News

I was Brutally Beaten & Robbed by Hoodlums with POS Machines – Twitter User

BellaNaija.com

A Twitter user has narrated how hoodlums with POS Machines robbed him and other passengers in a bus of their monies.

He said that the robbers applied balm on their eyes as the robbery was going on. He wrote:

So… I got robbed and brutally beaten in a bus at Yaba on Tuesday and the most shocking thing of all was that the robbers had POS with them.

…and yes the transaction was untraceable when I went to the bank.

There was a pastor in the bus and they took all his ATMs and transferred his church funds. Man was crying when we were dropped off.

They put “Aboniki” (balm) in our eyes all the while and dropped at a Redeemed Church at iponri.

He said his bank told him the name of the bank the money was transferred to, adding that they have no other information to give.

He however said he’ll go back for clarifications as he’s currently focusing on getting better.

The sad thing is that this is becoming a trend as several other Twitter users shared similar experiences about robbers using POS Machines to carry out their criminal act.

1. Sweetness

March 24, 2017 at 1:54 pm

That I’m appalled is an understatement right now….

2. keke driver

March 24, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Lobatan……..POS Machines ???

3. Laura

March 24, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Does it mean POS is given to every Tom Dick and Harry without verification. Lord have mercy on us.

4. Ike

March 24, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Bella, abeg no dey give us PUFF PUFF stories! HoHa!

5. Patrick

March 24, 2017 at 2:39 pm

It should be traceable and the funds refunded. Maybe there is someone in the bank that is colluding with these rogues

• nene

March 24, 2017 at 6:52 pm

exactly. a lot of these bankers are thieves. making money on the side illegally.

• Idomagirl

March 24, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Yes….many bankers are in cahoots with armed robbers and fraudsters.

6. iwalewa

March 24, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I was robbed or let me say boarded one chance’ bus at yaba too and all my money and valuables were taken. I was dropped around costain. Our governor should tighten security around yaba especially the busstop at the main market. So many cases of ‘one chance’ buses there.

7. Dude

March 24, 2017 at 3:08 pm

So someone cannot take atm card out in peace in this lagos again.

8. Big Tee

March 24, 2017 at 3:45 pm

The transaction can be traced if our law enforcement officers have the will to go after the thieves, sure.. the bank can’t trace the POS, but with the transaction number indicated in the account statement, law enforcement folks can subpoena Master Card or Visa Card Payment Company to identify the terminal which connected to its network (if you have a visa or master card, your debit requests goes through those networks which then connects to your bank system for confirmation of balance) this will reveal the POS terminal ID and Merchant ID, which will then be used to identify issuing bank, and from there, they can dive deeper into their investigative work.

• zarah

March 24, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Hey learned colleague

• Big Tee

March 24, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Hi Zarah, “learned colleague” means you assume I’m a lawyer right?…. if I guess right, then I need to tell you I’m not in that field, I’m in Management Consulting specialized in financial forensics, let’s just say I’m a IT guy paid to follow stolen monies with the hope of getting them back.

• @Big T

March 24, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Hello, is your firm recruiting? Are you looking for an intern? I have an MSc. in Forensic Accounting. Please reply.

• Big Tee

March 25, 2017 at 8:25 am

Hmmm….we’re working out of Zurich and Budapest….I’ll be willing to have a chat if you are nearby…..

• @Big T

March 25, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Thank you for replying. I am currently in the UK and here is my email address :[email protected] My apologies, this is not my normal formal email address, I use it on public social media posts like this.

9. Ms. Lurve

March 24, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Question.
    If CBN Gov’s daughter was robbed with a POS machine, will the banks still say the transaction is not traceable?
    No answer required.