News

New Passport Holders will need NDLEA Certificate to Get Indonesian Visa – Envoy

Harry Purwanto. Photo Credit: The Guardian

Nigerians with new passports seeking to travel to Indonesia will need to present a certificate of recommendation from the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), among other documents to process their visas.

Indonesian Ambassador to Nigeria, Harry Purwanto, said that that the new visa policy, was in line with global measures to promote safety for its citizens.

He said that it was reviewed in October 2016.

He, however said that it was easier for those with frequently-used passports to get visas.

He explained that applicants seeking to travel to Indonesia also need to be invited or have certain recommendations to visit that country.

The envoy added that the policy had made visa application process for Nigerians “quite tough” but added that it was for the safety of all.

“We (the embassy) could authorise the issuance of visas without having to get in touch with Jakarta but since October 2016, we have to send visa applications from here to Jakarta for approval.”

“We here can make only recommendations on visa applications, especially if applicants have programmes to undertake in Indonesia, but it is at the discretion of authorities in Jakarta to approve the visas that will be issued,” Purwanto said.

He also said that about 2000 visas were issued to Nigerians in 2016.

Purwanto also said that in 2015, the embassy issued 2000 visas.

He further said that both countries were working on programmes that could enhance people-to-people relations adding that such relations would promote understanding between both cultures.

“We have about 50 Nigerian students in Indonesia, some under scholarship, and they serve as ambassadors for Nigeria there. The Nigerian community in the country is not so large that is why crimes committed by a few could tarnish the image of others.”

Purwanto, however, assured that both governments were working to change such bias.

Photo Credit: The Guardian

1. Dele

April 4, 2017 at 1:21 pm

The more reason I won’t go to Indonesia

• Ajala & Foodie

April 4, 2017 at 3:29 pm

@ Dele, i am certain Indonesians have no problem with you not visiting their country (I mean they tightened their already tough policy for a reason). This is what happens when we don’t take responsibility for our actions (our problems). We can argue that there are drug traffickers in many countries but how many of them actually take this nonesense outside the shores of their countries? Even in neighboring Ghana ??, Nigerians are known for drug trafficking, As well as many other African Countries. My point is we are the reason these countries are marginalizing the green passport and we need to own up to it instead of playing victims here.

I am not certain what the solution is (because most of the time, these individuals are driven by greed) but i know it is not doing something as passive and lame as trying to play the victim card. Our people did this to us, not ?? or ?? or ??. Taking responsibility is the first step in finding a solution.

2. anonymous

April 4, 2017 at 4:26 pm

My question is, how can one get the visa if for genuine reasons? Every travel agent I know says they don’t process Indonesian visas.

3. Benito

April 4, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Where do Nigerian govt officials come up with shit like this. Another good reason why I’ve stopped messing with the Nigerian passport. You come through with that shitty passport all eyes will be on you.

• Benito

April 4, 2017 at 9:58 pm

The real question is where or how does Nigeria come up with such buffoons or baboons as leaders/govt officials. How is an NDLEA certificate gonna stop anything. And having lived in Nigeria most of my life once money $$$$ changes hands you can easily get the NDLEA certificate. SMDH

4. Ewa Ali

April 4, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Lol

5. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

April 4, 2017 at 6:38 pm

What’s in Indonesia anyway. No amount of persuasion will ever make me travel to that Country. Our government should take retaliative measures against any Indonesian travelling to Nigeria period. We are not all drug traffickers. Indonesian government should instead reform their criminal laws to deal with the issue of drug tracking in their Country. Instead of this one size fit it all approach bullshit. If any Nigerian run afoul of your law. Such Nigerian be dealt with appropriately without being shown any mercy. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.

• Tres chic

April 5, 2017 at 11:19 am

What are you talking about? I tried to get a visa to visit Indonesia last month, I was told I need approval from the Director general of immigration in Indonesia even with my green card,I decided to go to Singapore instead same thing Nigeria is on a black list and I need to know someone in Singapore who would invite me. We have a problem and of this trend continues we will continue to be barred from countries and would be severely restricted on locations for legitimate business and personal trips. I dont know why you would never visit but south east asia including indonesia is a really nice holiday destination and on my previous trip to that region I have visited local farms and industries to get business ideas since they share similar climate with Nigeria.

6. ec

April 5, 2017 at 7:48 am

unfortunately our brothers that go there to sell drugs are to blame.
    well i have no business in Indonesia so cool