News

I didn’t Support Buhari in 2015, I only Opposed Jonathan – Obasanjo

Olusegun Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said that he wasn’t part of Muhammadu Buhari’s supporters during the 2015 election campaign trail, adding that he was only against the emergence of Goodluck Jonathan.

The revelation was made in the book, “Against the Run of Play – How an incumbent president was defeated in Nigeria,” written by the Chairman of the THISDAY Editorial Board, Olusegun Adeniyi

“I didn’t join them in supporting Buhari; I joined in opposing Jonathan. So, Buhari was just a beneficiary of my opposition to Jonathan since my position was AOBJ: meaning Any Option But Jonathan,” Obasanjo said.

See excerpts published by Vanguard.

On Why he Supported Jonathan in 2011

I saw the emergence of Jonathan as an opportunity to solve the problem of minority agitation. The three majority ethnic groups in Nigeria can always sort themselves out but not so for the minority. A good example is my state here in Ogun.

Despite the best of intentions, nobody from Ogun West has been able to become governor because of this minority issue and it will take a conscious effort to make it happen. So, it was in the context of that I had to plead with prominent people in the North to allow Jonathan run for a term.

Obasanjo Said he Warned Jonathan not to Appoint Diezani Alison-Madueke as Petroleum Minister

There were certain decisions taken by Jonathan very early in his administration that pointed to the fact that the office was bigger than him and one of them was the appointment of a petroleum minister. Jonathan gave me the impression that he was not going to give her the portfolio but at the end he did and we can see the consequence. He, of course, knew what he was doing.

1. Anon

April 27, 2017 at 9:19 pm

What’s the difference? Rhetorical question.

2. kkay

April 27, 2017 at 9:51 pm

You ain’t tired of telling lies?

3. nnenne

April 28, 2017 at 1:05 am

Sir Obasanjo, please grow some balls and face. Buhari!!!
    Jonathan is no longer the president of . Nigeria.

How about you continuing with your letter writing?
    We need letter writing now, more than ever before!
    Stop these distractions and get to work/writing.

Nigerians are not fools. Stop playing with our intelligence.

4. James

April 28, 2017 at 5:16 am

If you ever imagined the perfect human being, it’s Mr. Obasanjo. He knows everything and always have an answer to every political issue facing Nigeria.

Ever had that someone double-talks, that’s Mr. Obasanjo. Never admits to any fault.

5. I'd

April 28, 2017 at 6:30 am

All hail, mr know-it-all!

6. Nuna

April 28, 2017 at 9:08 am

Obasanjo is the original 2Face

7. amaa

April 28, 2017 at 12:33 pm

When an old man speaks with both sides of his mouth what is he called . Now they put in their original plan into action to make the VP president they all knew Bubu was sick and senile yet they when ahead to dump him on a sick country. Kontinu

8. Prince shofolahon bola oridota

April 30, 2017 at 10:57 am

All I know is that I want vice president to give me try about the economy of Nigeria I can do it better. Thanks. Bola Otis