News

Nana Akufo-Addo Sworn in as Ghana’s President

BellaNaija.com

President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana

Nana Akufo-Addo has been sworn in as Ghana’s new president  at a ceremony applauded for its easy transition of power.

In a speech as he took office, the President said “I will not let the good people of Ghana down.”

“I pledge to do my best to move this country to higher level of development; I will not let the good people of Ghana down. We should move on to deepen our democracy.”

The 72-year-old president also promised to work with Ghana’s neighbours “to ensure stability on the African continent.”

The new president, a lawyer who served as Ghana’s foreign minister in 2008, vowed to build on the West African country’s economic success.

Akufo-Addo got 53.85 per cent of the votes in Ghana’s September election to defeat incumbent John Mahama who got 44 per cent of the votes.

Report says the peaceful transfer of power from ex-president Mahama was drawing special attention.

Fourteen African heads of state including Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari and Kenyan president, Uhuru Kenyatta attended the ceremony in Accra.

1. Daisy

January 7, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Yaaaaay my new President!!!! ?????

2. Amaki

January 7, 2017 at 7:58 pm

God, thank you for teaching Mahama and the NDC a big lesson. Mahama rigged the election in 2012. Nana was so hurt but God just wanted Nana to be patient and wait for HIS time. Now see as God has vindicated Nana so beautifully! Nana won with over 1 million votes. Thank you Jehovah.
    The only thing is that Mahama has stolen so much money and plunged Ghana into so much debt. I fear that Nana will have a very hard turning the economy around. I know , however, that the hand of God is on Nana because he came to power through honest means. Ghanaians suffered under Mahama because he did not come to power through honest means so God didn’t bless his work. I know God will bless Nana’s work in Jesus name AMEN! Nana, eshi rado rado rado! God bless you, my president. The battle is the Lord’s.

3. Amaka

January 7, 2017 at 9:54 pm

People really like Nana. I am happy for him. My Ghanaian hair dresser was so excited. I had to ask her about him.

4. KayKay

January 7, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Yassss! Out with the old and in with the new! JM bye bye oo! You’ve stolen enough! Only you how many scandals? Woyome, SADA, Hope City, NHIS, Montie Boys, Dumsor, too many to count. Abeg dey go jor! Let correct people come. NPP under Kuffuor made Ghana so nice and lovely with Youth Employment, School Feeding Program, Free Healthcare (NHIS) and so on. We know Nana Addo will do even more! Nana All The Freaking Way!! We support you sir.

5. mouth mouth

January 8, 2017 at 12:04 am

NANA WILL TAKE GHANA TO THE PROMISE LAND. VERY HUMBLE PRESIDENT

6. Miss Fine

January 8, 2017 at 7:01 am

He will be one of the great presidents in Ghana! President Nana Akufo-Addo Akwaaba!

7. Nana Frema