Relationships

Actress Scarlett Johansson shares her thoughts on Marriage – “I don’t think it’s natural to be a monogamous person”

BellaNaija.com

Scarlett Johansson is featured in the March/April 2017 issue of Playboy.

Here’s what the 32-year-old Ghost in the Shell star had to share:

See excerpts below.

On motherhood: Oh, it has changed me, yes. Just the process of being pregnant and giving birth was incredibly profound. Also surrendering to the fact that with babies, and particularly infants and toddlers, you have to let go of your expectations and of whatever instincts you have to take control of the situation. Of course, being a mother, you have to make decisions all the time that affect this person who is completely dependent on you, but you also have to surrender to the experience, and that in itself is really liberating. For me, it’s the best thing that has ever happened. Ever. Somebody once described it to me as your heart growing this other chamber, and I think that’s really profoundly true. Your capacity to love something, at least in my experience, deepens to a whole other space. I think I was afraid that life would change, and it does; it dramatically changes. But I feel in a lot of ways more myself now than I did before.

On monogamy: Well, with every gain there’s a loss, right? So that’s a loss. You have to choose a path. I think the idea of marriage is very romantic; it’s a beautiful idea, and the practice of it can be a very beautiful thing. I don’t think it’s natural to be a monogamous person. I might be skewered for that, but I think it’s work. It’s a lot of work. And the fact that it is such work for so many people—for everyone—the fact of that proves that it is not a natural thing. It’s something I have a lot of respect for and have participated in, but I think it definitely goes against some instinct to look beyond.

On marriage: I think marriage initially involves a lot of people who have nothing to do with your relationship, because it’s a legally binding contract, and that has a weight to it. Being married is different than not being married, and anybody who tells you that it’s the same is lying. It changes things. I have friends who were together for 10 years and then decided to get married, and I’ll ask them on their wedding day or right after if it’s different, and it always is. It is. It’s a beautiful responsibility, but it’s a responsibility.

Read more here.

1. Me

February 16, 2017 at 4:55 am

Ashewo tins….

2. WeTheCuteNigerians

February 16, 2017 at 5:02 am

Pretty much a long interview covering her thoughts and ideas ranging from movies, social media, childhood etc… but BN excerpts only deals with topics that would interest Nigerians: monogamy, marriage & motherhood. Ever wondered that’s just about all we(Nigerians) talk about?

• Nakoms

February 16, 2017 at 7:16 am

Please BN how can I like this statement 972 times!

• A Real Nigerian

February 16, 2017 at 10:04 am

Look at the state of the country, society and citizens and then wonder no more.

3. Susie

February 16, 2017 at 6:09 am

You guys applaud when people say men are not naturally monogamous & so we should understand them when they cheat. Now a woman is saying the same thing & some people are upset lol. What she’s saying is true. Most creatures don’t mate with just one partner for the rest of their lives. Monogamy is very new in human history. Men have always been allowed to stray but because it’s a ‘man’s world’ women were punished harshly for straying like that woman caught in adultery in the Bible.

And that’s ridiculous because women have hormones too & things between our legs. Having said that, I must say that just because something is unnatural doesn’t mean we cannot do it if it is good for us & others. Airplanes, deodorant, fork & knife heck even the internet you’re using to read this and computers aren’t natural but we use them. So if we can do all that, we also can aim to be faithful to those we love & succeed in that also even if it isn’t easy to do so.

• Chief

February 16, 2017 at 10:10 am

@Susie…That’s nonsense.Another poor attempt from an incredibly argument trying to justify the degenerate lifestyle adopted by many unfaithful women today.I think you are trying to excuse the behaviour of a cheating partner of which you are…Oh yes!

Monogamy is not a natural state for men.It is for women.I truly feel sorry for any woman who thinks monogamy is not women natural desire or genetic disposition.Yes, men are genetically very similar to certain animals.Animals don’t lie being promiscious meanwhile men are highly developed than animals and seek to to live by higher standards than the law of jungle.That men shouldn’t be compared to other animals,pisses me off

.By nature women are meant to be monogamous while God made men to be polygamous in nature because of men high sex drive.If a man chose to be polygamous,that’s not our choice but rather the way we are created.This is biologically the case.Monogamy is not hardwired in men.Men are naturally attracted to multiple women.Any man who says he does not have sexual desires towards more than one woman is a liar.Men are naturally drawn towards women we consider attractive in sexual manner.It’s civilization that has brought us to a time where monogamy is considered the social norm.The need for men to breed is instinctive and cannot be suppressed.I noticed that society want men to be caged castrated punks…Too bad.

• TheRealist

February 16, 2017 at 11:14 am

@Chief, stopped reading your drivel at the following nonsense “.By nature women are meant to be monogamous while God made men to be polygamous in nature…” As if!

• Seriously

February 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm

@chief
      Stop believing your own bullshit.
      Men are created to be monogamous same for women. It’s a choice though.

• Gina

February 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Chief.

You think you’ve overpowered your wife with your nonsense “I’m the man of this house” rants abi? You think she wants your daughter to be as oppressed as you’ve made her? You think she’s not fed up of suffering and smiling while you think she should consider herself lucky for bearing your last name?

Your wife is cheating on you right now. Check on her and you will find out that it’s not by nature that women are meant to be monogamous.

4. charidee

February 16, 2017 at 6:52 am

it’s a statement of opinion. because its unnatural doesn’t mean that it can’t be done. I absolutely agree with the marriage, it’s work. I think that’s the problem a lot of people have, they think after the wedding everything goes smoothly.

5. D'Gifted

February 16, 2017 at 8:57 am

Amazing….she nailed it all well

6. OpenYourHeart

February 16, 2017 at 10:24 am

She gets it. She’s an evolved mind.

• Peaches77

February 16, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Like!

7. Dayo

February 16, 2017 at 11:16 am

Thank you Scarlett! Monogamy is a choice, not the natural state of humankind.

8. isaid!!

February 17, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Hey people, learn to ignore chief. saves you mb