News

“Not today Satan” – Banky W shares details of an Early Morning Fire Outbreak in his House

A property in Lekki where singer and songwriter, Banky W, lives has been razed down by a terrible fire.

According to Punchng , a neighbor to the artist said that the fire was caused by a faulty air conditioner and was believed to have started around 6am this morning.

The resident said, “The fire started around 6am and all of us came out to assist Banky in putting out the fire. However, Fire service officials arrived around 7.30. So many items were destroyed including Banky’s awards.”

Our thoughts are with Banky W, and we hope no one got hurt.

***

Banky also explained the situation on Instagram

So there’s good news and bad news. The good news is… I’m thanking God that I’m alive to give the bad news as a testimony.
Bad news is…
I was laying awake in bed at about 6am , and I just started smelling smoke. Stood up to shut off my tv and ac and realized it was coming from outside my door. Opened it to see the whole stairway was filled with huge gusts of black smoke/soot, and a fire was burning stuff downstairs. The smoke was so much I couldn’t get down past it to see the source of the flames. Rushed back into my room and climbed down from the 2nd floor balcony with my dog… and then got help from the amazing workers and neighbours who helped me put out the flames.
Turns out the ac in the living room had caught fire.. I know a lot of ppl have been trying to call and I appreciate it. Maybe the fire burnt some of the network in the house because I can’t receive calls LOL ?, but instead of calling to say sorry pls just maybe say a prayer and thank God with me.

Thank God I was awake to smell the smoke. Thank God we caught it early enough and the damage wasn’t so bad.. it basically burnt some of the stuff that was around it. So awards, portraits, and some small electronics. But thank God, Duke and I are alive and well. We only had to form James Bond and climb down from the balcony LOL. Thank God for my neighbors and the amazing workers in and around the compound for helping us escape via the balcony, helping put out the fire, and helping with the aftermath/cleaning.

Thank God for life. And I’m not even upset.. I’m just grateful for life and health and for the grace and mercy of God on my life. I figure I’m about to have the best year ever so the devil tried to throw a tantrum. But not today Satan. Not today, not ever. Now sit back and watch me be great. By God’s grace. Amen. God bless you all.

1. LEE

February 28, 2017 at 11:51 am

God is good

2. That African Chic

February 28, 2017 at 11:52 am

Was it really Satan or it was a faulty AC that did not get the right maintenance services?
    Was it really God or it was the timely intervention of neighbours and perhaps fire service?

• Tutu

February 28, 2017 at 12:05 pm

You’re such a fool! And this is because the Bible says only a fool would say that there is no God. What if he was in deep sleep or it was worse than that. Banky, God loves you.

• That African Chic

February 28, 2017 at 12:26 pm

And you had to quote the Bible. That’s smart of you, isn’t it?

• EC

February 28, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Note it wasn’t says that there is no God. Glad to see that he is fine.

• Iyke

February 28, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Really??
      You called her a fool for asking an intelligent, critical nd legitimate question?
      @tutu,you are rude and disrespectful..apologise to her or cover your head in shame.

• A Real Nigerian

February 28, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Hahahahahahaha! @thatafricanchic I love your responses!

• Bey

February 28, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Some people are just born stupid, or its a new acquisition. Gosh

• artklub

February 28, 2017 at 12:20 pm

dont mind these dummies, u are asking good questions! dont be threatened by the gormless…

• Amazing Esther

February 28, 2017 at 12:21 pm

A song says “count your blessings, name them one by one and It will surprise you what the Lord has done!” I can confidently say that it was God that made Banky W to be awake at that point in time, God made the fire outbreak to even happen as at when he was at home, God gave him the intuition to go over the Balcony without missing his steps to scream for help and God made it possible for people to even be around as at that time. Haba sis ‘That African Chic’, I see God’s hand in every step of this incident. It was even God that kept you alive to be able to type this message. Remember you cannot understand the mysteries of God and how He works!

• Memoir

February 28, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Amazing Esther….and you ordinary person understand mysteries of God right? Have u seen God? Male or female? You don’t even know the mind of your village uncle and you know that of an unknown invisible entity? Ppl marry for years and don’t even know the person they live with and ur’e here explaining “the mysteries of God”? Cos a book written 2000 yrs ago by men tells you so? Oh the delusion.
      Pls can you also tell us when Buhari is coming back Madam God’s PA …. Religious ppl lack critical thinking and reasoning….

• kwinny

February 28, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I am guessing your former alias was “chief”?? dull fellow. you waste no time to spew garbage from that shit hole you call a mouth.
      By the way, mistakes happen. Anybody can forget to put off an appliance. oshisko!

• Seriously

February 28, 2017 at 12:49 pm

@African chic
      I understand where you are coming from. Nigerians/Africans don’t take responsibility for anything just blame it on Satan. That was carelessness on Banky W part, and overlooking certain things. When a lot of electrical driven things are on for a long period of time, and at the same time, it heats up. These are machines not robot.

However, his carelessness could have lead to his own death. This is where God comes in. We are not perfect, we do stupid, crazy things make mistakes at times that can easily be self destructive but God shows us HIS grace.
      African chic, just think for a second when some things could have gone worst in your life but it didn’t. Don’t be too smart now to be a fool.

• Jacky with the good hair

February 28, 2017 at 12:49 pm

I di bad
      (in patience ozokwors voice)…. lmaooooooo

• Agu

February 28, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Good question some people might think you are a fool but your question is legit.

3. Thatgidigirl

February 28, 2017 at 11:54 am

Thank God for his life! It could have been a different story but God intervened. Meanwhile, BN what kind of crappy style of reporting is this? First the cover pic for the story is a controversial screenshot of him and gifty’s brouhaha, then you go on to say that his house was razed down….abi una no know wetin razed down mean? ??

4. goddessofvictory

February 28, 2017 at 11:59 am

Be gone Satan @thatafricanchic

5. kaylah

February 28, 2017 at 12:01 pm

@that african chick i dont know who u re and it bothers me that u can speak like this. i dont know if its too much exposure that is worrying u or u just want to cause traffic for this post. i am moved to say something stupid to u but what its practically uncalled for as we are who we are by our experience, upbringing and in summary our mind. i rest my case.
    thank God for his timely intervention Banky W.

• A Real Nigerian

February 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Shut it.

• kay

March 1, 2017 at 10:41 am

”we are who we are by our experience, upbringing and in summary our mind” nice quote

6. goddessofvictory

February 28, 2017 at 12:07 pm

satan will not physically come from hell to kill, steal and destroy. It uses “things”( people, situations & circumstances around ) God also uses these same “things” to bless and save.

• That African chicc

February 28, 2017 at 12:21 pm

It’s 2017 and you still believe there is some black guy with horns in a burning fire underneath the earth. And Santa Clus is real

• Tutu

February 28, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Foolish fool! that is what you are.

• Memoir

February 28, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Godfessofvictory…So God is in competition with something (satan) he supposedly created? I know the arguement that he gave satan power and satan rebelled so basically
      God gave a being he created more power than himself? LoL….If you stupid senseless humans do not give your house boys and maids as much power in your house to challenge your authority but an all knowing all powerful God gives enough power to challenge him to a lesser being then your God is not very smart….Some of you religious ppl do not reason anymore bcos uve been raised , brainwashed and indoctrinated with your brain getting fried from childhood and every Sunday…Receive sense ….Next thing its pray for me or that the canal mind does not understand spiritual things or that I’m satan mchewww..

7. Th

February 28, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Ok let’s not find out what caused the faulty ACs that could have potentially burnt down the house, this way future incidents may be prevented. But why should that be the focus, it makes much more sense to blame it on Satan and praise God

8. Priye

February 28, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I love you Banky, I swear I really do.
    But what happens to switching off electrical appliances before going to bed. At least the ones you don’t need.
    You see, these things when they work non stop, they heat up and burn. I know you know that right? Anyways thank goodness you are ok.

• That African Chic

February 28, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Now a much more sensible and rational person

• FasholasLover

February 28, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Thank you jare. Every time devil, every time satan. Whatever happened to common sense? Satan sef don suffer.

• Marian

February 28, 2017 at 1:40 pm

You turn off your AC when you go to bed???

• jeez

February 28, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Read the damn story! The A.C downstairs was on and he was in bed upstairs.

9. kwinny

February 28, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Banky, I thank God for your life!

10. bolintin

February 28, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Banky, we thank God for you o but you forgot to tell us how you got that babe out of your apartment naaaa……. abi you want us to believe you sleep alone sometimes??????????

abeg come back here!

11. Nnamdi

February 28, 2017 at 1:29 pm

If the worst had happened then, would you still call ‘That African Chic’ a fool?

12. kwinny

February 28, 2017 at 1:52 pm

BN, you know that I am right that @thatafricanchic is that dull “chief”…iranu. BN, you removed my comment. oshisko people.

• A Real Nigerian

February 28, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Shut up

• kwinny

March 1, 2017 at 12:52 pm

YOU ARE DAFT

13. nene

February 28, 2017 at 1:55 pm

In Nigeria, everything is a death trap. Thank God for Banky W.

• David

February 28, 2017 at 3:02 pm

That was my first instinct, imagine the fire service arriving 1 hour, 30 minute later. Imagine, if he was a deep sleeper… thank God for him indeed.

14. lbh

February 28, 2017 at 2:12 pm

You guys are so funny blaming banky.. even the best of you forget to turn off our appliances once in a while, it could have happened to anyone. just thank God for his safety

15. Somto

February 28, 2017 at 3:43 pm

“His house was razed down by fire”Really Bella!! Razed down means the entire house was burnt to the ground and clearly it was not. Sensationalism much.

16. Binta

February 28, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Folks which ever way u look at this incident, definitely the supreme being is at the center of it all. Banky love ur spirit. Thieves entered my house earlier this year carted away so many things was and still upset when I think about it
    Banky ur write up is soul lifting… yes of a truth 2017 is gonna be a great year for us by the Grace of God….

17. chiquita

February 28, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Its amazing how Nigerians can be the most religious people on earth, yet have no idea the God they are serving. What a lot of you must know is that be it by his own mistake or just by accident from unstable power supply, he was still saved by God. Do you people realize how many mistakes, we ordinary humans make on the daily that could end our lives in a split second, yet by his grace, he keeps us. Believe it or not, people do die in house fires. I thank God for your life, you were indeed saved by God,

18. Temi

February 28, 2017 at 8:10 pm

I am reading this story… and I feel bad for Banky.. Just a dog … sleeping.. Thank God you both are alive.

19. Marian

February 28, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Shoutout to all the Electricians and Atheists on this post.

Banky, I join you to thank God for your life.

Smoke Detectors save lives. Not sure about Naija but you should be able to pick them up for free at the fire station.
    Everyone should have them installed in their homes. Will see about doing an awareness on it the next time i visit. Just realized it may not be the standard in Nigeria.

• Zigzag

February 28, 2017 at 11:15 pm

The most sensible comment on this post. Thank you.

• tunmi

March 1, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Me and you oh. Sprinklers nko? Well if there aren’t smoke detectors and a sprinkler system then there sure won’t be a small fire extinguisher. Also, was there a fire escape ladder? He didn’t quite say. This is a good thing, if Nigerians can get off their religiousness podium for a sec:

Fire-proof your homes:
      1. have emergency exits
      2. have smoke alarms, do your research as to where to place them
      3. architects and home builders, have sprinkler system.

The fire service didn’t get there until 1.5 hours later, THAT is worrying af

20. Pippa

February 28, 2017 at 8:32 pm

So Banky all this you are showinng to your fans or followers – what are they suppose to do with all this information

Some people just like attention for no reason.

Some things are so not necessary.

Unless its about your music – n o body cares. Your house has burned and so what ?

Attention seeker

• Miss_Flygerian

February 28, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Are you well at all? Would it kill you to show a little empathy to someone who could have lost his life in a fire that claimed his house? Perhaps you don’t care about his personal well-being, but he has family, friends, and fans who do. He’s a HUMAN BEING for God’s sake. Whatever issues you have with him, now is not the time to sound like an insensitive buffoon. Or is he the cause of whatever misfortune you are going through in your life?

Just pray something like this never happens to you. And if it does, I hope people CARE enough about you to be at your side and sympathize with you.

21. GodExists

February 28, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Please as many as are here and do not believe in God, please you need to rethink. Am not condemning your believe, but come to think of it, how do supernatural things happen if there is not a supernatural being, how do the lame get to work, the blind see, the sick healed, please God exist, and you can only know Him through Jesus Christ his son, please do more research on this I beg you, and give your life to JESUS. Trust me you will not regret it, God will continue to bless you, I love you all.

• tunmi

March 1, 2017 at 8:32 pm

random things happen in life.
      with the lame, blind and sick, sometimes physical therapy works, sometime there is surgery, and there are advancements in science. oh you mean the show and tell they show you in church…that one is a business.