Events

#AsaEncore: 3 Hours of Pure Music! Here are the Highlights of Asa Live in Lagos Concert

Electrifying, World-class, Pure, Fire! These words define the 2017 edition of Asa‘s concert, Asa Live in Lagos Encore.

I don’t think one can quantify the energy this concert exuded. It was a breathtaking night of pure, amazing vocals and good music. See first photos HERE.

If you weren’t there, here are the main things you missed:

Opening acts – Funbi, Tay and Omolara
These guys are a breath of fresh air in the Nigerian music industry. The prepared the way for the vocal goddess – Asa.

The Vesta Violinists and Band

For two hours plus, Eko Hotel and Suites was on fire! Everyone caught it at some point. Some, like the lady and the guy in front of me, were on fire the whole night! While many may not understand the technicality of the music, everyone could attest to the fact that we heard good, unadulterated sound.

Asa featured the Vesta Violinists (a 30-piece ensemble), coupled with an amazing band that never went on break throughout the whole time.

Asa Serenades a Violinist

As Asa was performing Bibanke, she walked to one of the violinists, sat on his laps and teased him as she sang amazing scales. Well, dude was smiling and blushing all through. We bet he didn’t play music for those two glorious minutes.

Asa’s Performance

You won’t be wrong if you describe the whole event as one very BIG highlight. With Asa’s vocal dexterity, coupled with dance moves in between, there sure wasn’t a dull moment.

No lip syncing, just raw talent. We were the only ones who lip-synced (especially the guy and lady in front of me) throughout the night and understandably so.

In between her performance, she also shared inspiring messages from her personal experience.

She talked about how she had to wait 10 hours at an audition in France with the cold, hungry and fatigue hitting her from every side. She was tempted to go home but she didn’t. She was later called to perform for 2 minutes and those 120 seconds were all she needed.

She was taken and later, five record labels jostled to sign her. That was how the success story, which is still being written, began.

She then asked: “What if I didn’t wait for that audition?” Remember the guy who sat in front of me? He replied her saying, “You for still blow! You too much!”

This was indeed an event of international repute. No one could sit for more than a few minutes per time. At one point I leaned to the person seated beside me to ask a question, only to find out that she was lost in the music. “God forbid I spoil this moment for her,” I said to myself.

Asa Shares what she thinks of Becoming if Music Does not Work

Yeah, she was joking. How can this music not work? Well, she said she had thought of being a preacher’s wife, a tailor, and an (insignificant) part of a marching band.

“So this music must work oh,” she said before delving into Rihanna‘s hit “Work,” for a few seconds.

Asa Praises Nigerian music

She also praised other Nigerian music acts for representing the country well on the international scene. She shared a story of how her taxi driver in China asked of her nationality and she said Nigeria. “That means you know Davido?” She quoted the man as saying, adding that he also praised Nigerian songs.

She also talked about how Nigerians are mistaken for Nigeriens, especially in the Middle east.

We want more!

After she performed Jailer, it looked as if the show had come to an end, but the audience wasn’t having any of that. “We want more,” someone screamed, and in no time we all joined.

Well, she performed two more songs and we loved every bit of the “extra time”.

Asa Performing #BBNaija winner Efe’s “Who I be?” signature Pose

Yep! Big Brother Naija 2017 is still trending. At the end of the show, when Asa was acknowledging all those that made the show a success, she made Efe‘s (the winner of the reality show) signature pose for his “Who I be?” slogan.

She leaned backwards, bent her knees slightly and screamed “Who I be?”

The pose and slogan depicts appreciation for unmerited favour.

P.S: Almost everyone lost their voices! Plus I know of at least one person that joined Asa’s fanbase last night!

Photo Credit: Twitter/Instagram

1. Moniker

April 30, 2017 at 7:36 am

Awwwwwww.
    Awesome
    Breathtaking.
    Asa is in a class of her own. Even if the ticket go reach 1million naira, emi shi ma lo fun show Asa yi. Maybe not now, but eventually. #whoyounobe?

• A Real Nigerian

April 30, 2017 at 9:04 am

Breathtaking? I believe the word you’re looking for is “boring”.

• Californiabawlar

April 30, 2017 at 10:24 am

They released you again… elections back boo ?

• LemmeRant

April 30, 2017 at 1:38 pm

@ARN

How’s your day. You obviously have very very high standards. That’s not a bad thing. But I for one would like to see your works(whatever it is)

See having high standards is the easy part. Living up to those standards is where shit becomes real. Not everyone wants to be mediocre. I know Nigerians who right now who if they had their way and got the right support would be working on self driving cars, but they have abandon that and face reality.

This is why I’ve asked to see your works. If my profile of you is correct, then you’re b/w the ages 17 – 23. At that age we usually have big dreams and extremely high standards but you’ll come to realize only few are lucky to attain such standards. This is when empathy sets in and you will start appreciating people who are trying to be different and true especially in an unforgiving and unrewarding environment like that of Nigeria. Just yesterday someone complained about how BBN winner EFE basically hot a Kings treatment for doing nothing/almost nothing. That is the society we live in. look at all the entrepreneurs BN keeps throwing in our face, its either one makeup artist or one fashion designer. And this is a country where are people are starving, where there is no infrastructure, no power, no clean water. But Aso ebi, Mascara and contour is our priority.

If you actually try to be different, not just sitting behind a computer and venting, You’ll realize how hard it is and then you’ll appreciate the likes of ASA who inspite of the harsh environment have thrived.

• Seriously

May 1, 2017 at 3:09 am

Why are you so miserable though? If you know real music boring won’t be the word to describe Asa’s music.
      Heres a suggestion, get a glass of wine, relax and read “How to be happy” by Eleanor Davis with Asa’s music playing in the background.
      Thank me later.

• Femi

May 1, 2017 at 8:29 am

What’s your email address?
      I will like to send you a 20 seconds clip from Asa’s concert that’s more interesting than your entire existence.

• Amara

May 1, 2017 at 11:59 am

! I know people are entitled to their opinion but this is not an opinion just foolish talk.
      Asa is in a league of her own. Go see Asa live, you will appreciate her music more.
      Her music is not noise, but something that feeds your soul. Her lyrics are superb and deep. She’s a great storyteller. She plays instrument.
      My husband listens to her music non stop. I’ve had non Nigerians, ask me to translate some lyrics. And I tell them I don’t understand Yoruba.
      Despite being Igbo and husband is British, Asa is an artist we both enjoy.
      I get upset when some Nigerians don’t know who she is and appreciate her talent.

• Kelly

May 4, 2017 at 12:11 am

If you don’t like Asa, just say it. Not downplay her talent. Asa is very talented. When I hear her music at Starbucks sometimes, I just smile to myself. Her band is amazing. She’s underrated and want the whole world to know her music.
      I will like to know when she’s touring in the states NY or New England specifically.

2. isaobi

April 30, 2017 at 8:33 am

The truth is that ASA is a living legend. It is a pity that the music media in Nigeria are not celebrating her the way they are doing to Tuface Idibia and Don Jazzy, for instance. Headies Award organisers should not forget her when they are bestowing this year’s Distinguished Artiste Honors award.

• A Real Nigerian

April 30, 2017 at 9:01 am

She is massively overrated by the so-called Nigerian elite who claim to be sophisticated and different just because she is not as bad as the usual garbage you get from Nigerian musicians.
      And that’s the best you can say about Asa, “not as bad”. She is mediocre while the others are downright terrible. That, in my opinion, is nothing to be proud of.
      Vocals are meh, lyrics are generic, production is also meh. Living legend? Pfft! She is not even a decent talent. She’s a low energy artist and that is being generous.

• ayda

April 30, 2017 at 9:23 am

Thunder fire you. Talking arrant nonsense

• White

April 30, 2017 at 11:07 am

Did she snatch your bf or husband…besides how many female artist do we have in Nigeria compared to the male artist…make una dey surpport yourselves…WITCH!

• Mof

April 30, 2017 at 11:34 am

We should all get to that pont where we realise that people are entitled to their opinions. You do not have to agree with their opinion (s) and hurling of insults is totally unnecessary.

• George Esame

April 30, 2017 at 12:35 pm

I’m a Cameroonian and I must say I’m in complete shock to hear someone call ASA overrated. A woman whom to me I think is one of the most talented ppl in the WORLD!! U should be ashamed of ur self. And I live in d us, u don’t even know d impact this woman has on ppl.

• survivor

April 30, 2017 at 2:35 pm

@RN,abeg ASA is cool

• Lola

April 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm

This may just be signs of a depressed person, advice u seek help from a professional to be sure

• Idomagirl

May 2, 2017 at 1:06 pm

She’s not overrated.
      It’s not by force to be contrary all the time, contrary to what you might think being a contrarian just for the sake of it doesn’t mean you’re smarter or more logical than the rest, infact it is evidence of some deep seated insecurity and a desire for attention.

• Kez

April 30, 2017 at 9:46 am

Most of them like noise and vibration, not real rhythmic music like Asa the hawk.

3. Marian

April 30, 2017 at 9:14 am

Asa!!! Le boo and I love this lady like kilode! Still hoping Asa and Brymo will do a song together.

• funmilola

April 30, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Not only you Marian, can’t wait to see them perform together.

4. Kez

April 30, 2017 at 9:49 am

Eh yah. You need help. How distinct are you in your field? Such a sickening comment.

5. Ene

April 30, 2017 at 11:39 am

It had to be almost the same time. Asa and Anthony Joshua,reminding us of what we have lost to another country. The one that would break my heart totally would be Divine Oduduru running for USA @ the next Olympics.

6. John Matilda

April 30, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Errm @ real Nigerian if Asa is just basic and overrated, please can you give examples of talented Nigerian musicians……

7. Jean17

April 30, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Asa is actually underrated. The concert was amazing. Amazing vocals, quality production, no cd playing in the background.

The orchestra playing did a great job too, and surprisingly they are home grown.

I was actually impressed.

8. Jess

April 30, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Yesterday night was magic. Asa is brillant, like the post rightly stated,every moment was a highlight.

9. Blueberry

April 30, 2017 at 1:39 pm

If ever I get the opportunity to go to this woman’s concert, I will pay for that ticket,no matter how much it costs cause she is EPIC???

10. funmilola

April 30, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Asa of life…..always amazing.

11. chimobi

April 30, 2017 at 2:16 pm

@lemmerant…….i think you are part of the few people left on BN not aware ARN is sugabelly …..she writes and draws a little…..google her,

• Bia

April 30, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Those Kogi boys are evil. They damaged the poor girl.

• Idomagirl

May 2, 2017 at 1:10 pm

@Bia, this comment is absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for.

• Positive vibes

April 30, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Why do you choose to do this? How do you know ARN is sugabelly? I hate it when people say things with such certainty, never minding that they’re just guessing. It’s not nice. Stop disseminating lies because you happen to think it’s true. It’s not fair.

12. Ghostmode

April 30, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I have seen ASA play out of Nigeria and to tell you that was one of my proud Nigerian moment! My colleagues who were non-Nigerians were blown away. At the end of the concert everyone wanted more. Asa is in a class of her own, her music is definitely not for everyone. You have to understand good music to connect with her.

13. The mummy juggle

April 30, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I saw ASA live in Cologne, Germany in 2008. That was a great concert and a proud Nigerian moment! I had a few colleagues with me and they all loved it and got her CDs. She is likely underrated in Nigeria. She get radio play in Europe – I was shocked the first time I heard her.

14. A

April 30, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Whoever thinks Asa is overrated is actually of low standards to me. Being able to string some words together on here so you come off sounding intelligent/enlightened with a bit of penmanship, while degrading another is actually pathetic.
    She is making waves internationally,selling out arenas even as she hasn’t released anything new in two years or more. If you have any negative thing to say about her craft and delivery,review your classification of “standards”.
    She is one of the people our country is proud of. A breath of fresh air with negative news constantly following us. Nigeria to the World!! Africa to the World.

• Positive vibes

April 30, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I think I like you A. Very constructive.

• A

May 1, 2017 at 9:24 am

Thanks Positive vibes.

15. Jo

April 30, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Some people just like to dim other people’s light, not realizing that it won’t help them shine brighter. Depression is real, one can never tell the extent to which it can drive someone to do things that show instability.

ARN, you need love cos it’s obvious you have a void in your heart. I will be praying for you. I need you to know that God loves you. Regardless of what you think, His love never disappoints.

16. Lonely Girl...

April 30, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion…. show was awesome. QED. If you feel otherwise…. good for you. Kindly stage your performance. The sky is large enough for everybody including VicO or what do they call him.

• Idomagirl

May 2, 2017 at 1:09 pm

VicO has even faded, it’s Amoshine that is reigning now ????

17. Inspired

May 27, 2017 at 7:08 pm

@ everyone that spoke well of Asa God bless you and make you bigger… it only take does with undiluteed minds like you to really know what is good, and not just good but best like dat of Asa’s music. and for dose saying sumtin contrary.. i hope you see the light sumday… @ lemme rant i feel you, @ mummy juggle you are right and @ Femi u made my day on your comment… also very constructive write up from the author you too much Nonso..#GodBlessAsa #GBA