News

ITF Investigating Former Tennis Champion Ilie Nastase’s Alleged Racist Comments on Serena Williams’ Pregnancy

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has said that it is investigating comments made by Ilie Nastase, 70, former Tennis world number one and captain of the Romanian Tennis team.

Mirror UK reports that he made the comments on the eve of Romania’s Fed Cup play-off against Great Britain.

Nastase, speaking in Romanian, made the comment to the other players while the country’s number one Simona Halep was answering a question about Serena Williams.

Serena Williams recently announced that she is expecting a child with her fiance Alexis Ohanian, who is white. She also said that she is taking the 2017 season off.

“Let’s see what colour it has. Chocolate with milk?” Nastase was reportedly heard saying.

He also reportedly made made inappropriate remarks to Great Britain captain Anne Keothavong.

“Having asked for her room number during the official dinner on Thursday, Nastase then repeated the request when the captains posed together for photographs following Friday’s draw,” Mirror UK wrote.

According to BBC, the ITF is investigating the case.

The ITF does not tolerate discriminatory and offensive language and behaviour of any kind. We are aware of alleged comments made by Romanian captain Ilie Nastase and have begun an immediate investigation so that we have the full facts of the situation before taking further and appropriate action,” BBC quoted an ITF spokesperson as saying.

Nastase was appointed captain of the Romania team in October and is a former president of the country’s tennis federation.

The Romanian tennis federation declined to comment on the issue.

1. Bad gang

April 22, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Abeg ban him for life like Donald Sterling

• Rollie

April 23, 2017 at 12:27 am

And to think I used to like this guy…

2. Author Unknown

April 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm

That’s not racist as to warrant an investigation. He was thinking out aloud, what everyone else (including Serena) is likely thinking. Nothing harm intended, I want to believe.

• Ajala & Foodie

April 22, 2017 at 7:40 pm

@ Author Unknown, . It is extremely sad that what Martin Luther said in 1963 said ” I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin….” still holds true today, I.e we are yet to see that day. When all you can think of an unborn child is the color of his/her skin then you have already began judging that child.

To anyone I.e both Author unknown and anyone that likes your comment, that believes this statement does not warrant investigation AND disciplinary actions, then you are either people of colors with extremely low self esteem, who are so insecure about the color of their skin or Caucasian who know nothing (and choose to know nothing about racism).

With your narrow minded statement “what everyone else (including Serena) is thinking” , you have not only succeeded in insulting Serena’s intelligence but that of every one who has heard about her pregnancy. I, for one can assure you that prior to reading your response that never crossed my mind. I am certain the least of Serena’s worries is the color of her baby’s skin. When there are things like the health of not just your unborn child but of yourself to worry about, ensuring your are able to give your child the very best in life to ensure they reach their maximum potential and more importantly, hoping that because of people like yourself and this Mister your child is able to live in a world free of discrimination because of his/her religion, race or sex. SMH!!!! Racism is alive and well my people.

• Author Unknown

April 22, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Perhaps you should take your own advise and not judge (and anyone else who agrees with my comment) as ignoramuses, or people with low self esteem. If you want to be a civil rights activist over an issue as simple as what a child would look like, from a racial perspective, please go ahead. Any expectant couple will no doubt wonder what their child will look like. Will he or she look like mummy, or daddy? A little bit of both? Grandma, uncle? When the child is from a mixed race relationship, the fact that mummy and daddy look so different will also play a role. It’s completely harmless and non-judgemental, and is a genetic reality. It’s an exciting part of the pregnancy process to imagine these things. Of course having a healthy baby is paramount, but people spend 9 months wondering about other things.

• Ajala & Foodie

April 23, 2017 at 8:12 pm

@ Author Unknown, judge you say? No, ain’t nobody got time for that, I simply stated a fact and your response buttresses my point.

1) You are one given to myopic generalization as shown not only in your first comment “Everyone including Serena…” and even to your defense I.e response to my comment ” Any expectant couple will in no doubt”. Kindly desist from insulting others intelligence based on your own mindset. You talk about people thinking will baby look like mum or daddy NOT in terms of color I.e will my baby be black, white or “milk chocolate”. Did you think in those terms when the Carters (Beyonce and Jay-z) or when the Beckham’s announced they were expecting? I doubt that. So why should it be the case now????Oh maybe you think racism is a black vs. white thing. No racism is your inability to view humans beyond the color of their skin and that includes bi-racial couples and their kids. Or I forgot your argument is what again? That this has NOTHING to do with race? I don’t think so, like I said you just buttressed my point.

2) “if you are going to be a civil rights activist based on a baby looks” well, the last I heard civil rights activists are called activists because of their willingness to fight for others AND not themselves. In addition, the civil rights movements is based on race i.e based on skin color I.e looks. So if my fighting for the unfair judgements of a baby based on his/her parents looks makes me a civil rights activist then that’s a badge I will proudly bear.

3) Lastly,, in case you are unaware, racism does not have to do with ONLY racial slurs, No racism like any other type of discrimination is a mind set, a mind set based on a myopic and ignorant way of thinking that is built on over time. The same way of thinking that does not see anything wrong in what this Mister said.

Anyway, I rest my case.

• Rollie

April 23, 2017 at 12:25 am

Spoken like the original cunt that you are.

3. keke driver

April 22, 2017 at 5:26 pm

See His nose….smh

4. Anon

April 22, 2017 at 5:47 pm

He was kicked off court today during the Fed Cup match between Romania and Great Britain. Nutter.

5. Baby gurl

April 22, 2017 at 6:42 pm

u guys better edit that first sentence.

• combust

April 22, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I tire!!

• o

April 22, 2017 at 8:47 pm

??? BN of life

6. funmilola

April 22, 2017 at 8:14 pm

And then someone will come and say racism doesn’t exist…

7. Mahka

April 23, 2017 at 2:44 am

Racism is alive; they just be concealing it…He looks like a perv too.