News

Toddler Dies of HIV after her Mother Dropped her at an Orphanage to Move in with Fourth Lover

BellaNaija.com

Blessing Ochonogor

A 34-year-old man, Paul Jubril, an Edo state indigene, has accused his girlfriend, Blessing Ochonogor, 28, of killing their 2-year old daughter.

Jubril, who returned from prison in January 2017, said that he discovered that Blessing, a Benue state indigene, had fled their apartment on Jaja Street, in the Kubwa area of Abuja, with their two kids. He said she moved into the house of another man.

Speaking to Sun at the police station, Paul said,

“I went to Suleja prison. When I came back in January 2017, I couldn’t find my wife and two kids. It was later I heard that my daughter Ifeoma was at an orphanage home at Arab Road, Kubwa Abuja. I remember we had a misunderstanding in 2015 but I didn’t know she would pack out of the house with our two children, Peter who is seven years old and Ifeoma who is two years and three months.”

According to the police, Blessing had two children for two other men before moving in with Paul. Police findings also revealed that she took 2-year old Ifeoma to an orphanage home where she lied to them that the baby’s parents had died. After dropping the baby at the orphanage, she was said to have moved in with another of her suitors.

Ifeoma fell sick not long after she was dropped at the orphanage. Efforts by the orphanage to treat the baby led to the discovery that she had been infected with HIV.

This prompted officials to search for the woman who brought the baby. When the baby was eventually returned to her, it was almost too late as she died soon after.

Paul said he reported the case at the police station upon discovery that his child was diagnosed of HIV.

“I have to report the case at Kubwa phase 4 police station Abuja. I didn’t believe that my child could die of HIV. When I was going to prison in December 2016, my child was in good health. I don’t know why my child will die of HIV. I don’t have HIV, likewise, my seven years old son, Peter Smith. I want to know the cause of death of my child. My child is now at the mortuary at Kubwa General Hospital. Before I bury my child, I am still insisting to know what killed her. It is my girlfriend who is responsible for the death of my child,” the angry father lamented.

In her own account, Blessing told Sun that she was not legally married to Paul, adding, “myself and Paul Jubril merely had boyfriend and girlfriend relationship. Suddenly, I discovered I have got two children for him.”

While justifying why she had to move out of Paul’s home, she said:

Whenever I have a quarrel with my boyfriend, he used to beat me to a state of coma. When I couldn’t bear it anymore, I have to pack out from the house to sleep in an uncompleted building for three days.

When I could not bear it, I took my child Ifeoma to the orphanage home at Arab Road, Kubwa Abuja. I deceived them that the parents of the child are dead. It’s true, I didn’t go there to check my child, and I went only once. Later, I went to marry another man.

Suddenly, the orphanage home called me that the child I brought to them was ill. I refused to go there initially but later I went and took the child to Gwarinpa General Hospital and they diagnosed her of HIV and we were referred to the National Hospital but in the process the baby died on December 2016.

I never killed my child. It was frustration that prompted me to take the child to orphanage home. My Father and Mother are not living together. There is nobody I can handover my child to when I was in predicament. Since I am no longer with my boyfriend, he has threatened to kill me. Since the death of my child, my boyfriend has been accusing me of killing our child with HIV.

It is not possible to kill my own daughter. When life is so difficult for me, I have to marry another man. My boyfriend didn’t give us rest of mind since he came back from prison. My boyfriend has frustrated my life and I am not going back to his house again.

1. Prince Charming

January 28, 2017 at 9:36 am

Anybody can decide to abdicate their responsibility and be irresponsible. Would I be fair to lump all Nigerian women into one basket because of the action of this heartless, irresponsible Nigerian woman? @A Real Nigerian, Hadiza and Nahum, you all should receive sense IJN.

• #Proudnigerian

January 28, 2017 at 12:38 pm

The heart of ‘man’ is desperately wicked Irrespective of gender .May God keep us all.

• LemmeRant

January 28, 2017 at 3:04 pm

if that phrase read “the heart of woman is……” Our voltrons would have decried the bible as being misogynistic.

Yup I’m trolling.

• A Real Nigerian

January 28, 2017 at 3:48 pm

And you’re a pretty lame troll.

2. Mama

January 28, 2017 at 10:23 am

This story does not make any sense!!! Does the mother of the child have HIV??? She’s from Benue, he’s from Edo why is their daughter called Ifeoma? Did the child get infected with HIV at the orphanage???
    May her Siul rest in peace!!!

• sun

January 28, 2017 at 10:46 am

Ochonogor na even Delta name. too many things wrong with the story. makes no sense at all

• Nakoms

January 28, 2017 at 5:03 pm

There are ibori speaking tribes in edoho state.

• Nakoms

January 28, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Ibo speaking tribes in edo state

3. funmilola

January 28, 2017 at 10:42 am

*suddenly, I discovered I have got two children for him*
    naso, you were in trance abi when you were gbenshing each other…mtchew

• Dr. N

January 28, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Meeen…U see that thing?
      It was the “suddenly” that got my attention. Maybe d kids are twins

4. MadamYe...

January 28, 2017 at 10:42 am

How did this child contract HIV???

The poor Precious child….My heart….

5. Joke

January 28, 2017 at 12:00 pm

This world sha. Some people are begging for, doing IVF, paying ridiculous fees etc, to have kids. These ones that don’t deserve kids have with no problem… Such is life…

6. Victor Adegoke

January 28, 2017 at 12:03 pm

The story does not add up. Both Couples should admit their irresponsibility and move on.

7. Idak

January 28, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Women are scum

• Idak

January 28, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Every time we see a man behave irresponsibly and in a Godless manner social media users are quick to say MEN ARE SCUM.

• Anon

January 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Aww you really tried it, but men are in more power to do rubbish in Nigeria, which they do. Until we hear stories of women masturbating on men in the bus, raping and beating men, women rape men and the male victims are blamed for wearing shorts, cheating on their husbands while the husbands are being told to “endure, lose weight” etc. But of course the men here pretend like they don’t grasp the reasons why men are scum.

8. Marian

January 28, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Do we have any good investigative Journalist in Nigeria? Who wrote this??? So this story made sense to the writer? It doesn’t add up.
    She did not die of HIV!!! RIP baby gurl! Your mom, dad and country failed you.
    It’s 2017!!! Gosh, i just can’t with Nigeria.

• Shai

January 28, 2017 at 7:16 pm

You have said it all!

9. OJ

January 28, 2017 at 5:43 pm

As usual, they (BN women) wont come out of their hiding places to condemn their fellow voltron mate….the woman obviously has HIV. what do you expect, when u are banging multiple partners in the name of hustling, you will surely get the good, the bad, and the ugly…unfortunately, the little child paid the ultimate price!!!

10. Maurice Abiqgom

January 28, 2017 at 6:57 pm

may the little girl rest in peace

11. Ellen

January 28, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Prince Charming: yes you could lump all of us women together with this mother if this was a COMMON practice. Unfortunately for you, it is not. The reason why it made the news in the first place is because it is highly uncommon, for any woman but more so a Nigerian woman to abandon her kid. & so when one actually does it, it becomes news. There is a reason why God even asks in the Bible whether a mother can forget her child. However you men abandon your kids all the time & are fond of neglecting your fatherly responsibilities especially when you break up with the mothers of your children.. When was the last time you read a story about a news item about a man abandoning his child? I’ll wait. It is ironic and even pathetic that you, Paul Adeyemo & Chief are so anti-women & anti-feminist yet you spend your days on a blog managed by a woman mainly geared towards women discussing mainly issues concerning women

12. OJ

January 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm

As usual, they (BN women) will not come out from their hiding place to put condemn their fellow voltron mate…it is very clear the mother has HIV/AIDS and infected the baby in the process. That’s what you get when you are banging different people in the name of hustling…you will end up getting the good, the bad and the ugly. Unfortunately the little baby paid the ultimate price. To the father of the baby, thank your star if you are HIV negative////BN if you like no post my comment

13. Nonamespls

January 29, 2017 at 3:15 am

What I don’t understand is why the orphanage had to return the HIV Positive child!?! Na so e dey work? The Mother is most likey infected, sad story

14. ij

January 30, 2017 at 10:58 am

“Suddenly, I discovered I have got two children for him”

honestly how do you discover that you have 2 kids by a man you have been sleeping with?
    i have pondered this statement so tey i now have a headache

15. F**k them bitches

January 31, 2017 at 2:14 am

F**king hoes…can’t trust them for sh*t!