and hob-nob at their own level without such events? Christianity after all is a way of life, which i suppose means even your socials must be Christ-centered right? Therefore, In steps church to help organise even our social lives. Social life must include entertainment which must have some frivolities to be truly that. Sigh!!!

• Call me Kinz

January 20, 2017 at 4:32 pm

While we keep church simple, ISIS is recruiting soldiers of Christ to be modern day killers. Church was never meant to be simple. It was meant to be filled with power. If Church was meant to be simple maybe Christ should have just turned the stone to bread and lounge with the devil….I wonder how simple Church would be.

5. Call me Kinz

January 20, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Whiter than the white man, Shenanigans, expensive toys….just can’t stop laughing.

It’s amazing how Nigerians can’t view things with an open mind. The number one problem of Christianity today is we the Christians. We are so quick to condemn and judge each other. Many are blinded by RELIGION that they miss out small details.

In your mustard seed mind, did it ever occur to you that God never called you to KEEP CHURCH SIMPLE…I don’t serve a simple God. I serve a God who ride’s the storm like a horse.

Be proud of what you have even if it’s a simple bicycle. Pray you reach a level you can stand tall with the rich.

Church is not the building. It’s you and I walking on the street, jogging, running, driving, riding, etc. Be the gospel people hear or a gospel they see. Love wrapped in truth is the gospel everyone needs. There’s room at the cross for everyone. Stop hating

• Nadia

January 20, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I wish I could “love” your comment a million times. God bless you!

6. Eloxie

January 20, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Funny enough, I think only a few of the attendees were actual members of the church and i doubt that it was intended to show off wealth. You don’t need a church program to do that. I believe everyone deserves to hear the gospel , whether their hobbies are expensive or not and whilst you may prefer it delivered simply, for affinity groups such as the bikers to meet people with similar interests and also hear the gospel together was a great idea. When was the last time we took time out to share about Jesus even in the simple way we espouse? Compelling people to come to God is the theme and very often all the Holy Spirit needs is a seed. Plant the seed!!! Sometimes, like the Pharisees and Saduccees frowned at John the Baptist and Jesus’ methods even though they were both led by the Spirit, we end up doing same, being uber religious and failing to see that God may be at work via unfamiliar channels. God help us.

7. Babe

January 20, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I dont want to talk much but my prayer point is: Father lord please give us OLD TIME religion,if it was good for paul and silas then it will be good enough for us

• okey

January 20, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Mind you the old time religion of isiah, jerimiah, Joel and those prophets of old wasn’t good for JESUS, paul. The difference is that the prophets and priests of old ministered the law to only Israel while JESUS, paul and other apostles of his time introduced a new testament for all. If paul were to be in this time he will probably be surfing with some kind of boat clubs just to win some souls.

• Adelaide

January 22, 2017 at 8:27 am

Even the Bible condemns us wishing for the good old days. Besides your email meant to be moving forward not backwards.

8. Dr. N

January 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm

When you are stuck in traffic in Lagos and you hear “Boom”! as a bike zooms past…
    U lose your apprehension of bikes and long to join them
    I guess faith is the same way. U leave the nay-sayers and excuse-givers behind as u zoom into endless possibilities

• Manny

January 20, 2017 at 11:05 pm

I love your analogy Dr, N

9. Babor Egeregor

January 20, 2017 at 6:08 pm

The Jews eagerly anticipated the arrival of the Messiah;but when HE showed up in a mould at variance with their expectations,they missed that kairos moment.While the church is anointing the Eliabs (Saul’s Eldest Son),the Davids’ are shepherding the sheep in wilderness.
    There’s scarcely anything,no matter how noble you engage in ,that would be pleasing to all.Jesus came to redeem the lost;but they crucified HIM–(but if they had known,they won’t have slain the LORD of GLORY).
    I haven’t in recent times experienced such outpouring of palpable joy as emitted by the BIKERS who attended the Thanksgiving.How powerful it was to draw an analogy between the bikers helmet and the helmet of salvation by Dr Rapu.
    Whether you choose to stay with your good old religion or you incline your ears to hearing a proceeding WORD from God—Let’s worship our LORD in spirit and in truth.Let’s be fixated on the mind of Christ,which was what the bikers Thanksgiving undoubtedly epitomized.

10. Bimpe

January 20, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I was also wondering what was going on. Heard that bikers from all over Lagos came for d thanksgiving. Jesus wants everyone to b saved. Thank you for this.

11. Onyinye

January 20, 2017 at 9:31 pm

This is a stupid comment. What does that mean? Is there a recipe for salvation.

12. Onyinye

January 20, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Some ignorant and stupid comments here. How are those the toys of church members get a life were you in church on Sunday evening for an extra service hiss

13. rateusR

January 20, 2017 at 9:49 pm

lets worship God

14. Knowledge Power

January 20, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Simple to the simple, complex to the complex. All things to all men that we may win some is what the Apostle Paul said. I wonder w

15. Knowledge Power

January 20, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Simple to the simple, complex to the complex. All things to all men that we may win some is what the Apostle Paul said. Just hope the “simple commentators” are actually winning “simple people” to the kingdom with their “simple style”. I doubt it!

16. Victor Sylva

January 20, 2017 at 11:28 pm

To those saying this was another way of members to show their wealth…. 90% of the bikers who attended this event DO NOT ATTEND THAT CHURCH… most of them not even Christians.. just simply bikers around Nigeria.. who love to ride… who have lost someone or know someone who has died due to a bike accident yet they are still alive to come together and just thank God for life… Bikers gave their life to Christ that day… You see these guys ride around Lagos… do you pray for them? or Judge them?… all i can say is… Evangelism in 2017 isnt gonna be same as old… time is evolving… adapt to the change and PREACH CHRIST…

17. SG1

January 21, 2017 at 12:08 am

It’s funny, I’ve always desired to be own a power bike, the way it looks the power it wields and yeah, the bahd-guy appeal. I haven’t really taken it seriously for a while because I thought the reputation that came with riders was thuggish – babes, bars and booze. As an aspiring Christian, didn’t sit well with me, so imagine my surprise seeing such an outreach to this same community and the joy and togetherness!!! God will continue to give us strategies for our time to be all things to all men, God bless the organizers of this!! Now to go find my GSX-R ??

• Bobosteke

January 22, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Mon frere dan la Seigneur, pls lemme know when you do. I would gladly be your pillion until I can afford mine. Sometimes, I just park the car and take okada just to imitate the feeling of being on a power bike. Horses are lovely too…. But bikes…..Ah…. the Lord is my Shepherd; He knows what I want.

18. Uchenna

January 21, 2017 at 6:49 am

Who says that effective soul winning strategies rob the church of her simplicity? The church should be simple just like the Gospel of Christ is. I agree. What then is this simplicity being advocated? Christ offers us the best example. Against the complexities of the pharisees and sadducees, Christ brought the Gospel to all by His simple approach of interacting with all, without rejecting or forbidding access to him by anyone, while at the same time pointing everyone to the Father. Apostle Paul practised the same simplicity by becoming all things to all men so that he could win a few. He was most unconventional in his approach to spreading the Gospel and interacted admirably with varied audience at various times. He was simply an effective soul winner. Till date, Apostle Paul’s simplicity is still winning many to the Gospel of Christ.

In effect, simplicity of the Gospel and of the church should rather drive us towards allowing the Holy Spirit inspire us into employing simple approaches to evangelism such as was practised in this special bikers thanksgiving service. More so, this simplicity we advocate should dwell in us as believers. We complicate the Gospel when we devise assumptions and practices that make Christ and His church inaccessible to the world. This does not mean handing over the church to worldliness, but drawing men and women to salvation after the simple and accessible pattern of Christ. We should not always assume to be wrong whatever others have been inspired to do which we could not do because we never had the privilege of such inspiration or revelation. A mind easily given to condemnation is most probably a very complex mind (I mean no offence). The mind of Christ was simple and that simplicity enabled it to humbly relate with all. That’s the mind expected of us as shown in Philippians 2:5-11..

In sum, while I may not know Pastor Tony Rapu and the team that put together this admirably simple, albeit inspired approach to evangelism, I pray that God will bless them and keep inspiring them the more. This and many more inspired approaches (including the traditional approaches some tag old time religion) are part of what the church needs to fulfil the mandate of reconciling the world to God as per 2Corinthians 5:19-21. Shalom!

19. Mimi

January 22, 2017 at 12:50 pm

I’m not a biker but I was excited at the idea of the program. I was in lekki that day and heard Bikers zooming to Church and I thought it was better than that they ended up on a beach somewhere with babes and booze. Happened to know a Lady Biker who worships in an orthodox church but attended the program. She said it was really great and she enjoyed the fellowship and the Word. We do need more of this type of unusual outreach events.

20. Olufemi

January 1, 2018 at 5:47 pm

I add my comment almost a year after someone belled the cat! I got here by happenstance whilst reading up on Pastor “Tee Rap” 61st birthday. The Bikers Thanksgiving is all about reaching out to a greatly misunderstood and grossly neglected but vibrant free spirits who live and let live like Christ would. Imagine if Yusuf had been there responsible riding had a chance to be heard!! #TeeRapPressOn

21. Biker chic

January 16, 2018 at 5:24 pm

My 250cc bike was also there and will be there again this year. Be there and fellowship with us on the 27th of January 2018. .. and nope, it isn’t my church