News

“We were dying of starvation”: Bauchi Mother of 6 Dumps her One day old Baby in Soakaway

Juliana James

The Bauchi State Police Command has arrested one Juliana James, an indigene of Shendan Local Government Area of Plateau State who lives in Guru village in the outskirt of Bauchi for dumping her one day old baby inside the soakaway.

Speaking to journalists while being paraded by the Command on Friday, Juliana, a mother of six said that hardship made her throw the baby away.

“Things are hard. My husband has no job. He had an accident three months ago. He is still in the hospital  and the situation became worse for us. We don’t see food to eat. We were dying of starvation. I delivered at home and threw the baby into the toilet because I didn’t know how we are going to take care of it. I didn’t tell my husband,” she said.

She said that when she could no longer bear the pain of hearing the child cry from the soakaway, she reported herself to her neighbours.

The baby was rescued and taken to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital where she is being treated.

Juliana was subsequently arrested.

Source: Vanguard

1. o

March 4, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Thank God the baby made it. Why ppl keep having children they can’t afford baffles me. I know some will say sex is the recreational game for the poor but they have to apply common sense. Bringing innocent children to suffer.

• Chartreuse

March 4, 2017 at 1:25 pm

You saw the part where she talked about hardship and how they can’t find food to eat and their sex life is your utmost concern.
      Over there, couples who don’t have kids yet are also dying of hunger.

• bunmi

March 4, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Please receive sense! What do you think continued intercourse between a married couple results in?

When their sex life results in the attempted murder of a one day old baby, it damn sure is of concern to anyone! How many times have we seen/heard of such incidents?

Its a similar issue with young girls who get pregnant and then either sell the child or dump the child in some canal somewhere.

Since its not ethical to tell people to copulate based on their financial capabilities, therefor family planning is key, the issue is making them accessible and free to the very poor.

• Ec

March 4, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Yes the sex life is utmost concern. You don’t have food to eat yet you and your partner don’t have sense to atleast pull out even if you say there was no money for condom.

Why bring kids to suffer because of sex. So dispicable

• FLeur

March 4, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Common sense is not so common when you are so dehumanized by poverty you have to throw away your child in a bucket of poop. they cannot afford drugs or liquor, they have no fulfilling jobs or anything that gives them a sense of accomplishment, so sex is their only source of endorphins, something our brains actually crave. Aisha Buhari, your future assured program has found its other calling – motherless babies home for the millions of children being born in this time of unprecedented economic hardship because they live in a country with an exclusive economy that works for very few.

• Lala

March 4, 2017 at 4:25 pm

@ ECI, what is this whole ‘pull out’ nonsense I keep reading on this blog. Is pull out the safest way to prevent pregnancy? Why can’t they use a condom?

There’s nothing wrong in married people using condoms and I consider it the most effective method as a married person myself. There is the patch and oral contraceptives but I have seen with many Nigerian ladies that their oral contraceptives failed them.

For goodness sake, people, use condoms o! Buy good ribbed condoms and you will get the same feel as when you have sex skin to skin.

Nigerian churches need to teach our women about contraceptives and family planning. It can’t be just bible only. Man is spirit, soul and body. Lord, what can I do to help?

I know from the past before I left Nigeria that some government hospitals in some states provide free family planning clinics where coils can be fitted. I spoke to a local tailor and she told me she got this service free at the central hospital in Warri, Delta state. I think I need to do something, some sort of enlightenment campaign because I am fed up of stories like this.

• EC

March 4, 2017 at 9:56 pm

@lala you are missing the point please read my comment again. If some people claim there is no money for condom and cannnot abstain then do the next best thing, pull out!!!!!! If there’s is no money for condom then there is certainly no money for birth control pills

• Anne

March 4, 2017 at 5:43 pm

You could have trusted God. Yes. You had the 6th baby and you feel bad. Why throw her away because of your present condition. Don’t you know the story of many rich people today. Baba Adeboye wore his first shoes as a teenager. Tetanus and infection should have snuffed life out of him. You need to be hopeful.

2. keke driver

March 4, 2017 at 2:09 pm

You don’t have food to eat, I’m sure you don’t know what family planning is or prolly you don’t know what condoms are used for abi? you try.

3. julie

March 4, 2017 at 3:59 pm

she is a bad mother. so many are out there looking for babies. she should have taken the baby toan orphanage for people to adopt

4. Bey

March 5, 2017 at 12:43 am

No food but so much strength to have sex. What bull crap.
    Instead of attempting to murder this baby. Why not put it in a carton and leave the baby at the entrance of a motherless babies/orphanage or good church. That’s even my anger here. Being poor is not an excuse to be wicked and heartless.
    Granted you don’t have the money , but atleast give the baby to someone that can take care of it. A lot of people are adopting nowadays.

5. Idomagirl

March 5, 2017 at 4:14 am

I was going to say the government should improve access to contraception, but based on personal experience, many people reject them.
    They are poor and can barely feed but will tell you “it is God’s will for us to have many children”, or “let me be having plenty, at least one of them will become rich”, “my husband says I must give him 8 children, all his brothers have 5, he wants to have more than them”…

We have problems.

6. artklub

March 5, 2017 at 9:11 am

how much does a 1 day old baby eat sef? its the bigger kids that eat a lot maybe u get rid of them first ma’am? just joking….condoms.