News

Do Kids Really Need to Do Homework? This Facebook User says No!

BellaNaija.com

Homework battles have raged for decades, with many parents claiming that the demerits are more than the merits. While it is seen as an integral part of learning, stakeholders say it puts too much pressure on kids.

Author and blogger Bunmi Laditan, who lives in Quebec, Canada earlier in the week, shared a screenshot of an email she sent to her 10-year daughter’s teachers on Facebook over what she described as stressful and unnecessary homework.

She shared the image above and wrote:

My kid is done with homework. I just sent an email to her school letting her know she’s all done. I said “drastically reduce” but I was trying to be polite because she’s finished.

My 10-year-old loves learning. She independently reads 10-12 chapter books a year and regularly researches topics that interest her (right now she’s writing a story about wolves). She takes coding classes, loves painting, and likes something called Roblox that I don’t fully understand. But over the past four years I’ve noticed her getting more and more stressed when it comes to school. And by stressed I mean chest pains, waking up early, and dreading school in general.

She’s in school from 8:15am-4pm daily so someone please explain to me why she should have 2-3 hours of homework to do every night?

How does homework until 6:30, then dinner, then an hour to relax (or finish the homework) before bed make any sense at all?

Is family time not important? Is time spent just being a child relaxing at home not important? Or should she become some kind of junior workaholic at 10 years old?

Did you know that in Finland homework is banned? And that they have the highest rate of college bound students in all of Europe? Children do not need hours of homework time to succeed yet we act like sitting at a kitchen table after a full day at school somehow makes sense. It does not. IT DOES NOT. IT. DOES. NOT.

Children need downtime after school the same way adults need downtime after work. They need to play with their siblings. They need to bond with their parents in a relaxed atmosphere, not one where everyone is stressed about fractions because – SURPRISE- I’m not a teacher. Children need time to just enjoy their childhoods or is that just for the weekends (although we do homework on Sundays also).

My kid is all done with homework. If the school wants to punish her for it, then I guess I’ll have to figure out how to homeschool. I’m very nervous about it because although I work from home, I do work. I also have a 3-year-old who only goes to preschool two mornings a week. And a 7-year-old in second grade. I’ll have to hire a tutor to help me and will need to find a group of parents doing the same thing, but I have no choice at this point.

We all want our children to grow up and succeed in the world. While I believe in education, I don’t believe for one second that academics should consume a child’s life. I don’t care if she goes to Harvard one day. I just want her to be intelligent, well-rounded, kind, inspired, charitable, spiritual and have balance in her life. I want her to be mentally and emotionally healthy. I want her to know that work is not life, it’s part of life. Work will not fulfill you. It will not keep you warm- family, friends, community, giving back, and being a good person do that.

I suppose I’ll hear from her school tomorrow. We have some decisions to make. But going forward, this is a homework-free household and I don’t care who knows it. My kid needs to be a kid.

Bunmi’s meeting with the school management probably didn’t hold the next day, as another post on her page dated April 27, 2017, read in part:

On Monday morning, I’m meeting with my child’s school to discuss homework and a couple of other topics that deeply concern me. Logically, I know they can only do so much. They have a board to answer to. They have their own objectives to meet. The school doesn’t work directly for my family. I’m getting tired of feeling like THAT ANNOYING PARENT all the time but when I know in my heart and mind something isn’t right, I can’t let it go.

1. LL

April 30, 2017 at 9:38 pm

It’s good to know someone feels my concern too, this home work issue is becoming very stressful, it’s homework everyday and project every weekend for my 4 year old and my 18months old babies, haba, i do not know if it is to justify the school fees, i wish Ministry of Education can intervene to either ban it or at least reduce it to once a week

2. Enny Heart Heart

April 30, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I literally badgered my 6 year old nephew’s teacher over this not two days ago.
    His homework last Wednesday included 5 pages of quantitative reasoning. 5 pages as in back and front ×5!! Then there was Smart mathematics, and two other homework books. To be completed before dinner at 8pm and bed time at 9. He’s in school from 8am to 3pm.

It’s just unnecessary. For real.
    Wish I could post the note I sent to her. Please teachers take it easy on these kids. They don’t even have time to be children anymore.
    Omg I could go on

3. funmilola

April 30, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Wow!
    And here I am angry that my neighbor’s children hardly have homework, they come back from school, eat and stay glued to zee world till it’s time for bed….. they know all the names of actors in each soap opera and it’s sad.
    I advocate for homework but it shouldn’t be too much abeg, after spending so much time in school, you need rest at home and bond with the rest of the family.

• omaa

May 1, 2017 at 10:23 pm

why would kids watch zee world

4. Bad gang

April 30, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Home work isn’t a bad idea…the objective is to solidify concepts they learn in school and help them apply the concepts in different situations; it is sort of proof that pupils/students understand fully and excellently what they have been thought…I’d like my kids to have homework which should be commensurate with their grades(classes), recommended abilities and ages…I certainly don’t want my 8 year old doing 20pages of arithmetic everyday or learning some advanced calculations…moderation is key! Let kids take one step at a time please

• Bad gang

May 1, 2017 at 1:12 am

Taught not thought…omg! Lol

5. Canada

April 30, 2017 at 11:02 pm

In my neck of the woods,Alberta, homework is not compulsory.

6. Tamales

April 30, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Bunmi is crazy…and I love her . She’s got a great sense of humor. Can’t wait to read her new book.

7. BlazersandBaby

May 1, 2017 at 12:18 am

Lol! I’m this mum, though. My kids aren’t doing homework till they’re 7. Please. I can’t pay school fees money, go to work and still come back in the evening to be doing work with pikin.

8. OJ

May 1, 2017 at 12:53 am

When its time to write waec exam, its you same parents that will use your hand and pay hefty sums for them to pass…..afterwards you will say they are half backed graduates

• Ottawa Queen

May 1, 2017 at 1:06 am

You seem not to get the point. At age 10 that’s still elementary school, right? That’s still a child right? She’s focused on how the workload is too much for the child. You can give a child homework but don’t overload the child with it till the extent it terrifies the child every day. I agree with her that a child still needs some family time to bond in a relaxed mood with the family.

• molarah

May 1, 2017 at 8:44 pm

But is this not the opportunity to teach the child stress management techniques? Because on this green earth, stress is not going away – it just takes other forms and shapes as we grow. We adults tend to place too much on childhood – such that we create this deceptive cocoon for kids to live in. We would like to avoid a situation where the child finally moves out of their parent’s nest and is unable to cope in the real world because their parents fought all the dragons off and never allowed them to learn how to fight for themselves. We that grew up with “tiger parents” know where the stress the Facebook user is referring to is coming from: she should own up and face up to facts. When you notice you have a perfectionist, type A child you make out time to teach them to stop and smell the roses, teach them the balance between taking learning seriously and having fun in the process, help them relax and teach them how to recognise stress and break away from such patterns when they occur. Of course, where I agree with this parent is if there is a homework for literally every class and every homework is a project they need adult intervention for. Lai lai. That’s not why I’m paying school fees. That nonsense has to stop.

9. Not Bitter Kola

May 1, 2017 at 6:56 am

A child definitely needs to be a child. Home work on the weekends is fine, but over load for week days can be overwhelming. Schools should aim for developing well rounded pupils and not stuffing their brain with quantitative reasoning ET Al . Our Nigerians schools don’t help either, 18 months old having homework? So that what? ?

10. Fifi

May 1, 2017 at 9:24 am

To me Nigerian school teachers are lazy, my first is in year one and the homework already is really for me and her dad to do, i have a couple of nieces and nephews in St Saviours and they get homework everyday so what do they do in school because half of the things they bring home they dont even understand, and the Maths methods of nowadays is not the simple arithmetic or mathematics i did oooo so i see my sis- inlaws researching and trying to understand the new method, not looking forward to it at all

11. Adunnie

May 1, 2017 at 9:52 am

Oh gosh I so love this mum. I remember when I used to help my little cousins(8 yrs) with their homework. And they’ll bring out like 5 books each with a minimum of 3 pages(front and back which is a total of 6 pages for one subject) and come and ask me to put them through. Even me sef I will be tired before I can get to my own silly assignment from senior school. I just used to pity them. You’re in school before 8 and you don’t leave till 4pm and annoying teachers who go home to sleep will give you tons of homework it will take them days to assess and mark. Homework should be scrapped or significantly reduced because the truth is most students don’t even really learn from it. They just do it so they don’t get punished the next day. I hated assignment from primary to secondary school even in university I hated it more.

12. Mrs Kush

May 1, 2017 at 5:58 pm

My 2 year old get’s home work DAILY. Most of the time I don’t even bother stressing her, I’ve perfected the art of writing like a toddler. #notime

• mela

May 1, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Hahahhahha. Dis cracked me up. Is more like d teachers give the parents homework

• omaa

May 1, 2017 at 10:24 pm

lol that’s not nice

• Dee

May 2, 2017 at 8:56 am

lol…you are cray cray.

13. BB

May 2, 2017 at 3:58 pm

It is such a shame to our school system. The kids are bombarded with so much unuseful information that when they are done with school, they are not able to remember most of what they “learnt”. There should be a way to check school owners and their curriculums for primary level.