News

Facebook User Committed Suicide because of his Father’s Lack of Care – Family Source

BellaNaija.com

The deceased, Taiwo Olanrewaju Ariyo

A family source has said that one Taiwo Olarenwaju Ariyo, who committed suicide over the weekend did so because his U.S.-based father stopped caring for him and his brother.

Taiwo had posted “only got few hours to live” on Facebook before proceeding to take Sniper (an insecticide) in the Igando area of Lagos.

PUNCH reports that Taiwo’s father, Clement Ariyo, who works as a pathologist with the Red Cross Society, married two wives: Taiwo’s mother who had three children, and another woman who had two children.

It was gathered that Clement was always sending money to Taiwo’s stepmother while neglecting his own mother and her children.

34-year old Taiwo became depressed as a result of his father’s lack of care and went to his stepmother’s house on Shaba Ojo Street, Igando, on Saturday.

“The problem is that the father does not care for them. We had all talked to the man, but he didn’t listen. The whole thing got to Taiwo, but I counselled him to forget about his father,” the family source said.

“On that day, he said he would sacrifice himself for the other two children. He said maybe if he died, their father would wake up to the reality,” the source added.

His twin brother, Kehinde was said to have urged him to leave their stepmother’s house but he refused.

Kehinde went on to call Taiwo’s wife. As soon as Taiwo saw his wife, he brought out the insecticide from his pocket and drank it.

“Immediately he saw his wife, he dipped his hand into his pocket, brought out the Sniper and drank it,” the source said adding: “Kehinde raced out to get a cab to convey him to a hospital. He didn’t get a cab on time. We rushed him to the Igando General Hospital (at about 12.30AM)”

“Around 2.30AM, a nurse said he was not responding to treatment and asked us to transfer him to Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH)” he added.

The deceased was first turned back for lack of space when they got to LUTH, but was later admitted after a doctor intervened.

He was confirmed dead around 6AM on Sunday

When the father was called, he told Kehinde to bury his brother, which the family did on Tuesday.

“Since that day, the stepmother has not called to condole with us. On the night that the boy took Sniper, I was screaming on top of my voice and calling for help, but nobody came to our help,” the family source said.

When the father was contacted, he wondered why he would be catering to a married man.

“I did not take care of him? Care for a 34-year-old person that went to school and got married? A man that had children with different women? And now that he is dead, he has added more to my burden.

Did you know that he had his first child 10 years ago? That child is now in Ado-Ekiti and I have been the one responsible for him. He had another child last year, but he denied the paternity. I am 66 years old and should be retired ordinarily.

So how can the 34-year-old said I didn’t care about him? He was a controversial son for 34 years that he lived.

I woke up on Saturday to see a suicide note that he sent to me. In the note, he said he would kill himself. When I saw the note, I immediately called his twin brother and told him to go after him. He said he wanted to get married, buy this and that. He even went ahead to post the same thing on Facebook,” Taiwo’s father said.

Clement added that he had received several calls from different women who claimed they had relationship with the deceased. He added that one of the calls, the lady at the other end claimed Taiwo dumped her after having no fewer than 10 abortions forhim.h

Clement said that when he was in Nigeria last November, he called Taiwo to advise him to change his ways.

“Instead, he lied to me that he wanted money to travel to see his son who was in Ado Ekiti and I gave him $100, which he changed to N37,500. I later learnt he didn’t visit the boy. At another time, I bought clothes for that boy, but Taiwo didn’t deliver them,” he added.

Source: PUNCH

1. Fifi

March 9, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Mental Health issues are real but this Mr Taiwo at 34 you killed yourself because your father isnt taking care of you and your siblings, you should have worked so damn hard and become successful and prove to him that without him you became a man, i pray all those he left behind are comforted

• Amaka

March 9, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I understand. He was 34 and should have been more responsible. I have worked in his shoes before. If you are not from a polygamous family whose father neglected, you can never ever understand. I struggled with bitterness, anger, inferiority complex for so long. Somehow in FGGC Sagamu, I gave my life to Christ after an altar call was made. I did because the problems at home were so overwhelming. My mum worked. My dad had moved to a better area with another woman, sometimes we had no food to eat. The issues bothered me so I told a family friend. He said my father had lived his life and made his choices and that I should live my life. By God’s grace I am successful. I tell you a lot of things happen in a polygamous family so much that if the supernatural God is not on your side, diabolical issues will cause you to end your life. You won’t know why you are depressed. You want to be close to your dad and share secrets with him but he is with the other woman. You calculate when to call him because the other woman may be there. It is tough to understand all these if your parents are together.

2. Olu

March 9, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Old lazy fart

3. WHAT?

March 9, 2017 at 7:14 pm

GOOD RIDDANCE, OMO POH BI OSAN, OMO ASHITAANI,
    AT F**ING 34 YEARS OLD.
    SEE WHAT SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT CAUSES.
    PARENTS, TRAIN YOUR KIDS BETTER!

4. #Proudnigerian

March 9, 2017 at 7:48 pm

34 years? Nigerians and sense of entitlement! Give me give me hian! Oga at 34 you could not find a “hand job” to do no shame .. Rest in peace your maker awaits you.

5. survivor

March 9, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Took after d father’s polygamous life

6. Zinny

March 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Kai, how do I say this without sounding insensitive-
    Our nonsense sense of entitlement in this country is what is killing us. I remember the days people will boldly proclaim that “Nigerians never commit suicide” All of a sudden, suicide suicide everywhere. When we learn to draw strength and happiness from within, then that will be the day. May his soul rest in peace.
    It goes without saying, it’s not every day school school, we need to raise kids with lessons that make them stronger members of society, gives them a stronger sense of worth, and value for their own lives and that of others. No more suicides dear lord…. Please

7. obe

March 9, 2017 at 9:34 pm

That why I love Bini boys, dey no dey wait for you. ohh Abroad here they come by crook or sea .Hand no break, leg no break ,u dey wait for your papa to take care of you.Unecessarily burden dey put on people abroad.

8. Temi

March 9, 2017 at 10:27 pm

I don’t believe that this is the real story.. at 34 years of Age… grown ass man… who should have taken a wife.. get a job and cared for his own mother.. he is taking his own life.. Please, my Fellows Nigerians.. don’t believe this .. there is something else behind this. RIP! AND MAY THE ALMIGHTY FORGIVE HIM.. BECAUSE SUICIDE IS NOT ACCEPTED IN CHRISTIANITY, ISLAM

9. Lol

March 9, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Lmao at Nigerians thinking they are children when they are over 18. Shior! A 34yr old man with kids for that matter. Oun pe. What a waste of sperm. Mtschew. Lmao at his family calling him boy. Enabling Iranu. If he’s a boy, why didn’t the family member feed and clothe him na. Nonsense. The only person to pity here is the child in Ekiti.

10. Amaka

March 10, 2017 at 1:34 am

Bella Naija. I am waiting. My comment will help someone. Oya published it. A father should be there for his children. The neglect they go through does not change because they are 34. It affects them from a young age

11. Ada

March 10, 2017 at 10:08 am

Nigerians and their entitled feeling. So at 34yrs he could not fend for himself? He was still feeling entitled to handout from his dad.

12. Papermoon

March 10, 2017 at 10:15 am

Poor 66 Year old man…..you have really suffered if what you claim is true. I hope he ends up in heaven where everything is provided by someone else…….