Scoop

Exclusive: Omowunmi Akinnifesi stars in Nivea Ad | WATCH

Omowunmi Akinnifesi NiveaFashion entrepreneur/Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria 2005 Omowunmi Akinnifesi is the face of Nivea‘s new campaign in Nigeria. She stars in the ad for Nivea Natural Fairness Body Lotion.

While most who viewed the ad have loved it, several commenters have called to question one of the quotes from the ad – “now I have visibly fairer skin making me feel younger”.

Watch

1. funmilola

May 17, 2017 at 9:52 am

Is omowunmi fair in complexion?

2. Siju

May 17, 2017 at 10:04 am

Yes she bleached, with all sorts of knuckle and acne problems

• Tyarow

May 18, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I’m sure her bleaching will keep you miserably sad for some time, while she’s busy earning money and enjoying her. Have a sulking day.

• Kehinde

May 19, 2017 at 4:59 pm

And you know all this because you woke up beside her everyday of her life since she was born abi? You are just bitter. Omowunmi is beautiful. she has been in the scene since she was 18 and she has flourished into a woman. Well done Omowunmi. They will envy you but they will also admire you. All part of the success plan. Kudos Nivea. You chose the best of them as the face of your brand.

3. LonelyGirl...

May 17, 2017 at 10:07 am

Why was this video shot in South Africa?

4. Didi

May 17, 2017 at 10:24 am

Not impressed with the acting and voice over.

• Tyarow

May 18, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Can you do any better? Stop being a joy wrecker. I’m sure frog voice better than yours.

• Ijeoma

May 19, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Because it is a Nollywood movie abi? They should have used you, since you are already an Actress in your reality. Fake ass. Oya nah lets see your own ad. Omowunmi is smiling to the bank. Be there looking for Oscar winner

5. Mr.A

May 17, 2017 at 10:44 am

Visibly fairer skin kwa? Restore your skin to natural fairness? I don’t even know what to say.

6. Kosi

May 17, 2017 at 10:54 am

So a fairer skin means a younger look? @ a real Nigerian get in here. What the heck? The reverse is actually the case. Dark people look younger. Watch “the expendables” and compare Wesley snipes to the rest of them. Rubbish.

• Yinka

May 19, 2017 at 5:27 pm

WOW! So ALL dark people in this world look younger than light people. Clap for yourself!!!! They are advertising a product I’m sure the product nourishes as well, hence the younger looking “Glowing” skin. Ive been using this product. My skin glows and I’m not yellow, in fact I’m caramel but my glow is just beautifully fair. So I’m brown but i glow

7. mz_danielz

May 17, 2017 at 11:11 am

When I watched the ad and heard the line ‘your sister is here’, I’m like, what’s the connection.

To be fair to the marketing team though, we may not like it but it seems Nigerian ladies want to be fair and in a recession, brands don’t want to be politically correct anymore. It growth in market share and sales or the marketing team gets fired.

• Bade

May 17, 2017 at 11:54 am

So a recession justifies the disposal of dignity. Got it.

• funmilola

May 17, 2017 at 12:43 pm

That’s a wrong generalization, not all Nigerian ladies want to be fair,some of us are in love with our brown skin.

• Yinka

May 19, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Please getting a glow is anyones preference. Just like people that use vasiline to retain their dark glow. its all a matter of preference.

What does dignity have to do with anything? Ode please your are talking about color, fairness and glow. People do plastic surgery to change their nose, belly and bum but you hail them while some people want to get fairer but you say they are loosing their dignity. “Wisdom will fill your hear and Knowledge will be pleasant to your soul” Amen

8. onos

May 17, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Its not all about fair black is beautiful jire my people

9. Joke

May 17, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I can’t get over how she pushed her bombom out to hug the child. lmao,

• Nv

May 17, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Lol

• Tyarow

May 18, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Wow, is that the only part of her you noticed? You must’ve a thing or two for women. Humm…

10. Truth

May 17, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Na wa o! Dark skinned people have suffered in this world sha. You hear artistes sing “you ain’t even light skinned”. You hear people say, “she is pretty for a dark skinned girl!”, and now this? Fairness also equates youth? How ridiculous! Foolishness on fleek! What a shame NIVEA!

• Ope

May 19, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Ode. Nivea also has normal products, go and do your research. When they are talking about youth I’m sure they mean a glow. EVERYONE hopes to glow youthfully. So you need to give yourself brain. Yes fairness glow that adds radiance to your skin can give you a youthful look. Please you people should stop seeking for attention here jare.

11. debbie

May 17, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I have been using this lotion for over 4 years and truth be told, it has ‘failed’ to lighten my skin…my complexion hasn’t changed but yes, my skin gloowwwssss.
    if their intent is for it to lighten, they should try harder.

12. mz_danielz

May 17, 2017 at 1:58 pm

@ Bade, I am clearly against this ad.

But when there’s a recession, marketing budget is cut and there is so much pressure on marketing to show ROI. Our lovely jargon like TOMA, Consumer affinity, don’t mean anything.

At this point, marketers just want to sell. The perception that Nivea is for dark people and the fact that Nigerians seem to believe fair is beautiful (whether that is right or wrong is a topic for another day) might have informed this ad.

We can rant about this on Bella but then the Target Audience of BN will be ABC1 (going by what most try to portray themselves as) and we are in the minority and also might not use Nivea.

The larger population the C2D need to look fair and tush at an effective price and they don’t care about these social issues to be honest. (There is a lot of fakery in Nigeria. You know runs girls putting Nivea in a Clarins bottle if the former is really an effective fairness enhancer – Packaging l’omo).

I do not support this ad but as a marketing personnel, I might have a feel as to the insight behind it. Bear in mind that I haven’t carried out any consumer or market profiling of the cosmetics industry. I’m just talking based on marketing expertise.

I hope you read this response with an open mind. Few people have the guts to do what’s right when jobs are on the line and if all marketing objectives are met or even exceeded,, this campaign will be termed successful and the marketing director and/ or marketing manager might get a promotion.

• bibi

May 17, 2017 at 5:43 pm

so you wrote this episode for? lol why exactly?

• For me

May 17, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I found the long episode informative.

• Tyarow

May 18, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Some people are brain lazy readers and they think it’s funny to chuckle at what they often call long “episode”. @bibi can’t write good sentence either. Lol! No wonder then for the veiled jealous.

13. VivaMaria

May 17, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Well NIVEA has different types of cream, if this is targeted for fair-inclined people, then there’s no problem, Nivea has been known for giving that glow so if it lights you up too along the way, there’s nothing wrong with that.

14. aj

May 18, 2017 at 12:58 am

nawa for this ad ooo! I love Nivea..The smell of their cream. I recently bought one from the store (not this particular one) and the smell is so good almost like it is a perfume.