Scoop

“The Holy Spirit gave me that name” – Toke Makinwa on how she got the Title of her Memoir

BellaNaija.com

Toke Makinwa

Media personality Toke Makinwa in an Instagram post on Friday revealed how she came about the title for her memoir, On Becoming.

The first time author who is continuing her book tour in the U.S. later this month wrote:

Someone asked me why the title “On Becoming”. The Holy Spirit gave me that name. I remember thinking of a name for this project and when I got “OnBecoming…” I wasn’t quite sure why or what it meant in totality but on a flight to Houston yesterday it hit me, I am a work in progress, no full stop till I’m gone. I am unfinished, incomplete, the story is still being written, the race is long and God has given me purpose. The last few years of my life hasn’t been the easiest but thru it all I have grown, I am becoming. I’ve heard people say “are you the only one to go thru tough times” and my response remains the same. – what did you do with what you went thru? How did you help someone else grow thru your struggle, the purpose is always bigger than the pain, did you learn all you have to keep it to yourself?
It’s ok not to get the vision, it is not for everyone. I feel Empowered, I feel chosen, and again the lord has sent me on another mission. Something big is coming.. #Imusthavemyown#OnBecomingEmpowered #2017mission#onbecomingbytokemakinwa#onbecomingmedatour
#itsbiggerthanme

1. Jade Edo babe

April 14, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Toke abeg don’t kill me with laughter this morning.
    So the Holy Spirit didn’t warn you before you enta fire. I hope you are not just milking this but a personal growth for yourself spiritually and mentally.
    When a man don’t love you, move on. Use it as a time to work on yourself.
    The love you searching for, validation you are looking for only Christ can give you.

• A Real Nigerian

April 14, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Leave Toke alone and go continue with your witchcraft. Don’t come here and deceive us with talks about Christ.

• Osa

April 14, 2017 at 8:05 pm

i wonder o. this jade edo babe is falling my hand if she is truly an edo babe

Toke is winning whether u like it or not. people just cant stand seeing others happy and successful with their plans in life. She;s done a lot for women folk. Im telling u but some are too ‘JADED’ to see

2. Paul Adeyemo

April 14, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Olosho calling holy spirit, Ashiere

3. Deeeee

April 14, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hmmmm….Holy Spirit ALSO teaches US how to dress….#JustSaying

4. Deeeee

April 14, 2017 at 2:08 pm

It is well oh. One day the Holy Spirit will reveal Himself truly to you. You cannot keep calling Him and him not show up. It is indeed well, 🙂

5. Lliki

April 14, 2017 at 2:15 pm

God is really patient and full of mercy. Toke calling the “Holy Spirit” with that her sinful mouth, forgetting that the Holy Spirit doesn’t support slandering, lying, pre marital sex, adultery etc…

The devil is still learning where some Nigerian girls are.
    Holy Spirit indeed.

BN, if you guys like use my comment as Easter salad!

6. Ngozi

April 14, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Holy Spirit X Chanel / designer bags and million dollars from a book that highlights other peoples fault (that we already knew!)Ok! Well done ma

7. Geraldine Ogwe

April 14, 2017 at 2:28 pm

The Holy Spirit can actually minister to anybody, especially the perceived sinner. Ask Saul=Paul. If the Lord has an assignment for you after your mistake.He will surely minister to you. I believe Toke just as I also believe we can hear ourselves or satan and assume the Holy Spirit spoke.

8. Just wondering

April 14, 2017 at 2:31 pm

If the Holy Spirit can talk to her about the title of a book, I guess he would have talked to her about her inappropriate breast exposure. I guess she’s just not listening or her Holy Spirit is different from the gentle and decent spirit that the Bible describes.

9. Ottawa Queen

April 14, 2017 at 2:53 pm

If she says so, then so it is. Let it be!! When it comes to things of the spirit, there’s really no need for arguments & controversies, cus we really can’t tell. Can you?? I’m out!

10. Deeee

April 14, 2017 at 3:08 pm

PLS POST MY COMMENTS….THANKS

11. Deeee

April 14, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Hmmmm….Holy Spirit ALSO teaches US how to dress….#JustSaying

12. Deeee

April 14, 2017 at 3:14 pm

It is well oh. One day the Holy Spirit will reveal Himself truly to you. You cannot keep calling Him and him not show up. It is indeed well, ?:)

13. Grace

April 14, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Toke reminds me of myself after an abusive relationship in the university. I was a popular girl and at that time, to hear everyone speak negatively about the situation broke me and drove me to prayer. Toke, you will be fine, trust me but you are not fine yet and even that is okay. God will heal you completely one day and when you hear the name Maje, ‘you’ll feel nothing. In the words of Cece Winas ‘one morning you’ll awake to find there’s one last tear, then you’ll heal, you’ll heal, I believe you will’. The people calling you all sorts, while some are just uncouth, your situation is Dejavu for them.

You’ll look back years from now at this point and actually be thankful but darling, that’s only if you don’t pretend to yourself that you’re strong when you’re not. Note yourself oh, you owe no one else.

May God heal you completely.

PS: BN, this babe posted this on her Instagram early this week except Toke is getting some revenue off your blog, I think it’s wrong to keep using her to get traffic and comments. Y’all be acting like you’re anti bullying and all.

14. kay

April 14, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Lol! Our wahala is too much in this country. Someone cannot express herself in peace again lol

15. hmmmn

April 14, 2017 at 3:43 pm

You keep saying the holy spirit ministered to you, God told you to write this book, you wrote this book to inspire, ok lets say I believe you, please what have you done with this platform other than display your material things business class trips to London US etc. Seems to me like it’s all about the money fame jet set lifestyle to you, how many schools have you been to to speak to young girls nowadays who are so lacking of selfwofth like you wrote about in your book, by all means enjoy your life congrats to you on all your success but pls some of us are not fools and see right through you.

16. Munachimso

April 14, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Toke, I’m not saying the Holy Spirit didn’t say anything..
    But e don do? Who have really used this your situation..
    Thank you!!

17. Marlee

April 14, 2017 at 3:58 pm

People can be foolish sometimes. Imagine yourself all alone just thinking and all of a sudden a thought or idea come to mind. Is that not a Holy Spirit guiding you. How do you think a holy spirit talk to prophet. It’s through dreams and other revelations. It’s what you perceive it to be. Full stop.

18. Stunning

April 14, 2017 at 4:29 pm

I don’t see any Inappropriate Breast Exposure

• rizon

April 14, 2017 at 4:49 pm

You must like breast ohhhhhh — lol

19. Lizzy

April 14, 2017 at 5:06 pm

?????????? laugh wan scatter my salvation

20. Sugamama

April 14, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Human beings (but I really mean Nigerians), chai. Just because someone doesn’t do Christianity the same way you do, the Holy Spirit can’t talk to her?
    You seem to forget God cannot be put in a box.
    Meanwhile, those of you criticizing, how are you sure the Holy Spirit has spoken to you?
    Check the plank in your eye first please.

• Eep

April 15, 2017 at 10:57 am

My eyes!! My eyesss!! This plank won’t let me see. Helpppp!!!

21. Browsing

April 14, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Straight to comments !!
    Not disappointed, ROTFL.

22. Courage

April 14, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Toke the Toke….like someone said we cant really questions the things of the spirit. Please start winning souls with this platform that u have. I pray the holy spirit comforts you and direct you as u forge ahead in life.

23. Anonymous

April 14, 2017 at 7:48 pm

God never contradicts His words. The content of the book (irrespective of the intention) slandered individuals at whose expense you are cashing in.
    Love (agape) covers a multitude of sins and God is LOVE. He may have given you the title but I doubt He encouraged the content or you simply refused to let him guide you on how to write the book more constructively without anyone getting hurt.

• Solar

April 19, 2017 at 2:04 am

I like this – love covers a multitude of sins

24. tunmi

April 14, 2017 at 7:55 pm

I actually like this gehl. Madam wehdone. Continue jor.

25. Just my 2 Kobo

April 15, 2017 at 2:57 am

LMFAOO. Toke, Toke, Toke, how many times did I call your name?? 😀

Anyways, there are different types of spirits out there. Not all of them be holy.