News

“Does my sassiness upset you?” – Serena Williams Responds to Ilie Nastase’s Racist Comment

Serena Williams_BellaNaija

Serena Williams

Serena Williams took to Instagram to respond to comments made by Ilie Nastase regarding her pregnancy. She wrote:

It disappoints me to know we live in a society where people like Ilie Nastase can make such racist comments towards myself and my unborn child. I humbly thank the ITF for any consideration given to all the facts in this case.

I have said it once and I’ll say it again, this world has come so far but yet we have so much further to go…. I am not afraid unlike you. You see, I am no coward. Does my sassiness upset you? Why are you beset with gloom? You may shoot me with your words … you may try to kill me with your hatefulness, but still like air, I rise.

Last week, Nastase, in response to Williams’ pregnancy announcement, said at a press conference, “Let’s see what colour it has… Chocolate with milk?”

According to USA Today, Nastase was unrepentant after being suspended from the Fed Cup for abusing the British team and the referee in a playoff.

Nastase, the Romania captain, also didn’t believe that his remarks about the unborn child of Williams were racist.

“I want to know what word I used is racist?” he asked the Associated Press by phone on Monday from Budapest, Hungary. He also said he was a friend of Williams.

To further get her point across about standing up to Nastase harsh words, Williams also quoted Maya Angelou’s poem “Still I Rise” in the social media post.

✊?

A post shared by Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) on

Photo credit: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

1. Nat

April 25, 2017 at 12:51 am

Queen of slay!! simply G.O. A.T

2. Author Unknown

April 25, 2017 at 4:59 am

Serena sef must like drama. The statement may be racial, but it’s not in my opinion racist. You may find it offensive, but racist?, nah. Calling Venus a gorilla, and hiding behind “guerilla” is what I would consider racist. Nastase is still a nuisance though.

• Vibe

April 25, 2017 at 6:20 am

It’s very racist to be compared with chocolate and milk. It’s racist to a mixed person. Here, her baby is the victim. And it irks to know that shades are already being thrown to an unborn child

• Mannie

April 25, 2017 at 10:28 am

I don’t buy that. Is it racist to say to a black person that her colour is a bit “caramel-like”, or racist to say to a white person that he looks like a ghost? All these are just petty and there’s nothing to look for here. The man was not wrong to ponder on the complexion of Serena’s baby.

• abby

April 25, 2017 at 12:16 pm

That u do not find the statement racist is racist! “Lets see what color it has, chocolate with milk”?

3. andtherewasone

April 25, 2017 at 7:37 am

I may be naive but I think its disrespectful to classify an unborn child as IT.

• Beg to differ

April 25, 2017 at 9:23 am

It actually isnt. The child has no name yet. It’s an IT for now till its born.

• Mzbells

April 25, 2017 at 10:06 am

On the contrary, it isn’t offensive since the sex is unknown.

4. Bad gang

April 25, 2017 at 9:32 am

Must people comment on other people’s skin colour or body shape etc? You know how the world is today, nothing about skin colour is taken lightly… your intentions were probably not out of prejudice, maybe you were trying to be hilarious but it fell flat and shattered…don’t expect to get off easy, americans are very dramatic and exude exaggerated sensitivity

5. A

April 25, 2017 at 1:43 pm

No offense but what is the proper term? As I do not yet know if the baby is a he or a she?

6. EbonyFre

April 25, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Generally speaking, a lot of Eastern Europeans are racist AF! Waaah?!

7. Jc

April 25, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Problem is, Ilie was joking, what is so bad about calling a mixed baby, milk chocolate. But in the early 90s, Serena forgot how her own dear father, who I’m sure she loves, called another Romanian player, Spirlea, a white ugly turkey. Someone should teach Serena that racism does not only apply to blacks.

• cleobriggs

April 26, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Actually if you know better, racism in its pure context is between the perceived “upper class” to a lower class. So no, white people can never suffer racism because you see, its a prejudice and always will be that the caucus clan set if from the beginning of time that they are superior soooo they can suffer from other stuff but surely are not qualified to be deemed as RACIST. Try reading more. Ilie is a well known a**hole, disrespectful and cynical. Its mostly the context in which he used it, add that to his history of racist and sexually offensive and degrading remarks towards women hence the reaction. I hope this has opened up you mind like hot pepper soup opens up sinus. Jah Bless