News

Army says soldiers who brutalised physically challenged man in Onitsha have been “apprehended” and “charged”

BellaNaija.com

The Nigerian Army has said that it has arrested the soldiers that brutalised a physically challenged man in Onitsha.

A statement by Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, Director, Army Public Relations, said that the two soldiers have been charge for assault by their Commanding Officer.

In a video that surfaced online yesterday, the two soldiers were seen dragging and hitting the physically challenged man with sticks after throwing away his wheelchair.

It was alleged that they beat him up for wearing a military camouflage.

In the statement titled: Soldiers that molested physically challenged person have been apprehended, the Army said:

The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a video clip in which two soldiers were seen maltreating a physically challenged person for allegedly wearing a camouflage shirt.

We wish to inform the public that the incident took place on Tuesday 7th February 2017, at Onitsha, Anambra State.

In line with our zero tolerance for acts of indiscipline and unprofessional conducts especially in relation to violation of human rights, we wish to further state that the soldiers involved have since been identified and apprehended.

They have also been charged for assault by their Commanding Officer.

Similarly, troops have been warned to desist from such acts that infringe on human rights and cast serious aspersions on the good image of the Nigerian Army.

The public should please regard this ugly incident as an isolated case which is not true reflection of the Nigerian Army.

1. Busarni

February 9, 2017 at 9:21 am

Lies; show us their wicked faces….. super story

2. Spunky

February 9, 2017 at 9:23 am

That’s not good enough. We need proof…

3. Imuh

February 9, 2017 at 9:31 am

Now we’re talking. I simply hope they actually see this to the end

4. Xristybabes

February 9, 2017 at 9:32 am

that’s a good one

5. Ethio

February 9, 2017 at 9:33 am

I’m a trader at onitsha main market and I refuse to join this guy’s pity party, the said “handicapped” is a muscular MASSOB thug patrolling the motor Park at egerton Avenue with cane, ready to send some discipline the way of drivers that won’t pay their trumped up levies (these thugs are everywhere in onitsha bullying poor bus and keke drivers). These guys are the reasons you won’t go out with your Android phone at night, they would say “bring am” and a line up of slaps will ensue before you finally lose your phone. Long story short he’s generally not as Helpless as is being portrayed and I believe the officials met some form of confrontation before going all out on him, just maybe this is karma’s way of sending him some discipline *runs away*

• CovertNigerian

February 9, 2017 at 9:57 am

If true, your allegations are certainly serious. However, 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Thug or not a crime was committed against him and he deserves justice. Simultaneously though, if he has himself broken the law we can only hope consequences catch up with him too.

Nigeria is too lawless.

• David

February 9, 2017 at 11:26 am

Nothing justifies the degradation of a man. Whether he’s not handicap or thug or is not the issue but the dehumanization by a force that ought to protect its citizens. If truly the victim is a known thug and not handicapped as stated, the civil thing for the arm forces to do is hand him over the police force. Their JOB is not to oppress or dehumanize any CITIZEN.

The Nigerian army oppression and dehumanization of Nigerian citizens is a known tale. So you can call it his karma and run off, but tomorrow it maybe YOU!

• Ethio

February 9, 2017 at 12:07 pm

@david he’s handicapped alright, just not helpless. His goons are lurking around. The fact that he’s a bad person doesn’t do justice to what the soldiers did, I’m aware of that(maybe if your mom goes to the market with vegetables worth just 2k and pay tithe of #400 everyday to touts it would) @covert smarty pants, I detest you… though you make lots of sense

• David

February 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I understand you Ethos. Really sorry for taxes levied on you guys by him. But as long as this guy couldnt fight back he was helpkess. I did notice a resistance by him at first, but he was still helpless. And all that beating was for what? He wore a camo? Haba!

Nigeria army needs to stop oppressing us. I’ve witnessed far too many dehamanization of NIgerian citizens perpetuated by the Nigerian armed forces, not just the army. Citizens (bullies) oppressing citizens (docile ones) is terrible and should be indicted, but it’s highly resprehensible when citizens are oppressed by armed forced who ought to protect them.

Sometimes I don’t blame these armed forces cause we seem to have lost our humanity as a people, but we need to start from somewhere and it starts from the top. All that change begins with you thingy as a little bit of a haha to me, ’cause humans are governed laws. The army will keep oppressing us and getting away it if we don’t condemn this practice of theirs and system of ours that overlooks it!

• NIRA

February 9, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Still doesn’t make it right that they would do that to a human being, disabled or not.

6. BlackMan

February 9, 2017 at 9:35 am

Isolated ke? U mus be a joker!

7. Mystique

February 9, 2017 at 9:36 am

charged or dismissed???? what are their names? I’m sorry but I despise Nigeria’s security agents. I’m a victim of this nonsense though i wasn’t beaten. A foolish officer walked up to me and told me his oga said i should remove my cap. I’m like why?? he responded that only soldiers are allowed to wear it. *rolls eyes*……….. i wish they could focus all their energy on eradicating boko haram rather than intimidating innocent citizens.

8. Ethio

February 9, 2017 at 9:37 am

He’s called “old soldier” and asides collecting the little gains bus drivers and market women make from Street trading alongside his fellow goons he sells Indian hemp at the park too (I love my weed)

• Temisan

February 9, 2017 at 10:20 am

Now we know who’s been supplying you with weed. You’re a really bright mind Pls reduce your weed intake it doesn’t look good on you . PS I know who you are,your friend from last year

9. Udegbunam Chukwudi

February 9, 2017 at 9:46 am

@Ethio Hmmmm, part of me felt there had to be good reason for this beating but I just decide to keep kwayet!

10. uchanna emmanuel

February 9, 2017 at 9:50 am

Is very bad and painful but’ forgiveness is the only way, because of christ.

11. CovertNigerian

February 9, 2017 at 9:58 am

Names. Ranks. Photos.

This statement is pointless without that information. They should even add years on the force for good measure as well.

12. nodelep

February 9, 2017 at 10:05 am

We want proof Abeg , this is a blanket statement. Let’s hear their names and see videos. The army most likely has covered up for them by posting them. Out that’s what they do. Liars. BN please demand proof. We are not buying it

13. Ethio

February 9, 2017 at 12:07 pm

14. yummymummycumchick

February 9, 2017 at 12:53 pm

the positiveb power of social media.. that video was so heart breaking . all dt cos of a freaking cap.. worst, they could v told him to remove it and warn him sternly .not torture. i dont get why pple in uniforms like using the violent method for everything.

15. keke driver

February 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Idon bilivit

16. Elizabeth

February 9, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Just yesterday a man in army uniform “Abuah E” insulted me for not letting him use the ATM before me when i have been standing for over 30mins for my turn. i had to be careful with my reaction and he even threatened to beat me up. our government and arm forces has failed us.

17. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

February 9, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Brigadier Sani Usman. If the Nigeria Army has apprehended them. The Nigeria Army should hand them over to the Police to be booked and charged to Court just like any other criminal. The Nigerian Army is not an Island. members of the Nigerian Army are still part the society. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.