Music

Documents show that Timi Dakolo obtained the licence & paid for Majek Fashek’s “Send Down the Rain”

BellaNaija.com

Timi Dakolo and Majek Fashek

Yesterday, it was reported that raggae veteran, Majek Fashek‘s manager is planning to file a N100m copyright infringement lawsuit against singer, Timi Dakolo for allegedly using Majek Fashek’s hit “Send Down the Rain” without permission.

The manager, Uzoma Day Omenka, said they’ll be filing the lawsuit before the end of March, after their return from a trip to the United Kingdom.

Omenka had said that they will only change their minds if Dakolo can provide proof of authorization from any representative of Majek Fashek.

According to documents made available to TheNETng, an agreement was signed by Charles Novia who represented Majek Fashek while the sum of N500,000 was paid on behalf of Timi Dakolo by Now Music to November Records.

See the documents below:

Majek Fashek had, in an interview late December 2016, accused Charles Novia and one Azuka Jabose of defrauding him.

“I want Nigerians to please help me stop Charles Novia and Azuka Jabose from defrauding me. A lot has been happening, which I am giving a little tip. I have never had contract with Charles Novia. He put me in trouble with my American boss, even the Little Patience Album; I did not receive a penny from it. The song was recorded by Coral Music, Los Angeles.

And I am still having problems with them because I try to help him use the song to boost him for the Nigerian audience to help his November Records. Because of his scam that November Records is down, I have never had managing or recording contract with him. He should present our contract to Nigerians, he owes Coral Music.

That’s why I had big problem with Coral Music. Azuka is full of scandal. I have never had contract with them and they have no right to negotiate my business; they have been using me for too long. I also need Timi Dakolo to present the management he paid to and how much by going to use my song and earning money from iTunes and making money from ‘Send down the rain’. Azuka, a cab driver in America, whom I gave support -they are friends. I am not joking because my solicitor will contact him soon and we will make it public,” he had said.

Charles Novia and Azuka Jabose had refuted the allegations.

Speaking to TheNETng on the recent development, Charles Novia said:

Well yeah, I brought a statement on this last year which absolves Timi of any wrong doing and we still stand by that statement.

Majek in the presence three or four witnesses gave us permission to negotiate that deal on his behalf. Timi Dakolo actually went through all the processes required to clear the song.

I don’t know what Majek’s new management is trying to achieve with these things.

1. NG

February 14, 2017 at 4:09 pm

‘Majek in the presence three or four witnesses gave us permission to negotiate that deal on his behalf.’ How?

2. Tru

February 14, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Everyone hustling to make money in this recession ?

3. sharon

February 14, 2017 at 4:52 pm

They should sha leave Timi alone

4. word

February 14, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Charles Novia, I hope Majek’s permission in the presence of 100 people was not verbal. Na there wahala go dey

• Kili

February 14, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Loool. Gangah inspired words.

5. Jo

February 14, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Was the permission to negotiate the deal on his behalf in writing? Although the existence of an agreement can be inferred from circumstances including the presence of witnesses who can attest to that fact, it is best to have it all “penciled down.”

6. josdaily

February 14, 2017 at 6:59 pm

WAs probably too high to remember but then, there is a document

7. DDO

February 14, 2017 at 8:34 pm

All good..but N500,000 ONLY for rights to “Send Down The Rain”??? That figure doesnt seem right to me 🙁 ….

8. oby

February 14, 2017 at 10:47 pm

So the almighty Charles Novia is a scam! They used Majek so teyyy even until he lost himself due to addiction. Now his senses are back they think he will keep quiet. Timi was just caught in the web, thats all! But wait oo, 500k for rights to that classic song?? haba! when Davido paid a million or more for ‘Gbagbe Oshi’. Charles Novia fear God naa!!!

9. Nv

February 15, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Doesn’t Fashek have lawyers? Why does his management sound so messy?
    And the man himself sounds so ignorant which is a surprise for someone with his level of experience in the industry
    “I want Nigerians to help me stop Charles Novia” how? Its a shame and I feel sorry for talented artiste who fall victims to exploitation which is far too common than it should be but, man, I’m really confused with Fashek’s palava. What’s going wrong?