News

Taiwo Obasanjo’s attempt to postpone Son’s Wedding comes to an Abrupt End

BellaNaija.com

Taiwo Obasanjo, wife to the former President Olusegun Obasanjo has seen her attempts to postpone the wedding of their son Olujonwo Obasanjo come to an abrupt end after an Ikeja High Court on Monday, dismissed the suit filed by her.

The suit was dismissed by Justice Lateefa Okunnu on the grounds that the court lacked jurisdiction as Olujonwo, 33, is an adult.

On March 27, I ordered counsel to direct me on whether the family court can hear a case where the child is an adult. Counsel have addressed me and I have read the processes before me.

I have found to be very genuine, what the applicant said regarding performing her parental duties in paragraph 15 of her affidavit. The court, regrettably, lacks the competence to adjudicate this suit, the jurisdiction of the family court covers children under the age of 18 years.

The respondent’s son is 33-years-old, this negates the ability of this court to entertain this suit. The proper order to give is one dismissing this suit in its entirety, I hereby dismiss this suit,” the judge said.

The former President and Sir Kessington Adebutu were both absent in court but Taiwo was present.

She wants the wedding postponed to any day after June 1 which is Olujonwo’s 34th birthday and had filed a suit on March 27 to ensure this happens, However, it looks like the wedding which is scheduled for May 11 will hold according to plans.

Taiwo insisted that she had received various warnings and prophecies from men of God over her son warning him not to be involved in any elaborate celebration before his birthday.

Earlier during proceedings, Bode Olanipekun, counsel to Obasanjo and Adebutu, had asked to court the dismiss the suit due to lack of jurisdiction.

We urge your Lordship to dismiss this suit based on jurisdictional challenges. Under Section 261 of the Child’s Act, this court has no jurisdiction because the child is above 18-years.

The claimants have not disclosed a reasonable cause of action and no laws were cited in their address. I urge your Lordship to dismiss this suit,” Olanipekun said.

1. Alz

April 11, 2017 at 5:32 am

E bi like say this mama don kolo upstairs!! They should evaluate her for dementia…

2. henri

April 11, 2017 at 6:13 am

Is this a joke?

3. Nkem

April 11, 2017 at 7:37 am

I no fit laff???????. What am I reading here biko.?????

4. SMH

April 11, 2017 at 7:42 am

I was just waiting for this decision to be made. What kind if this is asking a constitutional court of law to do? Does she think it’s a kangaroo court? Mcthew. This is a matter to be settled by their pastor or village chiefs not our busy Nigerian courts!
    Mcthew!

5. Ariere

April 11, 2017 at 7:49 am

All these our overzealous Nigerian Parents tho. Lol.

6. Joke

April 11, 2017 at 8:02 am

Jesus! If she’s suing for the date of her adult son’s wedding, I can only imagine what she has in store for the young couple…

7. Lliki

April 11, 2017 at 8:19 am

The kind of mother in law one should avoid. People being allowing fake prophecies to destroy their peace of mind and their families.

The court has done well.

8. Blueberry

April 11, 2017 at 9:03 am

The truth will prevail. There is more to this than just prophecies!
    They say if you see a rat running into fire, then what is following it is hotter than that fire.
    What will push a mother to go to the extent of taking something this trivial to court????

• saide

April 11, 2017 at 10:27 am

All i know is there is something fishy about the whole thing.Some of these promininent men are into rituals and their wives have had to suffer through it.I mean Obasanjo is not exactly one I would refer to as squeaky clean! He has the clout to frustrate and also employ manipulation.Manipulation is a crazy thing, some1 can just turn every1 against you and you are powerless to stop it! I know people don not believe in the supernatural but others who have witnessed it know that there is indeed a supernatural & when you witness it, you might be tempted to do things you never dreamed of.

• LemmeRant

April 11, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Lol. If you know all the etutu and the ebo(s) this people do, you will just face front and observe from afar.

As per the babe:
      There is money involved. End of story.

9. Cece

April 11, 2017 at 9:15 am

So the girl getting married to her son is still carrying her head inside this family with this kind of mother-in-law

• just saying

April 11, 2017 at 10:00 am

My dear I tire……….. is it by force to marry OBJ’s son.
      This story is more than what this woman is saying. She should come out direct and say she doesn’t want her son marrying Tope. Will I blaim her……….. HELL NO.
      The woman is a loose screw, so is her future in-law. Then the daughter in-law now follows very closely behind them.
      The person I pity in all this is the groom. He doesn’t know what he is getting himself into.
      People that know this story will testify to what I’m saying.
      The Mrs Obasanjo is someone even OBJ couldn’t tame, iv heard the gist of how she washed him in the 80s when they separated. And you know what it means for even tough OBJ to be tired of your matter.
      She has now even gone further to File a letter to Inspector General of Police. That the girls mother, the girl and her own brother are planning an assassination on her life.
      Let me stop here.

10. Huh?

April 11, 2017 at 10:04 am

@just saying – what exactly are you trying to say?

11. MurdaSheWrote

April 11, 2017 at 10:52 am

I’m not one to believe these so called prophecies. But guys what if something actually happens to him, or probably his mum if/because he marries before his 34th birthday. Hmmm. God biko keep me distant from this kind of situations o. LOL.

12. Somto

April 11, 2017 at 11:29 am

That is why we have JESUS all these drama cos of some spoken words from “A man of God”.

13. Ms B

April 11, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Kudos to the judge. Very succinct ruling. No need for long talk. Its the boy i pity the most. Too many issues

14. hmmmmm

April 11, 2017 at 5:58 pm

The thing a young man can see standing up, his mother can see sitting down, and not even looking at that direction.
    If i were the boy, i would heed my mother’s voice.
    His sister got married, and there was nothing in the media….that definitely speaks volume!!!!!
    #ItIsWell.
    Will just advice his mother to keep praying for him.