Style

Orange Culture presents Autumn Winter 2017 Collection ‘PRETTY’

BellaNaija Style

Following the brand’s critically acclaimed debut at London Fashion Week, Orange Culture presents the Autumn Winter 2017 collection – PRETTY.

For this collection, Adebayo Oke-Lawal, the Creative Director for Orange Culture chose to infer on garments, the religion of romance. Romanticism is at the base of the fabrications and shapes. A story of blossoming teenage boys – the full spectrum of what it means to be young, which encompasses the carelessness of love, the angst of failure, and also the delicateness of hurt. The collection begins with that startling moment a teenage boy realises that hurt is part of the journey too.

As a Nigerian boy, you are not necessarily allowed to own hurt, even if it is staring you right in the face. It is a deeply rooted patriarchal system that invalidates pain as an essence to maleness. Mostly you are required to be a man before you are old enough to realise that being a man is overrated.” Oke-Lawal tells.

But there is also a progression into recovery, into a subtle acknowledge of self-bravery, and self-love and these teenage boys being able to find themselves despite some of the worst pains of abuse. The collection, as it is titled “pretty” shows there is no anger to it; no form of rebellion or self-pity; no persisting shadow of victimisation. In some sense, it is a collection of rebirths – the moment after, the sense of journeying along, despite it all, and the idea of being broken to become beautiful.

Quilted parkas, soft crepes and lamb leathers were layered to express the intensity of the romanticism/vulnerability behind the collection. The delicate prints, emotional colours and extra frilled detailing were added on to push the story even further. Shot with a Polaroid camera to capture an emotional moment in time.

As with the collections before, all pieces are manufactured in Lagos from ethically-sourced fabrics from local Nigerian fabric makers. Jewellery is made in collaboration with Nairobi-based brand ADÈLE DEJAK (@adeledejak).

1. Onyii

March 18, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Ogini na afio

2. Baby gurl

March 18, 2017 at 4:35 pm

what do they call boys/men that wear this type of clothes or look like this? i like them as my friends sha not boyfriend or husband. But I’d have to commend Adebayo on his originality and creativity. u can’t deny that one.

3. jinkelele

March 18, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Erm…I am not understanding
    I dunno if I want to see any man I know in any of these sha.

A few pieces are nice like the velvet blue jacket and long sleeve top and trouser print combo …I just think some of the pieces shouldn’t be put together.
    Besides I couldn’t relate the prose to the clothes

• Anon

March 18, 2017 at 5:54 pm

We see colours differently. In my eyes, purple velvet and not blue velvet.

4. Kelly

March 18, 2017 at 5:51 pm

So cool!! I love the wool jumpers.

5. Anon

March 18, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Bruno – “what say you?”

The velvet pieces, the patterned shirt, the patterned jumper, the tan splash tunic and the boiler suit are alright.

The first model is cute.

Yes, jinkelele re-wearing them as separates.

6. tufiakwa

March 18, 2017 at 6:03 pm

God forbid evil. Our children are taught of the Lord and great is their peace.

7. AA

March 18, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Please I am a woman, and I want everything here! Bayo Oke-Lawal please do a female collection, I can just Imagine the pieces!

• Bleed Blue

March 19, 2017 at 5:25 pm

I’m a woman too and I buy his clothes oh. I like his brand and hubby won’t agree to wear, brothers flatly refuse so abeg I gladly wear them myself.

There are clear androgynous elements to his brand anyway, so you can easily get away with wearing pieces from this collection methinks.

8. Beard gang

March 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm

European eccentric high fashion!!
    Are we sure every piece was manufactured and sourced in Lagos? ***skeptical***
    I could be a model …lol…I have the darker guy’s cheekbones
    Good pieces but expect denola grey to be your only Nigerian client

• sharon

March 18, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I’m really not hating but is Adebayo making any money? Do nigerian men buy these pieces? I’m yet to see people in them. Maybe it’s not for the Nigerian man. I do admire your persistent and originality!! Very rare in the fashion scene here. Kudos

• Jays

March 19, 2017 at 12:28 am

9. B

March 18, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Odikwegu.

10. artklub

March 18, 2017 at 8:13 pm

love!

11. Ighirighi1

March 18, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Fashion gbakwa oku!

12. tony

March 18, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Abeg, who buys his cloths?? very ill fitting…. like say na carpenter make am

13. LaModeExpose

March 19, 2017 at 5:17 am

That first look is everything! My two favorite colors – yellow and green! And the accessories are a really nice touch. I love when designers think outside the box and go against the status quo.

14. OA

March 19, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Certainly for a particular type or group of guys and I am sure they will really like it. However, the day any of you should catch my husband wearing any of these styles, just help me hold him down till I get there. He will either have a lot of explaining to do, or be referred.

15. Obi

March 20, 2017 at 3:31 am

Another hipster bullshit….Get these men real clothes..TF!!!

16. Obi

March 20, 2017 at 3:34 am

@ Jays – “”Those that have money will buy pieces not these hungry celebs looking for free clothes. I doubt Nigeria is the only target market & that is fibd.”

– please do me a favour and gerrarahere….shit…just shut the f**k up..nonsense yarns..